Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida (34890 Views)

Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom / Saraki In Secret Deal With Babangida, DSS, EFCC, Police – Presidency / Saraki Meets Ibrahim Babangida In Minna (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by etokhana: 8:44am On Oct 18, 2020
Orji Uzor Kalu, senate chief whip, says Obafemi Awolowo, the late former premier of the western region, told him he refused to work with the Ibrahim Babangida military regime because he never trusted his government.

Kalu, who was governor of Abia state from 1999 to 2007, also said he turned down an offer to lead a campaign seeking to keep Ibrahim Babangida as military head of state.

In his newly released autobiography, ‘My Life’, the former governor of Abia state recalled how top officials of the Babangida regime had contacted him to lead the sit-tight campaign but he declined as he was “guided by national interest”.

‘WHY AWOLOWO REFUSED TO WORK WITH IBB’S REGIME’

Kalu said Awolowo had rejected the invitation of the political bureau set up by Babangida after they asked him to join in their search for recommendations regarding Nigeria’s political future.

The author said he saw the sage’s refusal as a red flag and decided to visit him to find out why.

“He told me he did not trust the military and that nothing in his crystal ball suggested that the military was sincere about bringing the country back to civil governance,” Kalu wrote of his meeting with Awolowo.

“I learnt from him that there existed two types of the military which he described as professional and mercenary military.

“He told me the military government was of the latter type (and) assured me that he had not seen anything in the IBB regime to assure him of their messianic mission.”

‘I REJECTED OFFER TO LEAD CAMPAIGN TO EXTEND IBB’S REGIME’

Babangida became military president in August 1985 following a coup that ousted the then head of state, Muhammadu Buhari.

He promised to hand over power to civilians in 1990 under his first transition to democracy programme before later changing the dates — first to 1992 and then 1993.

He then annulled the June 12, 1993 presidential election, further confirming fears that he wanted to sit tight in office.

In the autobiography, a copy of which was made available to TheCable, Kalu, who was a member of the house of representatives at the time, said he “personally resisted every pressure” to prolong that regime even against the decision of the National Republican Convention (NRC), his party at the time.

He wrote: “I was extremely disgusted when the 16 state governors who were elected on the platform of our party paid a solidarity visit to IBB in Aso Rock and pledged their unflinching loyalty to the military leader.

“Perhaps, it was a strategy for keeping their governorship seats; perhaps, which is more likely, they were responding to some irresistible inducement.

“Indeed, legislators on both sides received ‘encouragement’ from both Abiola and the military government for support.

“Abiola’s battle to win the support of the National Assembly meant a lot of money for the legislators. The government also sent its lobbyists to work at the National Assembly with a huge financial arsenal.

“They practically invaded the legislative buildings ‘persuading’ lawmakers to support the annulment and endorse the president for another two to four years more to give him a chance to clear the mess created by the annulment.

“I was contacted by these lobbyists, who were actually functionaries of government, who wanted me to be the arrowhead of the campaign for prolongation of the transition period, and by implication extension of Babangida’s stay in office. I turned them down.

“I told them that if oga (Babangida) wanted me to help him stay further in power, he should tell me himself. I must say that despite my closeness to the president, he never mentioned to me that he wanted to stay further.

“So, I took that to mean that he did not really want to campaign for the extension of his tenure but that some of his top officials were doing so on his behalf as cover for their own selfish motives.”

https://www.thecable.ng/orji-kalu-awolowo-told-me-he-did-not-trust-babangida/amp

5 Likes

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 8:52am On Oct 18, 2020
Interesting
Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by Localemperor: 9:13am On Oct 18, 2020
He took power in 1985 and promised to return to civilian government in 1990, the date was changed to 1992 and subsequently 1993. The 1993 election was annulled to keep him in office. And Orji is telling me that the GENERAL has no intention either through any means whatsoever to stay longer in office. IBB was power hungry and had no intention to handover even before the June 12 saga.

108 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 18, 2020
Kalu pretending you have always been the General's man.

94 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by ACxxxMAN: 9:16am On Oct 18, 2020
We sef no trust any 9ja politician again. You are all crooks

197 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by Dede1(m): 9:34am On Oct 18, 2020
etokhana:
Orji Uzor Kalu, senate chief whip, says Obafemi Awolowo, the late former premier of the western region, told him he refused to work with the Ibrahim Babangida military regime because he never trusted his government.

Kalu, who was governor of Abia state from 1999 to 2007, also said he turned down an offer to lead a campaign seeking to keep Ibrahim Babangida as military head of state.

In his newly released autobiography, ‘My Life’, the former governor of Abia state recalled how top officials of the Babangida regime had contacted him to lead the sit-tight campaign but he declined as he was “guided by national interest”.

‘WHY AWOLOWO REFUSED TO WORK WITH IBB’S REGIME’
Kalu said Awolowo had rejected the invitation of the political bureau set up by Babangida after they asked him to join in their search for recommendations regarding Nigeria’s political future.

The author said he saw the sage’s refusal as a red flag and decided to visit him to find out why.

“He told me he did not trust the military and that nothing in his crystal ball suggested that the military was sincere about bringing the country back to civil governance,” Kalu wrote of his meeting with Awolowo.

“I learnt from him that there existed two types of the military which he described as professional and mercenary military.

“He told me the military government was of the latter type (and) assured me that he had not seen anything in the IBB regime to assure him of their messianic mission.”

‘I REJECTED OFFER TO LEAD CAMPAIGN TO EXTEND IBB’S REGIME’

Babangida became military president in August 1985 following a coup that ousted the then head of state, Muhammadu Buhari.

He promised to hand over power to civilians in 1990 under his first transition to democracy programme before later changing the dates — first to 1992 and then 1993.

He then annulled the June 12, 1993 presidential election, further confirming fears that he wanted to sit tight in office.

In the autobiography, a copy of which was made available to TheCable, Kalu, who was a member of the house of representatives at the time, said he “personally resisted every pressure” to prolong that regime even against the decision of the National Republican Convention (NRC), his party at the time.

He wrote: “I was extremely disgusted when the 16 state governors who were elected on the platform of our party paid a solidarity visit to IBB in Aso Rock and pledged their unflinching loyalty to the military leader.

“Perhaps, it was a strategy for keeping their governorship seats; perhaps, which is more likely, they were responding to some irresistible inducement.

“Indeed, legislators on both sides received ‘encouragement’ from both Abiola and the military government for support.

“Abiola’s battle to win the support of the National Assembly meant a lot of money for the legislators. The government also sent its lobbyists to work at the National Assembly with a huge financial arsenal.

“They practically invaded the legislative buildings ‘persuading’ lawmakers to support the annulment and endorse the president for another two to four years more to give him a chance to clear the mess created by the annulment.

“I was contacted by these lobbyists, who were actually functionaries of government, who wanted me to be the arrowhead of the campaign for prolongation of the transition period, and by implication extension of Babangida’s stay in office. I turned them down.

“I told them that if oga (Babangida) wanted me to help him stay further in power, he should tell me himself. I must say that despite my closeness to the president, he never mentioned to me that he wanted to stay further.

“So, I took that to mean that he did not really want to campaign for the extension of his tenure but that some of his top officials were doing so on his behalf as cover for their own selfish motives.”
https://www.thecable.ng/orji-kalu-awolowo-told-me-he-did-not-trust-babangida/amp
Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44

Arrant nonsense!!! If the bolded is remotely true, it typically attested to the chameleonic character of Awolowo. Awolowo had trusted the military which gave him the key to Nigerian treasury and distrusted the military which only needed his person on a steering committee.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 18, 2020
#EndSARS
#EndPoliceBrutality
#AnalogueVsDigital

13 Likes

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 18, 2020
#EndSARS
#EndPoliceBrutality
#AnalogueVsDigital

9 Likes

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by Enudapan: 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2020
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

Politicans has not been trusting each others
Since 1960 laa
Is not new

6 Likes

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by Shortyy(f): 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2020
Lol
Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by XXLMANDIGO: 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2020
This ex-convict and looter should go and sit down jare . See him forming historian

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by potent5(m): 3:54pm On Oct 18, 2020
#ENDSARS.

Distractions will not work.

#ENDSARS
Take am

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by GoshenNLA(m): 3:54pm On Oct 18, 2020
Let Buhari go too
#NewNigeria

2 Likes

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by TalkTalkTwins(m): 3:54pm On Oct 18, 2020
Dead Orji Uzo Kalu
All these Talk Talk won't earn you a presidential ticket come 2023

Nigerian youths are becoming wiser

9 Likes

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by rolams(m): 3:54pm On Oct 18, 2020
You will soon fall

8 Likes

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 18, 2020
Criminals

May Awolowo soul rest in peace

16 Likes

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by CHANNELStv2020: 3:54pm On Oct 18, 2020
Una generation fail us so me no care wetin una talk because nothing come out las Las,our independence na 2020 simple
#Endsars
#buharimustGO

Power to the YOUTH

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by bennynaza(m): 3:54pm On Oct 18, 2020
Man dey position himself for 2023 presidency.
I'm an Igbo man, but right now the focus for me has changed. It's no longer about Igbo presidency. It's about the right changes happening to this entity called Nigeria.
We can no longer continue recycling the same crop of people who has left us in this mess.
Any politician who has been around long enough to know and discuss with people like Awolowo, Azikiwe, Shagari, IBB and the rest should all go and rest.
It is youth o'clock.
#endbadgovernance
#endallendables

85 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 3:54pm On Oct 18, 2020
We don't want to hear this now.. #Revolutionnow.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by Bigbishung(m): 3:54pm On Oct 18, 2020
ibb was a bad soldier.awolowo was a disgrunted civilian,kalu was just an opportunist.either ways Nigeria never learns.

15 Likes

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by olaboy33(m): 3:54pm On Oct 18, 2020
Awolowo was wise enough to know that even if the military were to handover to civilians, they would do all it takes to hand over to their stooges to protect their largesse.

The election of 1979 proved that. The legal prowess of the late sage wasn't enough to shield him from the irregularities of the election of 1979.

Who would have thought shehu shagari would win an election where Awo, Zik and Aminu Kano were contesting.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by NobleAngell(f): 3:55pm On Oct 18, 2020
A Yoruba man told an Igbo man that he didn't trust a Hausa man. Lol.
One Nigeria!

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by judecares1(m): 3:55pm On Oct 18, 2020
ENDSARS launches online Radio
Soro Soke Radio is live...

https://s4.radio.co/s99d55c85b/listen

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by Oxtonguy: 3:55pm On Oct 18, 2020
cheesy
Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by ainas247: 3:55pm On Oct 18, 2020
angry

1 Like

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by point5: 3:56pm On Oct 18, 2020
I talk am before..you wouldn’t listen...na Babangida spoil this country called Nigeria..quot me with your balls I they game...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida by DenreleDave(m): 3:56pm On Oct 18, 2020
undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Peter Mbah Visits Tinubu, Thanks Him Over The Appointment Of Ogalla / Buhari To Receive 18-seater Innoson Motors Bus Built By Niger Delta Youths / Ambode Commissions Multiple Lay-by, Slip Road In Ketu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.