Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,635 members, 7,801,834 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano (1685 Views)

Igbos Celebrate New Yam Festival In Ghana (Photos) / Igbo Union In Finland Celebrates New Yam Festival (Photos) / Ooni Ogunwusi Attends Imo Yam Festival (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by ERockson: 3:19pm On Sep 27, 2020
The year 2020 proposed New Yam Festival by Ndigbo living in Kano State has been put on hold as the High Court has issued an ex parte motion, stopping the activities until the hearing of the substantive motion before it.

The High Court presided by Justice Farouk Lawan Adamu, stopped the Ndigbo from performing the New Yam Festival (Iwaji 2020) rituals scheduled to hold on Sunday (tomorrow) in Kano.

The court, in Suit No. K/322/2020, also restrained one Ikechukwu Oliver Akpudo from organising, assembling people and celebrating the Iwaji or any festival that has to do with Ndigbo living in Kano.

Justice Adamu directed the Kano State Commissioner of Police, Habu Sani, to ensure Akpudo, other Igbo natives and the general public comply with the court order.

“Order of interim injunction is hereby retraining the defendant (Akpudo), whether by himself, through any of his agents, servants, successors or privies, from presiding over, supervising, convening, assembling, summoning, celebrating, organising and partaking in a New Yam Festival (Iwaji Festival 2020) scheduled to hold on Sunday, September 27, 2020,” the court said.

The court further stopped Akpudo from carrying out any event or other occasions whatsoever pertaining to Igbos in Kano State, pending hearing and determination of the Motion on Notice filed by Igwe Boniface. The court fixed October 7 for hearing.

Meanwhile, the Igbo traditional ruler in Kano, His Highness Igwe (Dr.) Boniface Ibekwe Ide I, Ezedioranma IV, has hailed the court’s verdict.

Dr. Boniface, who is also the President-General of Igbo Traditional Rulers in the Diaspora, told DAILY POST that the said Akpudo has been parading himself as the Igwe V of the Indigbo in Kano.

NEWS: Man, 72 arrested for reportedly defiling 7-year-old girl in Ogun
It was gathered that Boniface is also recognised by the Abdullahi Ganduje administration as the authentic traditional ruler of the Indigbo in Kano State.

“The court had initially restrained Akpudo and asked him to pay me the sum of N2 million, as damages, for disturbing me on the throne. He has not paid the money, yet, he went ahead to invite people for an Igbo New Yam Festival.

“He also wrote letters to prominent Igbo personalities promising to give them chieftaincy titles during his purported event. So, I and my cabinet members, as law-abiding citizens, had to go to court to stop him.

“How can someone wakes up suddenly and begins to parade himself as my successor when I am still alive, still on the throne and performing my duties diligently as the authentic Eze Indigbo in Kano?,” Dr. Boniface who has been on the throne for 10 years queried.

The Igbo monarch appealed to the Igbos in Kano to be calm, that the New Yam Festival (Iwaji) will be celebrated at an appropriate time in accordance with the Igbo tradition.
https://dailypost.ng/2020/09/26/court-stops-igbos-new-yam-festival-in-kano/
Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Marine54(m): 3:23pm On Sep 27, 2020
Ok
Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Danwakae(m): 3:23pm On Sep 27, 2020
Like seriously.
Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Arrewa: 3:23pm On Sep 27, 2020
Damagana...
Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Arrewa: 3:25pm On Sep 27, 2020
Alright...
Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Taich(m): 3:25pm On Sep 27, 2020
How does this yam festival affect the price of Garri? Ikechukwu and Boniface

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by ibedun: 3:28pm On Sep 27, 2020
My favourite tribe!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Beremx(f): 3:29pm On Sep 27, 2020
The battle for the throne in another man's land is silly and disgraceful.

Imagine a very important event that will promote the igbo ethnic group involving a court case? I have never heard of such before.

Odi egwu!!

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Beremx(f): 3:31pm On Sep 27, 2020
Arrewa:
Damagana...
spill it out!! You have booked two spaces already. grin

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Arrewa: 3:35pm On Sep 27, 2020
Beremx:
spill it out!! You have booked two spaces already. grin
I reserve my comment till we get to FP
Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by DankemzI(m): 3:40pm On Sep 27, 2020
The intolerance in Nigeria is extremely high now, religious, social and cultural intolerance are very rampant these days and I'm forced to ask where is our humanity?
Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Amotolongbo(f): 3:47pm On Sep 27, 2020
DankemzI:
The intolerance in Nigeria is extremely high now, religious, social and cultural intolerance are very rampant these days and I'm forced to ask where is our humanity?
Read before posting any comment

3 Likes

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Yobabad: 3:47pm On Sep 27, 2020
Hold on
Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Lavisha(f): 3:49pm On Sep 27, 2020
Igbos think say Kano na Lagos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by helinues: 3:51pm On Sep 27, 2020
This people wahala na everywhere dey go

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Jostoman: 3:55pm On Sep 27, 2020
Taich:
How does this yam festival affect the price of Garri? Ikechukwu and Boniface
ask them o

2 Likes

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by DankemzI(m): 3:58pm On Sep 27, 2020
Amotolongbo:
Read before posting any comment

What is wrong with my comments

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by TimeManager(m): 4:08pm On Sep 27, 2020
Did you know there was once an Eze ndigbo on Nairaland, as in, dude was actually elected to oversee the affairs of nairaland ndigbo. I think the disagreement on how to share the monies collected rendered his seat vacant, dude has since gone into oblivion. I would like to see them conduct such a clownish election once again.

kiss the truth!

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by midolian(m): 4:23pm On Sep 27, 2020
grin

Even in another man's land, to conduct themselves properly is a big pLobRem.

1 Like

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by omunabo(m): 4:30pm On Sep 27, 2020
if they can have their sallah celebration in Igbo land, I don't see why the Igbos should not celebrate their new yam festival peacefully in any part of the country ......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Asquare84(m): 4:31pm On Sep 27, 2020
Hahaha, look at the people looking for biafra. They can't even organise themselves
Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by Pleasant01: 4:48pm On Sep 27, 2020
omunabo:
if they can have their sallah celebration in Igbo land, I don't see why the Igbos should not celebrate their new yam festival peacefully in any part of the country ......
I can bet with buhari left ball that you didn't read the post undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by kaylardz(m): 4:48pm On Sep 27, 2020
which one is yam festival again in dis 21st century.
Nyanmiri, fetishism and idolatry can never be separated. no wonder their land is cursed with poverty and underdevelopment. mtcheew
Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by tobechi74: 4:51pm On Sep 27, 2020
Two Igbo leaders fighting for power in Kano.
Re: Court Stops Igbo’s New Yam Festival In Kano by ArmedRobber: 4:52pm On Sep 27, 2020
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

"footprint Of God" Found In South Africa / Strange! Festival Celebrated By Digging Up Dead Family Members (graphic Photos) / 7 Things You Find In A Typical Nigerian Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.