Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,429 members, 7,800,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

From Nigeria To Hockey Pro - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / From Nigeria To Hockey Pro (822 Views)

Women's Hockey Team Strip Off As They Practice Their Drills 4 Charity ( Photo ) / Nigerian Hockey Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

From Nigeria To Hockey Pro by Mamajama(m): 6:32pm On Jun 24, 2007
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Getaway day at the NHL draft ended up being the highlight of Akim "The Dream" Aliu's young life.

Born in Nigeria, raised in Ukraine, moved to Canada when he was 11, and then shuttled to Sudbury, Ontario, to play juniors a year ago, Aliu was picked by the Chicago Blackhawks in the second round on the second day of the NHL draft on Saturday.

Long after history was made in Friday night's first round when Patrick Kane (Chicago) and James vanRiemsdyk (Philadelphia) became the first Americans to be picked 1-2, Aliu finally heard his name mentioned before a thinning crowd at Nationwide Arena.

"My dad didn't see a hockey rink until he was 40 years old," said Aliu, who wants to become just the second Nigerian to play in the NHL. "My mom grew up in Russia, but hockey wasn't really part of her life, her culture. They're happy about what I'm doing right now. I'm happy for what I'm doing too."

Rounds two through seven of the 211-player draft rolled by, with most of the picks drawing little more than polite applause from family members. Teams didn't take the later rounds lightly, however

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-nhldraft&prov=ap&type=lgns
Re: From Nigeria To Hockey Pro by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:57am On Jun 25, 2007
Congrats, Im not a big hockey fan, but im going to be looking out for this kid. Let's see if he can be as good as fellow half-Nigerian Jerome Iginla
Re: From Nigeria To Hockey Pro by DisGuy: 3:20am On Jun 25, 2007
Goodluck mate, crack a skull cool

(1) (Reply)

Amodu Gets N27,000,000,amokachi Gets N20,500,000 ,players Gets N13,500,000 Each / Hot! - Wayne Rooney Plans To Use Secret Talisman To Score 1st Goal For England! / Nigerian Footballers Bribed Coaches To Play In Matches....clemens Westerhof

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.