Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

Remaking 'the Bodyguard': Who Will Replace Whitney Houston? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Remaking 'the Bodyguard': Who Will Replace Whitney Houston? (1360 Views)

Flavour Looks Like Phyno's Bodyguard In New Photos / Meet Tofunmi Exito, Olamide's Bodyguard / Roy Emmanuel, Wizkid’s Personal Bodyguard (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remaking 'the Bodyguard': Who Will Replace Whitney Houston? by ckz: 11:31am On Mar 02, 2011
A remake of the '90s box office smash is in the works, and the search is on for the right singer-turned-actress to play the lead

The 1992 film The Bodyguard, starring Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston, was a critical failure but a huge box office success, grossing $411 million worldwide. Naturally then, a remake is on the way. In the new version, the bodyguard character will reportedly be an Iraq War veteran rather an ex-Secret Service agent, and internet stalking will be involved. But a central question remains: Is there a diva out there who could possibly fill Whitney Houston's shoes in the lead role? Here are six possibilities:

1. Beyonce
She's "one of the most obvious choices," says Sean O'Neal at The Onion's AV Club. But don't count on it, since she's already slated to star in another musical remake, Clint Eastwood's A Star Is Born.

2. Rihanna
The statuesque Barbados beauty has long been interested in crossing over ino the movie biz — and this "could be just the push she needs to get people thinking of her as a serious actress, and not just a dulcet-voiced video vixen," says Kat Rosenfield at MTV.

3. Jennifer Hudson
She's one of my top picks, says Rosenfield. "She'd bring the darn house down in this role," and "it's been way too long since the glorious belt-fest that was Dreamgirls."

4. Lady Gaga
Would the eccentric icon be "too weird?" asks Stuart Heritage in The Guardian. Nah, I can imagine a version with her and Idris Elba ("The Office," "The Wire"wink and I "like it," says Kyle Buchanan in New York. "If Warners has the chutzpah to cast Lady Gaga," says Jordan DeSaulnier at I Am Rogue, "this remake would suddenly justify itself through sheer , craziness."

5. Lea Michele
The "Glee" star has already proven that she's a "great small-screen diva" and "she's got the vocal chops," says Rosenfield. True, but I'm not sure she has the right look, says Katie Hasty at HitFix. "She's more a Disney character than a glamorous global superforce."

6. Taylor Swift
The country-pop princess may be eager to do more acting — she appeared in the movie Valentine's Day and on an episode of "CSI" — but she's not right for the part, says Hasty. "Her utter likeability and girl-next-door image may not lend easily to the 'fearless' complexity and dimension of the larger-than-life role."

I personally feel that this movie is going to be a huge flop but you never know

Re: Remaking 'the Bodyguard': Who Will Replace Whitney Houston? by ckz: 2:58pm On Mar 15, 2011
Re: Remaking 'the Bodyguard': Who Will Replace Whitney Houston? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 15, 2011
Jenny Hudson would be perfect for that role; no one else even comes close. (Although I have not forgiven her for losing all that juicy lady-weight!).
Re: Remaking 'the Bodyguard': Who Will Replace Whitney Houston? by chic2pimp(m): 8:34pm On Mar 15, 2011
The only good thing about the original was the Theme song. The film on it's own was snoozefest. So why bother?. . . . . . . .
Re: Remaking 'the Bodyguard': Who Will Replace Whitney Houston? by mamagee3(f): 1:30am On Mar 16, 2011
I prefer Jennifer Hudson, she has an angelic voice. . .

Not sure about rihanna and Beyonce. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Remaking 'the Bodyguard': Who Will Replace Whitney Houston? by ckz: 10:43am On Mar 24, 2011
@ chic2pimp because the movie grossed and $410.9 million worldwide and it had the best selling soundtrack of all time.

I personally think that Jenifer hudson could do a great job but no one could do it better than Whitney houston sorry.

(1) (Reply)

Rmd To Celebrate 50th Birthday In Church On July 31st / Mr Ibu And Wife Stella Welcomes New Baby / Suge Knight Believes Tupac Is Still Alive: "Nobody Seen Tupac Dead"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.