Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,025 members, 7,803,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate (8396 Views)

If Buhari Hate Igbos Then Is This PHOTOSHOPPED??? / Junaid Mohammed: My First Wife Is An Igbo Woman, I Don't Hate Igbos / APC Hate Igbos In Lagos - Jimi Agbaje Of The PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by splendour7(m): 8:23am On Oct 09, 2020
Emotionss:
[color=#006600][/color]

Unfortunately most of the new generation ibo youths are beginning to abandon this old but successful tradition.
not At All Millions Of Young Igbos Are Still Engaging In It Today.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by loveth360(f): 8:24am On Oct 09, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:
grin

Biko any tribe that want to do apprenticeship with us should write a long application letter and submit to the nearest 2 by 2 shop closest to him.

It will be deliberated upon in the next Umunna meeting.

Gwazie ndi yard unu! grin
gringrin chai see as you just murder all Igbo haters.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by splendour7(m): 8:31am On Oct 09, 2020
ThatFairGuy1:
Why are moderators deleting my posts

Madam, If you had not been a critic of Buhari and dressed as you do in this picture, all you'll be hearing from children of hate and perdition is insults upon insult.
You're a Terrorist to them(simply because of your dress),
You're an illiterate.
A lesser Human being.
Igbos will NEVER change, it's their trait.
They'll commend this-one of them-(Pictures below) and insult yours
just Read The Thread And Check This Your Comment And Tell Me If You Are Mad Or Not.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by loveth360(f): 8:35am On Oct 09, 2020
Ayed44:
In Yorubaland, we also have our own apprenticeship system. But in our own apprenticeship system, the servant will religiously serve the master for a number of years and thereafter it is the servant that will still pay the master. After serving the master for the agreed number of years, the master will now demand for money and some other items to do what we call "FREEDOM", after which the master will send the servant away empty handed to go and start from the scratch. Most servants may never be able to raise a start-up capital in their lifetime. Isn't this wickedness?

Should we blame the Igbos for this too?
Igbo hate themselvesgrin grin

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by splendour7(m): 8:35am On Oct 09, 2020
Ayed44:
In Yorubaland, we also have our own apprenticeship system. But in our own apprenticeship system, the servant will religiously serve the master for a number of years and thereafter it is the servant that will still pay the master. After serving the master for the agreed number of years, the master will now demand for money and some other items to do what we call "FREEDOM", after which the master will send the servant away empty handed to go and start from the scratch. Most servants may never be able to raise a start-up capital in their lifetime. Isn't this wickedness?

Should we blame the Igbos for this too?
igbos Do That Also,but Mostly On Handwork Apprenticeship,not Business...

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by WoeBetide666: 8:36am On Oct 09, 2020
Igbo people, the defending champions of the victim Olympics
Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by jom28gy(m): 8:41am On Oct 09, 2020
That's true whence they are above every other people

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Csami(m): 8:47am On Oct 09, 2020
Lol! If your people take your money and run at least you know where to begin looking for them. You want an igbo man to let a complete stranger look after his cash and business!? Keep waiting, igbo man dey come

8 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Proeast2: 8:50am On Oct 09, 2020
cbrezy:
Nigerian activist, Aisha Yesufu has stirred up a debate on Twitter after sharing her opinion that the Igbo apprenticeship system have contributed to why many people from other tribes resent Igbos.

It is given that the age long Igbo apprenticeship system has produced a lot of multimillionaires of Igbo extraction to the wonder of many from other tribes.

The Igbo apprenticeship system allows a businessman take a young person to learn about his business and eventually get settled (given start-up capital) after an agreed period of time, which usually lasts between 5 to 7 years. During the service period, the younger person (servant) serves the businessman (master) while learning the business.

The Igbos have used the system to build themselves and relatives into renowned business men and women even where apprentices have little, or no formal education.

A Twitter user had said: “The Igbo’s apprenticeship program is the only ‘MBA’ class in the world that teaches the real intricacies of running a business, the practical application of SWOT and PESTEL analysis. And when you graduate, they’ll give you seed capital to start the business. A system that works.”
In replying the tweet, Aisha Yesufu pointed out that “The Igbo apprenticeship is an amazing system and the reason Igbos are great in business.”

However, she went on to say that “Everything has it’s advantage and disadvantage and that same system has also portrayed Igbos as clannish people who only employ their own people and never assimilate”

Her tweets opened up a debate as she went on to state that the apprenticeship system have contributed to Igbos been resented the same way Jews are resented.

She went on; “These are my opinions and thoughts over the years and I might be completely wrong but this is how I see it.

“There is a need to take a deliberate look at the Igbo apprenticeship system & begin to look at ways of inclusion. It can start with 5% inclusion of others. When you always go to your village to bring those that will work for you how do you expect the people where you are to feel?

“Just like the Jews, Igbos are resented & I have always wondered why? Is it because they are successful and can achieve anything from nothing? Is it the resilience? I concluded it is because it seems no matter how long they stay with you or you with them you are never one in biz

“A situation where as a business person you only employ your people via the apprenticeship model & no matter how long you stay in a place you never employ the indigenes there except to load and off load. there will be resentment. More if it is not one off experience but the norm

“The Jews too have that trait. Family businesses. Helping each other grow in business and capacity to gang up(if na one naira na one naira) on business issues are common traits shared by both Igbos and Jews. The others feel like outsiders not allowed to share in the goodness

“Systems are to be looked at and upgraded from time to time. It is also important to look at how things are perceived by others. You don’t have to change but just know this is how this action is seen by others

“In all the riots I witnessed as a child, I always say it is more economical than religion. Host community usually think it is the others that kept them impoverished. They feel those monies would have been theirs if these people weren’t there. People don’t blame their lazy selves.

The Igbo apprenticeship system is our best kept secret. It is one of the reasons why we were able to bounce back just few years after a terrible war that wiped out our economy.
The system is imbued in our culture and it won't change. It is the best way to retain your economy within and avoid capital flight. Most apprenticeship end up becoming greater than their former bosses and the generational wealth continues to grow. Go to the North or SW, you will see Lebanese, Syrians, Indians, Philippines or Chinese running even basic things like bakery, shops, small hotels or restaurants & they will employ a few locals to do their dirty work while paying them peanuts, and their entire profits repatriated to their home countries. However, you can't find such economic sabotage in the East. These Asians realized that they can't compete with the Igbos and thus decided to avoid our cities.

This woman is right in her assertions, and just like the Jews, Igbos learnt early enough how to rally within themselves to form a united front against hordes of enemies who wouldn't mind to decimate them if given the opportunity.

The beauty of it all is that we have used it to effectively control certain sectors of the economy and we are gradually taking over from the Asians, even outside our own region.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Emotionss: 8:51am On Oct 09, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
splendour7:

I pray soo.
Because this days everybody wants to be rich sooner than later. Patience is now a luxury many of youths can't afford.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 09, 2020
ayzTIGER:
Last 50 years they were screaming Igbo domination in affairs of the country, Igbos left politics for them and minded their business now their problem is Igbo apprenticeship. A system borne out Igbo personal money and struggle. Before you know it they'd task Igbos to start carrying the whole country along for apprenticeship based on quota system.
I just tire ooooo my Brother.
IGBOS have left Politics and Military 4dem.
IGBOS no dey anywhere again oooo, not even in Government structure nor the Military, yet make dem allow IGBOS some peace, dem no still green...
Now dem want follow IGBOS enter market too.. grin grin

IGBOS don really suffer for NAIJA.. cry cry cry cry

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by LadyExcellency: 9:11am On Oct 09, 2020
cbrezy:
Nigerian activist, Aisha Yesufu has stirred up a debate on Twitter after sharing her opinion that the Igbo apprenticeship system have contributed to why many people from other tribes resent Igbos.

It is given that the age long Igbo apprenticeship system has produced a lot of multimillionaires of Igbo extraction to the wonder of many from other tribes.

The Igbo apprenticeship system allows a businessman take a young person to learn about his business and eventually get settled (given start-up capital) after an agreed period of time, which usually lasts between 5 to 7 years. During the service period, the younger person (servant) serves the businessman (master) while learning the business.

The Igbos have used the system to build themselves and relatives into renowned business men and women even where apprentices have little, or no formal education.

A Twitter user had said: “The Igbo’s apprenticeship program is the only ‘MBA’ class in the world that teaches the real intricacies of running a business, the practical application of SWOT and PESTEL analysis. And when you graduate, they’ll give you seed capital to start the business. A system that works.”
In replying the tweet, Aisha Yesufu pointed out that “The Igbo apprenticeship is an amazing system and the reason Igbos are great in business.”

However, she went on to say that “Everything has it’s advantage and disadvantage and that same system has also portrayed Igbos as clannish people who only employ their own people and never assimilate”

Her tweets opened up a debate as she went on to state that the apprenticeship system have contributed to Igbos been resented the same way Jews are resented.

She went on; “These are my opinions and thoughts over the years and I might be completely wrong but this is how I see it.

“There is a need to take a deliberate look at the Igbo apprenticeship system & begin to look at ways of inclusion. It can start with 5% inclusion of others. When you always go to your village to bring those that will work for you how do you expect the people where you are to feel?

“Just like the Jews, Igbos are resented & I have always wondered why? Is it because they are successful and can achieve anything from nothing? Is it the resilience? I concluded it is because it seems no matter how long they stay with you or you with them you are never one in biz

“A situation where as a business person you only employ your people via the apprenticeship model & no matter how long you stay in a place you never employ the indigenes there except to load and off load. there will be resentment. More if it is not one off experience but the norm

“The Jews too have that trait. Family businesses. Helping each other grow in business and capacity to gang up(if na one naira na one naira) on business issues are common traits shared by both Igbos and Jews. The others feel like outsiders not allowed to share in the goodness

“Systems are to be looked at and upgraded from time to time. It is also important to look at how things are perceived by others. You don’t have to change but just know this is how this action is seen by others

“In all the riots I witnessed as a child, I always say it is more economical than religion. Host community usually think it is the others that kept them impoverished. They feel those monies would have been theirs if these people weren’t there. People don’t blame their lazy selves.

That's why it baffles me when people of other ethnicity claim that Igbo people hate each others progress.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by splendour7(m): 9:18am On Oct 09, 2020
Emotionss:
[color=#006600][/color]

I pray soo.
Because this days everybody wants to be rich sooner than later. Patience is now a luxury many of youths can't afford.
no Cause For Alarm,where I Stay,there Are Thousands Of Apprentice Doing Parfectly Fine....And Many Are Joining The Systerm On Daily Basis.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Okoroawusa: 9:27am On Oct 09, 2020
What nonsense!!

Na my fellow igbos dey give people like Aisha Yesufu, Reno n FFK mind to dey insult our tribe...

You hail dem as activists, heroes of democracy and so on when they abuse other tribes n government... You think they won't look down on you someday?

For those that are ignorant, Aisha Yesufu is not Hausa neither is she from the North. She is an Edo woman. From the South like most of us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Bodexman(m): 9:28am On Oct 09, 2020
bigpriik:
So igbo obsession don reach Twitter too h mmmm...

Just like Tinubu too o
Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Bodexman(m): 9:30am On Oct 09, 2020
Bkayyy:
Everywhere in the lips of Nigerians is Igbo, Igbo, Igbo, Igbo.
"if they are not talking about you that means you are worthless"
"And if they are not hating, that means you are not doing it right"
Mehn it's not easy to be an Igbo person.
If you are Igbo, celebrate being born an Igbo every Sunday because you defeated more than 7.3 Billion people in this world to be born into this beautiful tribe.
You are a hero/heroine just to be born an Igbo.

Just like you people can't stop talking about Tinubu even more than your leaders.

Does that mean Tinubu is greater than all your leaders put together?

Even if your dreams you still mentioned his name. Nawa!
Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 09, 2020
ayzTIGER:
Last 50 years they were screaming Igbo domination in affairs of the country, Igbos left politics for them and minded their business now their problem is Igbo apprenticeship. A system borne out Igbo personal money and struggle. Before you know it they'd task Igbos to start carrying the whole country along for apprenticeship based on quota system.

When they have openly refused Igbos to run the economy.

And they keep complaining that the Nigerian economy is finished.

Okay, let's look back, 1999 to 2007. Okonjo Iweala was Finance Minister, Prof Chukwuma Soludo was CBN Governor. Nigeria maintained steady 6% growth rate for 8 years running.

The height of the economic growth was in 2003/2004 with 34% annual growth rate.

Olusegun Obasanjo is still the wisest Yoruba man alive.

Atiku is the wisest Hausa man. These two know how to get anything done.

Do we have olodos in power now ?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Prosperchuks1344(m): 9:51am On Oct 09, 2020
kingi777:
If that other tribe is taken to learn apprenticeship, after 1 to 2 months; his parents will start complaining that their son's oga has not given them money or food. Before you know it, it would turn to this Igbo man is using our son; Igbo men are greedy; he doesn't even allow our son to visit us. That patience to endure to learn the rudiments of the business for 5 to 7 years is hardly found unlike that Igbo boy that would persevere believing that one day ego better.

or if their child gets sick, they will say that Igbo man wants to use their son for ritual... hehehehehe

make everybody dey their lane biko...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 09, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:
grin

Biko any tribe that want to do apprenticeship with us should write a long application letter and submit to the nearest 2 by 2 shop closest to him.

cheesy grin grin grin

Yesoohhh

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 09, 2020
ayzTIGER:

Omo e no dey Taya them....

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Ngorbungor(m): 9:58am On Oct 09, 2020
Prosperchuks1344:

or if their child gets sick, they will say that Igbo man wants to use their son for ritual... hehehehehe

make everybody dey their lane biko...

hahahahah, your head dey there.

I no fit laugh I beg,
People that are stereotyping us as money ritual people. to me it's dead on arrival, make everybody face there lane

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 09, 2020
Overgrownbaby:
In my next life Chukwu I want to be onye Igbo .. the Igbo apprenticeship is based on patience and humility , if you serve your master well you learn a lot from him , if e easy other tribes will run it but it’s not , everywhere you see an Igbo man he is calculating or making moves to change his condition or upgrade , when other tribes are busy OWAMBE-ING, umuigbo are making moves .. 1+1= 2 thousand naira and 2+2=4 million naira , no be so umunnem?

Eziokwu

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Karemarealty288(m): 10:19am On Oct 09, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:
grin

For goodness sake every tribe in Nigeria has their apprenticeship system.....Notable. Alamajiri apprenticeship system of the North and Agbero bustop toll collecting system of the south west.....so why the hate on Igbo!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 09, 2020
Racoon:
We dont shout it but they refused to acknowledge it that the average Igbo man is highly enterprising though we agree some in the worst crimes one can ever think about

Who the cap fit........
Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 09, 2020
Newbreed2018:
Umu Chukwu Goziri Agozi.

IGBO AMAKA!

Biko, nyetu nu Ndi ofe mmanu ofe oha anyi ka fa ratu.
Ndi akpiri ogologo!

See them begging for igbo oha soup at the detriment of their liquid and hydraulic soup grin

cheesy cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 09, 2020
mrsage:
Interesting.

I respect the Igbo apprenticeship system. I'm not Igbo. However I love and respect the system.

It's a system that works...

Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 09, 2020
splendour7:

If you go to ariaria you'll still see them

1 Like

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by addictiv(m): 10:29am On Oct 09, 2020
The Apprenticeship system is well known and open to everyone.. Nobody is stopping other tribes from practicing it and growing their indigenous economy

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 09, 2020
EVILFOREST:

I just tire ooooo my Brother.
IGBOS have left Politics and Military 4dem.
IGBOS no dey anywhere again oooo, not even in Government structure nor the Military, yet make dem allow IGBOS some peace, dem no still green...
Now dem want follow IGBOS enter market too.. grin grin

IGBOS don really suffer for NAIJA.. cry cry cry cry

grin cheesy wink

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by NaMe4: 10:36am On Oct 09, 2020
gwafaeziokwu:
grin

Good offer. At least it starts from somewhere.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by ariesbull: 10:39am On Oct 09, 2020
Bkayyy:
Everywhere in the lips of Nigerians is Igbo, Igbo, Igbo, Igbo.
"if they are not talking about you that means you are worthless"
"And if they are not hating, that means you are not doing it right"
Mehn it's not easy to be an Igbo person.
If you are Igbo, celebrate being born an Igbo every Sunday because you defeated more than 7.3 Billion people in this world to be born into this beautiful tribe.
You are a hero/heroine just to be born an Igbo.

At the end of the day.... Igbo amaka

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Apprenticeship System Makes People Hate Igbos – Aisha Yesufu Sparks Debate by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 09, 2020
People are talking about the apprenticeship system like it is golden forgetting that there are many apprentice who were never paid a dime after they graduated.

For aisha, people like her always like inclusiveness, as if in the north they do similar inclusiveness.

To be realistic, igbo people employ each other even if they are building a house, all the contractors will be igbo.

This where yoruba people and their liberal mind failed them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How The Igbos Came Out Of The War Of Genocide To Be The Richest Tribe In Nigeria / Buhari Unites APC Governors Ahead Of National Convention / Sanusi, El-rufai And Ribadu Compared!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.