Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers (25404 Views)

Wike Hits Atiku’s Campaigners Linking Him To Violence In Rivers / EndSARS: We Can’t Guarantee Security During Yuletide – Law Enforcement Officers / EndSARS: Obasanjo Reacts To Violence Against Protesters, Appeals For Calm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by Sixfit: 11:26am On Oct 09, 2020
It is quite unfortunate how something that's supposed to be peaceful turned into violence but the situation is that bad that one no loner feel any shred of feelings or condolence for the police.
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by Finnese001: 11:26am On Oct 09, 2020
grin
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by Hardeysolution(m): 11:27am On Oct 09, 2020
Sincerely, crime can't wipe out crimes. Imagine a society without law enforcers. While we have the unprofessional SARS members, should we because of that ask that crimes go on?

SARS has done bad. Yes, but if there are armed robbers on your neighborhood, you call the protesters? We end up saying, we don't have Police when we are asking for their end. We can reform SARS, not end SARS. Let's give it a thorough thought.

1 Like

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by Johnchrix(m): 11:27am On Oct 09, 2020
#Endsars
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by dynicks(m): 11:27am On Oct 09, 2020
Why do I have the feeling that the reason buhari hasn't reacted or stepped into this matter is cus no cow has been killed...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by Mtola8: 11:29am On Oct 09, 2020
OkhaiAsein:
We are still on the sarz matters... If u not a criminal I wondered why u will even concern u sef with end sarz.. just speaking my mind
At cheaper price DM for your logo and flyer design

For someone who's into business, this is unwise.

2 Likes

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 09, 2020
I hope it is innocent Nigerians that stole Ak47s after killing men of the force who represent the Federal Government of Nigeria.

In a country where a pedestrian risks getting beaten and burnt to death after a mentally challenged community member shouts "OLE", the youth are protesting against profiling by men of the police force.

I have maintained my position as someone who did courses in criminology and Criminal psychology during my undergraduate days that those who push this narrative of #endsars are mostly criminals with sinister motives.

Those who support them do not understand the role of SARS in making the Southern States safe.

The forerunners know the implication.

They can run their fraudulent schemes without resistance, engage in their cultism parades in broad daylight , rebuild the local drug trade routes and strengthen the southern fire arms proliferation industry.

It's stupid to say SARS should not check cyber crimes if you would not also agree that only anti terrorism units should guard against terrorist attacks. If you say SARS should not check fraud then do not blame the entire police force if they do not check the activities of herdsmen since there is a special unit responsible for every crime.

2 Likes

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 09, 2020
Modes of operation of security agents in every country are different and based on profiling even in America. Even Black cops are more likely to be more careful while arresting a black thug.

Policing in Mexico is different from policing in Sweden or Switzerland. In Mexico, when you are covered with tattoos, their police literally strips you down to even your underwear to ensure that you are not peddling drugs. The Mexican police understands through experience what the drug cartels are capable of and how they appear. Someone in Australia or Europe would consider that an abuse of human rights.

The Nigerian police force uses the method that best suits Nigeria. If a foreigner from Western Europe arrives Nigeria , the individual would be surprise that Ak-47 rifles are used even in the absence of combat because police in their countries make use of pistols. Governors in such countries most times move with less than 5 security details.

Are the Nigerian police force wrong to use Ak-47s in broad daylight? Absolutely no. Even terrorist attacks in the UK are perpetuated with knives which shows the effective control of even civilian grade guns in that country. The Nigerian system demands that Law enforcement officials are always ready for combat at least with semi automatic rifles because an average Nigerian armed criminal moves with a superior weapon and there would not be enough time for reinforcement due to the state of bad roads , air response and other factors.

If the police force is reformed those celebrities who protested yesterday who are okay with the many policemen at their gates beating fans to pulp when they trespass would not have any police men attached to them because it is not so in the countries they visit. So they don't want to talk about reformation, they just want to stop a part of a larger whole because of their friends.

1 Like

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by 6digitscomrade: 11:30am On Oct 09, 2020
Nemere2020:
ENDSARS PROTESTERS GO BERSERK - MURDER 1 POLICEMAN, INJURE ANOTHER IN DELTA, STEAL AK47 RIFLE WITH 25 ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION
· ​ IGP calls for an end to violence against Law Enforcement Officers

The Inspector General of Police, IGP M.A Adamu, NPM, mni has condemned the unprovoked and violent attack on policemen and damage to police operational vehicles and other assets by ENDSARS protesters in Ughelli, Delta State, on Thursday, 8th October, 2020.

The incident which resulted in the unfortunate death of one Police officer, Corporal Etaga Stanley attached to ‘A’ Division, Ughelli, Delta State who was attacked and brutally murdered by the protesters also left another, Sergeant Patrick Okuone with serious body injury sustained from gunshot by the protesters. The protesters also carted away one (1) service AK47 rifle with breach no 56-2609008 and 25 rounds of live ammunition that was with the deceased at the time of the incident.

The IGP, who described the incident as cruel and unwarranted, has warned that the Force will no longer tolerate any attack on its personnel or any member of the law enforcement community by any individual or group protesting under any guise.

The IGP notes that protest by citizens remain a legitimate means for airing their concerns and views. It must however be carried out with all sense of responsibility and within the confines of the law.

The IGP, while condoling the family and friends of the late Corporal Etaga Stanley who paid the supreme price in the service of our dear nation, equally commended the officers of the Delta State Police Command for exercising restraint in the face of the immoral and unjustified provocation

Meanwhile, the IGP has directed the Commissioner of Police, Delta State to carry out a discrete investigation into the unfortunate incident, root-out the perpetrators and bring the killer protesters to book.

https://twitter.com/PoliceNG/status/1314471323670843392?s=19
see diz aboki ooo.. unprovoked attack? Very swift and professional of u aboki..they even had to introduce u with all ur unmerited titles.. when ur minions went beserk like like vikings on the street spilling and shedding blood who provoked them or nice looking youths are provocative? U lost ur voice and cognitive functions then?

Shame shame!!! Continue ur romantic rendezvous with the evil u are nurturing upon reaching maturity let me see how u dumbfuckssss are gonna tame it..
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by olorunyomi13773: 11:30am On Oct 09, 2020
Who is more at probability? Ur Chief who is with knife or a teenagers woman with just his cellphone and gta
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by tnerro1(m): 11:31am On Oct 09, 2020
The police need to set up a sars training school just like the swat units in America have their training schools,if you don’t pass the training school, you can’t be among the elite SARS team. And also individual officers should be held responsible for their actions

1 Like

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by ume1000: 11:32am On Oct 09, 2020
Josnac:
wink
Why do these people actually take Nigerians to be fools??
Someone came for a peaceful protest, your men rile them up..and when the atmosphere becomes tensed they shoot and kill/wound unarmed citizens who are demanding accountability and respect to their right to life.

Abeg, I need someone here to go and tell this man he's not making any sense..I go pay your t-fare.
I live in ughelli

The protester attacked the policeman not the other way round

1 Like

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by LordGbAsGbOs: 11:33am On Oct 09, 2020
And his also called the celebrities that came out to protest clout chasers can you imagine undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by EVons(m): 11:34am On Oct 09, 2020
That's good
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by PrinceMajestic: 11:35am On Oct 09, 2020
Its so disheartening some insane people have caused a problem with the police and Ughelli. Should IGP kill himself to end SARS? has he not tried with the recent directive he gave to curb the SARS menace and even sending supervisory teams to monitor the enforcement? Why attacking police unprovoked thereby branding this EndSARS protest as thieves vs Police fight? May justice be done. RIP corporal

1 Like

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by Logon59: 11:35am On Oct 09, 2020
Things are getting interesting.

If you're planning an upcoming building project and don't have a decent plan yet or you have one but not satisfied with it's standard, contact me to design a global standard plan for you at decent costs. Chat or call 0816 124 7898 or visit any of the links in the row below to see more.
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by Prechgold1180(m): 11:35am On Oct 09, 2020
OkhaiAsein:
We are still on the sarz matters... If u not a criminal I wondered why u will even concern u sef with end sarz.. just speaking my mind
thunder go strike anybody wey dm dis guy for logo design
So NPFL player wey sarz kill dat time nah criminal
I pray u face dem someday

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by 6digitscomrade: 11:35am On Oct 09, 2020
Mtola8:

wisdom isn’t something for everyone.. for him to write such u can easily evaluate his personality and state of his affairs as a person.. I’m sure he’s one of those haggard looking urchins with strange skin shade like Malian leathers or from Tuareg desert so even sars can never stop him or harass him ..

Abi u go see Juliet Ibrahim for bed go sleep instead with efulefu? Dat nigga is an efulefu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by 6digitscomrade: 11:36am On Oct 09, 2020
Prechgold1180:
thunder go strike anybody wey dm dis guy for logo design
So NPFL player wey sarz kill dat time nah criminal
I pray u face dem someday
Amen
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by chatinent: 11:38am On Oct 09, 2020
A very senseless comment.
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by ehinmowo: 11:38am On Oct 09, 2020
As much as I don't condole Killing police, what has IGP done since police gas being killing people? It's only fair that people get paid in kind.
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by Roozzaay(m): 11:40am On Oct 09, 2020
Mtola8:

So UNWISE

1 Like

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by 6digitscomrade: 11:40am On Oct 09, 2020
PrinceMajestic:
Its so disheartening some insane people have caused a problem with the police and Ughelli. Should IGP kill himself to end SARS? has he not tried with the recent directive he gave to curb the SARS menace and even sending supervisory teams to monitor the enforcement? Why attacking police unprovoked thereby branding this EndSARS protest as thieves vs Police fight? May justice be done. RIP corporal
ahahahaa mumu full diz Nigeria sha!!!! Should the IG kill himself? Maybe yes maybe No but resignation would be preferable since his subordinates are uncontrollable for him. He anyway got diz position prematurely and in a manner shrouded with secrecy, obscurity and controversies perhaps he wasn’t prepared he was just needed for the usual political gimmicks..

1 Like

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by hisgrace090: 11:41am On Oct 09, 2020
IGp should have spoken out against SARS earlier.
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by globalresource: 11:43am On Oct 09, 2020
What of violence against nigerians
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by wedeads: 11:43am On Oct 09, 2020
ok
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by Princedapace(m): 11:44am On Oct 09, 2020
OkhaiAsein:

hahahahaahahahahahaha!

The last time I visited Delta state, Abraka precisely, the rate of internet fraud in that community is alarming! grin
Sapele nkor? If u see 10 young guys, at least 6 dey into full time or part time fraud grin
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by Originalsly: 11:47am On Oct 09, 2020
Hmmm...... Corporal killed.... Sergeant seriously injured.... higher ranks singled out for attack. Maybe they were well known extortionists? An AK was taken.....as well as 25 rounds..... 25 rounds.... carried by one officer at a peace protest. Wow!

1 Like

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by fratermathy(m): 11:48am On Oct 09, 2020
ethicallyright:
I hope it is innocent Nigerians that stole Ak47s after killing men of the force who represent the Federal Government of Nigeria.

In a country where a pedestrian risks getting beaten and burnt to death after a mentally challenged community member shouts "OLE", the youth are protesting against profiling by men of the police force.

I have maintained my position as someone who did courses in criminology and Criminal psychology during my undergraduate days that those who push this narrative of #endsars are mostly criminals with sinister motives.

Those who support them do not understand the role of SARS in making the Southern States safe.

The forerunners know the implication.

They can run their fraudulent schemes without resistance, engage in their cultism parades in broad daylight , rebuild the local drug trade routes and strengthen the southern fire arms proliferation industry.

It's stupid to say SARS should not check cyber crimes if you would not also agree that only anti terrorism units should guard against terrorist attacks. If you say SARS should not check fraud then do not blame the entire police force if they do not check the activities of herdsmen since there is a special unit responsible for every crime.

You have made intelligent points and I agree with you on many of them. However, my problem with SARS is that the officers clearly lack professionalism. They treat everyone they see as a potential criminal and they profile you based on subjective parameters. I'm a young lecturer and I have been harassed several times by SARS officers just because I'm young, drive a car, and look neat. I usually have to show them my ID card before I am let off the hook. In one or two cases, the SARS officer completely ignored my ID and proceeded to harass me. I vehemently refused them from searching my phone and I threatened fire and brimstone on them. I could only do that because it was a public place and I know my rights. The average Nigerian youth has been psychologically oriented to fear armed officers and the officers take advantage of this. Imagine what the trigger happy officers would do if I had demanded my rights in a secluded location? Tales and facts abound of how SARS officers have killed, maimed and tortured innocent people who dared to ask simple questions.

I do not personally advocate for the end of SARS because that won't change a thing. Other police officers will just take their place. I want a situation where the SARS officers can be held accountable. We may have to start the use of body cameras, location tracking, retraining, psychological evaluation and routine substance abuse tests. SARS officers should be placed within a clear structure in which someone is accountable for their actions. If a squad messes up, their leader or the zonal leader should be arrested and made to produce the squad. The officers should also be prevented from stopping cars or blocking roads. They can do their jobs more effectively as patrol teams. Investigations should be done in collaboration with non-SARS officers who would check for human rights violation.

The point I'm making is that SARS, and indeed the entire police force, has to be overhauled and rebranded for contemporary needs and with contemporary technology and developments. The police still has a colonial mentality and until that changes, all the noise we are making will amount to nothing.

3 Likes

Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by deavicky(m): 11:48am On Oct 09, 2020
OkhaiAsein:
i would have said u are righ, but i had withnessed two impression cases. Both are my colleague in the office. This SARS are doing too much.
Re: IGP Calls For An End To Violence Against Law Enforcement Officers by karnap(m): 11:50am On Oct 09, 2020
endSars will bring criminals grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kwara Community Where Residents Share Dirty Water With Cattle, Dogs / Ekiti Rigging Scandal; Fayose, Obanikoro, Omisore Others On Their Own -PDP / Supporters Gather As EFCC Grills Saraki’s Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.