Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,906 members, 7,806,642 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor (43879 Views)

Demolition Threat: Tinubu May Sacrifice You – Daniel Bwala Warns Wike / Ministerial Slots: The Battle Of Godfathers, Godsons (list) / 2019: Meet The New Powerful ‘godfathers’ Who May Shape Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by dre11(m): 5:11am On Sep 30, 2020
Benin monarch, Omo N’Oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Square II, has called on the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, not to turn itself to another godfather to the reelected governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki.

The Omo N’Oba who gave the counsel Tuesday evening when the Rivers State governor, Nyelsom Wike, led three other PDP governors on a thank-you visit to the Oba for his efforts at ensuring a peaceful election in Edo State on September 19, reiterated his disdain for the concept of godfatherism.

“I want to on this occasion plead with the PDP that you also as you have always been talking about the concept of godfatherism, you will uphold it and don’t let unscrupulous members of your party try to now come out and start to use your party by proxy or remote control to control our governor and end up being the hidden godfathers, we don’t want hidden godfathers”, the monarch counselled.

The Oba of Benin expressed gratitude to the God and the ancestors for hearing the prayers for a peace election.

“If you will recall when I invited the distinguished political actors of all the political parties particularly the two most active political actors, I also said why were they being called gladiators as if they were in the coliseum in Rome. I asked if they had been to the coliseum where they kill themselves at all cost, where the winner is the only one that is alive to claim victory and all the others dead. I said this is not the coliseum, this is not winner takes all or do or die affair and I did say that at the end of the day, it should be no vanquished, no victor and that both sides should consider it a win-win for everybody. I pleaded that the winner must accommodate the other persons”, the Omo N’Oba noted.

Oba Square II appealed to the governor to let bygone be bygone, and to “stretch out the olive branch for all sides to work with him. All hands should be on deck to work for Edo state and Edo people everywhere they may be proud to be”.

Wike, who was the Chairman of the PDP Campaign Council for the Edo governorship election was joined on the visit by of Governors Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto, Seyi Makinde, Oyo State, Ahamdu Fintiri, Adamawa State, the host governor, Godwin Obaseki of Edo state and PDP South-South Vice Chairman, Chief Dan Orbih.

Speaking during the visit, the Rivers State governor said that the visit was a fulfilment of the promised they made when they paid the Oba a visit, the day the party flagged off its campaign in the state.

“Your Royal Majesty just like the governor of Sokoto state said when we came here to flag off the campaign of our brother Godwin Obaseki, we made a promise to you and the palace that by the special grace of God if Godwin Obaseki emerges as the winner, we will come back here and thank the Oba and the palace chiefs on the 19th of September, election was held and then on the 20th of September, Godwin Obaseki was declared as the winner of that election”, Wike explained.

The Rivers State governor added that PDP places much premium on the respect for the traditional institution, hence the party had come to ” thank the monarch and the palace leaders.

“You made a promise to us that as a traditional ruler, and as far as everybody is concerned you are apolitical and so that you will not canvass for votes for anybody but what you preach is that there should be peace, there should be free and fair election Your Royal Majesty, we have seen with our eyes indeed there was a free and fair election, indeed the election was peaceful you said you will pray to our ancestors that in Edo, there shouldn’t be bloodshed and that is why the election was very free, was not violent and a leader has emerged we felt it will be very bad on our part if we have made that commitment before and you have also made commitment that you will pray that there will be peace and that you will pray that there will be free and fair election and there was free and fair election, and there was peace then we have no duty other than to come and also play our role to say thank you for gathering the entire people of Edo state to make sure that Edo State was peaceful and the election was free and fair and that is what we have come here to do today. We are not a party that will promise and fail, when we promise, we will deliver and to take your son now that he is back for everybody to unite together for the development of Edo State”, he added.

In his remarks, the host governor, Obaseki, said that the PDP owed it a duty to preserve the traditional institution.

“You have kindly received us today, I want to assure you that as the governor of Edo state I have heard your admonitions. I want to promise that I will rededicate myself in my next tenure to the full service of Edo state and the people of Edo state. We will always rely on your wise counsel, we will always rely n you to pray for us and ensure that we the required peace so that we can do all the good things that God desires of us to do for our people”, Obaseki reaffirmed.

TRIBUNE

25 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by allthingsgood: 5:16am On Sep 30, 2020
Politics without godfather is impossible. Let's be honest. Obaseki just used people to win election then dump then after. Pdp go chop their own cane too grin

120 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by ZKOSOSO(m): 5:18am On Sep 30, 2020
Ok ....!
Godfatherism is running out of fashion worldwide...!

Edo no be Lagos....!! No Druglord can sniff the coffers again

166 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Etrusen(m): 5:24am On Sep 30, 2020
nice one but please correct the name of the Oba it is Oba Ewuare 11 not square please

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Temitopemo6e6(m): 5:24am On Sep 30, 2020
The bullion van criminal has spoken the words of foolishness !!! This Devil will be brought to book soon. He has his eyes everywhere but nowhere. He’s a dead man walking.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Redhot111(m): 5:31am On Sep 30, 2020
allthingsgood:
Politics without godfather is impossible. Let's be honest. Obaseki just used people to win election then dump then after. Pdp go chop their own cane too grin

Receive sense and brain in jesus' name

122 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by capatainrambo: 5:32am On Sep 30, 2020
Oba bha tor !!!

But clearly your majesty we all knew you wer very much pro apc in the last election, baring your voice so early may be seen as an affront by obaseki. Pls your majesty leave pdp and politics for now.

Long May you reign your majesty.

36 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Nobody: 5:36am On Sep 30, 2020
Never for once have I doubted the royal bromance between Oba Ewuare and the APC... Dude is always love-struck like a teenager anytime he sees the broom waving...

Unlike his father, (Omo N' Oba N' Edo, Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Erediauwa) Ewuare has over time prove to be more partisan than some Politicians.

God bless the Victorious PDP
God bless Delta State.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Nobody: 5:38am On Sep 30, 2020
Gbadungbadun99x:
This is the type of traditional ruler everyone should look up to. He is no doubt a father

I laff, Ọba wey em body dey APC

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Nobody: 5:40am On Sep 30, 2020
A Governor cannot be a Godfather to another Governor...

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by OfoIgbo: 5:40am On Sep 30, 2020
Meanwhile the Oba is angling to be the godfather of the Ikwerre people.

These people and hypocrisy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by daddytime(m): 5:44am On Sep 30, 2020
If you and your benefactor/friend's preferred candidate had won you wouldn't be saying this.

Partisan and partial Oba.

I lost respect for you when you decided to support evil and oppression by taking sides with that useless Captain and Oshiomole.

You were berating a sitting governor and his deputy at a so-called peace parley while refusing to call out Captain and Oshiomole who was ready to bankroll carnage if not that they met their match in the governor and his deputy and the wokeness of the citizens of Edo.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Etrusen(m): 5:49am On Sep 30, 2020
OfoIgbo:
Meanwhile the Oba is angling to be the godfather of the Ikwerre people.

These people and hypocrisy

the Oba of Benin have never put himself in the form of godfather to any king and he doesn't need to do that because the said king will definitely pay respect to his root that is what the Ikwerre people are doing to the Oba of Benin

so your argument is baseless

the Ikwerre people see Benin as their root I don't why that gives headache.

22 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by dollytino4real(f): 5:50am On Sep 30, 2020
his media aides dem no try 4 this write up! Wike has he finished his own state work b4? what is in Edo state self? wike just want oshopikin n tinubu to lose the election finish! he did not want anything from ur state

27 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by OfoIgbo: 5:53am On Sep 30, 2020
Etrusen:

the Oba of Benin have never put himself in the form of godfather to any king and he doesn't need to do that because the said king will definitely pay respect to his root that is what the Ikwerre people are doing to the Oba of Benin

so your argument is baseless

the Ikwerre people see Benin as their root I don't why that gives headache.

If the Oba of Benin doesn't want to pay homage to the Eze NRI, his taproot, then the Oba has no business travelling to Rivers state, seeking homage from some Rivers state people.

Don't think I am the sort of person you can fool with cheap psychological gimmicks

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by potent5(m): 6:12am On Sep 30, 2020
Nonsense talk. Why didn't he warn that internally displaced politician when Obaseki was in APC.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by potent5(m): 6:16am On Sep 30, 2020
Gbadungbadun99x:
This is the type of traditional ruler everyone should look up to. He is no doubt a father
Pretending father.

10 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Etrusen(m): 6:17am On Sep 30, 2020
OfoIgbo:

If the Oba of Benin doesn't want to pay homage to the Eze NRI, his taproot, then the Oba has no business travelling to Rivers state, seeking homage from some Rivers state people.

Don't think I am the sort of person you can fool with cheap psychological gimmicks

please what connection do you know that link Benin to your so called Nri please prove.

the Oba of Benin did not force ikwerre people to respect him but the people with knowledge decided for themselves I don't really know why that pains you so much to your marrow

19 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by WonderManly(m): 6:22am On Sep 30, 2020
Edo No Be Lagos!

10 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by doggedfighter(f): 6:24am On Sep 30, 2020
Hypocrisy

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by garfield1: 6:24am On Sep 30, 2020
obami007:
Lolz

PDP governors don’t have godfathers

They are all very independent

Like ikpeazu,okowa,isiyaku? Would wike have been governor without the odilis and pej help?

8 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by garfield1: 6:25am On Sep 30, 2020
potent5:

Pretending father.

You sound pained

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by LUGBE: 6:26am On Sep 30, 2020
I don't usually do this but it was so obvious he took side with the APC but unfortunately they lost.

This his advice would have come before election if he meant well for his people.

20 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Nobody: 6:30am On Sep 30, 2020
OfoIgbo:

Check your age and move on to better issues that matters your time.

You are not from Ikwerre but day and night you are fighting battle wey no body send.

gbala gbala fere oke owuru ara...

You sounding stale day by day. All the community clashes in your very state, you have not even moved to douse any but here your see always fighting what nonsense person no sabi.

Well I am not suprised, it is only a mad man that his house will be on fire while he is busy looking for another house on fire to quench it

13 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Nobody: 6:32am On Sep 30, 2020
JidennaJason:
Never for once have I doubted the royal bromance between Oba Ewuare and the APC... Dude is always love-struck like a teenager anytime he sees the broom waving...

Unlike his father, (Omo N' Oba N' Edo, Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Erediauwa) Ewuare has over time prove to be more partisan than some Politicians.

God bless the Victorious PDP
God bless Delta State.

God bless Edo not Delta.

8 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Daum: 6:35am On Sep 30, 2020
capatainrambo:
Oba bha tor !!!

But clearly your majesty we all knew you wer very much pro apc in the last election, baring your voice so early may be seen as an affront by obaseki. Pls your majesty leave pdp and politics for now.

Long May you reign your majesty.

No he wasn't. You guys always say that.
The King kicked against godfatherism even from the primaries in APC and he made a statement when Obaseki was kicked out saying everyone should be given equal opportunity and no body should lord over another in the political process. He actually talked against consensus candidates.
I am a PDP and Pro Obaseki fan.
So the meeting at his palace was mainly because the violence was getting heated. If you noticed, the reason why he was hard on Shuaibu was because the deputy governor boys were responsible for the shooting outside the palace. That's where you people get it wrong by saying he was pro APC. He was only warning against violence.

Watch that clip which is about 2 hours not what channels uploaded.

13 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Daum: 6:38am On Sep 30, 2020
daddytime:
If you and your benefactor/friend's preferred candidate had won you wouldn't be saying this.

Partisan and partial Oba.

I lost respect for you when you decided to support evil and oppression by taking sides with that useless Captain and Oshiomole.

You were berating a sitting governor and his deputy at a so-called peace Harley while refusing to call out Captain and Oshiomole who was ready to bankroll carnage if not that they met their match in the governor and his deputy and the wokeness of the citizens of Edo.

Was it not Shuaibu's boys who shot guns outside his palace on the day PDP flagged their campaign. I was near the palace that day. I am Obaseki supporter and PDP. Did you not see the deputy governor kneeling down. He didn't just want to say it in public.

But that was taken too far
How can you shoot guns outside the palace of the Benin monarch. That was what he was castigating Shuaibu for.

17 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Born2Breed(f): 6:39am On Sep 30, 2020
Emini mini mini

Ughator ovbié Ẹkpenẹdẹ, ovbié Umogun nọkhua!!!

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Nobody: 6:43am On Sep 30, 2020
Daum:

Was it not Shuaibu's boys who shot guns outside his palace on the day PDP flagged their campaign. I was near the palace that day. I am Obaseki supporter and PDP. Did you not see the deputy governor kneeling down. He didn't just want to say it in public.

But that was taken too far
How can you shoot guns outside the palace of the Benin monarch. That was what he was castigating Shuaibu for.

And if person shoot gun outside the palace, is it a crime.

Mtcheeeeeew

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Warns Wike, Others: We Don’t Want Godfathers For Our Governor by Daum: 6:46am On Sep 30, 2020
LUGBE:
I don't usually do this but it was so obvious he took side with the APC but unfortunately they lost.

This his advice would have come before election if he meant well for his people.

Where were you guys when he condemned the way Obaseki was kicked out of the APC. You guys are quick to forget that this same King supported obaseki movement to PDP and frowned at the way APC kicked him out. It is here on Nairaland go and look for it.

Real PDP people in Edo state will tell you that, that meeting in the palace played a great role. Do you think Visa ban would have stopped Kabaka or Muntari.

Let's call a spade a spade
Shuaibu boys should not have shot guns outside his palace. That's the height. I am first an Edo man before I support the PDP and you should not do it. I won't be happy if foreigners were shooting outside the kings palace walls. That's disrespectful. What are we telling outsiders

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Explosion Rocks Port Harcourt APC Rally, Three Injured (Photos) / Rochas Okorocha Sustains Head Injury In Road Accident / Ben Obi's Outfit To Nigeria & Argentina Match In Russia. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.