Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,838 members, 7,802,689 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

Opinion; Recalling Of Senators, A Viable Peaceful Constitutional Revolution. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion; Recalling Of Senators, A Viable Peaceful Constitutional Revolution. (492 Views)

List Of Senators-elect So Far Declared- Premium Times / INEC Meets ASUU On Friday, Considers Recalling Ex-corps Members For Election / Defection Aftermath: Names Of Senators Remaining In APC (FULL LIST) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion; Recalling Of Senators, A Viable Peaceful Constitutional Revolution. by Toks2008(m): 2:51pm On Oct 18, 2020
There is no doubt that the ongoing protests have yielded great result but unfortunately, there can never be any viable reformation in the Police without reforming the parent structure the Police force depends on in order to be effective.

I believe that centralisation of almost everything is making the country to be practically unitary in nature, rather than federal which is one of the vital reasons the police can not perform effectively which was why sub-regional security outfits were recently created with Amotekun in the south-west, Shege ka Fasa, a security outfit created by the Coalition of Northern Groups, and the South Eastern Region have met to form a regional security outfit....These are strong pointers to the fact that there is something relatively wrong with the entire security system of the country which the police stands for.

The only way forward at this time is for the elected Senators to take a positive stand on bringing about constitutional amendments that will address the problems bothering us as a nation and that is to restructure the entire system...this is an option we can't run away from and the only people who can make that happen are the present crop of senators in the 9th National assembly.

There is no doubt that their approach to our current agitation is not encouraging and i believe that it is a breach of trust for senators to turn deaf ears to the agitations of the people who elected them simply because they are benefitting from the crazy structure in place.

In view of this non-challance from the self-centred senators, whilst the peaceful protests continue, there is another viable and constitutional option we can explore to let them realize we are not joking and that is to recall the senators and this can be done in 3 stages.

How To Recall A Senator or Representative:

1. Petition

A member of the Senate or the House of Representatives can be recalled if there is a petition signed by more than half of the people registered to vote in that person’s constituency stating their loss of confidence in the public official.

This petition must be presented to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

2) Verification:

Once INEC receives this petition, it crosschecks the petition to verify that it has truly been signed by more than half of the total registered voters in that constituency and if the petition process has been in line with the law.

This is how the verification process works:

INEC will notify the Senator, Representative or Area Council member about to be recalled, telling the person that it has received a petition for their recall;
INEC will issue a public notice stating the date, time and location for the verification process;
The verification process will be conducted at the polling units of the elected official, and INEC will try to match the signatures on the petition to the people who actually signed them. These signatories must also appear in the Voters’ Register.
If the numbers verified is validly found to be less than half of the registered voters in that constituency, then the recall process will be dismissed, and INEC will write to the petitioners stating that the minimum requirements for a referendum were not met.

3)Referendum:

A referendum is a direct vote where voters answer either “YES” or “NO” to a proposal.

Section 69 (b) of the Constitution states that a referendum must be conducted by INEC within ninety days (90) of the receipt of the petition.
The referendum will be a “Yes” or “No” vote on whether the Senator, Representative or Area Council Member should be recalled. And if a simple majority of the voters registered to vote in that official’s constituency vote “Yes”, the elected official stands recalled.

The Chairman of INEC must send a Certificate of Recall to the Senate President, Speaker of the House of Representatives or the Chairman of an Area Council to effect the recall. https://www.zikoko.com/citizen/how-to-recall-a-silent-senator/

The Dino Melaye recall case ended at the verification stage because the people INEC verified their signatures were only 5.34% instead of the needed 50.1% to enter the final stage but with the current situation, i believe we will be able to have over 80% verified signatures in each constituency in most parts of the country and once we start this process with the ongoing peaceful protest still on, i strongly believe that the Lawmakers will do the needful in an unbelievable swift manner.

My humble opinion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion; Recalling Of Senators, A Viable Peaceful Constitutional Revolution. by Toks2008(m): 2:58pm On Oct 18, 2020
May GOD help us.
Re: Opinion; Recalling Of Senators, A Viable Peaceful Constitutional Revolution. by Toks2008(m): 3:07pm On Oct 18, 2020
Lalasticlala,
Mynd44,
Seun.

E soro so ke
Re: Opinion; Recalling Of Senators, A Viable Peaceful Constitutional Revolution. by helinues: 3:31pm On Oct 18, 2020
shocked sad
Re: Opinion; Recalling Of Senators, A Viable Peaceful Constitutional Revolution. by slimfit1(m): 3:46pm On Oct 18, 2020
The time has come for NASS ridiculous allowance and wages to come down or end.
Re: Opinion; Recalling Of Senators, A Viable Peaceful Constitutional Revolution. by kayusely70(m): 3:47pm On Oct 18, 2020
This Can Be Achieved With Determination Of Purpose And Full Commitment.
Re: Opinion; Recalling Of Senators, A Viable Peaceful Constitutional Revolution. by ThatFairGuy1: 3:50pm On Oct 18, 2020
Nice One. Any of them who doesn't support Restructuring with those agendas should be recalled.

Restructuring Nigeria NOW is a NECESSITY.

1 Like

Re: Opinion; Recalling Of Senators, A Viable Peaceful Constitutional Revolution. by Nobody: 5:00pm On Oct 18, 2020
Well written piece.

Though you mentioned it in the article, I feel the addition of "to Restructure Nigeria" in the title will give it more punch, so the connection between recalling a senator and restructuring is seen at first glance.

Nigerians at this time need to be "RESTRUCTURE NIGERIA MINDED" as this will solve many problems presently bedeviling our country.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: Opinion; Recalling Of Senators, A Viable Peaceful Constitutional Revolution. by Toks2008(m): 6:25pm On Oct 18, 2020
Omoluabi9:
Well written piece.

Though you mentioned it in the article, I feel the addition of "to Restructure Nigeria" in the title will give it more punch, so the connection between recalling a senator and restructuring is seen at first glance.

Nigerians at this time need to be "RESTRUCTURE NIGERIA MINDED" as this will solve many problems presently bedeviling our country.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

I think nairaland is kinda careful with that word and I wonder why so I think the title is better this way.

(1) (Reply)

Curfew Is What Should Be Taken Serious / I Mourn For Nigeria - Archbishop Of Canterbury / Where Is Ibrahim Danjuma The Apo 6 Killer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.