Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,551 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help (42920 Views)

Meet The White Britons Who Cannot Read Or Write In English / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education / Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Premiumwriter: 1:49pm On Oct 23, 2020
osuulola:
Please,

Stop stressing the boy. He's a child. He is not writing common entrance tomorrow morning. He doesn't have WAEC exams next week.
It's okay for him to be lazy at holding pencil. In fact, his fingers muscles are strained holding them. Let him go to school to play. Make learning at home fun for him.
He'd make a professor, don't worry but just not at the age of five. Give him at least twenty more years.
this is f*cked up.

He should also advise him not to send the boy to school na.

He's schooling without showing any result and you're saying he should let it be?

Have you forgotten that small drops of water makes the ocean or don't you know that learning is a stage by stage thing? Once you start failing it only takes the grace of God to succeed in the next stage.

Oga you are right to be worried. Schooling is not for everybody but this basics one is for everyone. You don't know he's potentials yet, what if in the end, he's certificate is all he will have to depend on?

Go and see his teacher and if you are not satisfied try and change he's school. Try teaching him and all that.

I no follow all this oyibo advice of school is not for everyone or he's just a kid. There are many kids like him who could count and read the alphabet. Those are too basic.

Either he's too playful or
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Naijaarchive(m): 1:51pm On Oct 23, 2020
Most kids these days no wan have anything to do with books grin give him time and help him learn slowly

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by AsiwajuNdigbo: 1:51pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3

I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.

pls Help

concerned Daddy

Its your fault. You should have started teaching him how to read alphabets when he was 1 week old. grin

Were people just full internet sha. grin
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Equity15(m): 1:53pm On Oct 23, 2020
Kingdemi212019:
Your pikin don choose watin go benefit am in life ,he came to the world to count money not to speak grammars
lmao ��
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by MummyD2020(f): 1:54pm On Oct 23, 2020
nnebebe:
My cousin didn't talk till he was five. He's 18 and in 300 level studying medicine in UNN. He's so brilliant that he got double promotion in primary school.

Please don't stress that child, keep teaching him gradually, he'll learn at his own pace.

Do not beat or instill fear when you're teaching him, try and be as gentle and soft as you can.

And I'm here crying that my baby cant talk clearly at 3.5years old. But hes improving. I guess hes using the lack of speech for something else becos hes intelligent
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Jesslove(f): 1:57pm On Oct 23, 2020
Complaining about a 3 years child who cannot read nor write as if he is preparing for Jamb is funny.the child is still too young and u can never conclude that he is a slow learner.help him at home with other activities like singing, clapping,jumping, dancing, rymes etc, at 80% and keep book work at 20%. In soo doing, he will discover and Enjoy himself in other domains and this will give him d zeal to explore reading and writing without stress.Let him Enjoy his age activities well before adding book please.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by ehix89(m): 1:58pm On Oct 23, 2020
Icelandic kids begins formal education at age 6, stop stressing a kid bro
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Pmeakoncept(m): 1:59pm On Oct 23, 2020
I understand how it feels when you are getting less than your expectations.

Note that the child is just a small child and they learn at their own pace. At age 3, their concentration span is just below 1 minute.

That said, here is a material that i believe will go along way in helping your child.

https:///3dPSd3u
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Tushed: 2:00pm On Oct 23, 2020
Alaye don't worry yourself. The child will catch up
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by dominusgai(m): 2:02pm On Oct 23, 2020
Makavelli25:
Are you a Russian
ABI where are you rushing to

If he is just moving to nursery classes then he is still okay with what he knows already.
Let me do a short breakdown for you
Playgroup/kindergarten (1yearold) -all they go to school to do is play sing rhymes and sleep
Prenusery1/kg1 (2year old)- learn life basic skills, greetings etc sing rhymes play and sleep. Some schools may introduce them to the alphabet but they don't really expect them to Know it
Prenusery2/kg2(3year old)- they start giving them pencil so their wrist will be trained to hold it well, they start reading the ABC so they will get used to it

Then Nursery 1 and 2 by now they would have known how to hold a pencil properly here they will start learning numbers up to 100/200 so when they get to nursery 2 the will start all these 2/3 letter word.

Just keep calm and find time for your kid. Monitor his improvement and communicate well with his teacher

He go det okay. Let him reach Nursery 1st

Actually the recommended age for nursery one is 4 years. Even in US and Britain (where we copied our system of education from), children seldom start kindergarten at two. They start at 4.

It is only extremely intelligent children that start kindergarten at two.

And trust me, if your child is extremely intelligent to start kindergarten at two, you will know, you won't have to force it.

One of the challenges with the current system of education in Nigeria is that it is not tailored for the average but for the extremely intelligent.

The second challenge is that every parent believes their child is extremely intelligent. That is not just true.

In an average class, you have about 10% extremely intelligent, 10% extremely challenged and the other 80% average.

A while back I thought in my sister's school where I had a little bit of leverage. There I kind of reduced the subjects thought a day from 8 to 5 but explained longer.

That term the children's performance was better than previous.

In all, there are some things people will not understand until they are old enough.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by stonecoldcafe: 2:04pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3

I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.

pls Help

concerned Daddy

Tell your wife to stop beating him please
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Oloripelebe: 2:06pm On Oct 23, 2020
Another Bubu in the making, u should be proud of him
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Babandia27: 2:06pm On Oct 23, 2020
At 3? Haba... Leave the young man alone. At 3,he supposed to be in Pre-Nursery... Why rushing? ���
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by afunmmy: 2:06pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy

I started reading and writing at age 6. Today I am a doctor. Don't work ursef up
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by peppermint7(m): 2:09pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
slow learners are always great. The just need time and coaching. Ogbeni wise up
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by BluntTheApostle(m): 2:11pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy

At age 3, you shouldn't expect a child to know all of the alphabets.

Maybe, half of the alphabets or less than half.

But not all.

Beating up a 3 year old child because of education is dangerous o. Take it easy. Paces of learning differ from kid to kid. Don't go and kill your child over nothing.

Moreover, you are funny o.

You expect a better result from a 3 year old child? Better take it easy. Don't overtask his brain. Take it easy.

I will suggest that your wife starts reading everything to him in her own voice. Or better still, sing everything to him. Don't use automated voices. Use real human voices, especially a voice that the child is very comfortable listening to.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by jojogirlx: 2:14pm On Oct 23, 2020
Oga E joor leave that child alone!!! In those days you wont be admitted into KG1 if you haven't clocked 3 years. *I don't mean 2yrs 11months 30days o* These our Private schools will keep over stressing this children so that you will keep your ward in their school. Imagine he can write numbers already?? Brilliant!! As for the mum, it is so wrong to be beating an infant at this stage because of ABC .... I pray as he grows older he won't hate education
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by PENIEL2018(m): 2:14pm On Oct 23, 2020
Please, tell your wife not to beat him again. It won't change anything, it will cause more damage to him.

The best thing to do is visit his class teacher,proprietor and explain things to them.

It happened to my daughter while she was in nursery class in her former school; her performance kept on dwindling. I visited her school on a fact finding mission and noticed that her class teacher and teaching methods were the problem. I had to go out in search of another school that had teachers who had gone through colleges of education and have experience in teaching methods. Mind you, my daughter was given oral and verbal tests to ascertain the main problem by her new school proprietor(an educationalist and psychologist). Immediately, she called me and explained what she discovered about her. She was referred back to pre-nursery class and things started to improve for her in the new school.

Do your findings in his School and make your next move.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Aphyz078: 2:14pm On Oct 23, 2020
Oga the boy too small naaa! Ahah wetin happen
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by babsthegreat: 2:14pm On Oct 23, 2020
Can u write when u were his age
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by philos(m): 2:16pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy

From the experience you're narrating here, I am beginning to think that your people must be so intelligent that they can even write Junior WAEC at 7 years, for you to have such expectation from a 3 yr old!
By the way, a child should begin Nursery 1 at 3 years, and you're expecting him to have learnt how to read and write.
Take it easy. Some kids are slow learners, while some are quite precocious.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Godmademan(m): 2:18pm On Oct 23, 2020
I remember being deferred admission into primary one in a number primary schools because I could not read the Queens Premier/Brighter Grammar properly. Finally mom convinced the HM of one who admitted me on trial. I ended up topping the class till graduation. Was best graduating pupil. HM had wanted me to take entrance exams at primary 4 but my parents declined.

Summary: Stop stressing the poor kid. If his social and communication skills are intact no worries at all.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Alennsar(f): 2:19pm On Oct 23, 2020
LadySarah:

keep quiet!
Every child learn at their own pace! If you aren't a parent just shut it instead of making this op feel something is wrong with the child.

nothing is wrong with that child. he isn't a slow learner and he isn't anything. he is a child and should be allowed to learn at their pace.

My children at 3plus can't write anything but check back at 4plus and see them reading literature .Theyd always look me in the face and say I don't want to write anything and go back to playing.
Playing is fundamental to a child's mental development.

you the father should engage him and plz play with him. Talk about his favourite cartoon or game of interest and infuse it in what you want to teach them . If you shout or flog you instil fear in them and the aim is defeated.

If it is1 or 2 letters that was learnt in a day, praise him and repeat again 2moro.

Again, nothing is wrong with him. you ppl should stop stressing him. Don't listen to those who tell you that their 2 yr olds are already writing up-to 500.

God bless you jare. The teachers are trying their best and your child is trying as well. for the fact that he is not in nursery yet, he is doing well for his age group please don't stress him out else he will start seeing learning as a burden. The mother needs to be admonished as well because the beating and torture is unnecessary. Haba! He is just a child, he needs encouragement and love to build him for the future not torture.

Did OP also realize that there are some children of same age group who don't know anything? Not even 1-10 and they are in the same class.

Your child is doing well and am sure he will perform better as he is growing up. So, please take it easy with that child.

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by LivingTribunal: 2:20pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working

pls Help

Attention is the best gift parents should give to their children on a regular, not toys and sweets! grin
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by FBS: 2:21pm On Oct 23, 2020
Why are you or your wife beating the poor boy? Were you able to read at that age? What on earth is wrong with you people? Like what da heck
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Alennsar(f): 2:22pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
thanks to you all for your inputs and contributions.......All suggestions and advises are noted
Nothing is wrong with your child please calm your mind. He is doing well and am sure he is going to be more better as he's growing up. He's just a little child.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by goldmatrix(m): 2:24pm On Oct 23, 2020
He is suffering from nothing. Try to talk with your wife not to beat him again please. Give him little honey in his tea everyday and also reward his little efforts at every point weather right or wrong. He will shock you soon.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by gitzy: 2:24pm On Oct 23, 2020
Leave the intelligent baby alone jor. As long as he does not have down syndrome, he has no issue or what so ever and you have nothing to worry about. Everyone has their own pace at learning, just tell your wife to completely stop flogging this innocent child, her beating is destroying the child's confidence. Zero flogging because infesting fear into him only make him scared and as a result he cannot think straight. Pet him and stop intimidating him, tell him good inspirational words, words that will lift his confident and make him happy. Tell him that he's so smart, he's so wise, he's so intelligence, he's amazing, he's so friendly, he surprises you with how fast he learn things. Give him the most special things for a baby you can find and afford, and expect nothing from him in return. He will make you prod when he grows up. Just keep believing in him. He's everything a genius could be, just stop abusing him with these trivia things and focus on teaching him through kindness. Make your wife no flog am again abeg. Just dey patient and give the small pikin time. Thank you.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by isaiahethan: 2:26pm On Oct 23, 2020
Uyi168:
At 3,the little boy should be able to at least read from A - Z, even if he didn't get the letters correctly.
The teacher and the school needs questioning.

Na big big money all these mushroom private school sabi charge.. angry

At what age did you start reading from A - Z? Please don't get me wrong
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by vexing(m): 2:27pm On Oct 23, 2020
At 3 your child is still supposed to be playing and jumping around in school not for him to be reading and writing. All he should be learning now is nursery rhymes. Please allow the baby to get to 5 years before you start stressing your self.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Vivuch: 2:29pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
Jesus!! Leave the poor boy alone. He's not even meant to be in school at that age. Get him colouring book, paints. And educational videos to watch. Go to YouTube you will see many animated educational songs. Leave the poor boy alone.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by stanbillion200(m): 2:29pm On Oct 23, 2020
Op dey talk as wen him dey 3years him don dey write and read letters.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Sexual Assault, Corruption: UNICAL Law Students Protest Against Cyril Ndifon / Ogume Grammar School Delta Shuts Down, Female Student Murdered In Cult Clash / My Daughter Was Bullied At Faith Academy, Abuja & Sexually Assaulted - Parent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.