Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

#ENDSARS: The Perspectives - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #ENDSARS: The Perspectives (221 Views)

EndSARS: The Soro Soke Radio Twitter Account Has Been Suspended / EndSARS: The 7-Point Demands / The $322million We Have: Observing The Perspectives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#ENDSARS: The Perspectives by AkuYAY: 4:35pm On Oct 08, 2020
#ENDSARS: Police, Social media Influencers and lessons from NairaMarley
---------------------
The general notion of a social media influencer is a typical individual who has huge followers on social media platforms. Unknowingly, the power and importance of a social media influencer can be overwhelming and impactful. Most importantly, social media influencers have the power to motivate almost all their followers to take an action on a cause.

This could translate to societal and government-related issues or any cause of action. Lately, there have been widespread reactions, over a viral video of young man who was shot in front of a hotel in Ughelli, Delta State, by Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) operatives. The gruesome act reignited the already existing #ENDSARS campaign, which has been on for a while. Citizens and Non-governmental Organizations, particularly Amnesty International, had accused officers of the department for orchestrating illegal and wanton arrests, which has led to the detainment, torture and extortion of citizens and their relatives.

Also Read: #ENDSARS: Beyond Reforms, Restructuring and Bans

Legally, SARS is a branch of the Nigerian Police Force, which deals with crimes associated with firearms, armed robbery, car snatching, kidnappings and cattle rustling. However, they have been accused of harassing youths for their modes of dressing, types of phones they use and even contacts they have. These accusations brought about the #ENDSARS social media campaign. Over Ten thousand people had recently signed a petition, demanding the immediate scrapping of the squad.

The power of influencers to draw the attention of government, as well as security agencies on issues of significant concerns can be seen from the action of a popular Nigerian musician, NairaMarley. The musician had recently called on the youths to embark on a peaceful protest with regards to the #ENDSARS campaign. The protest, which was expected to hold on Tuesday, 6th of October, was later suspended after the Police Force responded to NairaMarley’s tweet. The musician said, “we need to stop protesting on twitter because that’s all we’ve been doing. We need to protest in real life. Just say you are scared and you will rather tweet from home. “The protest is a cry for change. Nigerian youths and citizens should feel safe. The government has promised to make changes.

Whilst we anticipate their actions it is important we stick together to sort the issues on ground. “Protesting is never a disturbance of the peace. Corruption, injustice, war and intimidation are disturbances of the peace.” Reacting to his tweets, Alex Ozomoya also said, “I stand with you Naira. In as much as we all want a peaceful protest, but if this so called monsters in uniform dare to take a life in the course of the protest, it is going to result to war. I think someone that is influential need to pass this message to their superiors.” Also Chibuike Nkalu, added that every citizen possess the right to life, liberty and happiness. But in Nigeria, the very body tasked with ensuring the protection of life and property is the body denying these rights to our citizens. “Enough is Enough.

The time to end SARS brutality is now,” Nkalu noted assertively. Minister of Youths Development and Sports, Mr. Sunday Dare, while responding to NairaMarley’s tweet, urged him and other youths not to embark upon any protest. He said, “your grievances are being addressed at the highest level of government. As the Minister in charge of youths, I know this is an issue that must be tackled.

Government is doing just that.” There was a swift and tactical response from the Police Force, who assured the youths that their voices and complaints on the issue are heard and would be addressed. The Police maintained that the orders and restrictions on the operations of SARS and others, already issued by the IGP are just the initial steps out of the many reforms planned for the Tactical Squads. They assured that the leadership of the NPF will work with the Ministry of Youths and other stakeholders, including youth leaders, youth entrepreneurs, CSOs and others, in formulating and implementing consensual....

Continue here:https://ybtcnews.com/endsars-police-social-media-influencers-and-lessons-from-nairamarley/

#ENDSARS: Beyond Reforms, Restructuring and Bans
---------------------------------
YBTC News-History has it that the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) came into existence when one Israel Rindam, a gallant Nigerian Army Colonel, was killed by police officers at a checkpoint in Lagos in 1992. Nigerian soldiers flooded the streets of Lagos in search of any police officer, leading to the withdrawal of Nigerian police from checkpoints, security areas and other points of interest for criminals.

The then increase in crime as a result of the police absence birthed the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, with just 15 officers working in the dark without the army’s knowledge when tracking police radio chatter and normal policing duties didn’t resume until after 2 weeks of dialogue between the Nigerian Army and the Nigerian Police.

It is important to note that the SARS unit was instrumental to the arrest of most of the notorious criminals in many parts of the country. As record may have it, as at 2017, SARS has been able to arrest more than three thousand suspected kidnappers across the country. In fact, the successes recorded in reducing the high rate of crime and criminality, especially kidnapping and other deadly vices in most parts of the country, is largely the handiwork of SARS operatives.

Unfortunately, in late 2017, Nigerian human rights defenders and activists launched massive campaign tagged #EndSARS which was aimed at addressing widespread human rights violations including extrajudicial executions, torture, and other ill-treatment, rape and extortion by officers of the SARS.

Similarly, reports by Amnesty International reveals that detainees in SARS custody have been subjected to a variety of torture including hanging, mock execution, beating, punching and kicking, burning with cigarettes, waterboarding, near-asphyxiation with plastic bags, forcing detainees to assume stressful bodily positions and sexual violence.

In reaction to the public widespread outcry which gained international attention, Federal Government repeatedly reformed SARS. On 14 August 2018, Vice-President Osinbajo had ordered an immediate reform of SARS, after a widespread public outcry against their conduct. He also directed the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) to set up a judicial panel to investigate SARS alleged unlawful activities.

Prior to the recent ban on SARS operations after another public outcry over SARS illegalities, the Nigeria Police Force had, in December 2017, June 2018, January 2019 and in February this year, made related announcements of a ban of SARS and an immediate restructuring of the outfit so that rogue SARS officers would be prevented from violating citizen’s rights, extorting, torturing and extra-judicially executing innocent citizens.
It is evident that restructuring SARS is not enough, unless the government also takes concrete steps to protect vulnerable Nigerians from police abuses.

Needless to say, there is a critical need for the positive impacts of the professional, effective SARS operations in improving national security. As a matter of fact, some SARS operatives have been parts of several tactical and successful operations across the country.

Continue here:https://ybtcnews.com/endsars-beyond-reforms-restructuring-and-bans/

Akure: Again,FSARS In Another Scandal Over Torture,Extortion
------------------------------------------

YBTC News—A young Nigerian, Fatayo Williams a digital Marketing Consultant to Wema bank has narrated how men of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad assaulted him,tortured him and took all the money on him in Akure.

In an interaction with YBTC News, he revealed that he had gone on a few days holiday when he was accosted by men of the anti-robbery squad for no reason.

See his full story below

“The assault and extortion I suffered in the hands of The Federal SARS in Akure today is enough to push me to get a visa and run away. I don’t deserve such a treatment in my own country ” he said .

Narrating the incident , he said he arrived Akure on a tour before the unfortunate incident

“I arrived in Akure on official duty with some of my colleagues on Thursday, we had just finished the OAU leg of our tour and in town for the FUTA leg.”

“We had our event on Friday in FUTA and every other member of the team returned to Lagos on Saturday morning except me.”

“I even went on to explain why I am in town and asked that they reach out to any of my employer’s branches here in Akure if they doubt any information i have given”

continue here:https://ybtcnews.com/akure-againfsars-in-another-scandal-over-tortureextortion/

Re: #ENDSARS: The Perspectives by DaBullIT(m): 7:57pm On Oct 08, 2020
They have been accused?

Which fool wrote this nonsense?
Re: #ENDSARS: The Perspectives by seunlayi(m): 7:58pm On Oct 08, 2020
The real Yahoo man is bn giving over a month to appear in court and the mumu sars will be chasing small boys around the streets

(1) (Reply)

Some Social Media Influencers Are Using #endsars For Popularity - Frank Mba / Ondo 2020: Akeredolu Wins In 13 Of 16 Lgas Results Released By INEC / � END-SARS OR END-BUHARI (discussion Time Nigerians}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.