Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate (8406 Views)

If Buhari Hate Igbos Then Is This PHOTOSHOPPED??? / Junaid Mohammed: My First Wife Is An Igbo Woman, I Don't Hate Igbos / APC Hate Igbos In Lagos - Jimi Agbaje Of The PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by cbrezy(m): 11:20pm On Oct 08, 2020
Nigerian activist, Aisha Yesufu has stirred up a debate on Twitter after sharing her opinion that the Igbo apprenticeship system have contributed to why many people from other tribes resent Igbos.

It is given that the age long Igbo apprenticeship system has produced a lot of multimillionaires of Igbo extraction to the wonder of many from other tribes.

The Igbo apprenticeship system allows a businessman take a young person to learn about his business and eventually get settled (given start-up capital) after an agreed period of time, which usually lasts between 5 to 7 years. During the service period, the younger person (servant) serves the businessman (master) while learning the business.

The Igbos have used the system to build themselves and relatives into renowned business men and women even where apprentices have little, or no formal education.

A Twitter user had said: “The Igbo’s apprenticeship program is the only ‘MBA’ class in the world that teaches the real intricacies of running a business, the practical application of SWOT and PESTEL analysis. And when you graduate, they’ll give you seed capital to start the business. A system that works.”
In replying the tweet, Aisha Yesufu pointed out that “The Igbo apprenticeship is an amazing system and the reason Igbos are great in business.”

However, she went on to say that “Everything has it’s advantage and disadvantage and that same system has also portrayed Igbos as clannish people who only employ their own people and never assimilate”

Her tweets opened up a debate as she went on to state that the apprenticeship system have contributed to Igbos been resented the same way Jews are resented.

She went on; “These are my opinions and thoughts over the years and I might be completely wrong but this is how I see it.

“There is a need to take a deliberate look at the Igbo apprenticeship system & begin to look at ways of inclusion. It can start with 5% inclusion of others. When you always go to your village to bring those that will work for you how do you expect the people where you are to feel?

“Just like the Jews, Igbos are resented & I have always wondered why? Is it because they are successful and can achieve anything from nothing? Is it the resilience? I concluded it is because it seems no matter how long they stay with you or you with them you are never one in biz

“A situation where as a business person you only employ your people via the apprenticeship model & no matter how long you stay in a place you never employ the indigenes there except to load and off load. there will be resentment. More if it is not one off experience but the norm

“The Jews too have that trait. Family businesses. Helping each other grow in business and capacity to gang up(if na one naira na one naira) on business issues are common traits shared by both Igbos and Jews. The others feel like outsiders not allowed to share in the goodness

“Systems are to be looked at and upgraded from time to time. It is also important to look at how things are perceived by others. You don’t have to change but just know this is how this action is seen by others

“In all the riots I witnessed as a child, I always say it is more economical than religion. Host community usually think it is the others that kept them impoverished. They feel those monies would have been theirs if these people weren’t there. People don’t blame their lazy selves.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by cbrezy(m): 11:21pm On Oct 08, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by bigpriik: 11:24pm On Oct 08, 2020
So igbo obsession don reach Twitter too h mmmm...

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Bkayyy: 11:30pm On Oct 08, 2020
Everywhere in the lips of Nigerians is Igbo, Igbo, Igbo, Igbo.
"if they are not talking about you that means you are worthless"
"And if they are not hating, that means you are not doing it right"
Mehn it's not easy to be an Igbo person.
If you are Igbo, celebrate being born an Igbo every Sunday because you defeated more than 7.3 Billion people in this world to be born into this beautiful tribe.
You are a hero/heroine just to be born an Igbo.

118 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Temitopemo6e6(m): 11:33pm On Oct 08, 2020
i love this woman, nigerians are so scared and selfish they can never protest or oppose this bad govt especially the ones that havesmall money in there account they feel so comfortable and dont care what goes on around them. only if nigeria have more citizens like this woman.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by big7: 11:35pm On Oct 08, 2020
How is it a crime if I focus my primary attention to self development and that of my kins men?
You despise me and still want me to carry you along by showing you how I make a living out of what I do be it legal or illegal, no that can't be possible. Igbos have got an ideology they run with "brother is always brother" yes disagreement may ensue between them time to time but that ideology still remains with a average igbo man. This issue of Igbo apprenticeship system is what that region has used to pick up themselves from the ruin the govt made in that region during the massacre and total drawdown of human capital and development in that region during the unholy civil war which they call it.. They have come together unconsciously and have developed themselves in trades which they know how to do best. How else would you want me to bring in a total tribe man who doesn't maybe share in my ideology about life and how I perceive things from home to run a business in apprenticeship successfully? That a daunting task which even other tribes would not condole with if they happen to be in the igbo man shoe.. The igbo only have themselves to look out for themselves and that exactly what they've been doing and I pray they continue doing.. And about coming to a society and dominating it abeg see me see problem ooo. Shey na them tell the host community not to see possibility before he arrived that isn't a point.

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by slivertongue: 11:40pm On Oct 08, 2020
Her opinion.

but isn't she right about the etnnic centric nature of their apprenticeship system

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by gwafaeziokwu: 11:42pm On Oct 08, 2020
Hmm mm

" Where middlemen are an ethnically distinct group -the Jews, the Chinese in SouthEast Asia, the east Indians in Uganda, the Ibos in Nigeria- that ethnic group is hated by the masses who deal with them"

~Dr. Thomas Sowell

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by gwafaeziokwu: 11:52pm On Oct 08, 2020
grin

Biko any tribe that want to do apprenticeship with us should write a long application letter and submit to the nearest 2 by 2 shop closest to him.

It will be deliberated upon in the next Umunna meeting.

Gwazie ndi yard unu! grin

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Bkayyy: 12:00am On Oct 09, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:
grin

Biko any tribe that want to do apprenticeship with us should write a long application letter and submit to the nearest 2 by 2 shop closest to him.

Application letter gịnị?
You can only be Igbo to enjoy the privileges that comes with being Igbo.
Unfortunately the only way to be Igbo is to be born Igbo. Anaghị achata ya n'anya

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by gwafaeziokwu: 12:06am On Oct 09, 2020
Bkayyy:

Application letter gịnị?
You can only be Igbo to enjoy the privileges that comes with being Igbo.
Unfortunately the only way to be Igbo is to be born Igbo. Anaghị achata ya n'anya

Nna m , for peace to reign na grin

Very funny country.

15 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by ayzTIGER: 12:31am On Oct 09, 2020
Last 50 years they were screaming Igbo domination in affairs of the country, Igbos left politics for them and minded their business now their problem is Igbo apprenticeship. A system borne out Igbo personal money and struggle. Before you know it they'd task Igbos to start carrying the whole country along for apprenticeship based on quota system.

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Prosperchuks1344(m): 12:35am On Oct 09, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:
grin

hehehehehe

15 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Prosperchuks1344(m): 12:38am On Oct 09, 2020
If IGBO na product/goods e go dey move market pass anything... hehehehehe

I know one hausa guy at idumota market that served his Igbo master for 7-8yrs, his boss settled him 2yrs ago, during his settlement his boss gave him one of his shops filled with goods and gave him cash too....

we all love him coz he is humble and he always claim that he is Igbo though we all know he is not, he speaks Igbo very well...
after his settlement, his boss allowed him to stay with him for almost 1yr b4 the guy decided to move out to rent his own apartment at orile...

he is doing really well and I believe in the next 5 to 6yrs he will be a rich man just like other Igbos that has gone through the system, that's the power of Igbo Apprenticeship...

If you hate us, we return the hate.....
if you love us, we return the love..

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by eagleu: 12:41am On Oct 09, 2020
big7:
How is it a crime if I focus my primary attention to self development and that of my kins men?
You despise me and still want me to carry you along by showing you how I make a living out of what I do be it legal or illegal, no that can't be possible. Igbos have got an ideology they run with "brother is always brother" yes disagreement may ensue between them time to time but that ideology still remains with a average igbo man. This issue of Igbo apprenticeship system is what that region has used to pick up themselves from the ruin the govt made in that region during the massacre and total drawdown of human capital and development in that region during the unholy civil war which they call it.. They have come together unconsciously and have developed themselves in trades which they know how to do best. How else would you want me to bring in a total tribe man who doesn't maybe share in my ideology about life and how I perceive things from home to run a business in apprenticeship successfully? That a daunting task which even other tribes would not condole with if they happen to be in the igbo man shoe.. The igbo only have themselves to look out for themselves and that exactly what they've been doing and I pray they continue doing.. And about coming to a society and dominating it abeg see me see problem ooo. Shey na them tell the host community not to see possibility before he arrived that isn't a point.

Good point.
You can't force one to belong to a family, clan, or even tribe.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by jlinkd78(m): 12:43am On Oct 09, 2020
Noted. We call it igba boy in local palance

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by saintneo(m): 12:44am On Oct 09, 2020
ayzTIGER:
Last 50 years they were screaming Igbo domination in affairs of the country, Igbos left politics for them and minded their business now their problem is Igbo apprenticeship. A system borne out Igbo personal money and struggle. Before you know it they'd task Igbos to start carrying the whole country along for apprenticeship based on quota system.

Quota system has cracked me up.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Solsix(m): 2:04am On Oct 09, 2020
What stops other tribe from learning the system and even improving on it?? Must it be ignos that will employ them? I think every tribes have billionires and millionires, they can help themselves before thinking of igbos

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by horsepower102: 2:12am On Oct 09, 2020
Yesterday: Igbos are not united they hate each other
Today: Igbos are too United and they help each other so much

61 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by eagleu: 2:13am On Oct 09, 2020
horsepower102:
Today: Igbos are too United and the help each other so much

Yes oh!

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by horsepower102: 2:16am On Oct 09, 2020
horsepower102:
Today: Igbos are too United and they help each other so much

This is something I have come to understand about Nigerians, no matter what Igbos do, they will criticize. It was when I finally realized this that i stopped caring what Nigerians think about Igbos.

If Igbos give a block vote to a candidate, they say ohhh you guys are too tribalistic. You dont know how to build bridges

If Igbos split their votes and vote two candidates, they say ohhh you guys are not united, you dont know how to play politics.

60 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by nairalandankrah: 2:18am On Oct 09, 2020
Wow!! I thought they said Igbo's are not united?

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Ngorbungor(m): 2:22am On Oct 09, 2020
Solsix:
What stops other tribe from learning the system and even improving on it?? Must it be ignos that will employ them? I think every tribes have billionires and millionires, they can help themselves before thinking of igbos

The truth is that no tribe in Nigeria can bend down low for 5-7 years to learn as Igbo does, and again it's a trade secret which we can give out to outsiders, except our fellow Igbo brother's

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Masterclass32: 2:26am On Oct 09, 2020
This woman should first call for Igbo to be fully reintegrated into the Nigeria system. Or doesn't she see the govt-backed marginalisation against the Igbos. The south east is almost without federal presence. One of the reasons our people troop out of the region.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Kingspin(m): 2:28am On Oct 09, 2020
I have never seen this type of hate Nigerians commit against the Igbos before.
The hates is dictatorial from the President, Senate, governor, local government, businessmen, women, student, youths etc. The trend goes on.
Is it a natural hate?

Even Almighty God did not detest the devil that way.
Are the Igbos the monster Nigeria made? Yet they turn around to call them pride people, talkative etc.

The Gospel truth is I hate nobody, I mean nobody, not even the president instead I am under pressure to hate back.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by prince2pac(m): 2:37am On Oct 09, 2020
Ngorbungor:

The truth is that no tribe in Nigeria can bend down low for 5-7 years to learn as Igbo does, and again it's a trade secret which we can give out to outsiders, except our fellow Igbo brother's
Mba none can do that... ha amaghi na ndidi ka-eji aru ya bu oru

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by kingi777: 2:44am On Oct 09, 2020
If that other tribe is taken to learn apprenticeship, after 1 to 2 months; his parents will start complaining that their son's oga has not given them money or food. Before you know it, it would turn to this Igbo man is using our son; Igbo men are greedy; he doesn't even allow our son to visit us. That patience to endure to learn the rudiments of the business for 5 to 7 years is hardly found unlike that Igbo boy that would persevere believing that one day ego better.

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by horsepower102: 2:47am On Oct 09, 2020
kingi777:
If that other tribe is taken to learn apprenticeship, after 1 to 2 months; his parents will start complaining that their son's oga has not given them money or food. Before you know it, it would turn to this Igbo man is using our son; Igbo men are greedy; he doesn't even allow our son to visit us. That patience to endure to learn the rudiments of the business for 5 to 7 years is hardly found unlike that Igbo boy that would persevere believing that one day ego better.

Gbam!!!

You will see multiple nairaland threads of how wicked igbo ogas are. They will speak against the mans businesses and family.

The mods will push it to front page after one or two comments.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by IGBOSON1: 3:20am On Oct 09, 2020
ayzTIGER:

Hehehehehe grin grin grin

11 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by IGBOSON1: 3:35am On Oct 09, 2020
slivertongue:
Her opinion.

but isn't she right about the etnnic centric nature of their apprenticeship system

The apprenticeship scheme by the Igbo emerged and grew organically based on culture and values! It wasn't borne out of a 'one Nigeria' federal gov't decree or law! You may just as well ask why the Fulani don't coopt and train other Nigerians in their herdsman business!

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by AdolfHitlerxXx: 3:38am On Oct 09, 2020
Bkayyy:
Everywhere in the lips of Nigerians is Igbo, Igbo, Igbo, Igbo.
"if they are not talking about you that means you are worthless"
"And if they are not hating, that means you are not doing it right"
Mehn it's not easy to be an Igbo person.
If you are Igbo, celebrate being born an Igbo every Sunday because you defeated more than 7.3 Billion people in this world to be born into this beautiful tribe.
You are a hero/heroine just to be born an Igbo.

So, going by your logic, it's the same way your people are slaves of TINUBU.

You chant his name religiously over and over. cheesy

He must be doing something right then. tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Many Nl Witnessed The Civil War (1967 - 1970)? / Possible Outcome;2015 Presidential Election In Yoruba States;an Analysis / President Bola Ahmed Tinubu With His Son, Yinka Tinubu (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.