Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? (34488 Views)

Two Jobs I Will Advice My Children Against. / Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic / N85k Bank Contract Staff Job Vs N50k Public School Teaching Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by NNAMDIII(m): 6:20am On Oct 08, 2020
Emir8:

Here is the time schedule:

Secondary school: 8:00AM - 4:00PM
University: 8:00AM - 6:00PM

I used to teach some Lebanese and Pakistanis children private lessons from 4:30 to 6:30 in which I make up to N58,000 a month. I have to sacrifice that too if I accept the university work
Help yourself and continue the secondary School job else you'll regret it
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Emir8: 6:50am On Oct 08, 2020
adeleks:

I've gone through your profile, can't see any post mentioning said school. All I saw was an attention seeking person. From post of suicide to post about your wife donating her salary to church. And you said fiancé on this post. Grow up dude
I'm just coming online since yesterday. However send you message is not the OP of this thread.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Olibboy: 6:52am On Oct 08, 2020
iaamxavier:

Can you teach these kids forever? No!
Think about career prospects rather than the current pay!
Do you know how lecturers make their money?
From sales of hand out and textbook
Imagine you get to sell handouts at the rate of 1k to 100 students per department and you're lecturing about 5 departments (100Level)
Do the math
As a lecturer you can't possibly have class from 8-6PM
Every school session ends by 4pm
I don't want to including sorting grin because that's corruption
Anyways its still your choice to make
Just lent my advice
He is talking about a private university. he might not have access to be selling handbooks
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by bukatyne(f): 8:32am On Oct 08, 2020
crackhaus:

Lmao... so you have sharp tongue like this cheesycheesy

Innocent me? embarassed
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by turawaa(m): 9:15am On Oct 08, 2020
Sixfeetbelle:

So he should calmly explain to his mother to understand, but he shouldn't do that to his fiancée?

Later you guys will say your wife is disrespectful. Why won't she when you treat her like second hand material.

Sniper is just #700
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Twifemmy(m): 9:17am On Oct 08, 2020
Don't laugh Alone,... She Just released this one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRxzs-vL1kc
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Ajibade123(m): 9:27am On Oct 08, 2020
Emir8:

Here is the time schedule:

Secondary school: 8:00AM - 4:00PM
University: 8:00AM - 6:00PM

I used to teach some Lebanese and Pakistanis children private lessons from 4:30 to 6:30 in which I make up to N58,000 a month. I have to sacrifice that too if I accept the university work
do you stay in Lagos bro??
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Emir8: 2:06pm On Oct 08, 2020
Ajibade123:

do you stay in Lagos bro??
No
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by OJURONGBE1(m): 5:26pm On Oct 08, 2020
nijaomegacode:
My God! Is this happening in Nigeria?
I'm a graduate and I don't even have a job. First class in agricultural extension and Management for that matter. I will not cry.

Post taken down.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Nobody: 9:18am On Oct 19, 2020
Hectarus:

I had to log in for a major reason.
To correct the impression that being a University Lecturer will make you rich or better.
First of al congratulations on your offer
Now here are my opinions
Since its a private University they may start with you as a GA or AL.
Now if youre in that level within 3-4 years you must have a PhD or be prepared to face an uncertain future.
If I were you, I would stay in the Secondary School, work towards getting a PhD and get a better bargaining leverage.
My friend was in Igbinedion for 3 years with a PhD in Engineering. The thing wey man eye see, mouth no go fit talk am.
Salary was irregular, job insecurity, etc.

I wish you well

As for your fiancee, if she was meant for you she'll abide by any decision you make.
Regards
What year was your friend in Igbinedion?
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Hectarus(m): 10:52am On Oct 19, 2020
anastasius:

What year was your friend in Igbinedion?
Year? You speak like you work there.

I can't divulge that.
He has since resigned and moved on to better things though.
His bargaining leverage was his PhD.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 19, 2020
Hectarus:

Year? You speak like you work there.

I can't divulge that.
He has since resigned and moved on to better things though.
His bargaining leverage was his PhD.

Lol. It's ok. Just wanted to know if it was recent or far back because things I've changed.I don't work there, I have people schooling there.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Hectarus(m): 11:44am On Oct 20, 2020
anastasius:

Lol. It's ok. Just wanted to know if it was recent or far back because things I've changed.I don't work there, I have people schooling there.
Ok, No problems bro.
One has to be careful these days.
He left in 18.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 20, 2020
Hectarus:

Ok, No problems bro.
One has to be careful these days.
He left in 18.

Ok
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by obstead200(m): 4:36pm On Jul 26, 2021
anastasius:

forget it. Private Universities owe their staff a lot.... especially these mushroom ones springing up all over the place.
Reason why they hardly attract and retain quality lecturers. Also the reason why they are always employing.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by jmichael259(m): 4:32pm On Oct 12, 2022
[quote author=Emir8 post=94674583] Hello Nairalanders,
I really need advice.. between the two jobs before me. My family members are divided over which job I should choose.

I'm working in a highbrow secondary.. After three years, my salary is now N96,000.00. I just got a lecturing job with a private university and my gross salary according to the appointment letter is N88,000.00. My father wants me to continue with my teaching in the secondary school but *bla bla bla* My mind is in the secondary school because there is free lunch and N150,000.00 housing allowance [quote]

I dnt see any division here. Two men have thought something through and you are giving airtime to a gender's opinion solely based on being called "mother/wife of a lecturer."

Does the titles pay bills?

If ur mum & (especially) fiancee will sign a legal document agreeing to supplement the lunch and allowance u will be losing, then, go with them to the private uni charade.
If not, naija transformers are mostly huggable.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! / What Was The Amount Of Your First Salary? / Officer Who Returned €37,000 He Found In The Airport Got Double Promotion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.