Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,950 members, 7,806,743 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

Beware Of Car Dealers - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Beware Of Car Dealers (4151 Views)

Tokunbo Car Business: How Car Dealers Import Clean Cars From USA To Nigeria / Top 10 Car Dealers In Nigeria You Can Rely On / Car Dealers Besiege Customs Office With Vehicle Documents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of Car Dealers by shortgun(m): 10:28pm On Sep 26, 2020
Ok.
Let me share my experience today.
My cousin bought a Toyota Highlander like 6 months ago.
I was very mad with his choice of brand cos I am a die hard Benz person..for me it's Benz or nothing.
He later brought the vehicle to receive my blessings.
After enough booze to celebrate his first car,I forgave him for going against my advice grin
I inspected the vehicle and everything was in place..it was neat and stable.
I congratulated him and wished him well.

After like a month he started to call me for one issue or the other about the vehicle.

I wanted to tell him...I told you so; but as senior man wey I be,I was always there for him.
The vehicle have been having various problems AC, suspension,loss of acceleration, bad plugs, ignition coils e.t.c

Today he called that the vehicle can't rev past 2000rpm, I asked him if the check engine light is showing and he said NO.
After my activities for the day, I took the highlander for a test drive and confirmed what he told me on phone.
I took it to a mechanic workshop and they plugged a scanner..the vehicle was having numerous problems yet the check engine light was not showing.

I told them something was wrong.
I told them to dismantle the intrustment cluster.
After the dismantling the instrument cluster, we discovered that the dealer he bought the vehicle from blocked the check light with cellophane and black insulation tape, preventing the check light and other fault lights from illuminating...I was furious.

This is just wickedness of the highest order.
How do people like these sleep in the night?
My cousin have been swearing for the dealer for 2 hrs straight on phone grin grin grin
I guess you have to dismantle instrument cluster (dashboard) these days before buying a vehicle in this country cheesy

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by identitylenz(m): 10:35pm On Sep 26, 2020
very hmmable that's really bad what if it's so bad and it got out of hand and had lead to an accident mtchew that's evil

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by Elsueno: 11:13pm On Sep 26, 2020
Nope, you don't need to dismantle the instrument cluster. These bling bling modern cars have a certain function that can help grin

Whenever you on them, ALL OF THE NOTIFICATIONS LIGHTS on the dash will turn on I.e Engine lights, ABS, hand brake, EPS..etc In short everything will turn on temporary then go off. Now if one isn't on, then know that PROBLEM DEY grin

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by VickyRotex(f): 11:15pm On Sep 26, 2020
Like the FTC said, that's really terrible. Something worse could have happened. Thankfully it didn't.

Indeed how do people sleep at night after such heartlessness?
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by shortgun(m): 11:34pm On Sep 26, 2020
identitylenz:
very hmmable
that's really bad
what if it's so bad and it got out of hand and had lead to an accident
mtchew
that's evil
I can't believe people can be this evil
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by Nobody: 11:56pm On Sep 26, 2020
shortgun:
Ok.
I guess you have to dismantle instrument cluster (dashboard) these days before buying a vehicle in this country cheesy

Some of the lights (CEL inclusive) on the instrument cluster illuminate as you start the vehicle. Should have been obvious the CEL was blocked without dismantling the IC.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by Lexusgs430: 12:15am On Sep 27, 2020
shortgun:
Ok.
I was very mad with his choice of brand cos I am a die hard Benz person..for me it's Benz or nothing.
After enough booze to celebrate his first car,I forgave him for going against my advice grin

After like a month he started to call me for one issue or the other about the vehicle.

I wanted to tell him...I told you so; but as senior man wey I be,I was always there for him.
The vehicle have been having various problems AC, suspension,loss of acceleration, bad plugs, ignition coils e.t.c

Today he called that the vehicle can't rev past 2000rpm, I asked him if the check engine light is showing and he said NO.
After my activities for the day, I took the highlander for a test drive and confirmed what he told me on phone.
I took it to a mechanic workshop and they plugged a scanner..the vehicle was having numerous problems yet the check engine light was not showing.

After the dismantling the instrument cluster, we discovered that the dealer he bought the vehicle from blocked the check light with cellophane and black insulation tape, preventing the check light and other fault lights from illuminating...I was furious.

My cousin have been swearing for the dealer for 2 hrs straight on phone grin grin grin

Once you attempt to start a vehicle, once you turn the key, certain warning lights must illuminate, and go off after a few seconds.........

Some lights would stay on, till you fully engage the engine...........

Faulty lights would remain afterwards...........

His fault for not doing his DD......... A small fee of 20K, would have saved him buying this lemon........ I would suggest you do a VIN check on the vehicle( make you kuku nail the final nail in this coffin)....... cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by shortgun(m): 6:30am On Sep 27, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Once you attempt to start a vehicle, once you turn the key, certain warning lights must illuminate, and go off after a few seconds.........

Some lights would stay on, till you fully engage the engine...........

Faulty lights would remain afterwards...........

His fault for not doing his DD......... A small fee of 20K, would have saved him buying this lemon........ I would suggest you do a VIN check on the vehicle( make you kuku nail the final nail in this coffin)....... cheesy

Yes, lights will show when starting a vehicle.
In this case not all the lights will illuminate.
The dealer only blocked the faulty lights, CEL and VSC.
ABS,OIL,BATT,TRANSMISSION, COOLANT..e.t.c were not blocked.

The VIN also checks out.
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by shortgun(m): 6:31am On Sep 27, 2020
rationalmind:

Some of the lights (CEL inclusive) on the instrument cluster illuminates as you start the vehicle. Should have been obvious the CEL was blocked without dismantling the IC.
You are right.
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by weyreypey: 6:44am On Sep 27, 2020
shortgun:

I can't believe people can be this evil
There is one here who used cement to patch transmission of a Lexus! The buyer has not recovered from the trauma over four years ago...if in doubt ask dannybrasky diportivo nurey even gazzuzz.

I didn't say he has a king-size Bible o
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by kukoyi17226: 7:01am On Sep 27, 2020
:Some of the lights (CEL pluralist) on the organ grouping illuminates as you start the car. Should have been truism the CEL was blocked without dismantling the IC. You are everything.
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by dannybrasky(m): 7:05am On Sep 27, 2020
weyreypey:

There is one here who used cement to patch transmission of a Lexus! The buyer has not recovered from the trauma over four years ago...if in doubt ask dannybrasky diportivo nurey even gazzuzz.

Honourable minister, off mic off mic.

7 Likes

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:32am On Sep 27, 2020
weyreypey:

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by Lexusgs430: 7:32am On Sep 27, 2020
shortgun:

Yes, lights will show when starting a vehicle.
In this case not all the lights will illuminate.
The dealer only blocked the faulty lights, CEL and VSC.
ABS,OIL,BATT,TRANSMISSION, COOLANT..e.t.c were not blocked.

The VIN also checks out.

Once engine management light is absent.......... AB..... grin
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by promotervickky(m): 9:17am On Sep 27, 2020
shortgun:
Ok.

I told people about this thing dubious dealers do to Customers, they were against me, as they are the same people who finalize these things or something, these people would always be on my tail on every topic.

I am bringing light please

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by Onyeka90210(m): 2:35pm On Sep 27, 2020
Bruh, if you’re buying a car in Nigeria, go with your mechanic, to avoid tears
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by Lexusgs430: 3:41pm On Sep 27, 2020
Onyeka90210:
Bruh, if you’re buying a car in Nigeria, go with your mechanic, to avoid tears

Not old school mechanic(tyre kicking type) sef, a modern day technician....... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by diportivo: 6:05pm On Sep 27, 2020
weyreypey:

tunde ......sufry na grin

anyways,ta lo njeun t'aja njuru??

won wa eran oniwo,werey igbin nyoju undecided

person wey never get candle wan on light grin

olobe undecided

shortgun:

e go catch am angry

someone here swore for the person that sold him car with fake duty....and the dealers car lot got burnt cry

by virtue of that,I believe in the curses of ur cousin wrecking havoc cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by nurey(m): 6:15pm On Sep 27, 2020
diportivo:

olobe undecided

e go catch am angry

someone here swore for the person that sold him car with fake duty....and the dealers car lot got burnt cry

so Tunde nah Olobe grin nawa oooo
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by weyreypey: 6:39pm On Sep 27, 2020
nurey:

You understand Yoruba so? These egun people sha
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by diportivo: 7:10pm On Sep 27, 2020
nurey:

u don lost baje baje

try and catch up grin
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by shortgun(m): 7:16pm On Sep 27, 2020
diportivo:

olobe undecided

e go catch am angry

lol...i hope his curses will do damage to the dealer cos i am the one runing around now to get d vehicle fixed...
the guys working on it said the PCM will need to be replaced.
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:00pm On Sep 27, 2020
shortgun:

lol...i hope his curses will do damage to the dealer cos i am the one runing around now to get d vehicle fixed...
the guys working on it said the PCM will need to be replaced.

Daddy you need to be calming down.

List the issues first.
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by weyreypey: 8:18pm On Sep 27, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

List the issues first.

Are you involved?
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:27pm On Sep 27, 2020
weyreypey:

Are you involved?

Haba haba, I am just concerned as a father figure in the society wink

6 Likes

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by mejai(m): 8:28pm On Sep 27, 2020
Last 3 comments eh grin
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by weyreypey: 8:45pm On Sep 27, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Haba haba, I am just concerned as a father figure in the society wink

Be careful...this prophet ain't joking....

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by shortgun(m): 8:50pm On Sep 27, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

List the issues first.

Ignition coil A primary/secondary circuit
Ignition coil B primary/secondary circuit
Ignition coil C primary/secondary circuit
Ignition coil D primary/secondary circuit

The mechanics have done the following:
Changed airflow sensor.
Changed throttle body
Changed throttle pedel.
Changed temperature sensor.
After all these, still the vehicle won't rev past 2000 rpm.

I told them to return all the parts they changed.
I called someone and he said the PCM needs to be replaced for the vehicle to work properly.

The CEL and VSC warning lights are permanently on all the time no matter how many times they tried to erase them.
I will be happy if you can give me a lead sire.
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:38pm On Sep 27, 2020
shortgun:

Ignition coil A primary/secondary circuit
Ignition coil B primary/secondary circuit
Ignition coil C primary/secondary circuit
Ignition coil D primary/secondary circuit

The mechanics have done the following:
Changed airflow sensor.
Changed throttle body
Changed throttle pedel.
Changed temperature sensor.
After all these, still the vehicle won't rev past 2000 rpm.

I told them to return all the parts they changed.
I called someone and he said the PCM needs to be replaced for the vehicle to work properly.

The CEL and VSC warning lights are permanently on all the time no matter how many times they tried to erase them.
I will be happy if you can give me a lead sire.

Uncle it's the ignition coils that are bad. Replace all and engine will run fine
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by shortgun(m): 9:57pm On Sep 27, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

Uncle it's the ignition coils that are bad. Replace all and engine will run fine
we've done that already....
problem persists
Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by LeJeun3: 10:30pm On Sep 27, 2020
shortgun:

we've done that already....
problem persists

New units or Tokunbo??

Re: Beware Of Car Dealers by shortgun(m): 10:45pm On Sep 27, 2020
LeJeun3:

New units or Tokunbo??

Tokunbo sir.
The issue is,how can all 4 ignition coils go bad at the same time?
Even after changing them the scan is still reporting same problem.
I inspected the PCM myself, no visual damage or burnt smell ...can it be that it requires a software update?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Honda Accord 2007 EXL - Slight Vibration When Accelerating From Slow Speed. / Engine Number Wahala / 4 Signs Of A Bad Windshield Wiper Motor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.