Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

Obasanjo Avoided Me During Third Term Bid – Adeboye - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Avoided Me During Third Term Bid – Adeboye (1094 Views)

Pastor Leke Adeboye Shares A Political Poll Result Of Buhari/Jonathan - Pic / Nigeria's Jonathan Vows To Beat Graft, Boko Haram In Second Term Bid / Mimiko Formally Declares Second Term Bid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Avoided Me During Third Term Bid – Adeboye by dayokanu(m): 12:00pm On Jun 25, 2007
The last has not been heard about the evil man that left Aso rock recently see this

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, on Saturday said that former President Olusegun Obasanjo avoided him during his unsuccessful bid to elongate his (Obasanjo) tenure in office.

Skip to next paragraph

www.openheavens.rccg.org
The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye

Adeboye made the disclosure at the end of the 11th Annual Convention of the RCCG in Dallas, United States.

“When our former President wanted to run for a third term, he avoided me throughout the period. He said it himself.” Empowered News, a United States-based Nigerian news agency, quoted the cleric as saying.

Adeboye, who reaffirmed his friendship with the former President, hinted that Obasanjo’s action might be because he (Obasanjo) knew that he would not get his backing.

He recalled two instances when Obasanjo had received his blessings.

One, according to him, was when he assured him that he would be elected President in 1999.

The second was when there was a plan by the National Assembly to impeach him during his first term.

On the second, Adeboye, who is called Daddy G.O. by RCCG members, said he even assured Obasanjo that he would get a second term.

He explained that even though he spoke on Obasanjo’s emergence as President and his re-election, he “kept quiet on the third term,” because it ran contrary to the provisions of the 1999 Constitution.

He told hundreds of RCCG ministers in the US and Canada that Obasanjo knew that the constitution limited the terms of the President to two, yet he sought to extend it.

The debate on the third term first gained momentum in 2004 when a former Minister of Special Duties, the late Alhaji Wada Nas, accused Obasanjo of nursing a third term ambition.

Until the bid to review the constitution failed in the National Assembly in May 2006, Obasanjo remained silent.

But on May 19, 2007 the former President said if he had wanted the third term and if he had asked God, God would have granted his desire.

The former President had said, “If I sought a third term, and I wanted it, I would have got it. I have not said this before. God would have given it to me. I did not want it.

“If I had wanted a third term I would have prayed for it, I would have worked for it and God would have given it to me. I know this because there is nothing I wanted that God did not give me.”

Adeboye urged RCCG pastors not to dabble in partisan politics but contented with influencing the process leading to the emergence of political leaders in their communities

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20070625247159
Re: Obasanjo Avoided Me During Third Term Bid – Adeboye by DisGuy: 5:21pm On Jun 25, 2007
[b]Adeboye urged RCCG pastors not to dabble in partisan politics [/b]but contented with influencing the process leading to the emergence of political leaders in their communities
undecided
Re: Obasanjo Avoided Me During Third Term Bid – Adeboye by McKren(m): 8:17pm On Jun 25, 2007
He should go and sit down

Why did he not speak out, everybody want to be seen as anti-third term hero.
Re: Obasanjo Avoided Me During Third Term Bid – Adeboye by angel101(f): 9:30pm On Jun 25, 2007
lol!!!
Re: Obasanjo Avoided Me During Third Term Bid – Adeboye by babasin(m): 10:10pm On Jun 25, 2007
The second was when there was a plan by the National Assembly to impeach him during his first term.

ah, so Adeboye is one of the marabout for OBJ

grin cheesy grin

we are waiting for more of these to speak-up
Re: Obasanjo Avoided Me During Third Term Bid – Adeboye by DisGuy: 10:13pm On Jun 25, 2007
babasin:

ah, so Adeboye is one of the marabout for OBJ

grin cheesy grin

we are waiting for more of these to speak-up

they did already, they got it woefully wrong predicting who will be presidents and all, funny enough this dude advise his pastors not to 'dabble in partisan politics' cheesy
Re: Obasanjo Avoided Me During Third Term Bid – Adeboye by McKren(m): 10:53pm On Jun 25, 2007
I had the same sentiments

I wonder how someone who prayed for a particular candidate that he will win elections, and also prayed for the same person not to be impeached could be disuading people from partisan politcs.

It is like Dangote publicly boasting that he disuaded his supervisors from partisan politics and yet within the same statement telling people he sponsored PDP campaign.

If what Adeboye did is not partisan then what is it?
Re: Obasanjo Avoided Me During Third Term Bid – Adeboye by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jun 27, 2007
Now it is convenient for him to talk abi. Where was he when People like Sunday Mbang and Akintola were vocal in their opposition for third term. (hiss) He likes unnecessary publicity
Re: Obasanjo Avoided Me During Third Term Bid – Adeboye by Topsido(m): 5:11pm On Jul 03, 2007
Yeye lipsrsealed
Re: Obasanjo Avoided Me During Third Term Bid – Adeboye by Abeem(m): 5:55am On Jul 05, 2007
Read more from Duro Onabule on "Adeboye's unkind cut for Obasanjo"

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/columnists/onabule/home.htm

(1) (Reply)

Soludo Company Owes Bank N32bn / Ibb Will Rule Again / Yar’adua : I Owe Public No Explanation – Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.