Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,780 members, 7,802,410 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! (1764 Views)

Dog Receives Diploma Alongside Owner For Attending All Classes With Her / UI Lecturer Denies Giving Students $100 Each For Attending His Class / Adeleke University Suspends Muslim Student For Not Attending School Chapel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:03pm On Sep 27, 2020
Ejusni:

Not all jobs are on LinkedIn. I know a lot of people who're Mechanical engineers and practicing they sure didn't get employed through LinkedIn.
Stop categorizing things you don't know about. Besides how can you compare mechanical engineering and computer science? The real world isn't nairaland, you think the world revolves around programmers or Java or some geek stuff?

Like I said my advice is for those going to the university.
Mechanical engineering doesn't have much jobs again not even in its own fields of competency. This is all the available vacancies in chevron at the moment. They are mostly related to computer science

https://careers.chevron.com/professionals/job-types/maritime/international-seagoing-opportunities
Click on the find a job link to see.

Even automotive companies employ more computer scientists and software engineers than they do mechanical engineers. Those physical types of engineering are loosing relevance fast.

2 Likes

Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by Ejusni(m): 7:08pm On Sep 27, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Like I said my advice is for those going to the university.
Mechanical engineering doesn't have much jobs again not even in its own fields of competency. This is all the available vacancies in chevron at the moment. They are mostly related to computer science

https://careers.chevron.com/professionals/job-types/maritime/international-seagoing-opportunities
Click on the find a job link to see.

Even automotive companies employ more computer scientists and software engineers than they do mechanical engineers. Those physical types of engineering are loosing relevance fast.

I can't argue.

1 Like

Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by sabbiboi: 7:43pm On Sep 27, 2020
You raised reasonable points OP

All I would advice is for student to be steadfast in whatever they do. The system of the country Nigeria is failed and not determinable or foreseeable to most of our present youth.

I don't want to believe this argument is rooting on students not to consider any form of skill acquisition at all.
You can choose to acquire a skill to help you with a second income. We all can't be proffessionals.

Nevertheless higher instiutions make Entrepreneurship skills in schools mandatory for students. It shows a level of rethink considering the nation failed system.

You can stick to your choice this is mine
Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by ugohdignity111(m): 8:06pm On Sep 27, 2020
Please oooo

Make una tell me the skill set relevant to a graduate of zoology and environmental biology oooo so that I will know my chances after doing my nysc as I don't want to go back to learning a vocational skill again
Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by samuelpeters(m): 8:36pm On Sep 27, 2020
Ejusni:

Very well. firstly Mechanical engineering is a very broad discipline that encompasses a whole lot. mechanical engineers can work literally anywhere machines or metal based construction is in place, from numerous factories to the oilfields of the Niger Delta to anywhere machines are. Mechanical engineering is part of the future not like petroleum engineering or chemical engineering( partly).

I think it's really absurd that Mechanical engineering which is the mother of all engineering is placed as unemployable in a list( that I question it's integrity) when we have coursed like food technology, plant nutrition, adult education, and many more trademarks anyhow Nigerian courses.
I understand your point now.
I think the reason why he placed it like that was because most people in engineering have this notion that they will surely get a job. After graduation, they find out it's never so.
Plant education etal already know what they are into, so they make hay while the sun shines.
Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by samuelpeters(m): 8:49pm On Sep 27, 2020
ugohdignity111:
Please oooo

Make una tell me the skill set relevant to a graduate of zoology and environmental biology oooo so that I will know my chances after doing my nysc as I don't want to go back to learning a vocational skill again
Is there any skill relevant to ZEB??
I think you should dive into something entirely different.
Digital skills etal.
Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by Nobody: 1:25am On Sep 28, 2020
Muna4real:
There are very few courses in the University that are skills themselves. Eg, electrical engineering, computer engineering, architecture and maybe medicine.
Delete electrical. Electrical engineering in university is quite different. They are supposed to make use of computer aided designs to build electrical machines or correct faults and building of prototypes. Concerning wiring leave it for we the technicians . I know many graduates who can't do surface wiring or repair a simple faulty appliance. I believe engineering scope is quite different from ours

1 Like

Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by Nobody: 1:44am On Sep 28, 2020
samuelpeters:
Just like what most of you have said, if you want to go to the University, make sure you learn all there is to learn about the course(including the skill, even if it means going for IT/internship when on break). Do not limit yourself only to the knowledge acquired in the class room(it is never enough) but we are too lazy.
That is why i Love the way Medicals are structured. From Clinical postings to Internship in teaching hospitals etal. By the time you finish NYSC, you must have been very skillful.

Or

Go straight and Learn a skill immediately after secondary school(which is even better) instead of coming back after graduating from the University(waste of years) there is no time to waste time in Nigeria!. There was one guy in my village, the moment he finished secondary school, he went straight to learn a trade.
While my bro was still trying JAMB which took 3 years.
Right now, the guy is made. While my bro is still trying to get on his feet. God saved my bro he studied medicals.If not na to go learn one skill if for de now.
Don't mention medicals are skillful when they are done again na beg I dey beg you. I get am as bro na but has mastered over the years . Bring them under real life situation ehn you go see flop. Clinicals is different from After school. How many medical graduates can successfully do intubation, use an ophthalmoscope, confidently do a delivery without hitching, draw blood, confidently do a CPR, or fully understand drug reactions before prescribing. How many here in Nigeria can successfully read images of radiographs.
The so called Tropical medicine they claim to know will just flop them when they are faced with community outreach.
Medicine is a thing of practice and not a jump into affair. It takes practice not mouth. Many medical students can make mouth calling all sorts of names to make you look dull like Cephalagia(head ache) , Arthritis(Joint inflammation) , Myalgia(muscle pain) many simple things which can be explained. Mastectomy(breast excision)etc.
Medicine is structured in paper but when reality dawns on you in Nigeria you go know. Ask your bro hw far

1 Like

Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by mrdharkchild(m): 1:47am On Sep 28, 2020
Open your eyes, see into the spirit, then you'd understand. You are blind, he who sees with both physical eyes. Awaken your metaphysical eyes n see. You will first be confused, but you'd understand.
My world is occupied physically, paranormal. There's no void in it. You just can't see it. Vibration is constant, because absolute 0K can never be attained, you have your frequency of vibration, there r other frequencies, the lows, the highs. I didn't make an empty world. Other vibrations are ahead of you technology-wise. If thee can understand how to tune ultra high vibrations, the thee can exist in different dimensions
Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by Nobody: 1:48am On Sep 28, 2020
Ejusni:

Very well. firstly Mechanical engineering is a very broad discipline that encompasses a whole lot. mechanical engineers can work literally anywhere machines or metal based construction is in place, from numerous factories to the oilfields of the Niger Delta to anywhere machines are. Mechanical engineering is part of the future not like petroleum engineering or chemical engineering( partly).

I think it's really absurd that Mechanical engineering which is the mother of all engineering is placed as unemployable in a list( that I question it's integrity) when we have coursed like food technology, plant nutrition, adult education, and many more trademarks anyhow Nigerian courses.
I will place them with even courses like molecular biology, crop science, philosophy and many more. Engineering is over saturated too bad for MECH with lots of first class

1 Like

Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by Uyi168: 3:01am On Sep 28, 2020
ugohdignity111:
Please oooo

None bro.. cry
Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by Thecreatorx: 7:41am On Sep 28, 2020
Ejusni:

I think it's really absurd that Mechanical engineering which is the mother of all engineering
Who dash mechanical "mother" yenyenyen rubbish, all Engineering courses are unique and connected in their on ways, I can only agree mechanical engineering is the mother of F9 and third class!

1 Like

Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by samuelpeters(m): 7:49am On Sep 28, 2020
Chapman801:

Don't mention medicals are skillful when they are done again na beg I dey beg you. I get am as bro na but has mastered over the years . Bring them under real life situation ehn you go see flop. Clinicals is different from After school. How many medical graduates can successfully do intubation, use an ophthalmoscope, confidently do a delivery without hitching, draw blood, confidently do a CPR, or fully understand drug reactions before prescribing. How many here in Nigeria can successfully read images of radiographs.
The so called Tropical medicine they claim to know will just flop them when they are faced with community outreach.
Medicine is a thing of practice and not a jump into affair. It takes practice not mouth. Many medical students can make mouth calling all sorts of names to make you look dull like Cephalagia(head ache) , Arthritis(Joint inflammation) , Myalgia(muscle pain) many simple things which can be explained. Mastectomy(breast excision)etc.
Medicine is structured in paper but when reality dawns on you in Nigeria you go know. Ask your bro hw far
Guy calm down....
Try and understand my point. Maybe because i used after "NYSC they are very skillful" my point is that Post NYSC Medicals are not daft bro. My bro still hold his side as far as basic medicine is concerned. Which is far better than other graduate that knows next to nothing about their course, that is my point.
So most of them do not always consider to go back and learn a skill that is entirely different from what they studied.

You grow in Medicine with experience and specialization.
Re: If "Getting A Skill" Is Your Reason For Attending School, You're Confused! by Saintinoo(m): 9:14am On Sep 28, 2020
KillerBeauty:
I know someone who lives in Germany. He said after secondary school, young people have the option of learning a skill or going to university. If you want to become a doctor, lawyer, teacher, accountant, a civil engineer etc you choose university. But if you prefer plumbing, hair dressing, carpentry, catering, interior design you choose technical school.

They don't do what we do here in Nigeria, that a young person will study computer science in the university, graduate, then go and learn phone and laptops repair.

If you want to be a phone and laptop technician while then would u spend 4 years in the university.
Computer science has nothing to do with Laptop repairs.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

ASUU Vs Gov't Meeting On Monday Nov.,9th / After Twitter Rift With Bezos Over Queen,uju Anya Praises Lesbian Lover(photos) / Unilorin's Screening Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.