Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,026 members, 7,807,036 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? (29145 Views)

Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin / King Onwa 'Eze Awo' Disgraced For Insulting Imo King Online. Photos/Videos / Bode Thomas Died Of Barking After Insulting Alaafin Of Oyo. How True? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Parisian: 10:37am On Oct 05, 2020
I don't even know but my parents don't though.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by TheUndercover: 10:37am On Oct 05, 2020
*Sighs,
Well, this is my own view on that: Asking the question 'How Are You?' to an elderly person or someone superior is disrespectful.

I think the better way to do that is to ask this way: How are you doing Sir/Ma?

Don't forget, it's a personal question and you shouldn't ask that question to someone you aren't close to.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Ahmeduana(m): 10:37am On Oct 05, 2020
In Africa set-up, you don't ask your elders about there wellbeing, Africa elders believe that is there God given duty or responsibility to take cares of the younger ones, so for this reason they find it insulting or kind incompetent for a kid or a more younger person than them to reverse that God given role, and this is common among the Yorubas.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by BornnAgainChild(f): 10:37am On Oct 05, 2020
dederocs:
Never ask an adult 'how are you'...rather say hope doing great'

The worst undecided
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 05, 2020
DamnnNiggarr:
imagine a boy of 15yrs, instead of greeting me "GOOD MORNING SIR" he went on to ask me "HOW ARE YOU"
I'll beat the hell outta his head.
what if he fights you back
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by uuzba(m): 10:39am On Oct 05, 2020
mikezuruki:
I have noticed that adults in this part of the world perceive that to be insult.

They feel belittled and disrespected.

Why?
Depends who's asking.
If your mate or junior is asking, you just tell them to F*** You, A**Hole

If your senior, Elder, 10, 20 years older is asking, you can then answer, fine or not fine.

The person Asking, "How are you?" should be capable of solving whatever problem you have. If not what is he asking for? To laugh at you or what?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Kestolove(m): 10:40am On Oct 05, 2020
Buhari how are you?
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by uuzba(m): 10:42am On Oct 05, 2020
Zzor:
Then, damnNigger will escalate the initial beating to killing.

Do not ask you elder "How are you". It is not you business.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by wacuc0: 10:42am On Oct 05, 2020
How are you is not Good morning.
The idea of asking How are you, is to be in a position to offer help. It is not really a greeting.
It should come from a stronger to a weaker person. Older to a younger person, Healthy to a sick person. Not the other way round.
But is the young is in such position he can offer the "HOW ARE YOU".
I can go to see my elder brother in the hospital, I can ask him brother "How are you"
It will not the best of me to go to his house and knock and he comes out I ask Brother How are you? But it is not really an insult

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Samiah33(m): 10:43am On Oct 05, 2020
techmo:
cool

Na proud unexposed people dey take awayu as insult

I once worked for a customer who is rich and elderly, and when ever I ask him how are you sir his workers would start looking at me somehow as if I insulted their boss, however the man would simply say his mind in a jovial manner, like I asked how he was and he smiled and was telling me he isn't fine over his EPL clubs defeat and we joke

why did you use "Sir" ? we claim to be exposed and see what our exposure has cause us, go to Japan and see how with all the money they have they still believe in their culture

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by uuzba(m): 10:43am On Oct 05, 2020
hotplate:
because they feel if dey tell u their problem you cant help them
Abi
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by wacuc0: 10:43am On Oct 05, 2020
You are correct.
How are you is not greeting like Good morning. People mistake it to be so.

uuzba:

Depends who's asking.
If your mate or junior is asking, you just tell them to F*** You, A**Hole

If you senior, Elder, 10, 20 years older is asking, you can then answer, fine or not fine.

The person Asking, "How are you?" should be capable of solving whatever problem you have. If not what is he asking for? To laugh at you or what?
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by DamnnNiggarr: 10:44am On Oct 05, 2020
Zzor:
I'm a body builder, one of my guys own a gymming house, I do visit once in a while,
So fear can't let him do otherwise or stand before me to say nonsense.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by SeriouslySense(m): 10:44am On Oct 05, 2020
Its not offensive to me, but i think people find it offensive because they think it is very simple language, personally i love simple language.

mikezuruki:
I have noticed that adults in this part of the world perceive that to be insult.

Why?
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 05, 2020
uuzba:

Then, damnNigger will escalate the initial beating to killing.

Do not ask you elder "How are you". It is not you business.
What if you ended up being the one beaten? don't underestimate the strength of a 15yr old these days,weed influence should be a reminder in that regards.All I'm saying is you can simply correct him/her without being harsh or going violent

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by EazyJ(f): 10:45am On Oct 05, 2020
Vyzz:
Who the hel finds "How are u" disrespectful?

My question is why do girls find it difficult to reply to #how far?"
"How far" sounds guyish especially when it's said as a greeting. But then it depends on your relationship with each other.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Donspicey: 10:45am On Oct 05, 2020
Am busy now maybe wen am tru i will answer you
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by SirMichael1: 10:47am On Oct 05, 2020
EazyJ:

"How far" sounds guyish especially when it's said as a greeting. But then it depends on your relationship with each other.
How far?
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by uboma(m): 10:48am On Oct 05, 2020
maasoap:

Our culture is different, it has nothing to do with exposure and insecurity. You can't ask ask your elder brother or your elder brother's friend "how are you". That's not our culture, it's not who we are. Simple

There is nothing wrong asking someone who is older, 'how are you?', 'how is life treating you?'.

I ask people older than me same. If you feel offended, its your headache, not mine.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by SirMichael1: 10:48am On Oct 05, 2020
Donspicey:
Am busy now maybe wen am tru i will answer you
No one asked, no one cares.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by padi94(m): 10:49am On Oct 05, 2020
tobechi74:

Be specific, African adult

Those raised abroad do not

Yes that's why its social conditioning, our society- culture and religion hv made us think and act in a certain way. In this case asking someone that is older than you how are you is seen as disrespectful. How are you to Nigerians living here comes from a place of superiority. If a child asks an adult that, then its termed disrespectful.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by sylve11: 10:49am On Oct 05, 2020
IamD18:
If you see your elder. GREET and ask no unnecessary question.

Simple.

very precise!!!

Abeg take Hi 5........ wink cool
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by OwenJesse27(m): 10:50am On Oct 05, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pTU6loTL3Q

The woman burna boy ft in is music the musters you made
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by femi4: 10:51am On Oct 05, 2020
mikezuruki:

Why?
naija mentality, they believed its meant for young ones
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by sylve11: 10:51am On Oct 05, 2020
blessedchild234:
let the child better not be close while saying those words.

lol grin cool
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Tatashi: 10:51am On Oct 05, 2020
Its not disrespectful. Dont fail to add "Sir or Ma'am to the question tho. How are you,Sir? How are you Ma?
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Kamdil: 10:52am On Oct 05, 2020
AFONAMARO:

Oga shift! In fact, dress go far! Which kain yeye African respect!

Whenever i speak to my Pop's or Old girl, i go, Mpa/Mma, good morning, kee k'imere? And that's what's up!

Ona for kuku carry respect for head like gala
u can do that to ur parents, everybody is not ur parent. U don't go about raising shoulder with older people outside like u do to ur people.if ur family tradition permits it continue, but don't go to Yoruba land and relate with people like that,they will banish u

And u said u greeted them first, before that 'ke ki mere'

Why don't u ke ki mere them without good morning first?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by lagbaja(m): 10:52am On Oct 05, 2020
Cultures are different in every society. The translation of "how are you" in our African language has a different meaning contextually. That is why an adult will feel offended when you ask them " how are you "

E.g The Yoruba meaning of How are you is 'Bawo ni" or " Se alafia ni". Culturally, that greeting can only come from someone older than you. If you say it to an older person, you are perceived to be very rude and untrained.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by sammy7410(m): 10:53am On Oct 05, 2020
I find dis topic insulting

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by demoBaba: 10:53am On Oct 05, 2020
That's true, there's different between

1. How are you

2. How are you sir/ma

I think it's disrespect to ask your senior one .....How are you

As a yoruba man

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by LAguy(m): 10:54am On Oct 05, 2020
It doesn't make sense greeting an elder with just a mere how are you.

I understand that you don't know, but I'm telling you now for you to know.

It is better that you simply say how are you doing sir with respect, then I will respond to you with I'm fine thank you.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by sammy7410(m): 10:54am On Oct 05, 2020
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival / Olu Of Warri Receives T'suut'ina Highest Honor In Canada / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.