Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,848 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport (6082 Views)

Lady, Her Family Fly Airpeace From Gatwick London To Lagos With Expired Passport / Can You Still Travel Back To Nigeria With An Expired Passport? / Pilot Flying With Expired Medical Certificate Loses Licence In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by keystone123(m): 10:35pm On Oct 08, 2020
Good day house, please l will like to ask if it is possible to use expired Nigeria international passport to enter Nigeria from another country as a Nigeria. This expire and cannot be renew now as a result of covid 19 lock down.

What can one expect at the point of entry in Nigeria Airport, being a Nigerian ?
I will like to know so that l can get back to the person in concern.

Your honest contributions will be highly appreciated.
Thank you and God bless you all.
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by Nobody: 10:37pm On Oct 08, 2020
Nigeria is an expired country, So anything goes here sad

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by Simplyleo: 11:24pm On Oct 08, 2020
Of course yes.

Even if it expired 20 yrs ago, as long as you are the holder of the passport, you dont have problem entering your country. Same applies to other countries. The purpose of passport is to allow you travel to a country that is not yours and the visa stamp is the official permision to enter that country. Same applies to any other country.

But the problem is that, which airline will airlift you with an expired passport? Certainly, at the checking in counter, the airline will ascertain the validiy of your ppt and once discovered invalid, you will be rejected. At this point, the only option left for you is to go to your country's embassy to renew your passport. But how to transfer your visa stamp to the renewed ppt, i dont know. undecided

6 Likes

Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by Excessnation: 11:33pm On Oct 08, 2020
So because Nigeria is not working for you, you just have to find a way to say rubish about the country.
Xoly:

4 Likes

Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by cassidy1996(m): 2:16am On Oct 09, 2020
you want to come back, make I tell you Niger get as e be now..anyway you are welcome back.......
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by ziggy3579: 4:25am On Oct 09, 2020
I’m also in the same situation, passport is expired....Nigerian embassy is still closed due to the pandemic and man need to travel cry

2 Likes

Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by Etinosa1234: 10:35am On Oct 09, 2020
Some one is asking for advise, people are saying otherwise...

Some nairalanders dont have sense ... How do u expect the Op to be walking around a foreign country with an expired passport...

Its best u keep quiet if u don't know what to say... Instead of spewing gibberish abt a country u also spoilt

5 Likes

Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by keystone123(m): 10:54am On Oct 09, 2020
Simplyleo:
Of course yes.

Even if it expired 20 yrs ago, as long as you are the holder of the passport, you dont have problem entering your country. Same applies to other countries. The purpose of passport is to allow you travel to a country that is not yours and the visa stamp is the official permision to enter that country. Same applies to any other country.

But the problem is that, which airline will airlift you with an expired passport? Certainly, at the checking in counter, the airline will ascertain the validiy of your ppt and once discovered invalid, you will be rejected. At this point, the only option left for you is to go to your country's embassy to renew your passport. But how to transfer your visa stamp to the renewed ppt, i dont know. undecided

Thanks for your candid advise, God bless you abundantly. Meanwhile I will find out about the airline from the the person needed the advise but l don't think that can be a challenge as is having proper document to show he stays there legally.

My other question is does he need a covid 19 test result from the country is traveling from or it doesn't matter. I am asking because l believe you are more advance in traveling.

Thanks once again
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by keystone123(m): 10:55am On Oct 09, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Some one is asking for advise, people are saying otherwise...

Some nairalanders dont have sense ... How do u expect the Op to be walking around a foreign country with an expired passport...

Its best u keep quiet if u don't know what to say... Instead of spewing gibberish abt a country u also spoilt

Lol, thanks though
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by keystone123(m): 10:56am On Oct 09, 2020
ziggy3579:
I’m also in the same situation, passport is expired....Nigerian embassy is still closed due to the pandemic and man need to travel cry

Smile... Just follow the same advise.
You can also ask them questions. God bless
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by keystone123(m): 11:01am On Oct 09, 2020
Excessnation:
So because Nigeria is not working for you, you just have to find a way to say rubish about the country.

I wonder, it has not get to the level of condemning our beloved country. All will be well and l believe in Nigeria and l have faith in her prosperity. Pray for the prosperity and the goodess of Jerusalem and those that live therein shall prosper. Let us not lose hope in this great country of ours. God bless you all
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by Simplyleo: 12:51pm On Oct 09, 2020
keystone123:

Thanks for your candid advise, God bless you abundantly. Meanwhile I will find out about the airline from the the person needed the advise but l don't think that can be a challenge as is having proper document to show he stays there legally.

My other question is do he need to a covid 19 test result from the country is traveling from or it doesnt matter. I am asking because l believe you are more advance in traveling.

Thanks once again
Actually, since international flights were opened, following its closure due to covid 19 pandemic, i havent travelled.

But one thing for sure, that shouldnt bother him. The host country and airline wouldnt impose unbearable conditions on him.

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by Originalsly: 3:51pm On Oct 09, 2020
Many rules have been relaxed due to COVID-19 shut downs.... embassies.... passport offices ... etc were shut down.... airports shut down.... flights cancelled and people stranded. Would people be penalised for overstaying due to the lockdown?.... will expired passports not be valid as a travel document for someone on a return flight? ...... will airlines require fees for those who failed to travel on their appointed dates because there were no flights? Lots of flexing of the rules.... more likely the one regarding expired passport is included.
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by Bossman(m): 5:53pm On Oct 09, 2020
Normally, most airlines will not let you travel with an expired passport. However, due to COVID-19, they may relax those rules. Just explain to them that you could not renew it due to the consulate being closed. If they can verify that, I believe you should be okay.

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by JWTheocracy1: 8:19pm On Oct 09, 2020
In same delicate. Messaged the consulate in Atlanta and the link they sent me to apply for a passport on, isn't generating any information grin

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by keystone123(m): 8:44pm On Oct 09, 2020
Simplyleo:

Actually, since international flights were opened, following its closure due to covid 19 pandemic, i havent travelled.

But one thing for sure, that shouldnt bother him. The host country and airline wouldnt impose unbearable conditions on him.

I see, thanks so much for this. God bless

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by keystone123(m): 8:47pm On Oct 09, 2020
Originalsly:
Many rules have been relaxed due to COVID-19 shut downs.... embassies.... passport offices ... etc were shut down.... airports shut down.... flights cancelled and people stranded. Would people be penalised for overstaying due to the lockdown?.... will expired passports not be valid as a travel document for someone on a return flight? ...... will airlines require fees for those who failed to travel on their appointed dates because there were no flights? Lots of flexing of the rules.... more likely the one regarding expired passport is included.

That is true though. I thought as much as many were encourage to leave to their home country as a result of covid 19. Thanks for your contribution
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by keystone123(m): 8:48pm On Oct 09, 2020
Bossman:
Normally, most airlines will not let you travel with an expired passport. However, due to COVID-19, they may relax those rules. Just explain to them that you could not renew it due to the consulate being closed. If they can verify that, I believe you should be okay.

Well, thank you
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by keystone123(m): 8:50pm On Oct 09, 2020
JWTheocracy1:
In same delicate. Messaged the consulate in Atlanta and the link they sent me to apply for a passport on, isn't generating any information grin

Lol are you serious. That is funny, reply and let them aware. All is well
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by keystone123(m): 8:52pm On Oct 09, 2020
This has not been answer:

My other question is does he need a covid 19 test result from the country is traveling from or it doesn't matter. I am asking because l believe you are more advance in traveling ?
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by Tats(m): 10:17pm On Oct 09, 2020
keystone123:
Good day house, please l will like to ask if it is possible to use expired Nigeria international passport to enter Nigeria from another country as a Nigeria. This expire and cannot be renew now as a result of covid 19 lock down.

What can one expect at the point of entry in Nigeria Airport, being a Nigerian ?
I will like to know so that l can get back to the person in concern.

Your honest contributions will be highly appreciated.
Thank you and God bless you all.

Yes, you can if you have another foreign passport which is valid. Nigeria laws allow it on that condition.
I once used it and British Airways allowed me to board and I arrived Abuja without any issues. They didn't stamp me in as they said they could not stamp an expired passport and also couldn't stamp my British passport as I did not have a Nigerian visa in it. Ensure that you get the passport renewed in Nigeria before you depart else you will have to 'settle'. I actually had a valid Nigerian passport but mistakenly took the old one to the airport but that did not make any difference.

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by Saintsquare(m): 10:55pm On Oct 09, 2020
Depends on your present location, in a situation like this you can use an alien passport to travel.
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by ecomalchemist(m): 7:59am On Oct 10, 2020
Xoly:

Best comment I've read so far in many years.
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by Nobody: 10:12am On Oct 10, 2020
ecomalchemist:

Best comment I've read so far in many years.
cheesy smiley
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by ITKgal: 9:07am On Jan 04, 2021
I am curious to see if anyone has actually done a round trip back to the UK with an expired Nigerian passport during the pandemic.

I have UK valid passport and Nigerian expired this year, HC is closed so I can't renew. Reached someone on emergency number but they said they can't get passport before my flight out. All they can do is emergency travel certificate which I don't need as I have the British passport.

They said I will be fine but we all know in Nigeria everyone says different things.

I found this on Heathrow site: https://www.heathrow.com/travel-guides/country-and-city-guides/nigeria

Clearly I will be allowed to fly to Nigeria.

My concern is will I be allowed to return to the UK? Every time I've travelled to Nigeria, when coming back they ask to see both of my passports at MMA. I don't know if they will flag naija 1 as being expired as I am trying to leave and tell me I can't ���

Due to 7 days quarantine I doubt I can renew my Nigerian passport in Nigeria before my return flight. I don't even know if the passport office in Lagos will be open due to pandemic. I am going to bury my father so the trip can't be postponed and I can't extend the trip because my work and children will be waiting in London �

I feel so stressed, God �
Re: Can A Nigerian Enter Nigeria With Expired Passport by huzaynbolt(m): 9:08am On Mar 14, 2021
Hi @ITKgal, were you able to travel with the expired passport? I'm in a similar conundrum and need valid information to determine my next move.

Thanks

ITKgal:
I am curious to see if anyone has actually done a round trip back to the UK with an expired Nigerian passport during the pandemic.

I have UK valid passport and Nigerian expired this year, HC is closed so I can't renew. Reached someone on emergency number but they said they can't get passport before my flight out. All they can do is emergency travel certificate which I don't need as I have the British passport.

They said I will be fine but we all know in Nigeria everyone says different things.

I found this on Heathrow site: https://www.heathrow.com/travel-guides/country-and-city-guides/nigeria

Clearly I will be allowed to fly to Nigeria.

My concern is will I be allowed to return to the UK? Every time I've travelled to Nigeria, when coming back they ask to see both of my passports at MMA. I don't know if they will flag naija 1 as being expired as I am trying to leave and tell me I can't ���

Due to 7 days quarantine I doubt I can renew my Nigerian passport in Nigeria before my return flight. I don't even know if the passport office in Lagos will be open due to pandemic. I am going to bury my father so the trip can't be postponed and I can't extend the trip because my work and children will be waiting in London �

I feel so stressed, God �

(1) (Reply)

Citizenship by Birth In Turkey? / Become A Nurse In The Uk || Step By Step Breakdown For Nigerian Nurses / Most Dangerous Places In Benin City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.