Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,146 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:46 AM

FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News (19106 Views)

FG Budgets ₦5bn For Presidential Yacht / FG Budgets ₦13.8bn For Obasanjo, Jonathan, IBB, Atiku, Others / FG Budgets N10.6bn For Transportation Of COVID-19 Vaccine Across Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by ebukajay184: 10:08am On Oct 11, 2020
FG budgets N336m to fight hate speech, others

The Federal Ministry of Information and Culture has budgeted N336 million to campaign against hate speech and fake news.

This is contained in the 2021 budget proposal presented to the National Assembly by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Thursday.

It reads in part, “ERGP9124023 Special enlightenment campaign on government policies and programmes; testimonial series to gauge the impact of government policies on the citizenry, advocacy against fake news, hate speech, farmers-herder clashes, banditry, rape etc. ongoing- N336,015,959.”

The Federal Government has in recent times put in place several strict measures to tackle hate speech and fake news amid criticisms from rights groups that it is a ruse to stifle free speech.

The National Broadcasting Commission had recently amended the Broadcast Code, hiking the fine for hate speech from N500,000 to N5 million, a move which has been challenged in court.

A bill that imposes the death penalty on “any person found guilty of any form of hate speech that results in the death of another person” is currently before the Senate.

Tagged “National Commission for the Prohibition of Hate Speeches”, the bill is sponsored by the Deputy Chief Whip of the Senate, Abdullahi Aliu Sabi (APC, Niger State).

It states in part, “Any person who commits an offence under this section shall be liable to life imprisonment and where the act causes any loss of life, the person shall be punished with death by hanging.”

On offences like harassment on the basis of ethnicity, racial contempt, the bill proposes not less than a five-year jail term or a fine of not less than N10 million or both.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/fg-budgets-n336m-to-fight-hate-speech-others/%3famp=1

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by XXXXTENTACION: 10:31am On Oct 11, 2020
Too bad embarassed

no more free speech under buhari.

you will always remember me for the freedom you enjoyed under me. -----Goodluck Jonathan.

203 Likes 16 Shares

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Marine54(m): 10:38am On Oct 11, 2020
Look at him! He is even looking like hate speech and fake news itself !

253 Likes 15 Shares

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by obyrich(m): 11:42am On Oct 11, 2020
More that 50% will be swallowed by thieving politicians. Fantastically corrupt people.

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by medolab90(m): 9:49pm On Oct 11, 2020
336million for hate speech?? This same amount could be spent on employment creation to engage those who are even inciting the so called hate speech but No they chose the other way.

Those supporting this government should be ashamed of themselves!! There is nothing good in Supporting no freedom of speech, backwardness and hardship.

88 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by tot(f): 9:49pm On Oct 11, 2020
Mscheeeeeeeeew. Just take a look at the priorities of this government. Shame!!

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Cvwriter1(m): 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
What rubbish, money way them for use set up schools, settle ASUU, end sars. Who fake news help. This government just weak me but Davido just empower me. #Endsars

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by nairalandankrah: 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
All this monies just to buy superglue to hold Nigeria together...
#stopwastingourmoney

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
Radarada

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by DoubleEngine007: 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
#ENDBADGOVT#

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by DenreleDave(m): 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
grin make sure they budget money to buy sense too..

Useless people

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Jh0wsef(m): 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
lol
Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Mendula35(m): 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
Iranu
Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Akinbahm(m): 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
Marine54:
Look at him! He is even looking like hate speech and fake news itself !

You just poured out my mind...

#ReformNigeriaPoliceBrutality.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by MansoryMX(m): 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
The Money is too small, they should make it $2 billion dollars. Bunch of confused Hyenas! We ready for una this time around! Eye for eye! Tooth for tooth! Death for death! We will not be pushed around anymore with suffering and smiling! E don end!

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Strika22(m): 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
Na wa
Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by clinsman1: 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
Nawa for dis govt

2 Likes

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Bethrose: 9:50pm On Oct 11, 2020
Nigeria don scatter!
Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by globalresource: 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2020
I regret voting Buhari in 2015.... Such a disaster

I wish my eyes were open then

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Hollusilva28(m): 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2020
Mother fucker at it again. A ti ko ifa n le. They have started another bad and harmful agenda to humanity existence. APC government and Buhari are bunch of fools. Can something good come out of APC nazareth.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Adrian9(m): 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2020
ASUU still dey strike, dem no send!
God forbid! Which kind wickedness be this? Why should I not hate Nigeria with all of these? A confused country that is carrying out the devil's wishes on it's citizens.
What is classified as hate speech will shock any believer in democracy! It is a calculated move to silence whoever criticises their policies. Is it a crime to hate evil?
People are owed monies, the economy is sinking, yet somehow there is money for this nonsense?
I HATE NIGERIA! Make una come carry me!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2020
Too small.. Hate speech is way more dangerous than it seems.. It has led to genocide, war, crisis, distrust, and even anarchy..

Nigeria really needs to fight this menace especially on social media, like Facebook, Twitter, Nairaland, etc.. before it consumes us... That amount is too small to achieve this.. We should be talking billions, not millions..

Nigeria go better...

XXXXTENTACION:
Too bad embarassed

no more free speech under buhari.

you will always remember me for the freedom you enjoyed under me. -----Goodluck Jonathan.

My brother, there is free speech. But no more hate speech. Hate speech is very dangerous, don't downplay it. The result could be catastrophic..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Raydos: 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2020
Smh just take a look at the priority of the Government, Spending that much money on this when we're having more pressing issues in the country!

Poverty, Epileptic power, bad roads infact the list is endless

And this is what they choosed to spend money on, What's wrong with Black man??

Something is surely wrong with Black people!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by sunshineV(f): 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2020
how will they use money to tackle hate speech?

1 Like

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Zyxzzzz: 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2020
fvcked up country

Useless leaders
Useless old men

4 Likes

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Coldie(m): 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2020
As far as its not a one sided fight then we are okay.

1 Like

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by nwakibie3(m): 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2020
which kind wahala be this

3 Likes

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by Quelme: 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2020
SARS, robbers for day time. Armed robbers, robbers for night. But the oga kpatakpata of dem all na Federal government, robbers both day and night. Federal government carry CBN inside agbada....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Budgets N336m To Fight Hate Speech And Fake News by ODJ124(m): 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2020
NAwa oh..

I feel so Happy by tonight victory of APC...

like if u Happy for the victory....

share otherwise..

Thread seen....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Joshua Dariye Decamps To APC / Don't Protest Or Rally In My Name — Igboho Warns From Beninese Prison / Buhari Placed Travel Bans On El-zakzaky And His Wife - Shi'ites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.