Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,352 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil (13804 Views)

Buhari Defies Rain In Cross River, Shuns Helicopter / Jonathan Defies INEC- Deploys Presidential Jets For Campaigns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by mrtidy(m): 5:55pm On Mar 08, 2011
@Ajanlekoko
True talk

See how we're screaming over spilled milk, The days of Nigeria's greatness are history. let those who hold the light shine forth. Nigeria is in the dark and the earlier we do something to come out the better rather than grovelling over lost glory
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Whiteb(m): 5:57pm On Mar 08, 2011
Giant indeed
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:57pm On Mar 08, 2011
teeboyseve:

The bottom line in my opinion is that both country are poor countries, they are not better that each other.

come on !!!!!

even when i was at school people were put into classes according to his/her inteligent

top one in 1st class etc

3rd or 4th had either the low leaners or just dull people but still if they would right an exam you would still get a number one in that class

since you say in views there are all poor then lets reap off the title GAINT OF AFRICA
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by MyJoe: 6:09pm On Mar 08, 2011
What a thread!

The first time I saw the advert I noticed that line instantly - that, of course, because of the familiar but somewhat nonsensical statement about Nigeria being the giant of Africa. To be sure, I don't find the ad offensive as a Nigerian but I think the person that wrote it made a gaffe. The line is quite out of place in the ad and was clearly inserted by someone who wanted to tell Nigerians "something". "South Africa is truly the giant of Africa." That is, Here is one of your fellow Nigerians saying, "Nigerians, forget your claims to being the giant of Africa. South Africa is the true giant." Hardly necessary. Spoils an otherwise beautiful ad.

But it's a good thing that excessive national pride is not a problem with Nigerians the way it is generally with South Africans and people of some other countries.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by teeboyseve(m): 6:18pm On Mar 08, 2011
ZIM DRILL:

come on !!!!!

even when i was at school people were put into classes according to his/her inteligent

top one in 1st class etc

3rd or 4th had either the low leaners or just dull people but still if they would right an exam you would still get a number one in that class

since you say in views there are all poor then lets reap off the title GAINT OF AFRICA

When I was at school we use grades not positions.

I wasn't good at Mathematics but my best friend was very good at Mathematics.
I was very good at Biology but my best friend wasn't good at Biology.

SA has a good Economy, but Nigeria doesn't.
Nigeria has a good Defence, but SA doesn't.

I was still in the same class with my friend for 6 years.
SA is in the same class as Nigeria (3rd World)

I will only believe my friend was better that me if he got a promotion into senior class before me.
Nigeria will only believe SA is a better country if SA gets promoted into a 2nd world.

NOTE : All of the above statement was in my opinion.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:22pm On Mar 08, 2011
teeboyseve:

When I was at school we use grades not positions.

I wasn't good at Mathematics but my best friend was very good at Mathematics.
I was very good at Biology but my best friend wasn't good at Biology.

SA has a good Economy, but Nigeria doesn't.
Nigeria has a good Defence, but SA doesn't.

I was still in the same class with my friend for 6 years.
SA is in the same class as Nigeria (3rd World)

I will only believe my friend was better that me if he got a promotion into senior class before me.
Nigeria will only believe SA is a better country if SA gets promoted into a 2nd world.

NOTE : All of the above statement was in my opinion.

the grade is there AFRICA                 hence AFRICA GAINT

still there was number one when subjects are combined

position is grades/class are not awarded per subject but overall subjects

then a special awards for the ones who got the highest mark on a subject on that overall grade/class (eg zimbabwe has the highest literacy in africa)

dream on nigeria having good defence and south africa not having

south africa has its own defence industry  they make their own and sell to other countries

if you got time read this http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/rsa/industry.htm

http://www.ivema.co.za/

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-09-17/world/south.africa.defense.industry_1_mine-protected-vehicle-hits-defense-industry?_s=PM:WORLD
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 08, 2011
Come to think of it, what makes Nigeria the Giant of Africa? Is it just its population?
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by teeboyseve(m): 6:31pm On Mar 08, 2011
ZIM DRILL:

the grade is there AFRICA                 hence AFRICA GAINT

In my opinion none of them deserves that position. they are both silly countries. No country in Africa has shown they are better than the other.

there is poverty every where in Africa and little economy growth. No African country has a balanced Economy in terms of Wealth and Poverty.

Any country that deserves that position need to show atleast 50/50 balance in Wealth and Poverty. But right now poverty in most African countries is between 91% to 96%. LOL and they what to be called Giant of Africa.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by teeboyseve(m): 6:33pm On Mar 08, 2011
The first African country to get out of poverty will be called the Giant of Africa.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:39pm On Mar 08, 2011
teeboyseve:

The first African country to get out of poverty will be called the Giant of Africa.

all am saying is lets give credit where it is due and besides you always start from somewhere to be on top
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by sammytb(m): 7:08pm On Mar 08, 2011
Imagine, It so pathetic, it even went on both local & international tv,
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Nobody: 7:11pm On Mar 08, 2011
Only a wise man can understand the true impact of that advert, I don't know how anyone can say that advert is ok
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by dejavume: 7:17pm On Mar 08, 2011
Weather nigeria is giant or not.Nigeria made one of the biggest impact in SA lives during their apathy regime.We made enormous contribution in Africa without being told.If SA have gained freedom in 60s do u think they would have gone far like this.The main SA citizens are lazy.Check the population of those suffering in SA.What made SA giant of Africa if the government give free ticket during world cup,when the citizen cant afford it.
Nigeria may not be doing well in economic aspect but We have our stand in Africa.
Long Live Federal Republic Of Nigeria
Long live Nigerians
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by poweredcom(m): 7:23pm On Mar 08, 2011
Good for Nigeria, yeye country, we we dey
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:28pm On Mar 08, 2011
teeboyseve:

In my opinion none of them deserves that position. they are both silly countries. No country in Africa has shown they are better than the other.

there is poverty every where in Africa and little economy growth. No African country has a balanced Economy in terms of Wealth and Poverty.

Any country that deserves that position need to show atleast 50/50 balance in Wealth and Poverty. But right now poverty in most African countries is between 91% to 96%. LOL and they what to be called Giant of Africa.

cool we have different views to the subject
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by OlokoNla1(m): 7:33pm On Mar 08, 2011
Weather nigeria is giant or not.Nigeria made one of the biggest impact in SA lives during their apathy regime.We made enormous contribution in Africa without being told.If SA have gained freedom in 60s do u think they would have gone far like this.The main SA citizens are lazy.Check the population of those suffering in SA.What made SA giant of Africa if the government give free ticket during world cup,when the citizen cant afford it.
Nigeria may not be doing well in economic aspect but We have our stand in Africa.
Long Live Federal Republic Of Nigeria
Long live Nigerians

u r obviously very delusional, Nigeria giant of Africa my arse!

1 Like

Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by hackney(m): 7:34pm On Mar 08, 2011
That slogan of being "the giant of africa" was just to make nigerians feel good
about  themselves and nothing more.

Nigeria has never been the best at anything tangible in africa.
Apart from the poulation (which is even a hindrance in many ways), nigeria is not even top 5
in africa when it comes to effective economy size, welfare or infrastructure.

So at what was nigeria a giant? ?
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by sammirano: 7:36pm On Mar 08, 2011
Nigeria, Giant of Africa my foot. not with the Murderers we call our government.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Jairzinho(m): 7:38pm On Mar 08, 2011
I also have my concerns as per that ad.

She didn't have to say that,I doubt it was scripted.

No matter how bad your country is,you don't say such things. . .

Having said that everybody is certainly free to say what they want as long as no law is broken.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by playmode(m): 7:40pm On Mar 08, 2011
This commercial is not an easy one to judge. The first time i watched this ad I was angry. Mind you, I am a Nigerian living in SA but I could not stand the fact that they had included that sentence in the advert. This advert instantly reminds me of the movie district 9 and several other movies (Jerusalema e.t.c) where SA producers directly or indirectly take jabs at Nigeria and Nigerians.

I think the producers of this commercial could have used another set of words to describe SA’s greatness without using the exact words “Giant of Africa”. The fact that the statement was made by a Nigerian makes the commercial suspect.

Furthermore , the fact that she included the word “actually”  or "truly" in her sentence insinuates that people wrongly believe that another country (Nigeria) is the giant of Africa.

Only GOD knows the true intentions of the producers, it could have been a honest mistake even though I seriously doubt that.

Having said that, situations like this should make us reflect on the current situation of our country and the kind of leaders we pay allegiance to. Many of the Nigerians on this thread crying foul about this advert are the same people supporting Jonathief in a do or die manner.

If we as a nation improve our own situation ,citizens of countries like SA will think twice before making fun of us or taking jabs at us.

Finally South African producers and journalist do not represent true south Africans. I work with true South Africans everyday and they have nothing but love for me. Once in a blue moon, you get the racist white or xenophobic black south African but  majority of south Africans are generally friendly and easy to get along with.

If you don’t offend them in anyway or commit crimes in their neighbourhood, you are welcome to stay in their midst as long as you wish. Don’t be fooled by media propaganda,  Saffers are very nice people.

Ask the over 1 million Nigerians currently living SA ,at least 500,000 Nigerians are married to SA women and work with SA peeps on a daily basis. Most of the Nigerians who get treated badly here are criminals (usually drug dealers)who have engaged in one crime or another and that is a FACT!

1 Like

Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 08, 2011
I wonder why we Nigerians will see the truth and still chose to follow falsehood. Nigeria is the giant of Africa only in Population and corruption. We are not even qualified  to be ranked among the first 3 giants of Africa. These are my top 3 giants;
            1. South Africa
            2. Egypt
            3. Ghana
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by osifred(m): 8:02pm On Mar 08, 2011
dude above at best u can be describe as disillusional
Ghana cant neva beat nigeria for a third position

@poster u r indeed patrotic
but i have alway ask the question
how come Nigeria is called the Giant of Africa
is it a self acclaimed titled?
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by hollyjolly: 8:02pm On Mar 08, 2011
The day i saw the advert i was not happy,its a swipe againt Nigeria, and to think that Nigerians where the ones who featured on it.All you people who open your mouth and condemn Nigeria at any opportunity, shame on you all .
south africa can not stand when Nigeria talk ,we may not be perfect but we are on the way.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by orbaxy(m): 8:31pm On Mar 08, 2011
I think the definition of "Giant of Africa" is a subjective one.

Firstly, you should understand that the representative Africa in the eye of the world is Black Africa which happens to be dominated by Nigeria.
Economically, SA maybe leading Nigeria but in terms of Human Resource and representation in world affairs, Nigeria still top other African Community.
Come to the Middle East, any black man here is called Nigerian! why, because thats the Africa they know.

Crime, Nigeria. Headline, Nigeria. Wayo, Nigeria. just mention it. I think the world "Giant" is a representation, an Identity which is perceived as domineering.
Haven't you noticed, even the SA you talk about is dominated by Nigeria. Right now, Hollywood has adopted "Nigeria" as the "bad-guy domain" in Africa.
We are still the Giants brother
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by scholes0(m): 8:33pm On Mar 08, 2011
to make it easy for some people to understand the question

lets try to sub divide the GAINTNESS i.e

ECONOMY

DEVELOPMENT

TECHNOLOGY

AGRICULTURE

INFRASTRATURE etc   put those two countries ONE on ONE

Some people shift goal post for them to win example one said "the economy is not in black peoples hands" we dont care about that we are comparing totals thats it

What kind of ''Yeye' post is this from a Zim man{Or woman}.
How can a country like South African be the Giant of Africa, when the bulk of the economy is controlled by {White Africans cheesy}??  
Is this the role model u prescribe for other African counbtries?? Dont we all know what happened and is still happening  in your country concerning this issue,  .
     Believe me , In most of those criteria you listed, Nigeria is on her way, and has been doing pretty well since 1999/2000 , compared to our wasted military years, the economy has been growing at an average of 7% y/y since then.
When Nigeria and South Africa both completely sort out their problems, then we can revisit this topic again,  As for now, Nigeria is the GIANT OF AFRICA, Because We made the claim to the title first!!!!.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Diplenty(m): 9:08pm On Mar 08, 2011
Make una dey there dey feel cool!!! I'm posting from SA on few days business trip. Each time I visit, I cant but wonder what made Nigerians so cocky about being giants of Africa

Maybe you will have to count South & some other countries as europe before Nigeria go fit contest 'giantship

1 Like

Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:18pm On Mar 08, 2011
scholes0:

What kind of ''Yeye' post is this from a Zim man{Or woman}.
How can a country like South African be the Giant of Africa, when the bulk of the economy is controlled by {White Africans cheesy}??  
Is this the role model u prescribe for other African counbtries?? Dont we all know what happened and is still happening  in your country concerning this issue,  .
     Believe me , In most of those criteria you listed, Nigeria is on her way, and has been doing pretty well since 1999/2000 , compared to our wasted military years, the economy has been growing at an average of 7% y/y since then.
When Nigeria and South Africa both completely sort out their problems, then we can revisit this topic again,  As for now, Nigeria is the GIANT OF AFRICA, Because We made the claim to the title first!!!!.

typical nigerian to change goal post in order to win

like i said to someone

jamaican labour built the london underground so the brits shouldnt brag about having one the good underground transport in the world?

chinese labour built the american railways so US shouldnt brag about having good railway system

angola is developing becoz of the oil revenue so we shouldnt give the credit to development becoz money is coming from  oil multinational ?

the same with nigeria some of the development is owed to oil (multinationals) so we shouldnt give you the credit becoz of the involvement of the multinational who are whites in this case ?

USA shouldnt be given its credit becoz there where british in the 1st place ?

the list goes on and on

dont be daft ----- where you come to end in thinking thats where i start

Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by julioralph(m): 9:33pm On Mar 08, 2011
alright we're not d giant of africa, but i believe it's not proper for a nigerian to label SA as such.
i think d free trip+pocket money dey shark d IJEBU woman!
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by lagcity(m): 10:08pm On Mar 08, 2011
i see a lot of ppl talking abt infrastructure, electricity and whatnot. we call Nigeria the giant of Africa because of its importance on the continent not because we have great power supply or fancy buildings. Nigeria despite all its hiccups is still very important. that's why Nigeria deserves that title.

the Nigerian in the commercial is entitled to her own opinion. but biko na real yawa ooo.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by scholes0(m): 10:24pm On Mar 08, 2011
^^ Ok, Zim Man,
Typicam Zim man, making Straw man Illustrations.
Jamaicans built the London Subway-[B] BUT THEY DONT CONTROL THE BULK OF THE ECONOMY - INFACT, THEY DONT EVEN CONTROL THE VERY RAIL SYSTEM THEY BUILT[/B]
Chinese Not only Helped in developing American infrastructure, but they are investing heavily in the American economy [B]BUT THEY DONT CONTROL THE ECONOMY EITHER[/B]- Not even close to it.
  I for one am not against Foreign Involvement in local economies, Yes, U were right Some developments in Nigeria and other countries around the world comes from multinationals, But Hey ZIMBO, The overwheming bulk of our Naija economy is controlled by Native Nigerians, and we are no 2nd class citizens to any Racial minority in our own country, Yes we have problems , but at least our problems are caused by us, and we are try to get them solved.
And who is shifting the goalie to get a point driven through I  am simply asking u If u would be happy if the biggest economy on  ''Lala'' continent is being controlled by racial minoroties,  U are there Bleepoing thrash. Arent u a Black African, for god sakes
    Anyways, I have nothing on u, every man on his own!! Mind u, Africans like [B]US[/B] can smile again, cause Naija is rising!!! {and we own what we have---} and as we are doing so, With GRACE & LEGAL PRIDE!!!  cool cool ,  I dont know about Africans like Yourself.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by Nobody: 10:36pm On Mar 08, 2011
MY dear brothers and sisters, the very fact that a lot of you are angry is proof enough that Nigeria is no longer the Giant of Africa. If Nigeria were still the Giant of Africa, it would be incontrovertible and there would be no need to argue in her defense. Assume that some said that China is God's Own Country or North Korea is the Land of the Free, then most, if not all, Americans would laugh because of the absurdity of such a claim. It is good to be patriotic, but better to be realistic.
Re: South Africa Defies Nigeria On Nigerian Soil by scholes0(m): 10:44pm On Mar 08, 2011
^^^ LMAO, See this Funny man.
In a populace of over 650,000 N /landers, there will surely be the Queer, different and Most importantly, Mis-informed. Most of us are Here to bash Nigeria anyway, {But hey, the above topic wont go scot free cheesy}
  Maybe the Naijas Doubting arre ones like yourself.  cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

ACF, CPC, CNPP, & Some Nigerians Defend Buhari's Statement / Buhari Fails To Award National Honours In Two Years / Full Text Of Bola Tinubu’s Speech At His 67th Birthday Colloquium In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.