Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned (24824 Views)

ASUU/FG Meeting Today 28-10-2020? / Goodnews : ASUU call off strike. Funny Twitter Reaction On ASUU And FG Meeting / ASUU And FG Meeting Inconclusive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:33am On Oct 16, 2020
TGM2015:

First thing first. You give and other accept or reject. If you say you don't give because people will not accept, the first question will be how many people have you given something and they rejected.

In this case, I am talking about ASUU determination to force the government, their employer, to accept their solutions on how they will be paid. So, if we assume ASUU has been providing solutions to Nigeria problems why not forcing the government government to accept such solutions, must the force be on issue that will benefit them only?

Bros
ASUU is just one damaged cell in the cancerous body called Nigeria,
Let's take hospitals for example, this govt told doctors to leave the country if they wanted to, that Nigeria has enough doctors,
Now we can blame the doctors for not 'forcefully' tabling their demands or ask why the govt (which is made up of civil servants) seems to be so anti people.
Isn't that a more valid question?
The useless executive/legislation just budget ridiculous amounts to themselves in the 2021 budget, a budget funded by loans

Bros let's wake up while we are still young abeg

1 Like

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:35am On Oct 16, 2020
Xixtie:

It's not about the literal meaning, it's about it's tone of usage in this context.

An inconclusive election for example doesn't mean it ended in shambles
It just means no winner has been concluded
Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by sinkhole: 7:37am On Oct 16, 2020
TGM2015:

From the post you quoted, it reads develop and push, did they push?

Anyway, for any lecturer to be relevant in his or her fields, to get to be recommended for professorship or maintain his/her professorship; they must write for research journals and publications. And the research must make sense, so, those researches you are referring to may not be for the purpose of helping the government but helping themselves to attain and maintained their career.

And again, you are referring to individual ASUU members and not ASUU as a union. Has ASUU as a union proffer solution(s) to any Nigeria problems before? If at all they have, what did they do to make it a reality? At least in the last 10 years, ASUU must have gone on strike for over 3 years accumulatively to get the government dance to their demands on what and how they MUST be paid.
On the first part, you help somebody to help yourself, that is how the world moves forward! If the individual researches merits being published in reputable international journals then I do not see reasons why our government will not setup a body to study and use some of these researches for the benefit of Nigeria.
On the second part, ASUU is not a research body, it is a union meant for the welfare of its members. ASUU also make sure that her members follow due process and ethics in the discharge of their duties. The result of the research of the individual ASUU members is to the credit of ASUU in general. ASUU as a body "does not do research" (please note my apostrophe).
Besides, do you know that there is what is called TetFund research grant? The ASUU members are to apply for this and the people that approve are not ASUU members, they people in Abuja. One of the requirement for some of the grants by TetFund is that software and hardware to be used MUST be purchased from some listed companies! Why can't the TetFund, a government body, insist that your software/hardware be locally produced?

1 Like

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by obicmag(m): 7:42am On Oct 16, 2020
*Emir Sanusi Lamido Sanusi To President Buhari:*

A Soldier salary is 49,000 forty nine thousand naira, some no accommodation they rent house outside the barrack no risk allowance instead they sleep inside bush fought to defend the Nation.

A classroom teacher with degree certificate receives 49,000 (fourty nine thousand) approximately accross the nation without good housing accommodation, acces to electricity, potable water, health care facilities and means of transportation yet you expect them to produce good engineers, bankers, lawyers, economists, architecture etc that will compete favourably with foreigners to fix the country.

Where is the change?
Change should start with the National assembly: = A Senator receives N36,000,000 (thirty-six million Naira) monthly. If this is divided into two = N18,000,000 million (Eighteen million Naira). The second half which is N18,000,000 (eighteen million Naira) can be used to employ 200 Nigerians, each earning a salary of N90,000 (ninety thousand Naira) monthly. When you multiply 200 people with the number of Senators (109), this will give 21,800 Nigerians gainful employment. In short, 200 Nigerians will be able to live a comfortable life on half a Senator’s monthly salary.
A member of the House of Representatives receives a salary of N25,000,000 (tenty-five million Naira) monthly. If this salary is divided in two = N12,500,000 (twelve million and five hundred thousand Naira). The other half, which is the sum of N12,500,000 (twelve million and five hundred thousand Naira) will be enough to employ 135 Nigerians with a monthly salary of N92.500 (ninety-two thousand and five hundred Naira) each. Nigeria has 360 Members of the House of Representatives, half of their salaries can employ 48,600 Nigerians who can live comfortable lives.

So, Buhari’s Administration can employ 70,400 Nigerians with monthly salaries ranging from N90,000 to N92.500 accordingly. This is just by dividing the salaries of Senators and Members of the House of Representatives. Half their present salaries is more than enough for them in a country where majority of Nigerians live on less than a dollar a day. (Now think of all the other over bloated salaries and allowances of Ministers and others)

You may try this idea Your Excellency, the President...

Nigerians, spread this message to Senators and Members of the House of Representatives and others ni

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2888375914560649&id=1003965463001713

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by Omezif(m): 7:44am On Oct 16, 2020
This is how they are turning things up and down without ashame in the presence of the nigerians they are ruling, this apc deserve not to be a party nigerians wanted.
Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by Lastmankc(m): 7:51am On Oct 16, 2020
I thought its only elections that is inconclusive in Nigeria?
Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by proffemi: 7:53am On Oct 16, 2020
I had to log in to respond because your post just rubs me up the wrong way.

TGM2015:
From the post you quoted, it reads develop and push, did they push?
What do you mean "push"? You mean as in force government to accept their solutions where appropriate? So now, they must not only teach and do research, but also possess government and force uptake??

Anyway, for any lecturer to be relevant in his or her fields, to get to be recommended for professorship or maintain his/her professorship; they must write for research journals and publications. And the research must make sense, so, those researches you are referring to may not be for the purpose of helping the government but helping themselves to attain and maintained their career.
Convenient way to downplay their contributions, right? You mean the research group that was the first in Africa to sequence the SARS-COV2 coronavirus did it just for promotion? Or that the COVID-19 vaccine they are about to start producing (the only one in Africa that I am aware of) is just for them and their grandmothers

And again, you are referring to individual ASUU members and not ASUU as a union. Has ASUU as a union proffer solution(s) to any Nigeria problems before? If at all they have, what did they do to make it a reality? At least in the last 10 years, ASUU must have gone on strike for over 3 years accumulatively to get the government dance to their demands on what and how they MUST be paid.
I'm sure you know what a trade union is. So I hope you don't have any unrealistic expectations.
Now for your information, over the years, ASUU has made immense contributions to the nation. If you aren't too young, then you probably know that ASUU was one of the fiercest voices of opposition to successive military juntas.

But closer to their core mandate, ASUU came up with the idea of TETFUND, one of the most innovative funding schemes for education anywhere in the world. TETFUNDis the only reason why the universities are where they are today (they would have entirely collapsed). In fact, the FG now regularly dips into TETFUND to fund all sorts of programmes that have nothing to do with tertiary education.

4 Likes

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by ofiko123(m): 7:53am On Oct 16, 2020
Nice one.. We are not resuming again.. School for naija Na scam..

1 Like

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by TGM2015: 8:09am On Oct 16, 2020
sinkhole:
On the first part, you help somebody to help yourself, that is how the world moves forward! If the individual researches merits being published in reputable international journals then I do not see reasons why our government will not setup a body to study and use some of these researches for the benefit of Nigeria.
On the second part, ASUU is not a research body, it is a union meant for the welfare of its members. ASUU also make sure that her members follow due process and ethics in the discharge of their duties. The result of the research of the individual ASUU members is to the credit of ASUU in general. ASUU as a body "does not do research" (please note my apostrophe).
Besides, do you know that there is what is called TetFund research grant? The ASUU members are to apply for this and the people that approve are not ASUU members, they people in Abuja. One of the requirement for some of the grants by TetFund is that software and hardware to be used MUST be purchased from some listed companies! Why can't the TetFund, a government body, insist that your software/hardware be locally produced?
StaffofOrayan:

Bros
ASUU is just one damaged cell in the cancerous body called Nigeria,
Let's take hospitals for example, this govt told doctors to leave the country if they wanted to, that Nigeria has enough doctors,
Now we can blame the doctors for not 'forcefully' tabling their demands or ask why the govt (which is made up of civil servants) seems to be so anti people.
Isn't that a more valid question?
The useless executive/legislation just budget ridiculous amounts to themselves in the 2021 budget, a budget funded by loans

Bros let's wake up while we are still young abeg
proffemi:
I had to log in to respond because your post just rubs me off the wrong way.

What do you mean "push"? You mean as in force government to accept their solutions where appropriate? So now, they must not only teach and do research, but also possess government and force uptake??

Convenient way to downplay their contributions, right? You mean the research group that was the first in Africa to sequence the SARS-COV2 coronavirus did it just for promotion? Or that the COVID-19 vaccine they are about to start producing (the only one in Africa that I am aware of) is just for them and their grandmothers

I'm sure you know what a trade union is. So I hope you don't have any unrealistic expectations.
Now for your information, over the years, ASUU has made immense contributions to the nation. If you aren't too young, then you probably know that ASUU was one of the fiercest voices of opposition to successive military juntas.

But closer to their core mandate, ASUU came up with the idea of TETFund, one of the most innovative funding schemes for education anywhere in the world. TETFund is the only reason why the universities are where they are today (they would have entirely collapsed). In fact, the FG now regularly dips into TETFund to fund all sorts of programmes that have nothing to do with tertiary education.

Until what birth #EndSARS happen in educational sector, we will realise that government is not the Executives and Legislators but the people, in this case ASUU and NANS. If education is the bedrock of a national, if the standards of education determined the development level of a nation, then, we should start to search and come to term to who the real drivers of educational sector are. To me, they are the NUT and ASUU, without them, there can't be educational sector and if there is no educational sector, there cannot be a develop nation.

Remember the government are not the executives or the legislators but the people. My submission, Nigeria as a country in real and technical terms, is in the hands of the teachers/lecturer. This is an unwritten and hidden obligations of all educators.

1 Like

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by Junkie1: 8:12am On Oct 16, 2020
Benesis:
On ASUU
Its a pity that most nigerians do not know about the major terms on the ipis plan, from an experts view, the FG plan would really help the education sector grow.
But shaa, most nigerians are mostly sensational.

I am delighted with the protest so far, but truth is, As SARS has been dissolved our next line of protest should be on forcing the government to reduce the allowance of senators and legislators in the state... The salaries and allowance of those sleeping guys gulp up a great part of our budget..

If we could seal that end, we will have more money to increase our educational budget and to pay policemen to make their salary a lil bit worthwhile..
this is fax on fax
Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by Xixtie(f): 8:15am On Oct 16, 2020
StaffofOrayan:

An inconclusive election for example doesn't mean it ended in shambles
It just means no winner has been concluded
Thank you so much for that illustration.
Before an election could be declared inconclusive the number of registered voters yet to vote must be higher than the margin between the two leading parties in an election. You know right? That means if it's the other way round then you have to declare the candidate with the higher vote as the winner.
Now in this sense, there are obviously and undeniably higher chances of the strike being called of soon as the major strife has been put to settlement. It is wrong to use inconclusive. There are more suitable words to use that will show the intended point.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by MediMedi(m): 8:21am On Oct 16, 2020
2019-year 1. 2020-year 1. My next life, I wount study in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by proffemi: 8:30am On Oct 16, 2020
TGM2015:

Until what birth #EndSARS happen in educational sector, we will realise that government is not the Executives and Legislators but the people, in this case ASUU and NANS. If education is the bedrock of a national, if the standards of education determined the development level of a nation, then, we should start to search and come to term to who the real drivers of educational sector are. To me, they are the NUT and ASUU, without them, there can't be educational sector and if there is no educational sector, there cannot be a develop nation.

Remember the government are not the executives or the legislators but the people. My submission, Nigeria as a country in real and technical terms, is in the hands of the teachers/lecturer. This is an unwritten and hidden obligations of all educators.

You are preaching to the choir here.
The lecturers are alive to their responsibilities, so I have no idea what gives you the right to spew the implied accusations you started off with.

1 Like

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by StaffofOrayan(m): 8:34am On Oct 16, 2020
Xixtie:

Thank you so much for that illustration.
Before an election could be declared inconclusive the number of registered voters yet to vote must be higher than the margin between the two leading parties in an election. You know right? That means if it's the other way round then you have to declare the candidate with the higher vote as the winner.
Now in this sense, there are obviously and undeniably higher chances of the strike being called of soon as the major strife has been put to settlement. It is wrong to use inconclusive. There are more suitable words to use that will show the intended point.

But the point is that the matter has not been settled. I. E unconcluded
Students still don't know their fate, everyother thing is circumlocution smiley

2 Likes

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by OSUWAKEABAM(m): 8:50am On Oct 16, 2020
l love my country. Nigeria is among the best places to live on earth.
Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by tot(f): 9:23am On Oct 16, 2020
Xixtie:

It's not about the literal meaning, it's about it's tone of usage in this context.

Its not it's

@Topic, ASUU must stand their ground.
I can't take this government seriously until their wards start attending Nigerian universities.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by bobsboris: 9:23am On Oct 16, 2020
Una never sabi as e dey do you for body yet. Mtschhhheeewwwww
Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by Tovino: 9:38am On Oct 16, 2020
nairalandankrah:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/421134-just-in-ASUU-fg-meeting-inconclusive-adjourned.html

Let them be paid with UTAS which has a local content developmed in Nigeria, instead of IPPIS. The government should meet the demand of ASUU.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by Tovino: 9:39am On Oct 16, 2020
ASUU should remain strong in this fight. They should not bow to pressure.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by Xixtie(f): 10:35am On Oct 16, 2020
tot:

Its not it's

@Topic, ASUU must stand their ground.
I can't take this government seriously until their wards start attending Nigerian universities.
Thanks for the correction.
kiss

1 Like

Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by Dpundict: 1:25pm On Oct 16, 2020
Dear Nigerian students! It appears they want to use ASUU against you to stop you from exercising your constitutional right to protest against the injustices of this government. Do well to start a protest against ASUU if they end this strike and later decides to start another one after making you to return to school. We are tired of ASUU and their indecisiveness
Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by helinues: 2:17pm On Oct 16, 2020
4times:
[s][/s]

over 300 comments done justice grin

You can call me the honorable canceler

It's your time , it's your life, it's your energy

We are using our time , energy and life to do something good instead of hating people upadan.

LG as always
Re: ASUU, FG Meeting Inconclusive, Adjourned by 4x28: 10:19pm On Oct 16, 2020
[s]
helinues:

It's your time , it's your life, it's your energy

We are using our time , energy and life to do something good instead of hating people upadan.

LG as always
[/s]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FCFMT Victoria-Island Lagos Dirty Hostel (Photos) / Funaab Sug President Was Beaten And Harrased By The Nigerian Police / The Potter' Wheel Full Summary For 2013/2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.