Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,133,591 members, 7,744,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 February 2024 at 08:12 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? - Travel (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (1368190 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Yvete(f): 3:10pm On Jan 08, 2014
Rebarobyn: visa type is b1/b2. If she's going to have her baby in the usa asides attending the baptism, it is important for her to declare her full intention at the embassy and also prove she's made plans to pay out of pocket for her medical expenses etc and that she has no intention to access medicaid or other privileges for non citizens. Pls read the thread pages from the beginning for any other info. But key thing is to be honest.

Thanks much. We originally decided to conceal pregnancy, but I read a few pages backwards and it makes sense. I'd love for her to get 3-6 months stamped at POE. What other excuse can we come up with?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ori777: 3:52pm On Jan 08, 2014
debola23: Hallos good people,
Finally I get to the end of this thread. Been reading from page 1 and honestly I have gained so much Info regarding where to give birth and now I am torn between MIHS, WHMC and ofcourse the highly spoken about Doctores Para Ti.
I had my first baby in DCMH, Delaware County Memorial Hospital Delaware which is a hospital somewhere in philadelphia. The DCMH is just an imitation of the state and not the state so don't be confused. It was 3500 for both doctors and Hopsital fees, although ultrasound, pediatrician and blood work bills came seperately, there were all discounted (can't remember the percentage now) but I didnt pay up to 5000 for the whole process.

There is another hospital called Lankenau Medical Centre also in philly area. i know the hospital fees for uncomplicated womanly delivery is 1000$ and CS is 1300$. I am yet to contact a doctor to see what the doctors fees will be like but will do so once I get into the states.
Just thought I should share since I didn't see any info on people going to give birth around that area Philadelphia, PA. I wouldnt want to go back there because the relatives i have there are not so nice and I wouldnt like to go thru the same treatment especially now that I have a daughter who is very active. I preffer to stay on my own therefore I am looking for other options just have not made up my mind yet on which.

Now my question is, when I was going to have my first child, at the POE in Atlanta, Even though i was quite heavy, I told the CBP i was coming for shopping and she granted me six months no question. From the many refusals I have read on this forum, I am scared on what I would meet at the POE this time incase they ask me why I didnt say if i was going to have a baby the last time I came in. Truly I did a lot of shopping , even bought an SUV from there and a lot of baby items that i shipped in with the car. I have some receipts and pictures to show for that. Can you guys suggest to me how best to answer this question?

Already bought a ticket for Jan 18 and going with husband and daughter. Pls your suggestions will be much appreciated.
Thanks

@debola.
My case is similar to yours though i'l be going in April.
Please let me know what you were asked at POE- which one are you using? Pray you receive God's favor.
Someone on this thread mentioned mailing the embassy to Inform them about one's intention to have a baby in the states and ensuring some payment before traveling. I understand they respond advising you to make sure you pay etc. this is printed and shown at POE.
I'm looking at this option as well. You may want to do that too.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Cutebabies: 4:47pm On Jan 08, 2014
Algunano:

Sounds good, When do you plan to leave Nigeria ? How far is Oakbend from Westheimer ? I'll have to check that myself. Does obgyn/gyn cover pre-natal visits & ultra sounds up to delivery or you have to pay for that separately ?

I should be traveling in April by God's grace. I'm not sure about the distance but you can ask the person you're staying with. Probably she might know or better still, use google map.
Yeah, the doctor's fee I quoted includes pre-natal visits and ultrasound.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by AngelicBola83(f): 5:05pm On Jan 08, 2014
There is another hospital called Lankenau Medical Centre also in philly area. i know the hospital fees for uncomplicated womanly delivery is 1000$ and CS is 1300$. I am yet to contact a doctor to see what the doctors fees will be like but will do so once I get into the states.
Just thought I should share since I didn't see any info on people going to give birth around that area Philadelphia, PA. I wouldnt want to go back there because the relatives i have there are not so nice and I wouldnt like to go thru the same treatment especially now that I have a daughter who is very active. I preffer to stay on my own therefore I am looking for other options just have not made up my mind yet on which.

Hello there, i have family in New Jersey and would like to find out if you have any other information about lankenau medical center that you mentioned. i would like to be updated if you have any other information. i am aware that Philadelphia is quite close to New Jersey. wish you all the best
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Alemo50: 6:03pm On Jan 08, 2014
Yvete:

Nasty comments like this is the reason why most people struggle with opening their doors to visitors from Nigeria. Some of you come with a competitive mindset. Who cares?? Never heard of Doctor's Hospital, Manhattan? FYI, that's where "envied" people go. cheesy

I think you are quoting out of context. The statement was made as part of a reason why someone refused a visa should not be severely depressed, as there are also reasons to be happy to be based in Nigeria. Therefore, it will be inappropriate of you to use that statement to justify why you or others close your doors to visitors from Nigeria. Even if you close your doors, you will realize that those to whom you have closed your doors will still survive one way or the other. They knock on your doors, not because they can't survive, but because they need support.

Moreover, it is true that some Nigerians based in US envy their counterparts in Nigeria in some areas, so you denying that is unfortunate. Painting a rosy picture of situations in US has cause many Nigerian youth to emigrate at all cost only to regret their decisions later. Coupled with the fact that those same people who painted the pictures then lock their doors in the face of those emigrants when they arrive in the US. So, whenever we give opinions, let's consider their effects on the lives of others.

Above all, let's continue to open our doors to our brothers in need, so that others can open their doors to us in need also. Cheers and God bless.

7 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Algunano: 6:05pm On Jan 08, 2014
Cute babies:

I should be traveling in April by God's grace. I'm not sure about the distance but you can ask the person you're staying with. Probably she might know or better still, use google map.
Yeah, the doctor's fee I quoted includes pre-natal visits and ultrasound.

I am leaving first week in April as well, will be travelling with British Airways. I have my visa already but I need to inform the embassy of my intent. Can you please assist with what you told them in the email you sent. What email address did you send it to ? What did you write ? and did they respond ?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Alemo50: 6:12pm On Jan 08, 2014
nikkygal: debola23:

Thanks

Pls I will be going to Philly on Feb 04, so I will like to be in touch. Pls let's know what the physician fee will be for CS and other costs eg pediatrian, tests etc at the Lankenau Medical Centre.

Regarding POE, I emailed them also after emailing the US embassy in Nigeria, and their responses were similar, summarily: Refusal of entry is at the complete discretion of the officer, but at the minimum you should demonstrate financial capability and documentation with a US hospital.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Cutebabies: 7:08pm On Jan 08, 2014
Algunano:

I am leaving first week in April as well, will be travelling with British Airways. I have my visa already but I need to inform the embassy of my intent. Can you please assist with what you told them in the email you sent. What email address did you send it to ? What did you write ? and did they respond ?

Address is (LagosNIV@state.gov). I told them that I already had a B1/B2 visa which I obtained for the purpose of vacation but now I'm pregnant and intend birthing in the US whether I had to apply for another visa. The reply was that my visa covers for that and that I just have to go with the proof of financial capability to present at the point of entry. I'm flying Delta.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Acks: 7:13pm On Jan 08, 2014
Dr_OBD, I sent you a mail on nairaland.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by wale4me: 8:31pm On Jan 08, 2014
Nothing nasty about this comment ..a fellow just talking about his personal experience and you making unqualified assement of his views ...do you think everybody living in USA are super rich ...am a regular visitor to the USA because l have a good job in Nigeria and l also have friends that could not avoid a fligth ticket to visit Nigeria...this is no competitive mindset but fact from a mature mind and not childish comment like yours ..get ur fact staight and stop ugly sentiment

Nasty comments like this is the reason why most people struggle with opening their doors to visitors from Nigeria. Some of you come with a competitive mindset. Who cares?? Never heard of Doctor's Hospital, Manhattan? FYI, that's where "envied" people go. cheesy[/quote]
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by wale4me: 8:36pm On Jan 08, 2014
Yvete:

Nasty comments like this is the reason why most people struggle with opening their doors to visitors from Nigeria. Some of you come with a competitive mindset. Who cares?? Never heard of Doctor's Hospital, Manhattan? FYI, that's where "envied" people go. cheesy

Nothing nasty about this comment ..a fellow just talking about his personal experience and you making unqualified assement of his views ...do you think everybody living in USA are super rich ...am a regular visitor to the USA because l have a good job in Nigeria and l also have friends that could not avoid a fligth ticket to visit Nigeria...this is no competitive mindset but fact from a mature mind and not childish comment like yours ..get ur fact staight and stop ugly sentiment
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by papyy: 9:24pm On Jan 08, 2014
HEllo great peopLe

i am travelling april. can anyone assist with details on HOUSTON NORTHWEST MEDICAL CENTRE? has ANY1 USED THIS CLINIC BEFORE? YOUR RESPONSE WILL BE HIGHLY APRECIATED
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by labella12: 8:15am On Jan 09, 2014
firsttimer:

2. lemme break it down for you sir/ma.
For single bedded, its like $800+ with tax for a month
For double bedded, its like $900+ with tax for a month
(pls note that a month here is 5weeks even if its February)

Hello firsttimer and the elpaso clan. Please I have a question concerning the above. R u sayin you will be billed for 5weeks in a month so for three months is 15weeks instead of 13weeks? Or they count their own differently
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by firsttimer: 5:04pm On Jan 09, 2014
Hallos,

5weeks = 1month in intown suites.

labella12:

Hello firsttimer and the elpaso clan. Please I have a question concerning the above. R u sayin you will be billed for 5weeks in a month so for three months is 15weeks instead of 13weeks? Or they count their own differently
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by debola23(f): 6:27pm On Jan 09, 2014
@ori777,
I will be going in january with Lufthansa thru Frankfurt and then straight to Philly. Hopefully POE wont be as hot there in philly. I will let you know as it goes cos I will be going next saturday 18th jan. The truth is I havent really started making any efforts towards contacting any doctor or hospital cos im not due till April and I want to believe I still have enough time to do some more research will be better done from there.
God will teach me how to go about it. Mailing embassy for change of plans would require changing tickets from three weeks to onths and committing to a hospital and doctor.

ori777:
@debola.
My case is similar to yours though i'l be going in April.
Please let me know what you were asked at POE- which one are you using? Pray you receive God's favor.
Someone on this thread mentioned mailing the embassy to Inform them about one's intention to have a baby in the states and ensuring some payment before traveling. I understand they respond advising you to make sure you pay etc. this is printed and shown at POE.
I'm looking at this option as well. You may want to do that too.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by debola23(f): 6:35pm On Jan 09, 2014
@angelicbola and Alemo50.

Yes thats true, New Jersey to Philly isn't so far. I have been counting on my sister to help with inquiry about all other expenses but she hasn't been forthcoming so i will get all that information about pediatrician and other blood work fees when I get there. Thanks

AngelicBola83:

Hello there, i have family in New Jersey and would like to find out if you have any other information about lankenau medical center that you mentioned. i would like to be updated if you have any other information. i am aware that Philadelphia is quite close to New Jersey. wish you all the best
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ozzy2: 6:42pm On Jan 09, 2014
@debola, i dont tink mailing the embassy will have anything to D̶̲̥̅̊ö with changing your tickets to months or contact a doctor first. I contacted the embassy via email yesterday of my intention to give birth in the usa. Below was their response

Thank you for your inquiry. Please note that there is no legal requirement to inform us that you are seeking to give birth in the United States or that your purpose of travel has changed. The Customs and Border Protection, a branch of USCIS, determines a traveler's eligibility of entry to the U.S, you should be prepared to demonstrate to the immigration officer at the port of entry why you are seeking medical treatment and that you have logistical and financial plans for the treatment.

We recommend that you review the regulations on non-immigrant aliens entering the United States for purposes of childbirth at https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/882/~/visit-the-u.s.-while-pregnant-and-the-risks-involved and plan accordingly. Please you should not stay in the U.S. longer than you are permitted by Customs and Border Protection at the port of entry. The Department of Homeland Security at the port of entry will determine your eligibility to enter the United States on any travel. You don't need another visa.

If you choose to give birth in the U.S., we advise you to bring evidence of payment, both when you enter the U.S. on this visit, and at your future U.S. visa interviews.

Sincerely,

Correspondence Unit (TMI)
US CONSULATE GENERAL
LAGOS, NIGERIA

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by DrOBD(m): 8:33pm On Jan 09, 2014
Acks: Dr_OBD, I sent you a mail on nairaland.

Thanks,
But I can't access the email. I think we have to follow each other first or how is it done. Like 3 people have sent me emails and I can't access them.
Thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Rebarobyn: 10:23pm On Jan 09, 2014
Yvete:

Thanks much. We originally decided to conceal pregnancy, but I read a few pages backwards and it makes sense. I'd love for her to get 3-6 months stamped at POE. What other excuse can we come up with?

You don't need excuses, just tell the truth. Most of the excuses have become a cliche :-)
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by jyde2014: 9:19am On Jan 10, 2014
Gd morn all,
My wife was denied at the embassy this morning without any reason. None of our documents were checked,just the normal template of refusal was given to her.....
Maybe the baby wants to be born in Nigeria......
Anyway,will give it one final shot,and if God says yes,then so be it.....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by ozycy: 10:07am On Jan 10, 2014
jyde2014: Gd morn all,
My wife was denied at the embassy this morning without any reason. None of our documents were checked,just the normal template of refusal was given to her.....
@ Jyde2014 am so sorry to hear that, dose pple can be so mean atimes. It's well
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by BnBarbie(f): 11:54am On Jan 10, 2014
So sorry to hear that.
I have noticed from recent refusals on this thread that the VOs don't seem to like to see that medical expenses have been prepaid. Maybe they feel we do that as a way of bending their decisions.
Anyway @Jyde2014; i remember you saying your wife applied before and was refused. Did you rectify the initial issues that were raised in the last interview regarding the account statements? Did you indicate that your wife would be with family in the US during her stay or she'd be alone? I'm asking because you mentioned that in her previous interview she was asked if she'd be going with her husband and she said work may not permit.
can you let us know what questions were asked this time?

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by adejokemi(m): 12:33pm On Jan 10, 2014
Hello People,

Am new on this thread and its been immensely beneficial reading all your comments. My wife and I are scheduled for an interview on January 30th 2014 and based on the advise we have received and in addition to all i have read here as well, I am of the opinion that it is the best.

please my cousin stays in Milwaukee and she recently gave birth although she is a citizen and based on this she recommended her doctor and based on the estimates the doctor gave us which is 3,300 and the hospital (St. Joseph Hospital, Milwaukee) also gave us a discounted estimate of almost $6,500 for the hospital bill.

to me and based on what i have read here so far, its a bit on the high side, my question is has anyone here ever gave birth in Milwaukee? or do you have any other doctor or hospital in Milwaukee that can charge less, I will appreciate any suggestion please.

thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by amynuch: 2:34pm On Jan 10, 2014
[quote author=jyde2014]Gd morn all,

Oh dear, so sorry to hear that. Please where did she attend the interview ?what questions did they ask? What do you guys intend to do now?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by peaceoffering: 3:40pm On Jan 10, 2014
@angelicdebola
Pls I sent u an email as I would like to ask u some further questions.pls kindly respond when u r less busy.thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by AngelicBola83(f): 7:55pm On Jan 10, 2014
I am sorry @peace offering I can't figure out how to check the mail.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Rebarobyn: 8:04pm On Jan 10, 2014

So sorry Jdye2014 but something is amiss. If she had an interview and they didn't check docs then she must have said something that made the VO make up his mind that he won't give irrespective off any documentation. Did she say how the conversation went? or could the previous VO have stated a case of misconduct against her as he threatened that last time?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by itzaYES: 9:23pm On Jan 10, 2014
GoodDay everyone.
I have all my documents ready for my Visa interview this month.
* Letter of introduction from my company
* Statement of account with enough to cover for all expenses + excesses
* Letter of medical Responsibility from Doctors Para Ti
The only issue now is I used intown suites as my address in my Visa application but after booking I have not been able to get a Reservation Confirmation mail from them as proof during my interview.
I have called them several times to no avail.
Please House what do i do..? Or can one of us who is already at Intown suites be good enough to help facilitate this with their front desk officers over there.
Thanks Guys..
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by wunmi38: 10:47pm On Jan 10, 2014
Rebarobyn:

So sorry Jdye2014 but something is amiss. If she had an interview and they didn't check docs then she must have said something that made the VO make up his mind that he won't give irrespective off any documentation. Did she say how the conversation went? or could the previous VO have stated a case of misconduct against her as he threatened that last time?

Goods day all, I just want to state some personal opinion now I feel telling them in lagos officd that you want to goods and give birth they are not ready to oblige but from the Abuja office its a different story I stand to be corrected but I feel the lagos office don't like hearing the truth about our real reason for going over to USA.
I wish everybody the best but suggest we try Abuja or we get our Visa for visitation not prepare for payment of the fees required of Us.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by efuru: 6:16pm On Jun 27, 2014
Wat happened to all de peeps on dis cite?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by mamacajah: 6:26pm On Jun 27, 2014
Wow! nairaland is back. I missed everyone. I had to register with a new name, lol (old name -taa2s). Where's everybody? MIHS clan? El paso? anyone travelling oct to phoneix? I am still torn btw phoneix and el paso.

For those seeking NY, I got the name of some other hospitals but the price range is higher than wyckoff ($6,500). North central bronx hospital is $15k, Holisticgyn is $6,800 vaginal delivery and $10,930 for CS, Trinitas Regional Hospital Elizabeth New Jersey also $12-15k. NY and NJ are quite high undecided.

Please for those who used MIHS, I would be grateful for accommodation information, so that I can start making reservations early. I plan to depart mid-october, so anyone going send me a mail.

Please everyone, lets get this thread moving again. grin
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jun 27, 2014
So, we lost about 150 pages of useful information to this attack? Too bad.

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (402)

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.