Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,772 members, 7,802,368 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine (4636 Views)

Are Gear Problems Not Fixable In Nigeria? / Help!!! Can I Replace My Camry Big Daddy V6 Engine With 4 Plug Engine? / 2010 Corolla Gear Problems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 8:57am On Oct 02, 2020
Please fellow nairalanders and car experts my Toyota Camry 2005/6 (Big Daddy) model with no prior signs developed Gear Selection issue, after I had travelled for over two hours yesterday. Although I managed to arrive at my destination after a mechanic who assisted me advised that I changed the oil, only after I allow the engine rest for the night. So I checked the factory engine prescription and bought Type IV tramission fluid against the advise of the mechanic who wanted to get a cheaper oil.

The mechanic came back this morning to change the oil. Initially the car moved freely. But immediately I entered a major road the gear selection problem started again,
now. It wuld enter gear, but once d ride push forward for about 15 secs it wuld fail again. I would av to wait for it to rest again, den it picks when I start, again and again. Right now its like I have wait longer. The mechanic said I shouldn't bother to try to repair the gear I should just get a new one.

Although I've called another mechanic to check it. Na the matter I dey this morning. I really need your advice
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by Mayor555(m): 9:07am On Oct 02, 2020
ScepticalPyrrho:
Please fellow nairalanders and car experts my Toyota Camry 2005/6 (Big Daddy) model with no prior signs developed Gear Selection issue, after I had travelled for over two hours yesterday. Although I managed to arrive at my destination after a mechanic who assisted me advised that I changed the oil, only after I allow the engine rest for the night. So I checked the factory engine prescription and bought Type IV tramission fluid against the advise of the mechanic who wanted to get a cheaper oil.

The mechanic came back this morning to change the oil. Initially the car moved freely. But immediately I entered a major road the gear selection problem started again,
now. It wuld enter gear, but once d ride push forward for about 15 secs it wuld fail again. I would av to wait for it to rest again, den it picks when I start, again and again. Right now its like I have wait longer. The mechanic said I shouldn't bother to try to repair the gear I should just get a new one.

Although I've called another mechanic to check it. Na the matter I dey this morning. I really need your advice

That's most likely a 13pin transmission, won't advice you to repair/rebuild. Just replace.

If you don't have money for the 13pin, buy 10pin. Then have them convert it to work.

Where are you located?
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 10:14am On Oct 02, 2020
Please I need advice
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 10:23am On Oct 02, 2020
Mayor555:

That's most likely a 13pin transmission, won't advice you to repair/rebuild. Just replace.

If you don't have money for the 13pin, buy 10pin. Then have them convert it to work.
This is exactly what the mechanic suggested

Where are you located?
Asaba.

I don't mind replacing it with 13 pin. But the mechanic said a lot of persons are avoiding the 13 pin cos it is known to develop faults quickly.
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:47am On Oct 02, 2020
Mayor555:

Where are you located?
What is the guarantee that 10pin will run fine?

2 Likes

Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by woodrow(m): 11:55am On Oct 02, 2020
Ask yourself a question, if 10 pin was suitable, why did the manufacturer put a 13 pin in it?

Why go thru the stress of having to replace and redesign when u can simply replace and enjoy?

If you are the type that pays attention to your vehicle, you would notice that the 10 pin won't give u what the 13 pin would give to u.

Replace with a 13 pin, use the recommended transmission fluid and you should be fine.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by id4sho(m): 1:17pm On Oct 02, 2020
the gearbox strainer(filter) should be washed with petrol
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by Mayor555(m): 1:51pm On Oct 02, 2020
woodrow:
Ask yourself a question, if 10 pin was suitable, why did the manufacturer put a 13 pin in it?

Why go thru the stress of having to replace and redesign when u can simply replace and enjoy?

If you are the type that pays attention to your vehicle, you would notice that the 10 pin won't give u what the 13 pin would give to u.

Replace with a 13 pin, use the recommended transmission fluid and you should be fine.

What you don't know is that it is not about replacement only. It's more than that.

What guarantees you would be buying a good one...I don't think you know how sensitive this is.

Would've recommended he buys from Gazzuz.z but he's in asaba ...Man doesn't sell transmission he won't be the one to install. And e get why!

But op, you can talk to gazzu.z and persuade him to help you source for the 13pin gear, you might be lucky.

The 13pin the best replacement, but to avoid headaches, people tend to replace with 10pin.

ScepticalPyrrho:

This is exactly what the mechanic suggested

Asaba.

I don't mind replacing it with 13 pin. But the mechanic said a lot of persons are avoiding the 13 pin cos it is known to develop faults quickly.

1 Like

Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by Mayor555(m): 1:53pm On Oct 02, 2020
id4sho:

You can try this suggestion ...but I'll prefer you replace the filter. Don't throw away your new oil o. Use am back.
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by Mayor555(m): 1:55pm On Oct 02, 2020
ScepticalPyrrho:
What is the guarantee that 10pin will run fine?

It will run fine, but the pick up is slower than that of 13pin

The pick up won't be sharp like that of 13pin.
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 1:56pm On Oct 02, 2020
id4sho:
Thanks. Someone else also said this. I've insisted that the Mechanic does that first, if it doesn't work well then we'll replace with 13pin, and take the risk.

1 Like

Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 1:57pm On Oct 02, 2020
woodrow:

Thank you.
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 1:58pm On Oct 02, 2020
Mayor555:

What you don't know is that it is not about replacement only. It's more than that.

What guarantees you would be buying a good one...I don't think you know how sensitive this is.

Would've recommended he buys from Gazzuz.z but he's in asaba ...Man doesn't sell transmission he won't be the one to install. And e get why!

But op, you can talk to gazzu.z and persuade him to help you source for the 13pin gear, you might be lucky.

The 13pin the best replacement, but to avoid headaches, people tend to replace with 10pin.

ok. How do I contact gazzuz
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 1:58pm On Oct 02, 2020
Mayor555:

It will run fine, but the pick up is slower than that of 13pin

The pick up won't be sharp like that of 13pin.
ok
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by Mayor555(m): 2:02pm On Oct 02, 2020
ScepticalPyrrho:

Let me call him for you.

Search for Gazzuzz on auto section.
You'll get his contact from his profile.
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 2:05pm On Oct 02, 2020
Mayor555:

You can try this suggestion ...but I'll prefer you replace the filter. Don't throw away your new oil o. Use am back.
I'm doing exactly as you said, since it wouldnt worsen anything, and cos the gear oil was very black when it was drained, i suspect it as affected the system, maybe a new oil in the system will correct it.
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by melviniyke2002(m): 5:46pm On Oct 02, 2020
ScepticalPyrrho:
+2348033910382 Gazzuzz's no
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by melviniyke2002(m): 5:49pm On Oct 02, 2020
Mayor555:

Where are you located?
pls how much is 13 pin
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by Mayor555(m): 7:01pm On Oct 02, 2020
melviniyke2002:
pls how much is 13 pin

200k+

1 Like

Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:09pm On Oct 02, 2020
ScepticalPyrrho:

The 2005/6 Camry 4cylinder is matted to the U250E 5 speed transmission unit.

It is a very sensitive transmission unit that will not entertain any form of contamination .

One of the reasons this particular transmission fails is because most technicians work in environments that can easily facilitate contamination .

Major cause of failure is sand/dirt getting into the transmission from 2 places .

1. CV axle

2. Refill port

Another place that could cause failure in this transmission (and many others) is a damaged air vent which is located on top the transmission housing. The air vent I usually extended via a plastic joint and a rubber pipe, and raised to the level of the height of the dipstick, or close to the vehicles head cylinder. The reason the vehicle manufacturer raised the Vent that high was to limit the possibility of water entering into the transmission during driving in wet conditions that might involve water levels that would possibly submerge the transmission which is very common on most Nigerian terrains. When the plastic joint gets damaged it is easy for fluid from external sources to contaminate transmission .

Now to your present situation.

Vehicle is produced with a 5speed aka 13pin transmission which is currently failing.

What is recommended is a 4speed 10pin transmission .

The vehicle will move (the wonders of Toyota/Lexus) but when wiring it up installer has 5solenoid connections and 4 solenoids.what happens is vehicle will always skip a gear that will not be connected . The vehicle will no longer be able to downshift, and on every cycle of transmission shifts you will notice an uncomfortable thump.

I understand why most technicians avoid the U250E transmission, this is because in this part of the world we are not very smart, the engine sellers remove the CV axles from the transmissions and leave them bare which also is a possible cause of contamination , and because it is already a sensitive transmission the technician is already setup for failure before he starts the job.

My advice contact the transmission seller to supply and install transmission . He will provide part, oil and installer , and will give you a guarantee on work done , he will also replace transmission as many times as required until it works.

Good luck.

Gazzuzz

Googlemechanic
Non-Monk
Edible catering

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ndcide(m): 7:57pm On Oct 02, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

It is a very sensitive transmission unit that will not entertain any form of contamination .

One of the reasons this particular transmission fails is because most technicians work in environments that can easily facilitate contamination .

Major cause of failure is sand/dirt getting into the transmission from 2 places .

1. CV axle

2. Refill port

Another place that could cause failure in this transmission (and many others) is a damaged air vent which is located on top the transmission housing. The air vent I usually extended via a plastic joint and a rubber pipe, and raised to the level of the height of the dipstick, or close to the vehicles head cylinder. The reason the vehicle manufacturer raised the Vent that high was to limit the possibility of water entering into the transmission during driving in wet conditions that might involve water levels that would possibly submerge the transmission which is very common on most Nigerian terrains. When the plastic joint gets damaged it is easy for fluid from external sources to contaminate transmission .

Vehicle is produced with a 5speed aka 13pin transmission which is currently failing.

The vehicle will move (the wonders of Toyota/Lexus) but when wiring it up installer has 5solenoid connections and 4 solenoids.what happens is vehicle will always skip a gear that will not be connected . The vehicle will no longer be able to downshift, and on every cycle of transmission shifts you will notice an uncomfortable thump.

I understand why most technicians avoid the U250E transmission, this is because in this part of the world we are not very smart, the engine sellers remove the CV axles from the transmissions and leave them bare which also is a possible cause of contamination , and because it is already a sensitive transmission the technician is already setup for failure before he starts the job.

My advice contact the transmission seller to supply and install transmission . He will provide part, oil and installer , and will give you a guarantee on work done , he will also replace transmission as many times as required until it works.

Good luck.

Gazzuzz

Googlemechanic
Non-Monk
Edible catering

TOUCHÉ!!!

2 Likes

Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by Bizzyliss(m): 8:19pm On Oct 02, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

1. CV axle

2. Refill port

Good luck.

Gazzuzz

Googlemechanic
Non-Monk
Edible catering

this one bad o lol

1 Like

Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 12:47am On Oct 03, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

1. CV axle

2. Refill port

Good luck.

Gazzuzz

Googlemechanic
Non-Monk
Edible catering

You're far too kind Sir.
Thanks for the advice/tutoring.

I have managed to drive the vehicle to my house and away from the mechanic. I have begun search for a confident mechanic who can give me guarantee of fixing a 13pin gear with no stories.

I really really appreciate....

1 Like

Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by woodrow(m): 8:55am On Oct 03, 2020
Mayor555:

It's as simple as ABC for someone who knows what he is doing. The same 13 pin can be found in a Toyota camry 07 and above. What the people selling replacements do is to sell the gear with the recommended original atf WS and also give u someone to install.

If u insist u want ur mech to install, the seller won't be responsible for whatever complains that may arise or he might choose not to sell to u at all. The reason people install 10 pin is because it's cheaper than 13 pin.
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by Mayor555(m): 10:16am On Oct 03, 2020
woodrow:

It's as simple as ABC for someone who knows what he is doing. The same 13 pin can be found in a Toyota camry 07 and above. What the people selling replacements do is to sell the gear with the recommended original atf WS and also give u someone to install.

If u insist u want ur mech to install, the seller won't be responsible for whatever complains that may arise or he might choose not to sell to u at all. The reason people install 10 pin is because it's cheaper than 13 pin.

Cheaper? Yes but not that alone.
Alright sir.

My tip is from the street.
I accept you if you don't accept me

1 Like

Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 3:23pm On Oct 08, 2020
Just to update you guys. I finally got a tokumbo 13pin gear box from Onitsha. I went with a Mechanic was quite confident he can fix it....
Right now the car is being reassembled, but its still a long way to go. I'm praying it works, cause I've spent a lot...
embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by froshbuddy: 3:33pm On Oct 08, 2020
It will end in praise!
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 3:55pm On Oct 08, 2020
froshbuddy:
It will end in praise!
Amen �
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:57pm On Oct 08, 2020
ScepticalPyrrho:
Just to update you guys. I finally got a tokumbo 13pin gear box from Onitsha. I went with a Mechanic was quite confident he can fix it....
Right now the car is being reassembled, but its still a long way to go. I'm praying it works, cause I've spent a lot...
embarassed

I'll give it a test drive on sat, give me a call then
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by BamBamK: 5:47pm On Oct 08, 2020
interesting

GAZZUZZ:

I'll give it a test drive on sat, give me a call then
Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by Control7: 5:57pm On Oct 08, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

1. CV axle

2. Refill port

Good luck.

Gazzuzz

Googlemechanic
Non-Monk
Edible catering

Op, is like you didn't read this part of the post as you have decided to go with your Mech. What if it doesn't go as expected, who bears the loss? You, the mechanic or the seller?

4 Likes

Re: Gear Problems: Toyota Camry 2005 Model, 4 Plug Engine by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:32am On Oct 09, 2020
I finally drove the car last night after the gearbox was replaced. The error symbol on the dashboard which appeared when the problem started last week Thursday has disappeared, even before the engine was turned on.

The only difference I noticed was that the transitioning of gear is very noticeable. When it changes from one to the other gear, any observant person can feel it, although there is no thumping or jerking, just a push accompanied with an increased rev. I was told by my friends that this was normal and the engine will correct itself gradually.

I hope they are right.

Cc. Gazzuzz,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Low RPM At Normal Operating Temperature / Nissan X Trail. / Pls Help!!! My Husband Want To Buy Nigeria Use Muscle For Use Of Taxi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.