Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? (15418 Views)

Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? / Pastor Christ Penelope Farts On Heads Of Worshippers To Demonstrate God's Power / Oyedepo: A Believer Behaving Like Mumu In Place Of Authority, This Is Evil Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by RealEzee(m): 10:07am On Oct 11, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses!

We will never do such a thing because the Master taught us to all those in authority to take their chances in whatever they feel like doing since we know that their government is not our government! Matt 5:39-42
Whatever they're doing there is none of our business since our own government is not from this source! John 18:36
People voted them in so it's the duty of those who voted them to protest against them perhaps those elected aren't performing as they promised the voters. But for us who never has any hand in all their arrangement, ours is to leave their premises for them if they will not allow us worship our God in peace! Matt 10:23
We are not part of the world! John 17:14-16
do u pay tax? Should enjoy the benefits of those who pay tax?
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Openbusiness: 10:09am On Oct 11, 2020
Amatarasha:
Our Lord Jesus instructed us to avoid protest that is against our leaders , is a sin
Show me the scripture where he said so, I just need 1
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by SeriouslySense(m): 10:12am On Oct 11, 2020
Let me ask this people who spit their personal opinions, because they are cowards, they have not even put an intelligent analysis, from the bible, so its clear, so i ask simple questions.

1) When life is bad, do you seek better oppurtunities.

2) When you Leader turns bad, do you accept his actions, without any objections.

My Problem with Some people, is that, they do not think, they lack good reasoning, this is a very important skill any child should get, even before religious education.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Openbusiness: 10:13am On Oct 11, 2020
I can see that some Believers on this thread don't really understand the meaning of protests, and so they don't understand the meaning of peaceful protests either
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Donspicey: 10:15am On Oct 11, 2020
AududuNine11:

Jesus Christ was consumed in the work of which His Father has set Him to do.

Jesus didn't "protest", whatever you mean by such word, He sternly rebuked and warned the hypocritical religious leaders who pervert God's words and serve as stumbling block to salvation and liberation of the lost sheep Jesus came to save.

Christ constant warning was not just to the common sinners, but to all and sundry, rulers not excluded.

I am really confused when you say Jesus Christ "protested". That sounds hilarious I must say.

If I must ask, is it the same zeal for the works of God that you're consumed with? Are you protesting for the salvation of the lost or what really?

We really need to watch it so as not to blaspheme in our attempt to justify our actions by misquoting scriptures, taking them out of context and dragging the name of the Lord into our figment of our own mind.

Sometimes, we fail to understand we are pilgrims here on earth.

We have become so entangled and choked with the cares of life that we think here is our final bus-stop.

So wats d difference btw *Protest* and

#Rebuke

#Condemn

#Testify Againt

#Warn Against

#Disagree.......

Mr man anytin u speak against or disagree with is same wit Protest
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by DAVIDMOE(m): 10:17am On Oct 11, 2020
Let's not be ignorant of the fact that the government system in the Bible is totally different from what we are practicing here in Nigeria.
WE ARE IN DEMOCRACY (we have the right to ask questions and even fight as Christians --if the need comes.)

Don't we remember that there was crusades in the 1800s? Mehn.. There was a great fight for this religion to reach us today (research about crusade)

And I need to let all of us know that the Bible is not complete and those that translated it to English removed many things that don't suit them sad

I don't like commenting on religious issues because people that argue on it always have incomplete knowledge.

Last last guide your life everyone
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by SeriouslySense(m): 10:24am On Oct 11, 2020
Lets think even in terms of our history, how our ancestors, were cowards, ignorant and not very aware, and how they were trampled upon like goats, So as a generation with knowledge, what have you learned, to remain in your shell, and ignorant, then everyone will trample on you, it is not even about religion
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Openbusiness: 10:25am On Oct 11, 2020
What does Protest mean? A protest is a public expression or communication of dissatisfaction or disapproval against something. A protest is a public outcry against something. A protest is not something secret, it is something openly done, a public display to express your views of displeasure about something. This is what it means to protest.

Having understood this, then a peaceful protest means a public outcry against something in a peaceful way, a public demonstration or expression or communication of displeasure in a peaceful way. That is you don't employ violence or instruments of violence or engage in destructive methods while you protest.

Therefore a Believer can and should participate in peaceful protests against injustice. It is a CIVIC duty. You can't call yourself a Believer and not stand up for justice or speak publicly against injustice. Then what kind of Believer are you? What exactly do you believe in as a Believer? Being a Believer means you believe in something and being a Christian Believer means you believe in and uphold the values of the Christian faith. Among the values of the Christian faith, do you know Justice is the most important? Do you know that even the God that you believe in hates injustice with passion and fights against injustice?
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by HeavenlyHolines(m): 10:35am On Oct 11, 2020
but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously
Openbusiness:
And how exactly do these scriptures relate to Believers not participating in peaceful protests?
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by ProfEinstein: 10:41am On Oct 11, 2020
You are very useless for asking this question, look at what religion has done to your Psyche. Ewu hausa
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by nwizy(m): 10:49am On Oct 11, 2020
Ok here is the conclusion of the matter:

Take Jesus for an example, during His time where the Pharisees and the Scribes were been partial and ungodly in their ways, He didn't just take over the streets with placards or warchants but He took over it like one with authority.

He challenged the leaders without raining abuses, but with corrections and rebukes.

Now as a Christian we ought to show our displeasure by not joining the world in warchants and slangs that can take away our salvation.

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 11, 2020
AkinwaleJJ:

I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses!

We will never do such a thing because the Master taught us to all those in authority to take their chances in whatever they feel like doing since we know that their government is not our government! Matt 5:39-42
Whatever they're doing there is none of our business since our own government is not from this source! John 18:36
People voted them in so it's the duty of those who voted them to protest against them perhaps those elected aren't performing as they promised the voters. But for us who never has any hand in all their arrangement, ours is to leave their premises for them if they will not allow us worship our God in peace! Matt 10:23
We are not part of the world! John 17:14-16

Guy if I fit see you face to face, you go bleed I swear!
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by starrez: 10:52am On Oct 11, 2020
AududuNine11:

Your answers are in the Bible already.

If you study the scripture with the help of the Holy Spirit and not just like a story book or novel, you'd find answers to the questions you've asked above.

Talking about being a lazy youth, I will assume you were just simply being careless with words.

Try putting up a better rebuttal next time.

I hope SARS or any rogue police asks you for your religion next time they stop you.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Openbusiness: 10:53am On Oct 11, 2020
HeavenlyHolines:
but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously
When it comes to scriptures, don't just know the letters, know the spirit in the letter. You're quoting a scripture that references about Jesus yielding himself as a sacrificial lamb for the sins of the world. How does this relate to a Believer not participating in peaceful protests? You still haven't answered. Jesus committed himself to Him that judges righteously = Jesus didn't retaliate when he was attacked by those who condemned him to die, a LEGAL condemnation (even though it was by a conspiracy and frame up) because he faced a trial and was declared guilty by law. How does this relate to peaceful protests? Are you saying the willing sufferings of Jesus at the hands of his oppressors means that we shouldn't protests? Are we the sacrificial lamb that the Bible says was set apart and slain from the foundation of the world for this very purpose to suffer and die for the sins of humanity? Study to show yourself approved. Don't just quote scriptures, you need to understand the Spirit of those letters.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by freeborn02: 10:55am On Oct 11, 2020
AududuNine11:
Should a believer join any PROTEST, DEMONSTRATE, CARRY PLACARDS?

Here's my view as a believer regarding PROTEST/DEMONSTRATION - peaceful or not peaceful, SARS related or not:

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.
1 Corinthians 10:23 KJV

The scriptures also said that "I am everything to everyone that I may win some" 1 Corinthians 9:22
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 11, 2020
AududuNine11:

If those beastly SARS officers have met Jesus Christ and surrendered to His Lordship, we won't be having the whole mess we are having now.

Some of them go to church, take holy communions, share flyers for their church crusade

Accepting Jesus is not the issue but being human first.... You don't need a religion to be human...before you do anything your heart already tells you what's good and bad....the next action you take is entirely up to you

I don't have a church and I don't belong to any religion but I know evil and good deep in my heart

I have seen a Catholic priest refused to bury a man because the man attends Pentecostal on weekdays

I have seen a pastor refuse to wed you because you follows your wife to be to their church sometimes

I have seen an imam preach hate against the infidels because of their religion

I have seen a Muslim bomb none Muslim society because of his religion calls them infidels

And I have seen a none believer commits atrocities because he don't believe in anything

MY POINT IS... I DON'T NEED RELIGION TO BE HUMAN.....
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Evii: 10:57am On Oct 11, 2020
If your pastor talks about MONEY in church today, but does not talk about EndSARS, simply get a piece of paper, write #EndSARS on it, wait for offering time, and put that piece of paper in the offering basket.
Christianity must be about PEOPLE, not about MONEY. It was the African American church that led the Civil Right Movement. Dr. Martin Luther King was a pastor. They did not leave the civil right to entertainers, athletes, or other celebrities. Pastoral care must be directed at the well being of members of the Body of Christ and that is what EndSARS is all about.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Openbusiness: 10:58am On Oct 11, 2020
It's shocking to see people who claim to be Believers and it's shocking to see Believers who know the scriptures say that Believers should not participate in peaceful protests. Do you know there are (or will be, depending on the time perspective you look at it) "peaceful protests" (quote and unquote) in the Heaven that is existing currently?
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 11:01am On Oct 11, 2020
Pa Elijah was a protester always protesting against the wickedness of Ahab and his wife.
Nathan told Pa David the king to his face that he has done something so bad by killing a man and marrying his wife. David repented but Ahab and his wife didn't repent.
Jesus protested against the injustice of the Jews and how they preach one thing and do the other. How they treat the poor with scorn.
So my borther abi sister, if you want to hide behind Christianity and Ellie the wicked resign, you will suffer from bad leaders in this world and still continue suffering in the next world
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Nobody: 11:05am On Oct 11, 2020
ibuildstuff:

Same here, m breaking up with my girl for this reason. She wants our children to be brought in the church way. Am totally against that, my children making that decision themselves. Am only teaching them to be humanist, and how humanity comes first b4 anything.

I tell you....can't have my kids shouting Jesus at every small thing in their life, don't need them praying for solution than thinking one for themselves, don't need them on their kneels rather than standing tall on their feet.

Won't have my daughter marry and years later if the husband is beating her up or maltreating her....instead of quitting her marriage.... She will go praying for the foolish husband from one pastor to another.

I was raised in religious family and ever since my childhood I never find it comfortable

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Openbusiness: 11:20am On Oct 11, 2020
Revelations 6: 9 When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. 10 They called out in a loud voice, "How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?" 11 Then each of them was given a white robe, and they were told to wait a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and brothers who were to be killed as they had been was completed.

A peaceful protest = a public outcry of displeasure in a non-violent way. Look at the scriptures above, there were a particular group of saints in Heaven who gathered together and they called out in a lout voice (= public outcry) for justice. Another accurate interpretation of this is that they did a peaceful protest to God, they made a public outcry against injustice, they gathered and publicly yelled out and said God, how long before we will get justice, they weren't happy they had not gotten justice, that God had not rolled out punishment. Did God shut them up? Did he send angels to cancel their protests? No, He told them to wait a little longer = I have heard your protests, don't worry, I'm aware of your displeasure and outcry, I'm working on it, you will see the results soon.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Kachi11061998(m): 11:28am On Oct 11, 2020
Meanwhile , People selling at d temple tought dat d cane Jesus brought was for another parable until one man selling okpa heard 'tawaai!! for em back

��
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Apktotheworld: 11:32am On Oct 11, 2020
Kobojunkie:
The decision to engage in protest/demonstrate or carry placards is ultimately yours since Jesus Christ never commanded us, in any way, not to engage in bettering the communities in which we live in. We are not called to be islands in the sea of all that is the world, and we are not called to isolate ourselves from that which concerns others i.e. those who are our neighbors.
What has this verse from Paul to do with you and your view on whether a believer can join protests or not?
As in bro ehn. The way we read and apply scriptures at times makes me wonder o.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by JIMMY1393: 11:34am On Oct 11, 2020
Amotolongbo:
Dem don come again!

Those who don’t understand the reasons for their existence
I swear...
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by seunayantokun(m): 11:34am On Oct 11, 2020
AududuNine11:
Should a believer join any PROTEST, DEMONSTRATE, CARRY PLACARDS?

Here's my view as a believer regarding PROTEST/DEMONSTRATION - peaceful or not peaceful, SARS related or not:

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.
1 Corinthians 10:23 KJV

What kind of Bible do you attend?
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 11, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
You think too highly of yourself, thinking that replies where solicited or required from you. Your cerebral incapacity wouldnt permit your ADHD brain from understanding even the simplest and broken down I could post. Try pull out your head from way back inside you rear end you've shoved it into, then maybe enough blood will then easily have chance to flow to your head enough for you begin to understand posts. Mtcheew defeatist, pacifist who doesnt believe in good cause protest angry angry angry
Wetin concern pacifism concern protests, pacifists protest, they are simply against war.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 11, 2020
ezenwajosh:
I can't let religion think for me....my kids won't be baptized or know any church until they are above 18years

The won't be in any school owned by religious organization

If I hear you shout holyghost fire in my house before the age of 18 I will flog the hell fire out of you

I will try and shield them as much as I can then when you get the age of 18+ choose your own bath and I will welcome it with my heart and support you
The first step to being a sensible father, though I'm against flogging, exposing children to religion is not really healthy.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 11, 2020
Offpoint1:

You're not part of of the world, please sir which planet are you typing from?
Leave ndi jw, very annoying set of people, they believe that they are living in their own country which is disjointed from their resident country, until SARS touch that one na when him go know say khaki no be leather.
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 11, 2020
AududuNine11:

If those beastly SARS officers have met Jesus Christ and surrendered to His Lordship, we won't be having the whole mess we are having now.

undecidedundecided Christians commit atrocities too, I don't know why you guys can't realise that most over religious countries are naturally backward.

1 Like

Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Amatarasha(f): 11:43am On Oct 11, 2020
ibuildstuff:

Fûck our Lord Jesus then
CharlyGi n yujiz grin
Re: Should A Believer Join Any Protest, Demonstrate, Carry Placards? by Amatarasha(f): 11:44am On Oct 11, 2020
Openbusiness:
Show me the scripture where he said so, I just need 1
CharlyGi knows

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu / Former Jehovah's Witnesses On NL? / ''Jesus' Holiness, Saint Daniel MyeriJesu'' (A Reverend's Change Of Name)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.