Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims (14928 Views)

Sanwo-olu Bans RTEAN In Lagos, Sets Up Caretaker Committee / EndSARS: Lagos Panel Awards Another ₦91 Million To Police Brutality Victims / Lagos Sets Up Special Team To Stop Street Begging, Hawking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by cardoctor(m): 7:31am On Oct 14, 2020
200million Naira for over 2million victims. Una try.
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by holaralph(m): 7:34am On Oct 14, 2020
REMOVE ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH END SARS IN YOUR PHONES NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't ignore. Read through and warn your children.
Just as I left the hospital

Before I got to the intersection.

They pulled before us in a black Toyota Sienna.

Blocking us from moving further.

These men.

In black and blue jeans.

And black tight t-shirts.

Heavily armed.

Sunglasses as usual.

Climbed out of the vehicle.

My driver exhaled heavily.

"These people again."

Eight men.

Two moved toward the Taxify.

Gun raised.

Cocking their rifles as though they had caught some criminals.

I sat calmly.

If you are a young man who frequents Taxify or Uber in Lagos, you'd probably get used to that embarrassment.

I had nothing with me just my phone.

And the medication I had gotten from the hospital.

I was so weak.

Massive headache.

While they approached I asked my driver.

"Who are those guys?"

"Haaa. Bros, na SARS o."

I said.

"I thought they have banned these guys?"

He looked at me.

"For wia. Na today?"

I sighed.

The two approached one on each side of the car. I kept my hands in plain sight and made no sudden moves.

One of the men shouted at my driver.

"You no go wind down? Abi you want us to beg you?"

The Taxify driver quickly hit the window button as he screamed forcing a smile.

"Aaah officer of the law no vex, sir! I throw way salute."

The one who had shouted approached my window.

I was looking away.

He shouted.

"Oga, you no dey greet person abi you no see us?"

I slowly turned my head and looked at him.

"Officer, good afternoon, sir."

"Afternoon. Who are you?"

I was about to answer.

He shouted.

"Oga, come down?!"

One of his folks standing a few steps away shouted.

"Who be dis person wey no dey hear us? Na one of those protesters? Devil go welcome am for hell now if he be one of those protesters."

He cocked his gun and approached my Taxify.

It was a lonely road.

No onlookers.

A few cars passed by the other side of the lane.

I gently got down from the car.

I greeted again.

Both of them.

"Officers, good afternoon, sir."

My driver came out and said.

"Na my passenger! I pick am from that hospital down the road."

The one who had asked me who I am shouted at him.

"Shut up! Did we ask you anything? You dey mad? Your moda!"

Then he turned to me.

"Oga, who are you?"

"My name is Kyrian Chiemelie, sir."

"What do you do? Wetin dey your pocket?"

"I am a writer, sir."

"Journalist?"

"No, sir. Author, scriptwriter, filmmaker, sir."

"Oga, wetin dey your pocket?"

"My phone, sir."

"Bring it out."

I dug out my phone.

"Unlock it."

"Why?"

The other one shouted attracting the rest, pointing his gun at him.

"You are asking us questions? Are you stupid?"

I said.

"No, sir. But none of you has the right to search my phone. I didn't do anything wrong."

One shouted, running toward us.

"Who dey yarn that rubbish? Na one of the protesters? Shoot the modafuvker!"

The other one said.

"We never know na when we search him phone we go know."

The Taxify driver said to me.

"Please, unlock your phone. You know what is going on already."

The one pointing rifle at me shouted.

Eyes widened.

Dark lips.

Unsmiling face.

"Oga, unlock your phone for the last time!"

As I used my fingerprint he snatched my phone from me immediately.

Handed it to the last folk who approached us.

He seemed to be the leader.

He started to go through my phone as he said.

"What did you say you do again?"

"I am a filmmaker, sir."

"Actor?"

I shook my head.

"Basically writing."

He looked at me.

"You look tired."

I said.

"I just dey come back from the hospital. The one down there."

"Wetin dey do you? COVID-19?"

"No, sir. Na stress and little sickness. My doctor has given me some tablets, I will be fine in a couple of days."

As he scrolled through my phone the others watched.

Gun pointed up, down. A few at me.

I remained chilled.

He asked.

"And you are not one of the end SARS protesters."

I remained silent.

One of them moved toward me as though he wanted to hit me his rifle.

I dodged.

"Oga, dey ask you, you dey ignore am."

The man said.

"Leave am. Make I see end SARS pictures on his phone first and he is gone with the gun."

I was still silent.

A few minutes later.

One said to the one with my phone.

"Oga, did you see any pictures of end SARS on his phone?"

"I never see one."

I said.

"Sir, can I go, please? There is nothing on my phone."

He looked at me.

"Are you teaching us our job?"

"Not at all, sir. But there is nothing on my phone. My doctor said I should not stand too long."

Two laughed.

"You dey tell us na. We wey no get doctor make we die. We wey dey use chamist cure our infection and malaria."

I didn't say a word.

One of them approached me and showed me some images on his phone.

Dead bodies.

Fresh corpses of youth, both male and female.

Lying by the bush.

Blood gushing from bullet wounds.

I looked at him, in fear.

He said.

"Shey dem dey shout end SARS we no dey catch anybody again o. But na make we see pictures of end SARS for person phone the person is gone. Dis ones wey you dey see so na some of the protesters o. Shey dey don die like dis? Dey will keep dying."

One shouted at him.

"Why you dey tell am this thing? Why you dey leak our secret? Do you know who he is?"

"Shey he talk say na filmmaker? He won't do anything."

Goosebumps rushed over me.

In actuality of how these guys are killing in reckless abandon.

The one with my phone said.

"I no see anything for him phone. He is free to go."

He handed my phone back to me.

Then said.

I took my phone and said.

"Thank you."

As I headed back to the Taxify, a Lexus Jeep was approaching behind us.

They rushed immediately and flew it to stop.

The Taxify driver got in and we started to drive off.

While I looked behind, watching as they dragged five guys out of the car.

About three wore t-shirts.

Boldly written 'EndSARS'.

The Taxify turned right at the intersection and I couldn't see anymore.

He shouted.

"Ah. These people are in trouble."

But I heard it barely ten seconds later.

It was loud from a distance.

Pooo!

Pooo!!

Pooo!!!

Three gunshots.

These guys are evil, I repeat very evil, kindly delete anything that has to do with ''ENDSARS''in your phone ����

Ikeja

Kyrian Chiemelie Offor
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by Trustedpro: 7:34am On Oct 14, 2020
Nigerians are SARS in nature especially when you give them power.
End SARS should be applied in all sectors in this country for Nigeria to gain positive growth. The different between some of us and SARS is the gun.

Nigerians we need a rebirth.
This rebirth starts with every Nigerian.
It is a decision we will make individually and collectively.
However, individually first.

Think for a moment about the person you honour and regard most in life,
Now make a decision to treat everyone like that.
That is how to build a great nation.

I wouldn’t join anyone to say #EndSARS.
I will rather say end the Nigerian madness.

If we end SARS, are we going to also end the Nigerian police force?
Are we going to end our doctors?
Are we going to end the lecturers too?
Are we going to end the nurses?
Are we going to end the politicians and Pastors?
Are we going to end our civil service who treat other Nigerians like dung?
Are we going to end the artisans lying and cheating?
Are we going to end brutality of house maids?
Are we going to end teachers insensitive to students?

Are we going to end Nigeria?

. Transforming Nigeria begins with every citizen learning civility and becoming a decent human being.

It begins with you and I.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by RealEzee(m): 7:34am On Oct 14, 2020
ogbonti:
Are you guys noticing something

Buhari and Osibanjo's daughters are protesting against SARS - because Buhari and Osinbajo are acting like SARS is above their power

Davido and other artist are protesting against SARZ - and the IG in the meeting almost played a victim of the SARS menace

Now Lagos State Governor Sanwo - Olu is carrying a placard to campaign against SARS like he is a victim residing at Okokomaiko

Small thing sef, all the traditional rulers in Nigeria will protest the SARS menace like they too are victims too. But wait a minute,

Nigerians - wait a minute - can you all see the game the elites are playing on the masses?

They are all dreading the much talked about [REVOLUTION-NOW] and they are seeing the hand writing on the wall that if this protest is not fully
controlled, it will lead to the youth demanding the head of those who have impoverished the country and most of them will not be spared

I will like this protest to continue so that fundamental issues like the breakdown of law and order in Nigeria, killings by herdsmen, non conclusive prosecution of know kleptomaniac politicians like Babachir and others can be re-ignited

THE ELITES HAVE DEMONSTRATED BY THEIR JITTERY STATE THAT THEY KNOW POWER BELONGS TO THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE AND JUST THAT WE HAVE ALLOWED THE LIKES OF FEMI ADESINA AND LAI MOHAMMED - to whip fear into us with their so called hate speech bill

Countrymen - demand for a total overhaul of the system right now - we will not stop until corrupt politicians return the loot and jailed and such returned loot must be disbursed to all Nigerians as bank alerts within a month - even if the money ends up to be N500 each to every Nigerian- no wahala as long as na we the people eat the money ---- MY PEOPLE, now that they are feeling the heat, it is time to double down to TOTAL OVERHAUL OF THE SYSTEM!!!!!

they're really scared bud

1 Like

Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by 36STATES: 7:35am On Oct 14, 2020
A very wonderful take on what is going on right now.

ogbonti:
Are you guys noticing something

Buhari and Osibanjo's daughters are protesting against SARS - because Buhari and Osinbajo are acting like SARS is above their power

Davido and other artist are protesting against SARZ - and the IG in the meeting almost played a victim of the SARS menace

Now Lagos State Governor Sanwo - Olu is carrying a placard to campaign against SARS like he is a victim residing at Okokomaiko

Small thing sef, all the traditional rulers in Nigeria will protest the SARS menace like they too are victims too. But wait a minute,

Nigerians - wait a minute - can you all see the game the elites are playing on the masses?

They are all dreading the much talked about [REVOLUTION-NOW] and they are seeing the hand writing on the wall that if this protest is not fully
controlled, it will lead to the youth demanding the head of those who have impoverished the country and most of them will not be spared

I will like this protest to continue so that fundamental issues like the breakdown of law and order in Nigeria, killings by herdsmen, non conclusive prosecution of know kleptomaniac politicians like Babachir and others can be re-ignited

THE ELITES HAVE DEMONSTRATED BY THEIR JITTERY STATE THAT THEY KNOW POWER BELONGS TO THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE AND JUST THAT WE HAVE ALLOWED THE LIKES OF FEMI ADESINA AND LAI MOHAMMED - to whip fear into us with their so called hate speech bill

Countrymen - demand for a total overhaul of the system right now - we will not stop until corrupt politicians return the loot and jailed and such returned loot must be disbursed to all Nigerians as bank alerts within a month - even if the money ends up to be N500 each to every Nigerian- no wahala as long as na we the people eat the money ---- MY PEOPLE, now that they are feeling the heat, it is time to double down to TOTAL OVERHAUL OF THE SYSTEM!!!!!

1 Like

Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by Joker09(m): 7:43am On Oct 14, 2020
Akanimoh113:
Please Guys I need 5k. My Birthday is coming up soon smiley on the 16th of this month.
I'll be very Grateful. Thank You

Birthday of all things? Damn! You're so shameless!. Nobody owes u here guy.
Some of us are even too busy to celebrate our birthdays. U for come up with a better reason, mtchww.
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by RealEzee(m): 7:45am On Oct 14, 2020
I'm having mixed feelings about this approach tho, it's ok to set up a compensation fund but really this matter isn't really about money but a request of total reform, throwing money to solve problems seems like a distractive tool, cos wait a sec where was this monies during the early stages of the covid sef, y'all wanna divide the movement with money? Hmm
Why don't they improve the welfare of the security force with this money, body cams!!! We need them to be accountable for their activities!
These police don't even know this protest really favors them as they can seek improved welfare.

Justice for those killed and maltreated, we want to see erring security personnel persecuted and justice served, compensate us with money after that!!
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by goshen26: 7:49am On Oct 14, 2020
Paying victims is not enough, bring the senseless police officers to book
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by uzoexcel(m): 7:51am On Oct 14, 2020
Akanimoh113:
Please Guys I need 5k. My Birthday is coming up soon smiley on the 16th of this month.
I'll be very Grateful. Thank You
why not ask people to help u with a job..so you. c5sn celebrate your birthday without begging
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by Akanimoh113(m): 8:06am On Oct 14, 2020
EXOUSIAng:

Look at your priority, this is why you are needing 5k. Continue like this and you will remain poor for life.
You don't NEED 5K you WANT 5K, the earlier you get your priorities right the better for you, those were get money how many birthday them dey do, when last you hear say Dangote, Bill gate, Adenuga dey do birthday

Because I want 5k and I put the word "Need" doesn't mean that I'll remain poor. Those that have the Knowledge lack the Resources. Those that have the Resources may not see the Bigger picture or Main point in the Picture.

"You don't NEED 5K you WANT 5K, the earlier you get your priorities right the better for you, those were get money how many birthday them dey do, when last you hear say Dangote, Bill gate, Adenuga dey do birthday" Just Keep it to Your Self

Mind you my Priority is not the 5k, I don't care if you give it to me or not . The Question is... Do You Care To Give?
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by Akanimoh113(m): 8:11am On Oct 14, 2020
Joker09:

Birthday of all things? Damn! You're so shameless!. Nobody owes u here guy.
Some of us are even too busy to celebrate our birthdays. U for come up with a better reason, mtchww.
Even if I came up with Something different would you or anyone had listened. You'd just Ignore and Say A lot of Nasty things in your mind sad
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by Akanimoh113(m): 8:18am On Oct 14, 2020
uzoexcel:

why not ask people to help u with a job..so you. c5sn celebrate your birthday without begging
The Reason why I didn't Ask for a Job; I don't have a Smartphone to Satisfy my Employer.
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by sammysmiles(m): 8:20am On Oct 14, 2020
cardoctor:
200million Naira for over 2million victims. Una try.
How did you come up with the stats 2million victims
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by Misterdhee1(m): 8:23am On Oct 14, 2020
Davash222:
Tinubu go don commot 190 Million Naira from that money. We’re left with just 10 million Naira.

One of the reasons we rejected him in Edo State.
Despite not having Tinubu to chop una money, Edo state is still absolutely nothing to write home about.
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by EXOUSIAng: 8:28am On Oct 14, 2020
Akanimoh113:

Because I want 5k and I put the word "Need" doesn't mean that I'll remain poor. Those that have the Knowledge lack the Resources. Those that have the Resources may not see the Bigger picture or Main point in the Picture.

"You don't NEED 5K you WANT 5K, the earlier you get your priorities right the better for you, those were get money how many birthday them dey do, when last you hear say Dangote, Bill gate, Adenuga dey do birthday" Just Keep it to Your Self

Mind you my Priority is not the 5k, I don't care if you give it to me or not . The Question is... Do You Care To Give?

I give to those with real needs, if you have the relevant knowledge you would have asked for something that can get you out of your situation.
So you think you have knowledge, stay there and be begging for 5k for birthday...
And that you are begging for 5k for birthday shows you don't even have a picture at all. I last celebrated my birthday in 2015,and that was cos someone was throwing me a party. You think its cos I lack money to throw a party every year
Forget it even if given money for capital seeing that your priority is in things like birthday I am very sure you will blow it.
na your type dey get 2M for account comot 1M go buy car.... wéré wan show off
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by Akanimoh113(m): 8:38am On Oct 14, 2020
EXOUSIAng:

I give to those with real needs, if you have the relevant knowledge you would have asked for something that can get you out of your situation.
So you think you have knowledge, stay there and be begging for 5k for birthday...
And that you are begging for 5k for birthday shows you don't even have a picture at all. I last celebrated my birthday in 2015,and that was cos someone was throwing me a party. You think its cos I lack money to throw a party every year
Forget it even if given money for capital seeing that your priority is in things like birthday I am very sure you will blow it.
na your type dey get 2M for account comot 1M go buy car.... wéré wan show off

My type no de cumot 1M go buy car to Show off...
Even if I Asked for a better Capital to get me out of my situation. Would you have listened, Would you have Looked at my Thread?
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by orisa37: 8:49am On Oct 14, 2020
Good
ADAMU should refund the money to Lagos State.
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by leisuretym: 9:07am On Oct 14, 2020
the have lost more than that from the tollgate , they are smart business men
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by LOVELYSKINZNEW(f): 9:12am On Oct 14, 2020
D office where d money dey go soon burn grin
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by okafor200(m): 9:28am On Oct 14, 2020
Please Nairalanders I Need Your Helps! i really want to become a billionaire.
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by Butoneday2(m): 9:45am On Oct 14, 2020
Many people will now come out so that police will chop dem because of this compensation?

Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by Darlyton: 10:11am On Oct 14, 2020
Kudos to sanwo olu, I have really been impress with how he has handled this protest so far, better than most governors.
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by Niseed(m): 10:15am On Oct 14, 2020
Another palliative. How much is N200 million ?? Thats how much they spend on 2 or 3 cars. A local government chairman can even raise this amount ...nonsense
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by EMMY76: 11:43am On Oct 14, 2020
Did he take permission from his master tinibu before deciding to set up this #200m fund? undecided
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by luluman: 12:25pm On Oct 14, 2020
Davash222:
Tinubu go don commot 190 Million Naira from that money. We’re left with just 10 million Naira.

One of the reasons we rejected him in Edo State.
Edo no bi lagos
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by EXOUSIAng: 7:34pm On Oct 14, 2020
Akanimoh113:

My type no de cumot 1M go buy car to Show off...
Even if I Asked for a better Capital to get me out of my situation. Would you have listened, Would you have Looked at my Thread?
We would never know now, would we??
cos you are more interested in celebrating your birthday
Re: EndSARS: Lagos Sets Up ₦200m Compensation Fund For Police Brutality Victims by franklingud(m): 9:11pm On Oct 14, 2020
If we are talking about compensating families that have suffered police brutality, then I should be among because police killed my father too.
Back in 1998, when I was 12.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Delta Killings: Military Sets To Build Barracks In Okuama / N'delta Militants Might Return To The Creeks, Clark Warns Buhari / Bakare: Empty Treasury Made Buhari To Appoint Ministers Late

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.