Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,155 members, 7,807,520 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help (42946 Views)

Meet The White Britons Who Cannot Read Or Write In English / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education / Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by YoungAncient1: 2:29pm On Oct 23, 2020
Yours is even better, the kid of a close friend has refused to speak even at 3 years of age. He plays a lot, shouts, but If you ask him anything, he won't say a word. Sometimes I feel he is doing it deliberately because he hears fine and when you call him to come he can say "no"
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Bianuju: 2:29pm On Oct 23, 2020
Please tell the mother to stop beating that child. A three year Old child should be in Kindergarten. I’d advise you buy educational videos, cartons, buy him a portable small white board and teach him lovely!

Monitor him and pay him more attention, maybe you will discover something regarding his development as he continues to grow. A child that young is to be nurtured and not tortured with constant beatings over A, b, c.

If your wife is stressed, then get him tutor who specializes in Young children education.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by victorazyvictor(m): 2:30pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3

I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.

pls Help

concerned Daddy

Oga I didn't border to read ur article. I only have one question.
Na that age you start to dey read? 3 yro should be in nursery 1.....

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Emrief(m): 2:43pm On Oct 23, 2020
Please contact jj_healthybites on instagram. they will be of help to you as they have been of help to my son of the same age and i never regret it
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by vincentjk(m): 2:46pm On Oct 23, 2020
Tell your wife to take it easy on him while you two give him time and continue with the good lessons and see how it goes, you need to understand that some are late bloomers or maybe lacking a little concentration in school or something due to one reason or the other.

When I was a kid, I was so dumb that I always came last position in class for years but it changed when my mum couldn't take it anymore and had to enroll me into another school (primary 4) that was when I learnt how to read for the very first time and today I lecture in class class in the absence of Lecturers.

My case was just pure distraction and lack of concentration and my mum solved it and with a help of a friend also. Try and know what your son's problem really is and stop flogging him like a cattle before you mess with his self esteem
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Obi1kenobi(m): 2:46pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3

I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.

pls Help

concerned Daddy

Your wife deserves to be beaten mercilessly for torturing that poor boy. People who think brutalizing children is the only way to train them are mentally lazy and emotionally stunted. I might even understand the value of deterrence in beating a child for stealing or fighting (which I still don't support), but beating a child for not learning fast enough is stupid.

Please take it easy on the kid. It's not unusual for children to learn the alphabet at 4 to 5-years-old and everyone's child must not be an early star. Some children have early limitations and develop more slowly and require patience. I moved to Lagos from Enugu at 5-years-old and my parents were advised to let me repeat Nursery 2 cos I failed the entry requirement test to Primary 1 - especially English. They got me a private tutor for extra lessons and by the time I entered Primary 1, I had pretty excellent grades and kept ahead of most of my peers till I left Primary School at 10-years-old in Primary 5. Have some patience and stop panicking because your child is not Einstein at 3-years-old.

2 Likes

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by daprophet(m): 2:48pm On Oct 23, 2020
Normally, i just read and pass.. but this got to me. i was also like that, and my mum also did what you are doing now. infact, she cried everyday.... but now i am almost rounding up my Msc.. my point " some kids, People, pick up at a very early stage, while others later in life" Encourage the kid and support the kid, it would amaze you what that kid would turn out to be. suffice to say, the same me got a scholarship for me Secondary education haven been the best in my class.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Najdorf: 2:52pm On Oct 23, 2020
Why is she beating the child?

He might have something like dyslexia. Yes, learning disorders in young children are real and common, and instead of trying to find the root cause you're beating the child and traumatizing him more. Mehn...
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Emrief(m): 2:53pm On Oct 23, 2020
Please contact jj_healthybites on instagram. They helped my son of the same group and never regret contacting them
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by ledaman: 2:54pm On Oct 23, 2020
Nothing is wrong with your son just allow him he would surely improve Medical doctor loading years to come bro.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Earnonline7: 2:59pm On Oct 23, 2020
really
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by addexx: 2:59pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy

Please do not put pressure on him. There are learning variations amongst kids. He's just 3 he will still catch up. Just try figure how best he learns and build that up. It might not be the conventional way. It might be during meals, bedtime or playtime I started reading A for Apple when I turned 6 .
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Bahamas95(m): 2:59pm On Oct 23, 2020
Uyi168:
At 3,the little boy should be able to at least read from A - Z, even if he didn't get the letters correctly.
The teacher and the school needs questioning.

Na big big money all these mushroom private school sabi charge.. angry
It's obvious you know nothing about children, some are slow learners....That boy could be a professor tomorrow.

OP should calm down jor!....He is giving that child unnecessary pressure.

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by addexx: 3:01pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy

Please do not put pressure on him. There are learning variations amongst kids. He's just 3 he will still catch up. Just try figure how best he learns and build that up. It might not be the conventional way. It might be during meals, bedtime or playtime I started reading A for Apple when I turned 6 . $
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Sabenko: 3:04pm On Oct 23, 2020
Dont ever beat him over learning,he will loose interest in learning. At the age of 3, he should be exposed to fun activities, like learning alphabets and numbers through songs on youTube. Buy flashcards and let him enjoy learning. Children are also different, his learning pace might be different, dont rush him, only encourage him. My daughter can be slow at things but i only encourage her and let her grow at her own pace
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by mabeni(m): 3:06pm On Oct 23, 2020
That boy is too young for this stress. My friend ifeayin started reading in jss2 at the age of 14. grin
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Nicklaus619(m): 3:12pm On Oct 23, 2020
gracechellar:
apt

Am not understanding your quote mam, kindly rephrase

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Preetylin(f): 3:15pm On Oct 23, 2020
Somethings is the school or the child might be a slow learner, if u are in Port-Harcourt I can brush him up, if not just get a home lesson teacher for him.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by AtoningBlood(m): 3:18pm On Oct 23, 2020
3 years old and you're worried already? Stop beating and ask the mum to stop it before he becomes intimidated.

My kids of the same age, one learns so fast, at her age you don't teach her the same thing twice, she started reading at age 3+, could read 2 and 3 letter words. At 4 she's already reading and call for assistance where she's is finding it difficult.

But my son who's the same age with her is not the case, still trying to learn a to z and write well, 2 letter words is had to pronounce at age 4, i personally took it on my self to take teach him when i have the time, he started improving cos I know what to do.

Children are not the same, your kid will pick up soon and the speed will amaze you.

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by ihejirika: 3:21pm On Oct 23, 2020
Oga pls leave that boy alone. In canada here children start school at 5 and at that 5 what they do is colour and playing with numbers and letters. They emphasize on children playing at the playground alot and parent reading stories to children. Children hear start learning properly at 6 years. It is believed scientifically that their brain is well matured at six for learning. The mentality of naija putting a child in school as age 2yrs is wrong
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Londonpraise(f): 3:22pm On Oct 23, 2020
I have a boy if 10 years currently staying with me....he can't even read alphabets not to talk of write...I just started teaching him since he came.

I enrolled him in school within this short period school was I'm session and with the teacher advice to me...he can now read and write alphabets for a start.

Buy cardboard paper write alphabets on it then cut them all out, use it in teaching him...teach him how to arrange them from there he'll know which comes after which and how to write them...
Any letter that's difficult for him, keep bringing it impromptu for him to call out and master it.

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by jeromestarks: 3:22pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
Give me one month with him and he would read and write.
I stay on the Plateau! Send me a DM if you're interested.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by PresidentJosh20(m): 3:23pm On Oct 23, 2020
Richy4:
What is wrong with this OP? I wish I can just see you and tell you what I thought of you...

How does it even feel when you were typing this nonsense that a 3 year old can't read?...

Instead of buying picture books and asking him/her to identify the object.. or do some coloring.... anyways, i don't blame you..... because I believe some parents here will tell you how their kids or neighbors' kids passed WAEC while they were 8months and how they graduated from Oxford university at 12... undecided Mchtttwwwwwwww!!
Lol.Baba cool down,sir.He is here to learn and you and I owe him just that.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by elabhawealth(m): 3:25pm On Oct 23, 2020
call this number maybe I can help.+2348067733249
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Briller: 3:27pm On Oct 23, 2020
Lol. Mothers and panic sha. Madam, pls he is just 3years. You should be worried when he can't read and write from 5years.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by authority2006(m): 3:32pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111
most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick

This is not necessary at all. This was how we handled my first daughter but after that, I leant that that wasn't the best way. Her younger ones were just allowed to learn at their own pace.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by ceeceeuwa: 3:34pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
Oga please take a chill pill! You're being too hard on the kid. All he needs now is to learn through play. Take him to a good Montessori school, and you will see improvement with time. He is still a toddler!
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by authority2006(m): 3:35pm On Oct 23, 2020
YoungAncient1:
Yours is even better, the kid of a close friend has refused to speak even at 3 years of age. He plays a lot, shouts, but If you ask him anything, he won't say a word. Sometimes I feel he is doing it deliberately because he hears fine and when you call him to come he can say "no"

Lol. Nothing serious. My boy was close to three before he started speaking and he also understood when he was spoken to

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by tricia77: 3:49pm On Oct 23, 2020
I take nursery 2 classes which comprises of 3.5yr -4,yrs
First term we do 3 letter words ...if at 3 yr your son cant recognize Capital letter's.... Then I would advise introduction of educational paper crafts related to alphabet identication ....counting aids like standing colourful abacus...

Above all..your wife should take time out and pray for her son

Beating him will make him coil inwards making it hard for even the most annionted teacher to succeed
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by gracechellar(f): 3:52pm On Oct 23, 2020
Nicklaus619:

Am not understanding your quote mam, kindly rephrase
I said your point is apt

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Bennytwin: 3:56pm On Oct 23, 2020
I am replying you as someone who presently have a 3yrs old girl.

For starters,I think girls are faster learner's than boys of the same age. I might be wrong though.

I will like you to know your boy is doing amazingly well,amazingly because he has only just concluded pre nursery obviously and is yet to enter nursery 1. In Nigeria,nursery 1 is the class where children are taught writing alphabets and numbers so he is on track.
Pls note that some children that entered nursery one before 3 years will be able to do this better than their counterparts that read pre nursery at 2.

Secondly,I want to appreciate your wife for her time and effort in managing two kids. It is not easy.
But I would like to advise she reduces the beating,children don't learn well with lots of beating

Finally a solution for you; I will advise u employ a home teacher for him. Yes u heard me!
I am not in anyway saying ur wife isnt doing well,infact she is doing great. But children of that age learn better with a stranger!!!!!
I didn't believe when someone told me till I tried it on my girl. My girl likes learning but hates being told what to do while learning it...like she wants to write A for instance but won't let u hold the pencil while she writes. It became frustrating,we employed a home teacher that comes 3 times a week....that same girl that hated being held now writes A-Z just from 2 months of external help!

I really hope u get to read this and employ this means. In a month,you will see amazing difference!
Why you may ask?...he will know there is a time of learning for those days the home tutor comes. Also he will be paid the utmost attention for each period she is around. Again,it will reduce the beatings given to him by his mum who is frustrated with his learning steps.

NB..... I will say this categorically as someone who has been exposed to lots of children behaviour; NOTHING I repeat NOTHING is wrong with your son of 3 yrs old who reads numbers and is yet to identify alphabets.Absolutely NOTHING!!!!
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by imagrg(m): 3:59pm On Oct 23, 2020
He is a slow learn. Don't rush through the alphabets. Teach him using the 'play way' method. Use videos for kids from YouTube to teach the alphabets using songs. He learns fast that way.
And more importantly, allow a different person to teach him; not you or mummy. That way he would be more attentive.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Ogume Grammar School Delta Shuts Down, Female Student Murdered In Cult Clash / Sexual Assault, Corruption: UNICAL Law Students Protest Against Cyril Ndifon / See The Book Recommended By My Neighbours School For Her 7yr Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.