Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,635 members, 7,801,833 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help (42924 Views)

Meet The White Britons Who Cannot Read Or Write In English / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education / Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by tricia77: 3:59pm On Oct 23, 2020
ihejirika:
Oga pls leave that boy alone. In canada here children start school at 5 and at that 5 what they do is colour and playing with numbers and letters. They emphasize on children playing at the playground alot and parent reading stories to children. Children hear start learning properly at 6 years. It is believed scientifically that their brain is well matured at six for learning. The mentality of naija putting a child in school as age 2yrs is wrong

Ha......i take a 1.9year old girl who was restless but got brighten up once her mum enrolled her

She can identify A and B

Colour red yellow n blue

Some kids r hyper while some just don't like stress ....lolzz
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Nicklaus619(m): 4:00pm On Oct 23, 2020
gracechellar:

I said your point is apt

Oh okay cheesy

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by abuaaliyah(m): 4:03pm On Oct 23, 2020
3 years is too early to complain, at what age does a child suppose to start school self? bro you need to calm down everything na small small
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by ETEYEN79(m): 4:04pm On Oct 23, 2020
Please relax your mind, my little boy is 3 too, he knows nothing at all for now, can't even count 1-3 needless of saying 1-10, don't even know A yet, but I'm not bothered.

With time they'll get it, in the olden days, kids of 3 will never be let away from their mothers side, but today we push kids as if we kept something for them to become at tender age, so, free the little lad, he'll be fine to your surprise.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by PresidentJosh20(m): 4:06pm On Oct 23, 2020
Bbbwings:
Na wa o
I was climbing trees without pants at that age.
Hope you didn't tripped and landed on your fresh buttocks,sir? grin

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by chukel(m): 4:10pm On Oct 23, 2020
It maybe too early, but dyslexia should be ruled out. How is his speech. Can he at least say words other 3yr olds say properly?
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by maureensylvia(f): 4:13pm On Oct 23, 2020
Kingdemi212019:
Your pikin don choose watin go benefit am in life ,he came to the world to count money not to speak grammars

burst my brain. hahaha
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Badgers14: 4:14pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3

I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.

pls Help

concerned Daddy

Not to be a bearer of bad news to you and it is sad Nigerian medical system is very poor that the doctors couldn't run tests for autism.

Hang in there, keep doing what you are doing... try to understand your little man's struggle, it is not easy but try. Keep doing what you are doing... let him watch those educational videos you bought for him but be aware exposing him to longer screen time.

I would have said a speech therapist might help but I don't know how accessible they are around you.

Cheers man! Stay strong! Some kids do learn at different pace than others but they eventually pick up. It is okay for parents to expect their kids to phenomenal but sometimes things takes a little while to fall in place.

Another thing to reason will be , during the pregnancy, was the wife involved in an accident, did your son bump his head while still young? Just taking a holistic approach on the issue.

Cheers!
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Topshow2010(m): 4:15pm On Oct 23, 2020
@ Op ,u and ur wife are not serious at all .Your baby can even recite A to F according to u but my last born with d same age can't even mumble A to F correctly and I don't give a damn at all bcuz I believe he wud learn it at d right tym ni.
We tend to put so much undue pressure on children which is not healthy at all ,I usually tells my wife not beat my son and encourage the teachers cuz it's not easy at all teaching these children ,from my experience with him during d pandemics.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by IamAsiri: 4:16pm On Oct 23, 2020
Onyenna:
As a kid, i had issues with numbers and reading as well.....

At some point, my dad gave my younger brother and i money to count..... I was 7yrs[primary 3] and he was 6yrs[primary 2]..... He counted it perfectly and i couldn't... My dad threatened to throw me outta the 2nd floor if i couldn't count the money.... I tried severally but couldn't.... He was so dissapointed and shouted at me all night...... But my mum kept on consoling me and told me I'd get better with time. She NEVER scolded me, not even once..... My siblings actually felt something was wrong with me.....

My dad later changed us to another school where i repeated primary 3.....

And guess what...... I became a mathematician before primary 6..... I was able to read anything readable.....[I aslo went for some mathematics competitions]

I'm now a mechanical engineer and doing very okay for myself....[i aslo taught myself python programming and a lil bit of web designing]...

That your child might actually turnout to be a genius in life.... Intellectually, some kids develop very early.... Some develop late..... Or very late..... Scolding that child will put fear in him and prevent him from learning at his own pace....

The fear my dad put in me actually delayed my learning..... Thank God for my mum oooh...... I understand what my dad was trying to do back then.... He wanted me to learn fast but didn't know my ability to learn back then as a 7 year old was quite slow.....

I am really scared that I might instilled that fear in my kid. Is there a way to undo it? Please help. He gets scared whenever he wants to do his assignments. He has nearly the same issues that the OP's child too has and is already 4.

Please advise.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by nduwale: 4:24pm On Oct 23, 2020
It took me years to be able to write 3. I was Olodo.numero uno (No 1) I discovered I was not just getting what sense they tried to make then. But age helped me. I didn't go to school for 1 year, waiting for transfer certificate. That one year got me ready.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by free2ryhme: 4:26pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3

I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.

pls Help

concerned Daddy

Your child may be autistic.

Maybe it wasn't detected on time. Your wife did a poor job of managing the situation. Get a speech therapist for him and diagnosis fast
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by kikelomojessy(f): 4:27pm On Oct 23, 2020
Oga pls give the boy time, he is still very very young. You saying that he can't read a-f but can say 1-10, that's shows u nothing is wrong with him. Every child learn at their own pace.

When my sis kid was 3 years old, he couldn't talk not even talking about reading, my sis was scared of the not talking part and not even his reading or learning abilities. But when he started talking, he was slow, very slow and she even had to tell his teachers what her child was going through, but now at 11 years of age, he is better than average in his academics.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by kikelomojessy(f): 4:32pm On Oct 23, 2020
ETEYEN79:
Please relax your mind, my little boy is 3 too, he knows nothing at all for now, can't even count 1-3 needless of saying 1-10, don't even know A yet, but I'm not bothered.

With time they'll get it, in the olden days, kids of 3 will never be let away from their mothers side, but today we push kids as if we kept something for them to become at tender age, so, free the little lad, he'll be fine to your surprise.

Well said, back in the days, a child can only be admitted into a school if his/her hand can cross over the head and that should be age 5 or 6 years, for some even 7 and that's when u start learning your alphabet and numbers.

But now, everything is a rush. Especially with the internet, when u see how intelligent others kids are, u might start looking at your kid the other way. Every child will learn at their own time.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Richy4(m): 4:35pm On Oct 23, 2020
PresidentJosh20:

Lol.Baba cool down,sir.He is here to learn and you and I owe him just that.

My brother, I didn't mean to be hash on the OP but the whole thing is really annoying.. a 3 year old toddler to read fluently? I don't just get it..

Maybe, I should have typed that I was shocked that he can't read at his age .. and probably add that all his age mates were in 2level in university.. and finally sympathise with him that it is well. God is in control.. smiley
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by HeyHey(f): 4:44pm On Oct 23, 2020
YoungAncient1:
Yours is even better, the kid of a close friend has refused to speak even at 3 years of age. He plays a lot, shouts, but If you ask him anything, he won't say a word. Sometimes I feel he is doing it deliberately because he hears fine and when you call him to come he can say "no"

@kenny1111
Same thing I was going to say. My boy did not talk at 3years, talkless of read or write anything. Sometimes (not always) this slow pace is common with first borns. Because at 2, my second born can read A-Z, 1-20, identify colours and shapes, sing rhymes and do 2-letter words.

Concerned dad, your worry is valid o. No parent wont be concerned. Here are some tips on what I did
(my boy was 3years and 9months after Nursery 1 but could only identify A-E, 1-8 or so. He could write only 1 and A, anything you ask him to spell na C-U-P, any colour you ask am na blue)

1. I changed his school, the previous school aided his laziness. If he doesnt feel like writing, he wont write (this may not apply to you and xhange of school now is expensive if you consider uniform etc). The teacher writes for him too, shuuu, I ran with my hand and leg o. I put him in a better school, but I DIDNOT repeat his class ie Nursery 1 again, because I believed he will catch up. In that class the kids could spell their names, do basic math + -, write, 1-100, Aa-Zz, copy from board. His dad say, this boy doesnt know 1-20, how do you expect him to cope, the kids in that school are too intelligent for him etc.

2. I reduced how I beat him drastically, because I dey flog faya oo cheesy, his dad will talk "wetin the small pikin know, when you dey flog am like this". I noticed I was not correcting anything, just killing the boy's spirit with each stroke. I go beat am so tey the whole book go soak with cry, because his inability to write and read (which was not his fault) annoyed me, I was an inch close to toxicidity. His crying, distorts his understanding

3. I employed home lesson teachers and I watched their methods. They (the first one was always full of excuses for missing the classes without calls or text sef, I pursue am. Im a mother on a mission, i no get time for "swegbe" levels) never flogged, they employed alot of motivation and sometimes scare (when he starts over familiarity)

4. I bought white board and marker, the teachers taught him with the board and when they werent around, he wrote on the board. The different colour of marker dey sweet am to use.

5. I greet the class teacher once a month with 500 recharge card, she con carry his matter for head. She taught him extra, was more attentive to him. Now, why am I saying this, if you meet his teacher after curfew to query her or ask questions that make her seem incompetent (even if she is), it may backfire. People respond better to encouragement, "Aunty XYZ, I know the calibre of teachers here oo (praise her small, mk all head swell). Please what is going on with my kid?, ehennn okay, what is your system of teaching?, is there a play-away method or any method used to help them remember?? Etc. The answers she gives, may be helpful to your wife in teaching him at home

6. I taught him any day his teachers didnt come like sunday, I used words like "You can do it...", when he does he go reply "I did it" , "Be focused, be bold and be confident in what you know (since he always ask me, mummy "is 2 like this, will D face this side, is this how to etc". I did assignment with him, I didnt leave home work for lesson teacher (teach your own)

7. I got loads of placards, A-Z, 1-100, 2-4 letter words. I played ABC song everyday. I gave him small cane, make he take dey teach him baby (I was surprised at how much he knows).

8. I visited the school atleast once in 2weeks to check their book, ask about their progress. My schedule is flexible, so I go in the morning, spend like 30mins. I once caught him unaware doing spiderman laro kutukutu (very early, dey dirty him clean uniform, he shock when he see my straight face cool, I nearly burst laugh grin

Every child is different, some learn early. Some will get to 4 -5 , 6 sef before them pick up. You just do your path, the day that boy picks he will be super smart because he don get small sense join.

Ps: He is 4years+ now, I spelt CIRCLE wrongly, baba come correct me oo. After 4 month of my "Operation you must pick up".
Now I buy him novels, he dey read to me.
I started with Queen Premier 1, 2. Then I got Peter and Jane series 1a, 1b. The school gave him 3 books from WAP series, then I bought 3 more from book shop. Baba dey read everything as at June/july this year.
He dey solve addition and subtraction unassisted, he doesnt always get the right answer but its always close.
He has started learning time and how to read "my book of bible stories".

The time line : September 2019- date, as at June/july, he had caught up (all that lock down period, I dey fire am back to back. He finish his text book, I bought the next class). When I got lesson teacher, I was a bit relieved too, stress of 2 kids ( I no maid) fit mk person taya, vex dey carry beat these kids.

Concerned Dad, with a little consistency all will be well. That you are worried means you are kuku on the right track. Hope these tips were helpful

Mind you he plays oo. Most evenings, sundays too. He watches NatGeo Wild and JimJam every day for some hours (disney junior sometimes but just Bluey, T.OTS and Puppy Dog Pals, the rest shows are not as educative)
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Kekenapep: 4:45pm On Oct 23, 2020
NEVER EVER allow your wife to beat him again regarding his learning. You will make him hate learning. Are you guys illiterates? Haba

You are not good parents......infact you are BAD parents for doing that. Encourage him and make learning fun. Hope his school is not like home in the beating part.

I can already sense that you speak down on him at 3 Years old. Both you and your wife need help. You are not ready to raise a child. You lack the emotional maturity to lovingly raise children.

If you were abroad social services would have come for ur children

More comments later.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by folu4real(f): 4:49pm On Oct 23, 2020
Kingdemi212019:
Your pikin don choose watin go benefit am in life ,he came to the world to count money not to speak grammars

grin grin grin
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by EmmaOgbu(m): 4:52pm On Oct 23, 2020
My daughter is 3years and 4 months.

She can read 1 to 30, A to Z, but it was my wife that thought her that.

So give them little of your time.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by iamme1234(m): 4:55pm On Oct 23, 2020
Stop stressing your self 80% of kids that are 3 years old cant read nor write at their age.
Leave the boy alone wen the right time comes he would be the best kid in studying so far.
He is a slow learner
After-all our president is a dullard yet he is ruling the educated ones.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by kennykg(m): 4:59pm On Oct 23, 2020
Please test to know if he's Dyslexia,Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by amakadlite(f): 5:03pm On Oct 23, 2020
Only three years you are suffocating the little boy. yes we are in jet age, but ha, the boy is till okay within his developmental stage. trust he will pick up gradually when it's time.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by josiegirl27: 5:03pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
your concern is quite understandable. As a private school teacher ,here are a few things I hope you and your wife put to practice.
1: replace your beatings with praise and reward, children like to please , it brings them joy when they know that you are pleased with them.
2: Exercise patience and repetitive learning. Be firm but not agressive
3: learn your child, his/her personality. What entertains him or bores him.
4: encourage progress . Don't make learning look tedious
5:I do agree that at this age he should be able to identify letters and numbers, but his brain is developing at his God given pace. Hence wait.
6: once he turns 4 or 5 engage a private lesson teacher
7: He is not at the age for this panic yet. Allow that child enjoy his childhood.
Goodluck.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Osahonfer(m): 5:06pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
Oga when u where 3 years old, here you able to read and write?
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by ibinaboonline: 5:06pm On Oct 23, 2020
I understand your anxiety but remember he's still a toddler. Plus, your wife better let up on the beating because that's bound to be counter productive.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by ceaserian(m): 5:07pm On Oct 23, 2020
Just get him a teacher
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Chinny024(f): 5:09pm On Oct 23, 2020
Henceforth, quit the mindset of over expectations on that child....
He is under undue pressure to learn....While the beating?...As a matter of fact, he is anxious due to the abuses bestowed on him!!!
Beat him from now till Buhari wakes up,he can't learn it
Allow him to learn at his own pace abeg....
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Rok01: 5:13pm On Oct 23, 2020
When you keep trying something time without number and it's not successful give yourself a little break then try again.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by ericmor: 5:20pm On Oct 23, 2020
daomi:
Even buhari gan can not read

Lol. Una for dis country sha. No be una still talk say na writing speech him dey give una. How him con dey take read am. But seriously, buhari brain has returned to the one of that boy age
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by wewe1(m): 5:21pm On Oct 23, 2020
At 3 years old, I was still sucking my mama breast dedicatedly. No school, no ABC... Just suck, play, suck, eat amala and ewedu, sleep and suck again. And I am not doing bad Financially, professionally, maritally, maritally, mentally.....

Slow down bro every child is unique, let him take his time, Ben Carson and Les Brown were declared "educable mentally retarded" at a point in their life but today, they have imparted this generation one way or the other.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by HeyHey(f): 5:22pm On Oct 23, 2020
frank417:
Me na primary 6 I begin read grin

grin
Shuu, lwkm
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by HeyHey(f): 5:26pm On Oct 23, 2020
ernecy:

I know how u feel about ur son because I had similar experience about 2 years ago. My son was over 3yrs but couldn't write 1 to 10 let alone A to C. you and your wife will continue to flog, pray and blame ur kid, thinking they is something wrong with him but I tell you he is an in intelligent child in a wrong a school. the school is the problem. All u have to do is change his school, not to the most expensive but the school with experience teachers who knows how to impact knowledge into ur kids. it took my son only 3 days to start writing from to 1 to 10, 1 week he was writing to 50 and now he is a genius, who can read and even do simple mathematical operations. I am sure his present school have plenty of inexperienced teacher and most time they just keep ur kid busy with cartoon and other TV shows. Like I said don't always go for the expensive school. up

Na true...you see, I never even read all these people own before I write epistle and na same thing we dey talk.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Sexual Assault, Corruption: UNICAL Law Students Protest Against Cyril Ndifon / Ogume Grammar School Delta Shuts Down, Female Student Murdered In Cult Clash / See The Book Recommended By My Neighbours School For Her 7yr Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.