Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,825 members, 7,802,630 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn (46560 Views)

2 Arrested In Ogun For Scamming Nigerians With Dollar-Washing Fraud / Fake Zlatan Ibile Scamming Nigerians On Twitter / Sdj Teeman caught with used sanitary pads, Days after buying a new car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by Hahjascho(m): 12:03pm On Oct 09, 2020
joa2013:
Anytime you wanna buy anything from anybody, insist on transferring the money to his/her account. If he/she begin to talk about having issues with his/her account, ATM card expire and all those stupid talks, run. In 2019, I wanted to help a friend buy a Nigerian used 2005 Toyota corolla for N1.1milion from a woman in Lagos. I asked him to give me all his original documents, custom papers, receipt of purchase, plate number allocation receipt, registration documents etc. The woman was just looking at me like where did this one come from. I went to licencing office in Ikeja to verify all the documents and they were all genuine but the car was registered to a lady who this woman claimed is her sister. I spoke with the lady on phone, she agreed to the sales, I then insisted on transferring the money to the seller's bank account. She said she took loan with the account and the money will not come out if l transfer to it. I told her I won't pay cash and that I won't transfer to the account of the other lady I didn't see in person. She had to bring her husband who show me all his ID card and those stuff, I paid the money into the man's account, did receipt, change of ownership and police report. It cost me like additional 15k for all these but O didn't mind. So when I was driving the car away, they started laughing calling me outdated, old school etc, who cares? My friend is still driving the car around with peace of mind.
Na them Sabi...to avoid stories that touch.
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by tonididdy(m): 12:06pm On Oct 09, 2020
ILoveDemMANNA:

Stop blaming the police for the dumbness of citizens.
Accept your Bleep ups and stop transferring blames to the police everytime. Use ur sense for once
Oga take am easy grin... Your papa na police ni.
(Why that guy yarn pain you like this?)
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by tonididdy(m): 12:09pm On Oct 09, 2020
I don't fancy buying a used iPhone.... It's always problematic because of its tracking abilities
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by Ournolly: 12:11pm On Oct 09, 2020
I have learnt a lot from this.
Thanks a lot op.

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by JJmubby: 12:16pm On Oct 09, 2020
[quote author=Arry110 post=94759794][/quote]

True
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by mmsen: 12:25pm On Oct 09, 2020
smallsmall:

Shut your dirty mouth, Clown that have never left the shores of Nigeria, talking about what happens abroad.
You just make stupid generalisations.
I have used a Nokia 6600 in those days, that l bought with my money in one of the European countries and then many yars later when l bought the Nokai N6 Slide Phone, l sold the Nokia 6600 in Nigeria.
A lot of people buy and use Phones, Upgrade and sell the Old one, what is the big deal in that?

The truth always makes people like you angry. I wonder why....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5957717/nigeria-black-market-fuels-britain-moped-theft/amp/

Sun investigators discovered “UK used” iPhones being sold for £560 in stores and markets in Nigeria’s largest city Lagos. Business is booming for the Nigerian racketeers because of soaring demand from the oil-rich middle classes in a country where hi-tech gadgets are relatively scarce.

And because Nigeria has not signed up to a global deal blacklisting stolen phones, British moped gangs are able to keep the crime bosses supplied by exporting tens of thousands of snatched mobiles.
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 09, 2020
flyingpig:
Our nairaland USA/UK iPhone dealers. What sayeth thou?
To buy all those phones self dey fear me embarassed
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by Meedot2(m): 12:38pm On Oct 09, 2020
Abeg is buying of a refurbished iPhone from Jumia safe??
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by Originalsly: 12:41pm On Oct 09, 2020
Why buy anything from someone you do not know or can locate... receipt or no receipt? Cheapness is what blinds people of the dangers. Most of them are aware that the product..... whether it be phone... laptop... okada or car most likely has been stolen.... and with this in mind aggressively beat down the price without thinking about consequences. "So smart me bought an iphone 10 for N60K" is what they be bragging until arrested/extorted by Police.
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by Buzx: 12:53pm On Oct 09, 2020
AFONJACOW:
and how did she or they managed to removed the iCloud and couldn't or remember to turn off , find my phone, turning off find my phone manually and changing the iCloud account and password make the phone untraceable ... They are probably telling story by moonlight to Itel, Tecno and infinix users

Forgot iCloud or find my phone. Any device with IMEI is traceable, brother. Even a spectranet mifi can be traced if the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is gotten. The moment you insert your sim in a device with IMEI (iPhone or Nokia touch) it searches for network and connects to a nearby cell phone tower. This makes it easy for it to be tracked down through what they call triangulation. That's what police use in tracking stolen phones.

2 Likes

Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by seanwilliam(m): 1:00pm On Oct 09, 2020
abbeyie007:
Don't buy used phone from someone u don't know.
what of buying from a reputable outlet( a popular and certify company selling UK phone?)
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by tonyson010(m): 1:03pm On Oct 09, 2020
abbeyie007:
Don't buy used phone from someone u don't know.

In addition, clear evidence of purchase , should be provided.

Some people just fall into that mess because they want to strike sharp.
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by maasoap(m): 1:03pm On Oct 09, 2020
ILoveDemMANNA:

Stop blaming the police for the dumbness of citizens.
Accept your Bleep ups and stop transferring blames to the police everytime. Use ur sense for once

Because the police are blameless, right? Why should our police behave like criminals? It's a sign of disfunctional society and prerequisite for anarchy.
What you don't understand is that even if the first twenty people they approach don't fall for the trick, some people who don't know better will eventually fall for it. Do police in functional societies go to that extent to implicate the vulnerable citizens? You're getting too comfortable with the wrongs and ills of our society, the borderline is becoming blurry for you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by seanwilliam(m): 1:03pm On Oct 09, 2020
joyandfaith:

I understand you. in some cases, stolen phones were sold and buyers were careless to collect receipts for their purchases. if receipts are provided and people are involved, police will let you go.
not in all cases bro.. hand to hand phone dey out person for trouble with or without receipt bro. No argue.. buying a new phone is the best but I dont about buying UK phone from reputable phone outlets
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by tonyson010(m): 1:07pm On Oct 09, 2020
sapientia:

Might interest you to know that majority of stolen phone cases never happen.

They just victimize people with second hand phones and arrest a chain of people, but when any of the case bursts, its always discovered that there was no report of any stolen phone anywhere.

On the contrary, many cases of stolen phones are unreported to the police
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by Dbarrzx: 1:07pm On Oct 09, 2020
You just got registered an hour ago...pls don't pollute already polluted environment
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by seanwilliam(m): 1:08pm On Oct 09, 2020
igahdavid:
This is the problem of buying used products in Nigeria. Only buy used products from a shop / market and make sure you are issued a receipt.
are you very sure of this? U sure say gbege no fit happen if person buy UK phone from a shop with receipt? I'm asking for someone sha
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by seanwilliam(m): 1:11pm On Oct 09, 2020
Sunmolar:
Pls read also.

# copied
I was picked up by SARS at EGBEDA Lagos and was driven
down to Dugbe SARS .........................
One of olved and extort
them claiming it was robbed.
This country is bled mehn!
# EndSARS
# EndSARS
- Wole Adebayo
God bless, I was looking for this post
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by sapientia(m): 1:22pm On Oct 09, 2020
tonyson010:

On the contrary, many cases of stolen phones are unreported to the police

There are many unreported crimes.

So I don't see how stating part of a huge fact invalidate my view.
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by Sunmolar(m): 1:28pm On Oct 09, 2020
seanwilliam:
God bless, I was looking for this post

Amen
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by Sunmolar(m): 1:31pm On Oct 09, 2020
FX:
I read the whole story. Things are happening oo

We shall not experience bad things.
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by iokpebholo: 1:40pm On Oct 09, 2020
sapientia:

Once a stolen phone is involved, even if you present any of those 2, Nigerian police will still arrest you, its a business for them

Might interest you to know that majority of stolen phone cases never happen.

They just victimize people with second hand phones and arrest a chain of people, but when any of the case bursts, its always discovered that there was no report of any stolen phone anywhere.

Get a criminal code dude,recieving of stolen property is a crime.Thank u
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by iokpebholo: 1:42pm On Oct 09, 2020
seanwilliam:
are you very sure of this? U sure say gbege no fit happen if person buy UK phone from a shop with receipt? I'm asking for someone sha
No sir.Make sure u buy it from a known shop and it has reciept sir
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by iokpebholo: 1:44pm On Oct 09, 2020
Meedot2:
Abeg is buying of a refurbished iPhone from Jumia safe??
yes cos it has reciept and Jumia is reputable sir

1 Like

Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by Meedot2(m): 1:46pm On Oct 09, 2020
iokpebholo:
yes cos it has reciept and Jumia is reputable sir

thanks for the clarification bro.
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by iokpebholo: 2:06pm On Oct 09, 2020
GolDRoger:

don't be so sure, a guy here have shared his experience On it too.
He provided receipt and the seller yet still got arrested and spend more than 1week in d cell, after everything, there was no complainant of a stolen phone, na those police the set am up
Because most of d ppl complaining are so dumb that dey don't want to improve themselves.When u want to get a used phone,ensure its from a known dealer(shop),ensure a reciept (not invoice)is clearly issued for the phone.When such phones are tracked to u in case of stolen phone or kidnapping tracking tender such receipt as evidence.Insist they take u to the station if it's along d road u were caught(don't ever offer bribe or try settle issues on d road).Pls as u get to the station,don't be in a hurry when dealing with issue like that.Request to see a senior officer while at d station and try explain ur ordeal to him.Most importantly try and get a lawyer and insist on ur rights.If u not released afterwards,insist the case be charged to court.Lets try and know our rights but ensure ur hands are actually clean sha
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by obyrich(m): 2:15pm On Oct 09, 2020
This is why I banned the use of second hand phones in my house!. Even if I knew the original user.
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by nedekid: 2:24pm On Oct 09, 2020
joyandfaith:

only do business with reputable people. if you are in doubt, do money transfer to trace the seller and let the seller do affidavit for change of ownership. you can snap the picture of seller with the item. if the seller is a criminal, he will not sell the item and 'japa'. police capitalize on ignorance of people.
You are very correct. I agree with you. But in this case, despite having receipt etc, they hold on to people. This is because there is no stolen item, rather they are the very people that will sell the phone and let it exchange hands. After few months they then track the phone and start arrests.
Its all a scam.
Read that Nairalanders story I attached and note when the CP asked for the complainant, there was non.
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by emmyN(m): 2:38pm On Oct 09, 2020
Though these things do happen, I'm sure this particular story is fake. What I don't understand is why the OP keeps interchanging "him" and "her" in one sentence while referring to the same person angry.
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by joyandfaith: 2:45pm On Oct 09, 2020
nedekid:

You are very correct. I agree with you. But in this case, despite having receipt etc, they hold on to people. This is because there is no stolen item, rather they are the very people that will sell the phone and let it exchange hands. After few months they then track the phone and start arrests.
Its all a scam.
Read that Nairalanders story I attached and note when the CP asked for the complainant, there was non.

In your link, usman who sold the phone to the op could not produce initial receipt. Usman could have bought a stolen phone and issued receipt to the op. As general rule, try to view used phone as used car. If you are buying a used car, wouldn't u verify the owner?
Anyway, I do not buy used phone and I even buy new phone from reputable outlet.
Re: How Nigerians Are Scamming Nigerians With Used Luxury Phones - Read And Learn by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 09, 2020
the lord is our strength... buying of used phone from someone is really scary.
I don't even like it at all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kenyan Oldest Prisoner Finally Released From Jail At Age 87 (Photos) / Woman Rescued From Ritualists In Lagos Narrates How God Delivered Her / Missing Ogun Poly Student Found Dead In Shrine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.