Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:49 PM

Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed (3597 Views)

On Schooling And Working In America / Romantic Relationship In Between Schooling And One’s Occupation / "Schooling In The UK Made Me Realise How Different Nigerian Lecturers Are" - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 4:22pm On Sep 30, 2020
For a friend

Hello nairalanders
I need freethinkers on this forum to help make the best decision on what do do and the right steps to take, by reading in-between lines of my few points below.

Am a student of AE-Funai, and 21 years of age (I think this introduction is enough)
Here comes the points
Around January 2018, during one of my ENT 301(entrepreneurship) classes,I was able to pick a vital point, when the lecturer way pointing out the importance of Agriculture and the told us how he normally grow cucumber & watermelon, and he made alot of money from it.
I was motivated and that same day, I met him and requested for for information on the crops, which he gave me and asked me to visit a company by name Thai Agro based in Imo state.
I did some Google search on cucumber farming, quora actually taught me things, but it wasn't enough.
During this covid-19 pandemic break before the interstate lockdown Thai Agro organized a free tutorial program for young farmers called KUCH-99, which I attended and I was well trained and tutored on cucumber & watermelon farming
Now here is the problem to solve, which is truncating my studies and focusing on Agriculture.

I recently practiced cucumber farming three months ago ( June) ,I made around 25-30k (a small farm),
Am in 500l mechatronics engineering, still one more year to go and additional one year NYSC( altogether 2 yrs)
I lost my dad in 2015, since then school has been difficult, mom is a teacher in private school and her pay is less than 15k per month.
And am planning on taking this farming steps, because of the following reasons
1).. Am seeing it as a recreative business
2) I thought of farming and schooling at the same time, but the distance is too far, traveling from Alike Ikwo in ebonyi state (my school) to Ejule in kogi state my hometown (and where am planning to expand the farm) every weekend

3) cucumber is a perishable goods needed to be harvested every four to five days or else it rippens and also requires daily monitoring and direction of stem after staking , meaning I must be around.

4) I had thoughts of hiring land near the school, where I can grow the crops, haven't seen any. Also planned on begging the VC for few Hector's of land inside school since he is from faculty of Agriculture (but I don't see that being possible anyway)

5) paying school fees has been difficult for my mom, in-fact some of my 300l academic session fee's are still outstanding (not talking of engineering parents Levi)
With those few points I believe it's better for me to drop-off ,at least I have been to university and can write and speak fluently.
As to reducing the burden on my mom's shoulder, so she can focus on my other siblings, as for now this pandemic has been hell for us, because the proprietor of her haven't paid them for (march to July) salary because student's are not in school and situation might get worse when federal tertiary institutions resume and we start demanding for outstanding fees, not just now what of clearance?
Help me think about this and drop your suggestions on the comment box, but for me I think the odd for for me truncating my schooling is 70% , should have started preparing for it but I recently came across a post by Richdad50 that says "Life is the consequence of a series of choices you make. If you make good choices, you wont have a bad life. If you make bad choices, you cant have a good life. Take as long as you need to make your decisions. Dont be rushed, because you’ll live with the consequence"
So I needed for minds in other not to live with regret.

This is my life story,so don't comment rubbish
Mature minds please
@Richiez help get this to front page I beg.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by delinous: 4:29pm On Sep 30, 2020
Olusegun345:
Hello nairalanders
I need freethinkers on this forum to help make the best decision on what do do and the right steps to take, by reading in-between lines of my few points below.

Am a student of AE-Funai, and 21 years of age (I think this introduction is enough)
Here comes the points
Around January this year 2020, during one of my ENT 301(entrepreneurship) classes,I was able to pick a vital point, when the lecturer way pointing out the importance of Agriculture and the told us how he normally grow cucumber & watermelon, and he made alot of money from it.
I was motivated and that same day, I met him and requested for for information on the crops, which he gave me and asked me to visit a company by name Thai Agro based in Imo state.
I did some Google search on cucumber farming, quora actually taught me things, but it wasn't enough.
During this covid-19 pandemic break before the interstate lockdown Thai Agro organized a free tutorial program for young farmers called KUCH-99, which I attended and I was well trained and tutored on cucumber & watermelon farming
Now here is the problem to solve, which is truncating my studies and focusing on Agriculture.

I recently practiced cucumber farming three months ago ( June) ,I made around 25-30k (a small farm),
Am in 300l mechatronics engineering, still two more years to go and additional one year NYSC( altogether 3 yrs)
I lost my dad in 2015, since then school has been difficult, mom is a teacher in private school and her pay is less than 15k per month.
2) I thought of farming and schooling at the same time, but the distance is too far, traveling from Alike Ikwo in ebonyi state (my school) to Ejule in kogi state my hometown (and where am planning to expand the farm) every weekend

3) cucumber is a perishable goods needed to be harvested every four to five days or else it rippens and also requires daily monitoring and direction of stem after staking , meaning I must be around.

4) I had thoughts of hiring land near the school, where I can grow the crops, haven't seen any. Also planned on begging the VC for few Hector's of land inside school since he is from faculty of Agriculture (but I don't see that being possible anyway)

5) paying school fees has been difficult for my mom, in-fact some of my 300l academic session fee's are still outstanding (not talking of engineering parents Levi)
With those few points I believe it's better for me to drop-off ,at least I have been to university and can write and speak fluently.
As to reducing the burden on my mom's shoulder, so she can focus on my other siblings, as for now this pandemic has been hell for us, because the proprietor of her haven't paid them for (march to July) salary because student's are not in school and situation might get worse when federal tertiary institutions resume and we start demanding for outstanding fees, not just now what of 400l and 500l?
Help me think about this and drop your suggestions on the comment box, but for me I think the odd for for me truncating my schooling is 70% , should have started preparing for it but I recently came across a post by Richdad50 that says "Life is the consequence of a series of choices you make. If you make good choices, you wont have a bad life. If you make bad choices, you cant have a good life. Take as long as you need to make your decisions. Dont be rushed, because you’ll live with the consequence"

Mature minds please
Lalasticlala help get this to front page I beg.
I see u coming out successful from this farming if u truly put your whole heart and mind to it. By the time your mates are graduating and are done with NYSC, you should be making millions of naira if u work hard farming and saving. Think hard about it cos i won't give u a final verdict. But I l will tell you that the farming option will lessen the burden for both u and your Mom.
Wish u success in whatever future decision u make.

9 Likes

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Saig: 4:30pm On Sep 30, 2020
You are already far in your academics. What I can tell you is go on with your academics and still take that farming as side hustle which can even help you in school. I know of some people that were doing bricklaying work while schooling and today they are still better in for it. That won't stop you from schooling. Remember even your lecturer has not quitted his job for farming , he is doing it together. so why quit yours?

35 Likes

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 4:33pm On Sep 30, 2020
delinous:

I see u coming out successful from this farming if u truly put your whole heart and mind to it. By the time your mates are graduating and are done with NYSC, you should be making millions of naira if u work hard farming and saving. Think hard about it cos i won't give u a final verdict. But I l will tell you that the farming option will lessen the burden for both u and your Mom.

Thanks dear,
I appreciate
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 4:37pm On Sep 30, 2020
Saig:
You are already far in your academics. What I can tell you is go on with your academics and still take that farming as side hustle which can even help you in school. I know of some people that were doing bricklaying work while schooling and today they are still better in for it. That won't stop you from schooling. Remember even your lecturer has not quitted his job for farming , he is doing it together. so why quit yours?
Thanks, I also think that same direction, but the problem is land availablity in Ikwo funai
The lecturer is living in abakaliliki and can access the school & farm so fast because he got a car
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Saig: 4:42pm On Sep 30, 2020
Olusegun345:

Thanks, I also think that same direction, but the problem is land availablity in Ikwo funai
The lecturer is living in abakaliliki and can access the school & farm so fast because he got a car
Think about working during the holidays and possibly employing someone to do some for you while you are in school. you have limited time left in school. Manage like that for now. once you're done with school you can go fully into it if you like. You will still stand a better chance if anything that warrants the use of your certificate arrives

7 Likes

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by delinous: 4:47pm On Sep 30, 2020
Olusegun345:

Thanks dear,
I appreciate
You are welcome
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 4:48pm On Sep 30, 2020
Saig:
Think about working during the holidays and possibly employing someone to do some for you while you are in school. you have limited time left in school. Manage like that for now. once you're done with school you can go fully into it if you like. You will still stand a better chance if anything that warrants the use of your certificate arrives
Thanks dear

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by moveon1: 4:55pm On Sep 30, 2020
You could pick a deferment form and defer your admission for one year to run the business. If all goes well you should have generated enough money to employ workers which will now enabled you to run it alongside your schooling the next year

26 Likes

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Abcruz(m): 5:35pm On Sep 30, 2020
I suggest you shouldn't quit school. Find a way to run the farm to support your schooling, by partnering with someone who will help in overseeing the affairs of the farm while you're away.

Forget what they say about school being scam you will need that certificate some day when the opportunity arises.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Tribers: 6:04pm On Sep 30, 2020
I won't advice you to quit school but let's be sincere good mindset and focus also boost business if you are committed with your farming school doesn't cut it , you can make the money and go back to school , me for example I make up to 60k - 80k plus monthly I don't sleep at night and it's affect my reading but I don't have choice been sincere with you because if i don't work I won't pay for my school and my grades are dropping but I rather focus on my online business than quitting it for education in this country (so think and pray and let's your free mind guide you) you know the answer to your question you don't need advice you need to trust your gut and challenge your self if you are going to be a farmer set a target I want to make 100k in the next 2 month and make sure you achieve something close or higher and if you want to continue your school make it count also

3 Likes

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by sinkhole: 6:11pm On Sep 30, 2020
moveon1:
You could pick a deferment form and defer your admission for one year to run the business. If all goes well you should have generated enough money to employ workers which will now enabled you to run it alongside your schooling the next year
Please OP, consider this advice.
I have actually been thinking so hard but it was just so difficult until I read the quoted advice.
Others did advice well, so far, but I think this is the best advice I could agree with.

Best of Luck

7 Likes

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 6:35pm On Sep 30, 2020
sinkhole:
Please OP, consider this advice.
I have actually been thinking so hard but it was just so difficult until I read the quoted advice.
Others did advice well, so far, but I think this is the best advice I could agree with.

Best of Luck
Nice advice there, thanks

1 Like

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 6:36pm On Sep 30, 2020
Tribers:
I won't advice you to quit school but let's be sincere good mindset and focus also boost business if you are committed with your farming school doesn't cut it , you can make the money and go back to school , me for example I make up to 60k - 80k plus monthly I don't sleep at night and it's affect my reading but I don't have choice been sincere with you because if i don't work I won't pay for my school and my grades are dropping but I rather focus on my online business than quitting it for education in this country (so think and pray and let's your free mind guide you) you know the answer to your question you don't need advice you need to trust your gut and challenge your self if you are going to be a farmer set a target I want to make 100k in the next 2 month and make sure you achieve something close or higher and if you want to continue your school make it count also
Thanks dude
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 6:37pm On Sep 30, 2020
Abcruz:
I suggest you shouldn't quit school. Find a way to run the farm to support your schooling, by partnering with someone who will help in overseeing the affairs of the farm while you're away.

Forget what they say about school being scam you will need that certificate some day when the opportunity arises.
Thanks,. Nice one

1 Like

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by aminusodiq(m): 7:01pm On Sep 30, 2020
Olusegun345:
Hello nairalanders

Here comes the points
Around January this year 2020, during one of my ENT 301(entrepreneurship) classes,I was able to pick a vital point, when the lecturer way pointing out the importance of Agriculture and the told us how he normally grow cucumber & watermelon, and he made alot of money from it.

Am in 300l mechatronics engineering, still two more years to go and additional one year NYSC( altogether 3 yrs)

As to reducing the burden on my mom's shoulder, so she can focus on my other siblings, as for now this pandemic has been hell for us, because the proprietor of her haven't paid them for (march to July) salary because student's are not in school and situation might get worse when federal tertiary institutions resume and we start demanding for outstanding fees, not just now what of 400l and 500l?

Mature minds please
try the number 4 option!!!

While I was in the university, we were being implored to come takeup lands for agriculture...(which most of us ignored even as agric students).. Go to the faculty and make enquiry, u might be lucky!

PS -I schooled in the southwest

2 Likes

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by sreamsense: 7:21pm On Sep 30, 2020
Is better for you to focus your attention on your education first at the moment. Is good as you discovered planB that can fetch you money, after your education, you can focus on it or during your holidays when you travel home. Try to document everything you know so far in text, images and video so you will not forget when you come back to it. You will have enough time to practice your farming after your graduation, but opportunity may never come your way again to get admission or academic certificates you have long suffered for .

Take your mind off from that farming for now or till school holidays if you don't want to be affected academically. Engineering needs full concentration to obtain good GP, it is a deceit of the mind for you to drop your education near end to farming planB. What of if other challenges come up in farming and therefore unable to achieve your target goals, then, regret and depression will come in. You can look into other areas that are combinable with academic to make extra income for you education.

You can go into tutorial by teaching younger classes to raise money, look for buying and selling things for your classmates and other schools, technical writing/project or source for expert at commission. And if your mother or someone you trust can help you manage the farm better, you can keep giving them instruction from school by sending video/images of farm activities, but never allow it to get into your head to avoid graduating with poor grades.

Dropping out of school for now is never a solution, endure till the end with good grade before going back to your planB

1 Like

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by CHRISTIANJEEH: 7:27pm On Sep 30, 2020
my fellow soaring eagle, I will advice you to know that it's very possible for you to have both goals achieved simultaneously. all of us knows that farming pays these days but you have really gone too far to quit.
everything in this life is possible if you carefully plan them. I know that schooling without much support especially in FUNAI is not funny but I will advice you to make arrangements on how to do the business in partnership with others even if you you get little return at the end of each harvest
I will even like to see you when we resume ,we can search for land nearby and reach some agreements ,you can pay after farming (with God it is possible)
but I will advice you to meet your relatives and your mum to be doing the business, maybe you will be visiting monthly,you just need to teach them everything they need to know about the business. after all life is all about sacrifice, that certificate might fetch you a job tomorrow that will buy a million hectares of land tomorrow . God bless you @your fellow "soaring eagle"

3 Likes

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Raylight2(m): 7:36pm On Sep 30, 2020
you really can't tell what opportunity your education would give you. business is good too. I pray God help you decide.
I can only say that when I consider someone who suspended paints manufacturing business for a masters degree and during the programme got a scholarship abroad with a pay close to 2M at the end of 6months.

you really can't tell what awaits you
just allow God to guide you

4 Likes

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Tony142: 7:52pm On Sep 30, 2020
Olusegun345:
Hello nairalanders

Here comes the points

Mature minds please

People go to school in order to make money when dey graduate, so while not just focus on the farm and start making the money earlier so that b4 those other idiots will graduate u are already a millionaire? forget school, make money, save it and invest It in other business to make more Money

Go and read that book, rich dad poor dad By Robert kiyosaki

1 Like

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by poiunt: 8:09pm On Sep 30, 2020
No work and study in Nigeria
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by durasome(m): 8:12pm On Sep 30, 2020
delinous:

.you don go far na why wanting to quite now ,thank about what that degree can be to you in future even if you would later want to dive into agriculture,with that degree you can go more further than without it ,think well oo do even know that people without certificate are called condemn beings in some section of the community, the government has no program for people without certificate just thought you should know. so think very well oo
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Meloteskem(m): 8:36pm On Sep 30, 2020
Tribers:
Hey bro,can I have your WhatsApp number? Wanna chat with you about something.Thanks in anticipation
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Hambivert: 8:52pm On Sep 30, 2020
It seems you have sparogatively made up your mind on what you want already.

Anyway, if you do consider school as something tangible, defer your admission and come back for completion when you've gained your ground in the business
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Nickshrapnel: 8:52pm On Sep 30, 2020
Go to the school admission office and tell them you want to take a break from your studies because of unavailability of funds. Focus on your project for that year, if it yields bountiful results, ask for more time from your school or relocate your farm to an area closer to school, if it does not, go back to school
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 9:08pm On Sep 30, 2020
Hambivert:
It seems you have sparogatively made up your mind on what you want already.

Anyway, if you do consider school as something tangible, defer your admission and come back for completion when you've gained your ground in the business
Thanks dear
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Olusegun345: 9:08pm On Sep 30, 2020
Nickshrapnel:
Go to the school admission office and tell them you want to take a break from your studies because of unavailability of funds. Focus on your project for that year, if it yields bountiful results, ask for more time from your school or relocate your farm to an area closer to school, if it does not, go back to school
Thank you so much for this advice, I sincerely appreciate
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by OGWILLS123: 9:47pm On Sep 30, 2020
sreamsense:
Is better for you to focus your attention on your education first at the moment. Is good as you discovered planB that can fetch you money, after your education, you can focus on it or during your holidays when you travel home. Try to document everything you know so far in text, images and video so you will not forget when you come back to it. You will have enough time to practice your farming after your graduation, but opportunity may never come your way again to get admission or academic certificates you have long suffered for .

Take your mind off from that farming for now or till school holidays if you don't want to be affected academically. Engineering needs full concentration to obtain good GP, it is a deceit of the mind for you to drop your education near end to farming planB. What of if other challenges come up in farming and therefore unable to achieve your target goals, then, regret and depression will come in. You can look into other areas that are combinable with academic to make extra income for you education.

You can go into tutorial by teaching younger classes to raise money, look for buying and selling things for your classmates and other schools, technical writing/project or source for expert at commission. And if your mother or someone you trust can help you manage the farm better, you can keep giving them instruction from school by sending video/images of farm activities, but never allow it to get into your head to avoid graduating with poor grades.

Dropping out of school for now is never a solution, endure till the end with good grade before going back to your planB
And where will he work after graduating with that type of course OP is studying undecided
What will the OP do with is certification after graduating undecided

Modified : I will quit school even in my dream as soon as I see a sure booming part angry
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by OGWILLS123: 9:55pm On Sep 30, 2020
durasome:
.you don go far na why wanting to quite now ,thank about what that degree can be to you in future even if you would later want to dive into agriculture,with that degree you can go more further than without it ,think well oo do even know that people without certificate are called condemn beings in some section of the community, the government has no program for people without certificate just thought you should know. so think very well oo
Who the he'll is this education brain wash being
people without certification are condemned being angry

Damm !! Nigar !! do you even understand English undecided

Modified: Then you must also be a condemned Bastard for using products produce
by noon certify people angry
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by OGWILLS123: 9:59pm On Sep 30, 2020
Olusegun345:
Hello nairalanders

Here comes the points

Mature minds please
I don't know how
but I see this dude swimming in money tongue
write down this word if you go into agriculture cool
Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by muller101(m): 10:02pm On Sep 30, 2020
Keep on farming on a small scale. when you are through in school you can go into farming big time.

1 Like

Re: Should I Truncate My Schooling And Focus On Agriculture? Opinion Needed by Emarvel(m): 10:02pm On Sep 30, 2020
Olusegun345:
Hello nairalanders

Have you forgotten so soon that you got the same information through school?
Imagine if you weren't in class that day, will you be thinking of that aspect of farming?
If schooling wasn't important, then our politicians and big biz men around, would have asked their children not never to enter any institution.
School gives you an edge above your peers.
What an illiterate can do, when a literate do it, he does it BETTER

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

KWASU 2013/2014 Hamarttan Semester Result Is Out! / Federal Polytechnic Offa , Kwara State / Engage On Camp Committees Activities, NYSC Charges Prospective Corps Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.