Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,628 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? (37791 Views)

Nekede Poly Furious With Lady Claiming She Graduated With God Help, Private Part / Great Day For Me I Graduated With First Class (photo) / Sex Scandal: Dr. Aduwo, Ekiti State University Lecturer Caught With Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Anaerobi(m): 8:14pm On Oct 02, 2020
loneprof:

Hahaha.... I fear o. Honestly I didn't know.

In case you know a school that admits to PhD without masters in Nigeria, please tell me o grin
my fellow big head have mentioned it again... una too fast to see person mistakes ah swear. lol.
but maybe I will start it... phd before masters.
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by vickydevoka(m): 8:14pm On Oct 02, 2020
Me way graduate with 4.4 leave school completely. Bros once u are not retained as bgs abeg jst forget am.
In mechanical engineering tbh na who u know. Department varies

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Anaerobi(m): 8:15pm On Oct 02, 2020
i926:
Were you high before you typed this?
What is PhD then Master's?
Hahahahahah. I was high o. ogun weed.
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Bedesipop(m): 8:16pm On Oct 02, 2020
i seeeeeeeeeee de moon
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 02, 2020
Anaerobi:

Hahahahahah. I was high o.
ogun weed.
I need some, bro. grin
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Angelnath(m): 8:17pm On Oct 02, 2020
loko50:

He doesn't need any PGD. He will be admitted for masters. The op is okay
Some schools required PGD for graduates with 2.2 oga
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 02, 2020
Anaerobi:

my fellow big head have mentioned it again... una too fast to see person mistakes ah swear. lol.
Possible in some universities abroad.

After BSc, straight up to PhD. No Msc
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Vanzcharles(m): 8:21pm On Oct 02, 2020
Olisehinnocent:
Please what is 5.0 point system?

5.0 point system is a grading system where the university grades you based on a five point scale.
The best your A can give you is a five point mark.
You have A,B C,D,E,F which translates to 5,4,3,2,1, 0 .Zero is not regarded as a point. So you have 5 grade points.

A 4.0 grade system is a grading system where the university grades you based on a for point scale. The best your A gives you is a four point mark.
You have A,B,C,D,F which translates to 4,3,2,1,0.
Zero is not regarded. You can notice the absence of E. You can see the pass mark is being peddled at D that's 45 in real sense.
4.5~5.0 translates to First class in a 5.0
3.0 ~4.0 translates to first class in a 4.0

2 Likes

Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by TenderManiac: 8:22pm On Oct 02, 2020
If you don't know any politician or anybody in government, you better go back to school and this time around, READ.

1 Like

Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by madridsta007(m): 8:22pm On Oct 02, 2020
IamDavid:
Hi people, I just graduated with a 2.2 in one of the sciences. (CGPA 3.3). I admit that was due to my carelessness. Recently, I have this strong ambition to become a university lecturer and rise to the peak of my career.

Now, these are my concerns. What are the chances of getting a lecturing job (after I might have gotten my PhD) considering the 2.2 Bsc result? Or it
doesn't matter once there are higher qualifications?

Is it worthwhile to sit for JAMB again and start all afresh? I'm still in my mid twenties and the drive is high. I know I can do it, but is it necessary / worth it?

It is still very much possible with your 2.2. I’ll suggest you do a few things;

1. Develop a very strong work ethic. Be ruthlessly efficient and effective. Cut down on social hours and have an uncompromising and positive approach to tasks.
2. Get your MSc/MA done. While at it, read widely, read journals and conference papers. Understand how to write literature reviews and understand the different (common) methods in methodologies in your field. Start publishing papers- network well and I am sure you will find senior academics who want to publish with you. Cut what you do that consists of “social life”.
3. Maintain a strong work ethic and ensure you publish a number of papers. You’ll get rejections but you’ll get the thick skin required to deal with it.
4. Apply and start your PhD. Continue to build a track record in publishing and delivering high level academic content at workshops, etc. Teach and supervise students where you can.
5. Apply early for academic roles. At the end of your 2nd year (if your PhD is 3-4 years) or in your 3rd year (if your PhD is 5 years, etc). Again, it depends on where you do your PhD.
6. You should get an academic role, but never you drop your work ethic and publications drive. Else you will be easily kicked out, despite having a PhD.

All the best.

3 Likes

Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by LORDKing001: 8:23pm On Oct 02, 2020
IamDavid:
Hi people, I just graduated with a 2.2 in one of the sciences. (CGPA 3.3). I admit that was due to my carelessness. Recently, I have this strong ambition to become a university lecturer and rise to the peak of my career.

Now, these are my concerns. What are the chances of getting a lecturing job (after I might have gotten my PhD) considering the 2.2 Bsc result? Or it

Is it worthwhile to sit for JAMB again and start all afresh? I'm still in my mid twenties and the drive is high. I know I can do it, but is it necessary / worth it?
Your HoD maybe 3rd class graduate ask him how e do am
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Omoobalamba: 8:24pm On Oct 02, 2020
You need to do your Masters and your PhD. It's not that had.

By the way, please read my blog post:

5 Profitable Businesses You Can Start With N20,000 in Nigeria. https://naijabiz.ng/5-profitable-businesses-you-can-start-with-n20000-in-nigeria/
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Backcheck: 8:26pm On Oct 02, 2020
loneprof:

Most university lecturers and teachers in general actually have a 2.2. I wonder why you're surprised by this... Since when did 2.2 turn into a bad result? You write as if he had 3rd class... Even 3rd class holders are lecturing.

60% of graduates in Nigeria are 2.2 graduates. Some 2-3 percent may be first class, some 20% may be 2.1 and the rest 18% belong to 3rd class and pass...

I never said it was bad. I was only encouraging the op.
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 02, 2020
Anaerobi:

LOL clown... cheesy grin
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by haftob(m): 8:31pm On Oct 02, 2020
IamDavid:

You can't get a lecturing job with a 2.2 + masters, but u can get with a PhD.
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by manuelcc(m): 8:31pm On Oct 02, 2020
Start all over and get a better gpa
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Junior66(m): 8:32pm On Oct 02, 2020
yungchop:

My supervisor was a Third class graduate. Do for post graduate in education, then masters and PhD.
assuming what you said is true, it can't happen anymore. As a matter of fact no school recruits anyone with a 2.2 unless said person already has a PhD.
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Junior66(m): 8:33pm On Oct 02, 2020
sinkhole:
It does not matter once you have higher qualifications, in fact, if you have lower class at undergraduate but persevere to have PhD and continue to be producing high quality research article, published in reputable international journals such Elsevier, springer, nature, science, etc, you will simply be the talk of town, people will be using you as good example of determine person and you will become a mentor to many students and others.
Even if you have 3rd class, you can still be a lecturer provided you continue with PGD and MSc then you could be employed as a lecturer.
Not possible with a third class degree.
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by pegix(m): 8:34pm On Oct 02, 2020
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by pegix(m): 8:35pm On Oct 02, 2020
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by pegix(m): 8:35pm On Oct 02, 2020
Kole werk grin
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by kollysnut(m): 8:36pm On Oct 02, 2020
IamDavid:

Get a shop, name it has, ur name school, automatically u r a lecturer......
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 02, 2020
2.2 have levels alot, anything above 3.3 is seen as a good results . some lecturing jobs categorical stares such . So Mr u don't have a bad result, get ur Msc and get ur job.

1 Like

Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Yankee101: 8:37pm On Oct 02, 2020
phd
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by TroubleMaker47(m): 8:37pm On Oct 02, 2020
Homeboiy:
Better go start bombing

One day clients go pay

Wetin make u think say u go still serious for msc
Born troway!
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Anaerobi(m): 8:39pm On Oct 02, 2020
i926:
I need some, bro. grin
hahaha. no, u fit type, he should have gone for service after primary 6. lol.
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Anaerobi(m): 8:40pm On Oct 02, 2020
i926:

Possible in some universities abroad.

After BSc, straight up to PhD. No Msc
that is countries that have gone so much far... not under developed like Nigeria.
I wish Nigeria is a Man.
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Samfloxin(m): 8:41pm On Oct 02, 2020
ChilamNk:
Honestly I don't know.

*Modified*
One of my lecturer in school back then is a third class holder, today she is a Prof. and HOD of the department.

To be a lecture you must have your masters.

alternatively you can apply as assistant lecturer from there you will further to obtain your masters.

.note you must obtain your master before you can start lecturing in class.
He can be A graduate assistant which is level 7 in the university. Assistant lecturer is level 8 and you can't go there without masters. A graduate assistant will go to class with a senior lecturer or professor and watch the senior colleague as he lectures. That's what we call mentoring. He can begin to lecture alone at Assistant lecturer cadre.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Anaerobi(m): 8:41pm On Oct 02, 2020
loneprof:

LOL clown... cheesy grin
Hahahahhaha. Abeg leave us with our clown... it's not your clown.
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by adicious(m): 8:49pm On Oct 02, 2020
Most Universities won't employ you as a GA because you didn't make 2¹. If you have money, you can start your Masters in a less competitive school that will admit you at your grade. I know Universities that take as low as 2.7CGPA for masters.
PG programs can be very expensive. So I'll advice you get a job that will sustain you till you conclude your MSc and a job as an AL.
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Realboygenius(m): 8:51pm On Oct 02, 2020
Anything is possible if you work towards it. Meanwhile you can participate in the Transforming Nigeria Youth entrepreneurial development program organised by Enterprise Development Centre (EDC) and MasterCard in a bid to curb the increase of unemployment in Nigeria. It's open to everyone. Use below link to apply.
Re: I Graduated With A 2.2, How Do I Become A University Lecturer? by Orpe7(m): 8:55pm On Oct 02, 2020
U wan work for uni so u fit dey knack akpako your female students abi
Ko joor
Go find another work grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Online University BSc. Degrees In Nigeria / Dapo Akande Honoured With A Portrait At Oxford University / 10 Categories Of Ladies In A Female Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.