Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,787 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (267) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1378233 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 1:51am On Dec 13, 2014
Wow!!! Congrats, God bless you and the baby Boy

Phema:
And that was how Phema became a mum of a BBB on the 5th of Dec, 2014! My boy came at exactly 36weeks+5days!

This tori long no be small. Make I sha start from somewhere.

Got into Phoenix on the 25th of Nov and went for my financial appointment the next day. Afterwards, I went to book for Dr's appointment, but the lady in charge had closed for the day. They worked half day that day cos the next day was Thanksgiving. So, I was told to call after the Holidays to book the Dr's appointment.

I called and was given 11th of Dec to see the Dr. I tried explaining to the lady that I was far gone and would be 37weeks plus and that I really needed to see the Dr ASAP. But she insisted that was the earliest I could get. I asked what to do if I fell into labour before the said date, and she said I should go straight to the Labour and Delivery department.

Some days after, I started having some labour-like signs. I just ignored them cos I felt baby could could come that early as all the scans I did back in Naija never gave an inkling of baby coming that early. Well, I was wrong, cos the contractions became stronger the next day. Called MIHS labour and delivery unit to ask what to do. Was transfered to a Nurse who adviced to watch and time the contractions. And to come in when they become stronger and close together.

I still couldn't believe it was labour though. I just sat at home and kept watching and timing till it became almost unbearable. I went in and found I was already 4cm dilated. For my mind, I say huh! Just like that? They checked and said my fluid was low and baby was quite small. Asked for my medical records and I told them I had not even seen a Dr here. They asked if I had any scan from Naija. Fortunately, I had one which showed I was 36weeks plus 3days gone. The lady ran a quick scan and said I was just 34weeks. I insisted I was 36weeks plus.

That was the moment they started running all the tests that could have been run on my first appointment. Took me to the labour room and called the NICU people to be on stand by as they were expecting a premie.

I requested for epidural. Was given and it felt heavenly! At some point, the baby's heart beat dropped and I saw the highest number of Drs in my whole life in just a second. One was giving me oxygen, the other was breaking my water (my water had not broken at that time). Others were sha operating plenty equipments. I was so so scared and pratically shivering all through. They managed the situation and told me not to worry. That my baby was doing great.

Then I became 10cm dilated and the pushing began. Hehehehehehehe. No be small something. Could push well cos I wasn't feeling my contractions cos of the epidural. I was merely wasting my energy. After awhile, the Nurse advised that the epidural be put off so I can feel my contractions and know when to push. That was done and it took effect after about an hour.

I will jump and pass the pushing part. The pain! Oh the pain! I cringe anytime I remember. Was wondering how God will let anyone go through such pains. Chei! I said and did things I can't even remember doing. The Drs and Nurses were so so nice and patient. And kept urging me on. Hmmn. . . The pain. . . lipsrsealed

Fastforward. . . Baby eventually came and the NICU people were already on ground to evaluate him. They did, said he was doing ok but since he is preterm, they will need to do extensive evaluation. At that point, I called their Chief and told her that I didn't want my child put in NICU if there wasn't any serious issues. She assured me that the child will be brought back to me in about an hour if he passes all his tests. As God would have it, he did pass them. And he was brought back. I was so happy.

Everything went well from then onwards. Truth is, I never expected the kind of services I got. It was awesome!! Everyone seemed way too nice and professional! They kept coming every 30mins to check up on me and baby. Kept asking if I needed anything and all that. I didn't use anything I went to the Hospital with as they provided everything needed by mum and child. I was just too impressed abeg. I couldn't believe I got all that for just $2888.

Na so Phema waka become Mama born-boy! I'm just really grateful to God for everything. It could have only been him. Baby is doing so great. Mum is still sore here and there, but she's getting better. However, nothing prepared these sleepless nights mehn. I dey on duty all the time. Hope it gets better with time.

CC:
Jennykadry
Alutacontinua
Byvan
Moca
Edwife
Bellong

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by jyde2014: 2:46am On Dec 13, 2014
@ Phema, congrAtulations. May God bless the baby and give u good health as well.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamacajah: 2:48am On Dec 13, 2014
Congrats phema. I am so happy for you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by akelvin(f): 3:12am On Dec 13, 2014
Congrats phema thank God for d safe delivery n ur LO.came to post my experience also.
Had my little one at 39weeks d whole process was fast from contraction to birth less tha 2hrs, my water broke rushed to d hospital I was already 7cm before the nurses culd pull injection n what are u I was already pushing they were sending for d doctor baby was out n they were all congratulating me dat was really fast culdnt document nothing.so d doctor said I didn take d prescribed injection cos of how fast everything went need to keep my baby in special care for observation n I told him pls d baby should b kept with me(in my mind as I knw d package didn cover dat)n he said no problem.all test was done n baby was fully fine.like phema said my nurses were amazing abt 5-7nurses on me during labour all doing a different thing n one just encouraging me I can do it cos no epidural...lol,they were really wonderful even d ward kept asking over n over if I needed anything.i didnt like a particular food told my nurse n she got me something else.n like phema has said didn use anything I went with all was provided.d package was over worth it n I give God all thanks.
Applied for passport thru post office paid expedited n overnight priority mail n d passport came exactly 1wk2days so heading for visa nw n shifting my flight earlier than scheduled.@madameu:thank u so much for d help oo much appreciated n regards to d other mum I met at east oak.

18 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by LittleHug: 4:04am On Dec 13, 2014
Awww...Congratutations! God bless mother and child.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bloggerina: 5:33am On Dec 13, 2014
grin Yipeeeee! Phema of life! Congrats mama. Your baby is soooo cute! Some babies just decide to jump out sooner than expected. Hope you even had enough time to shop b4 u popped. Lol

My sister, welcome to motherhood o - a full time job with no sleep, no off-days, no leave, no retirement, no gratuity (hopefully you get pensions sha) but with all the joy & fulfilment in the world!

We thank God for all the safe deliveries here, may God bless and keep your families. ***popping bottles of groundnut in celebration

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Gigi240: 6:02am On Dec 13, 2014
[quote author=Phema post=28832939]And that was how Phema became a mum of a BBB on the 5th of Dec, 2014! My boy came at exactly 36weeks+5days!

Congratulations phema. God bless you and the new baby.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bmay: 6:25am On Dec 13, 2014
[quote author=Phema post=28832939]And that was how Phema became a mum of a BBB on the 5th of Dec, 2014!

Congratulations Phema.God bless and keep youe LO! Enjoy every bit of motherhood! I pray for us all expectant mums that we will all testify to God's glory!!!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by bmay: 6:29am On Dec 13, 2014
[quote author=akelvin post=28833381]Congrats phema thank God for d safe delivery n ur LO.came to post my experience also.
Had my little one at 39weeks d whole process was fast from contraction to birth less tha 2hrs, my water broke rushed to d hospital I was already 7cm.

Congrats akelvin....God bless baby! You sure had a supernatural childbirth!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Fourlar(f): 6:55am On Dec 13, 2014
Congrats Phema.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 7:01am On Dec 13, 2014
Congrats @ akelvin, God bless n keep u n d baby
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by isysleek: 7:15am On Dec 13, 2014
Congrats Phema and akelvin! God bless and keep you and your LOs.

@bj2012golf, God will favour u and ur wife! The visas are urs already. We await ur success story!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Lorlahbee: 8:05am On Dec 13, 2014
Phema:
And that was how Phema became a mum of a BBB on the 5th of Dec, 2014! My boy came at exactly 36weeks+5days!

This tori long no be small. Make I sha start from somewhere.

Got into Phoenix on the 25th of Nov and went for my financial appointment the next day. Afterwards, I went to book for Dr's appointment, but the lady in charge had closed for the day. They worked half day that day cos the next day was Thanksgiving. So, I was told to call after the Holidays to book for Dr's appointment.

I called and was given 11th of Dec to see the Dr. I tried explaining to the lady that I was far gone and would be 37weeks plus at the time and that I really needed to see the Dr ASAP. But she insisted that was the earliest I could get. That they were fully booked. I asked what to do if I fell into labour before the said date, and she said I should go straight to the Labour and Delivery department.

Some days after, I started having some labour-like symptoms. I just ignored them cos I felt baby could not come that early as all the scans I did back in Naija never gave an inkling of baby coming that early. Well, I was wrong, cos the contractions became stronger the next day. Called MIHS labour and delivery unit to ask what to do. Was transfered to a Nurse who advised to watch and time the contractions. And to come in when they become stronger and close together.

I still couldn't believe it was labour though. I just sat at home and kept watching and timing till it became almost unbearable. I went in and found I was already 4cm dilated. For my mind, I say huh! Just like that? So, na person mama I wan be today today so. It was both scary and exciting. They checked and said my fluid was low and baby was quite small. Asked for my medical records and I told them I had not even seen a Dr here. They asked if I had any scan from Naija. Fortunately, I had one which showed I was 36weeks plus 3days gone. The lady ran a quick scan and said she was getting about 34weeks. I insisted I was 36weeks plus.

That was the moment they started running all the tests that could have been run on my first appointment. Took me to the labour room and called the NICU people to be on stand by as they were expecting a "Premie".

I requested for epidural. Was given and it felt heavenly! At some point, the baby's heart beat dropped and I saw the highest number of Drs in my whole life in just a second. One was giving me oxygen, the other was breaking my water (my water had not broken at that time). Others were sha operating plenty equipments. I was so so scared and pratically shivering all through. They managed the situation and told me not to worry. That my baby was doing great.

Then I became 10cm dilated and the pushing began. Hehehehehehehe. No be small something. Couldn't push well cos I wasn't feeling my contractions cos of the epidural. I was merely wasting my energy, thinking baby will soon pop out. After awhile of wasted effort, the Nurse advised that the epidural be put off so I could feel my contractions and know when to push. That was done and it took effect after about an hour 30mins.

I will jump and pass the pushing part. The pain! Oh the pain! I cringe anytime I remember. Was wondering how God will let anyone go through such pains. Chei! I said and did things I can't even remember. The Drs and Nurses were so so nice and patient. And kept urging me on. Hmmn. . . The pain. . . lipsrsealed

Fastforward. . . Baby eventually came and the NICU people were already on ground to evaluate him. They did, said he was doing ok but since he is preterm, they will need to do extensive evaluation. At that point, I called their Chief and told her that I didn't want my child put in NICU if there wasn't any serious issues. She assured me that the child will be brought back to me in about an hour if he passed all his tests. As God would have it, he did pass them. And he was brought back. I was so happy.

Everything went well from then onwards. Truth is, I never expected the kind of services I got. It was awesome!! Everyone seemed way too nice and professional! They kept coming every 30mins to check up on me and baby. Kept asking if I needed anything and all that. I didn't use anything I went to the Hospital with as they provided everything needed by mum and child. I was just too impressed abeg. I couldn't believe I got all that for just $2888.

Na so Phema waka become Mama born-boy! I'm just really grateful to God for everything. It could have only been Him. Baby is doing so great. Mum is still sore here and there, but she's getting better. However, nothing prepared me for these sleepless nights mehn. I dey on duty all the time. Hope it gets better with time.

And that was my experience. Got the baby's BC and already applied for his US passport at the Post Office. Once I'm done with the documentation, I'm sure rescheduling my flight and going home much earlier.

CC:
Jennykadry
Alutacontinua
Byvan
Moca
Edwife
congratulations, God bless your family...
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by sayoberry(f): 8:10am On Dec 13, 2014
bj2012golf:
Hi

They want to authenticate the genuineness of ur bank statement. Details will be forwarded to the audit unit of the head office of ur bank.

Regards

thanks for the encouragement
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by sayoberry(f): 8:17am On Dec 13, 2014
Phema:
Edwife
congratulations to you phema. nice birth story
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by sayoberry(f): 8:18am On Dec 13, 2014
jyde2014:
@ sayoberry,
There's nothing to worry about. Just pray that they do their processing on time. My wife was given same paper on a Friday, i called them the following Friday and they forgot they hadn't called her to come submit her passport. Just call the embassy after few days,make sure you have all your information ready and they will tel you the situation of things.
I wish you the very best.
thank you. ill hold on till friday too before giving them a call
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 8:22am On Dec 13, 2014
Many many congrats to you both @akelvin and phema, your stories are nothing short of joyful and may ur new bundles of joy never cease to be just that in ur lives. Pls for you all planning to reschedule ur flights back home, how easy is it? Cos I'm done with my baby's documentation and tried to reschedule my flight only to be quoted a cost that is as ridiculous as it is expensive. It's a United airlines ticket I booked and for both my mum n I, I was given a price quote of about 500k so as it stands, it seems I am stuck here with baby till 2nd week of Jan. angry pls if anyone knows of any other less costly way I can go about moving my flight earlier, I'll appreciate it. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by fruitfull1: 8:22am On Dec 13, 2014
Congrats phema and akelvin. Wonderful birth stories!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by justwise(m): 9:12am On Dec 13, 2014
akelvin & phema

Congratulations
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by pattyreal(f): 9:15am On Dec 13, 2014
Ma Phema of life! Oya bettr answer ur mails & all. I was sooooo worried! Thank God 4 everytin. He's sooooooo cute. So happy 4 u.
@akelvin congrats toooo, I tap in2 ur 2hr labour, I had ma 1st baby within 3hrs too. I pray dis one will b less dan dat.
Now who is dat doctores.com condemning MIHS I hope u r reading all dese posts. Any where one decides 2 birth it's all by God's grace!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by supamom: 9:35am On Dec 13, 2014
Phema:

CC:
Jennykadry
Alutacontinua
Byvan
Moca
Edwife

Congratulations phema, sending you lots of hugs. You did good, God has done you well. If you dont mind what did he weigh?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by edwife(f): 9:41am On Dec 13, 2014
Phema:

CC:
Edwife

Oh Phema,i am so happy for you....I just feel so excited because i saw you getting married and now this beautiful gift cry kiss(tears of joy)...
May the God that made it happen,continue to perfect his work....

The little angel is so cute kiss kiss kiss be blessed nwannem.....motherhood is so awesome,i could not stop staring at my little angel,kissing him and holding his hand....girl enjoy dear.You going to have a wonderful christmas with Lo,i just wish you are back home before new year tongue tongue cheesy(don't mind me,i like happy reunion)

Congratulations...

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nita2013: 10:12am On Dec 13, 2014
Wow Phema Phema Congrats dear. God is indeed faithful.

[quote author=Phema post=28832939]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nita2013: 10:16am On Dec 13, 2014
Congrats kelvin. Maay ur baby be blessed.
[
tly 1wk2days so heading for visa nw n shifting my flight earlier than scheduled.@madameu:thank u so much for d help oo much appreciated n regards to d other mum I met at east oak.[/quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamacajah: 10:35am On Dec 13, 2014
Congrats akelvin.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by somchisom: 11:06am On Dec 13, 2014
Congrats Phema. Happy for you. God bless the LO

quote author=Phema post=28832939]

CC:
Jennykadry
Alutacontinua
Byvan
Moca
Edwife[/quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by KayLayChi: 11:11am On Dec 13, 2014
Congrats to Phema and Akelvin... May God bless and keep your baby.

Phema's story should be an eye opener for some of us planning to travel after 36 weeks. If she could have her baby at 36+5 then it can happen to anyone.

I must leave this country before the 36th week to avoid stories that touch, it will be sad to give birth in Nigeria after all the stress of getting visa not forgetting the fact that the tickets would have been bought.

I brought this up because a lot of us will read that story and not take note of the lessons. Please let's endeavour to travel before our 36th month. I will rather resume work with a 2 month old baby that have my baby in this country with all the uncertainties. Just my 2cents...

12 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by IyawoToBe(f): 11:15am On Dec 13, 2014
Phema:

OmG! Am so happy for you dear. Wow. God is great! Been disturbed since your pings weren't delivery. So glad it ended in praise kiss kiss
Congratulations love kiss kiss
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 13, 2014
[quote author=IyawoToBe post=28841045][/quote]

Sorry dear. My BBM is not working with the network I've. Email me.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Dec 13, 2014
supamom:

Congratulations phema, sending you lots of hugs. You did good, God has done you well. If you dont mind what did he weigh?

Oh, I don't mind at all. He weighed exactly 2.68KG at birth.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shawbabe: 12:02pm On Dec 13, 2014
36th month ke? cheesy God will not let that be the case for any mother. That's 3 years oh hahahaa
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Shawbabe: 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2014
Congrats Phema and akelvin!

May those LOs bring u joy and favour, amen!

(1) (2) (3) ... (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) ... (402)

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.