Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,818 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! (15383 Views)

The Umale Festival Of The Ilaje And Itsekiri People / Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri / Meet The Ofoni People Of Bayelsa, The Only Urhobo Tribe In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Antiscam1: 1:51pm On Mar 01, 2011
Hi,welcome to the Ilaje quarter of Nairaland,AYEMAFUGE Ilaje!,AWAYEEE!!.We are very proud of our heritage because we have many FIRST in NAIJA
namely,
1.The Ilaje people is d only oil producing tribe in Yoruba land(south west)
2.The Ilaje occupies d longest coastal line in Nigeria
3.We are the most SEA-savvy tribe in Nigeria,A boy of 12 years can single handedly go into several phantoms of d sea and return wit fishes worth several millions.
Contribute ur quota,how much do u know about ilaje and d people?

2 Likes

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by bashr4: 4:08pm On Mar 04, 2011
i thought we are ijaws
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by jason123: 12:47am On Mar 05, 2011
bashr4:

i thought we are ijaws

No, they are Indians! wink

1 Like

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Antiscam1: 12:20pm On Mar 05, 2011
@bashr4,We are not IJAWS but we are ILAJE.Besides d IJAWs are not yoruba.BUT ILAJES are Yorubas with dier ancestral home found in ILAJE local govt of ONDO state.dis local govt is made up of about 90% riverine and 10% upland.However,u can find d ILAJE pple any where there is water especially one dat is big enough to support fishing.
Above all,d IJAW people has no IDEA of d sea,so their activities is usually restricted to INLAND water,unlike d ILAJES who are SEA SAVVY

3 Likes

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Nobody: 12:21pm On Mar 05, 2011
Above all,d IJAW people has no IDEA of d sea,so their activities is usually restricted to INLAND water,unlike d ILAJES who are SEA SAVVY

interesting pov
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 05, 2011
bashr4 is igbo.

he's being sarcastic.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Afam4eva(m): 12:13pm On Mar 10, 2011
When did Ilajes become yorubas.

@OP
it's obvious you don't know your origin. Ilaje people are Ijaws. CHIKENA.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by oludashmi(f): 1:42pm On Mar 10, 2011
afam4eva:

When did Ilajes become yorubas.

@OP
it's obvious you don't know your origin. Ilaje people are Ijaws. CHIKENA.
So you know her origin, culture, dialect (sub lang), land and people more than her? Go ahead and teach her if he/she tells you he/she has identity crises. 

2 Likes

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Antiscam1: 3:06pm On Mar 10, 2011
@Afam4evah,haba.are u sure u are even a Nigerian?how dere u argue dat ILAJE are ijaws,u sounds so meaningless .Afterall,d name ILAJE reflects YORUBA(common sense).We are not IJAW BUT ILAJE and we are typical yoruba in and out!,d only thing we have in common with d IJAW is d fact dat both ILAJE & IJAW are occupies coastal parts of Nigeria. nothing more.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Antiscam1: 12:02pm On Apr 07, 2011
Ayemafuge!
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by AljUche: 1:15pm On Apr 07, 2011
Anti-scam:

Ayemafuge!

so how do ilaje people see yoruba people and nigerians

what is their connection with awori and egun people

what is their connection with itsekiri and urhobo

thanks smiley
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Nobody: 5:55am On Apr 08, 2011
one day someone will ask if the english are english.

1 Like

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Antiscam1: 7:39am On Apr 08, 2011
Alj Uche:

so how do ilaje people see yoruba people and nigerians

what is their connection with awori and egun people

what is their connection with itsekiri and urhobo

thanks smiley
Who are yoruba people?,dere is not single tribe called YORUBA.the yorubas are made of ethnics like
Ijebu,Ikale,Ilaje,Egba etc.Dey all ve their own dialects dat reflects a little of d general YORUBA,dey are all found in
d western part of Nigeria.
As for d connection with Awori,Egun,itsekiri,urhobo.There is no special connection other dan being either neighbours

or common settlers in such areas with water body or sea.this is because all d tribes above have a common RICH histoy of
fishing!
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by PRINCEOMA: 8:20pm On Apr 12, 2011
smiley winkNow here we go again.arguments on the ILAJES.let me clerify something here.firstly,Ilajes are not Yorubas neither are Ijaws.A short history of the Ilajes goes forth:the ilajes settled down at Ile-Ife - at which time they were known as UGBOS-long before the yorubas did.amongst the kings that ruled then were,Kutukutu oba ugbo,EKENWA,AJANORON,etc.The benins came firto live with them and later he became the ruler of ugbo empire as a result of a problem that befalled the ugbo royal family.so they decided to pick someone with integrity from the people they rule over to act pending the time the problem of the royal family stops.So oduduwa who was at that time the new head of the yoruba clans,was picked after the ugbo[ilajes] consulted with the yorubas.this lead to disagreement and some of the ugbos led by oreluere[obatala] left ife to settle at oke-ugbo then known as oke mafunranyan.the place that later on became the war camp of the ilajes when they were fighting against the yorubas in other to regain their land back.on losing the war,the ilajes left oke-igbo to settle at the coast were we are now led by ORONMAKEN[known as olowo or olowonatunfewa by the yorubas]son of AJANORON and some other ilajes.so you see do not say what u do not know or what u re not sure of.be proud of who u are.TOU ARE ILAJE not yoruba or whatever.PRINCE OMA AGANMUYI.you can add me on facebook aganmuyi damilola for more details.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by AljUche: 10:44pm On Apr 12, 2011
T[b]he Ilajes are a distinguished, distinct linguistic group of the Yoruba stalk made up of four geo-political entities namely Ugbo, Mahin, Etikan and Aheri.[/b]

They were said to have left ILE-IFE their original ancestral home/settlement in the 10th century. They mainly occupy the Atlantic coastline of Ondo State of Nigeria while a large population of them settles on land in the hinterland. The area they occupy today remains the Ondo State of Nigeria only outlet to the sea.

ILAJELAND is bounded by the Ijebus to the West, the Ikale to the North, the Itsekiri to the East. The APOI and Arogbo Ijaw to the North East, while the Atlantic ocean formed the southern boundary. No doubt, the Ilajes are one of the most dynamic and enterprising people in Nigeria. Their aquatic skill, coupled with their high adaptational ability enable them to conquer their hash geographical environment and turn it to a big advantage. Consequently, they were able to build large communities like Ugbonla, Aiyetoro, Zion PePe and Orioke. Aiyetoro for example in it's hey-days had the highest per capital income in the whole of Africa and attracted visitors, tourists and researchers from all over the world especially Europe, Canada, and America.

Apart from petroleum which is largely found in the area for which Ondo State today is recognized as an oil producing State. Other mineral raw materials that are abundantly available in Ilajeland include Glass Sand, Salt, Tar Sand, Quartz and Clay while Agro raw materials include fish, poultry, maize, Palm oil vegetables, Timber, Rafia, Poultry Okro, Cocoyam, Banana, Cassava, and Piggery.

The natural environment of Ilajeland is particularly suitable for the development of large scale Rice plantation and Salt industry.

The occupational activities of the Ilajes include fishing, canoe making, lumbering net making, mat making, Launch building, farming and trading.

Igbokoda, the Ilaje local government headquarters is fast becoming an international trade center as it popular market attracts traders not only from other part of Nigeria, but, also from other African countries especially Togo Benin, Ghana, Cameroon and Gabon.

The closeness of Ilajeland to Lagos which is only about 75 kilometers and its aquatic environment present the area as a suitable environment for Tourism development. It is hoped that the Ondo State Government and indeed the Federal Government of Nigeria will realize the importance of the pleasant natural geographical condition of the area and develop it into a world class Tourist Attraction/Center.

In the past the entire area suffered serious neglect and marginalization in the hand of government. However, it appears that the Ondo State Government has come to realize the importance of Ilajeland not only because it is her only outlet to the sea but also because it is her economic power House. The State is now constructing a net work of road linking the area with the hinterland and has promised to provide basic social amenities including electricity and drinkable pipe bone water.

The Highlight of the Ondo State recent development effort or project in the area is the acquisition of about 200 hectares of land to be developed and built as a satellite town for the people displayed from their homes in towns and villages on the Atlantic Coastline as a result of petroleum drilling and exploratory activities.
No doubt, there is a big future for the area especially with the Olokola Development project by Ondo and Ogun State Governments.

The Ondo State Government and indeed the Federal Government of Nigeria should see or recognize ILAJELAND as an important visible economic asset and focus invest and embark on the speedy development of the area.
http://ilajeusa.com/History.htm
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by pak: 2:45pm On Jun 09, 2011
Great to know that there is a thread dedicated to Ilaje /Ese Odo on Nairaland.

I just developed a site for the two oil producing communities.

Pls, I'l appreciate if you can check it out and critique the work. Don't forget to leave your comments on the site.
The URl is

www.ilajeeseodo.com
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by udezue(m): 12:15am On Jun 10, 2011
Are we supposed to clap for the Ilaje because ur land has oil? Smh!! Lazy mentality.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Obalufon: 10:27pm On Jul 23, 2012
PRINCE OMA: smiley winkNow here we go again.arguments on the ILAJES.let me clerify something here.firstly,Ilajes are not Yorubas neither are Ijaws.A short history of the Ilajes goes forth:the ilajes settled down at Ile-Ife - at which time they were known as UGBOS-long before the yorubas did.amongst the kings that ruled then were,Kutukutu oba ugbo,EKENWA,AJANORON,etc.The benins came firto live with them and later he became the ruler of ugbo empire as a result of a problem that befalled the ugbo royal family.so they decided to pick someone with integrity from the people they rule over to act pending the time the problem of the royal family stops.So oduduwa who was at that time the new head of the yoruba clans,was picked after the ugbo[ilajes] consulted with the yorubas.this lead to disagreement and some of the ugbos led by oreluere[obatala] left ife to settle at oke-ugbo then known as oke mafunranyan.the place that later on became the war camp of the ilajes when they were fighting against the yorubas in other to regain their land back.on losing the war,the ilajes left oke-igbo to settle at the coast were we are now led by ORONMAKEN[known as olowo or olowonatunfewa by the yorubas]son of AJANORON and some other ilajes.so you see do not say what u do not know or what u re not sure of.be proud of who u are.TOU ARE ILAJE not yoruba or whatever.PRINCE OMA AGANMUYI.you can add me on facebook aganmuyi damilola for more details.

Are you ilaje? stop twisting history.

1 Like

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by ayeseadewale: 2:04pm On Mar 02, 2013
Obalufon:

Are you ilaje? stop twisting history.
You should shut up ur dirty mouth first before asking someone that talk sense to stop twisting history.Ilajes are the only Oil Producing Area in Oluwa land and have many of first in the history of Nigeria, Ilaje is a land with riches.
AYEMAFUGE!!!!!!!
AWAYEE!!!
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by ayeseadewale: 7:54pm On Mar 02, 2013
Anti-scam:
Ayemafuge!
AWAYEE!!!! may God bless you for this trend about our homeland.... I love ILAJE and i am proud to be.......
The pride of the YOURUBAS
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by ayeseadewale: 7:57pm On Mar 02, 2013
bashr4: i thought we are ijaws
Mad man, dont you go to School?

1 Like

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by seunny4lif(m): 10:54pm On Mar 02, 2013
We dey here bt nt prof in my local language oooo.Got arrested for speaking the lang to my Gr.mother becos she jst fainted instantly becos my own na 2 hiroshima nuclear weapon..Broda anle ooo abi joor,I no knw the writing...
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by Odunharry(m): 12:13am On Mar 03, 2013
ilaje ayemafugee
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by ODUANEGRO: 10:34am On Mar 03, 2013
Anti-scam:
@bashr4,We are not IJAWS but we are ILAJE.Besides d IJAWs are not yoruba.BUT ILAJES are Yorubas with dier ancestral home found in ILAJE local govt of ONDO state.dis local govt is made up of about 90% riverine and 10% upland.However,u can find d ILAJE pple any where there is water especially one dat is big enough to support fishing.

that explains why ijaw only worship water but not the sea. whereas ilaje do worship the sea.
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by skfa1: 10:58am On Mar 03, 2013
I'm from Ilaje. Ilaje are from Yoruba land. My dad speaks both Yoruba n Ilaje fluently.

I only found out after I'm back from UK after 7 years that Ilaje has been created as a local government.

So nothing like Ilaje-ese odo.

We are Ilajes.

AYEMAFUGE!
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by ayeseadewale: 9:43pm On Mar 03, 2013
skfa1:
I'm from Ilaje. Ilaje are from Yoruba land. My dad speaks both Yoruba n Ilaje fluently.

I only found out after I'm back from UK after 7 years that Ilaje has been created as a local government.

So nothing like Ilaje-ese odo.

We are Ilajes.

AYEMAFUGE!
Correct!!! We are the Owner while the Ijaws are the Tenants. We have our Local Government as ILAJE, no more Ilaje-Ese odo. We are born of Oduduwa from Ile-Ife, the only Oil Producing area of Yoruba land......

2 Likes

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by ayeseadewale: 9:45pm On Mar 03, 2013
Odunharry: ilaje ayemafugee
AWAYEE!!!
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by seunny4lif(m): 3:36am On Mar 04, 2013
Am frm RED MOUNTAIN in ondo state.....
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:41pm On Mar 06, 2013
Anti-scam:
@Afam4evah,haba.are u sure u are even a Nigerian?how dere u argue dat ILAJE are ijaws,u sounds so meaningless .Afterall,d name ILAJE reflects YORUBA(common sense).We are not IJAW BUT ILAJE and we are typical yoruba in and out!,d only thing we have in common with d IJAW is d fact dat both ILAJE & IJAW are occupies coastal parts of Nigeria. nothing more.

Alhaji harem and his land grabbing antics...smh. tomorow you will claim itchekiri...ode lomo!
Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by ayeseadewale: 10:48pm On Mar 14, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

Alhaji harem and his land grabbing antics...smh. tomorow you will claim itchekiri...ode lomo!
@ Odenigbo Aroli, you are mad, the Itshekiri knows their boundry from ours, it is ur father that is Odelomo........
You are a bastard goat.. God punish u for that insulting word

3 Likes

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by mayehunta: 8:10am On Mar 22, 2013
everyone has the right to talk about where he or she is from ...aiyemafuge ......awayeeee ....well ...The Ilaje people have come a long way but because of their nearness to river banks in the city has made everyone think they are nothing to write home about ...I am proud to be ONE ...and will forever will ...

apart from the OIL ...check out the holy-spirit inspired music from the Ilaje folks...

Thanks for this ...

AIYEMAFUGE ...AWAAYEEEEE

1 Like

Re: Ilaje People(the Only Oil Producing Tribe In Yoruba Land):let Us Meet Here! by ayeseadewale: 10:10pm On Apr 21, 2013
mayehunta: everyone has the right to talk about where he or she is from ...aiyemafuge ......awayeeee ....well ...The Ilaje people have come a long way but because of their nearness to river banks in the city has made everyone think they are nothing to write home about ...I am proud to be ONE ...and will forever will ...

apart from the OIL ...check out the holy-spirit inspired music from the Ilaje folks...

Thanks for this ...

AIYEMAFUGE ...AWAAYEEEEE
God bless you brother

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Celebrates 2 Years In Power / No More Witches In Ile-Ife - Ooni Of Ife / Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.