Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,212 members, 7,780,386 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:25 PM

My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls (2080 Views)

I Am Scared! My Wedding Is This Month & I Haven't Told My Fiancé About My 3 Kids / Justice Anthony Okoro: DNA Confirms My 3 Kids Are Not My Biological Chidren / HELP: My 3 Year Old Son Can't Do Without Cartoons, Stays Awake Till Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by Jamixlee: 4:52am On Oct 23, 2020
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by otipoju(m): 5:50am On Oct 23, 2020
pozehnani:

SMH..
Wait until you see her mate commanding letters and writing artistically by what time youll have made her pixa grip stiffened. Then you'll know the importance of doing things at the right time.

You better go and enroll her now.

Lol. There is no rush to anywhere. Childhood is ultra important. 3 years...let her enjoy her life.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by ORIAYO70(m): 7:39am On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but

due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was

teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a

mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she

told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad

these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3
I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought countin

g and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.
pls Help
concerned Daddy

posted this on Other Educstion sections as well so as to have a wider views an

d opinions

thank u

Op with due respect u get problem
In child psychology, there something we called: Child Readiness to Learn,

The child will learn gradually don't force him....
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by pozehnani(f): 8:37am On Oct 23, 2020
Hathor5:

What kind of British curriculum are you talking about? Formal education in GB begins at age 5.

kenny1111
At age 3 a child is unable to think in abstract terms. Even if you drill the child to identify letters and numbers, he will not understand the concept behind them so take it easy. At this age teaching should be play-based and you should take advantage of the child's natural curiosity to discover the world around him.

Teach him about flowers, trees, animals, colors, food, cars, weather, the sun, the moon, the stars, anything that arouses his curiosity. Encourage the child to ask questions.

Make sure the child gets to move a lot and also focus on the development of fine motor skills meaning that you should help the child use his hands by making him play with dough or help you cook or do gardening. Get him construction games (building blocks) and help him hold pencils appropriately (something that is often neglected). Pay attention to how he eats and brushes his teeth and encourage him to do better.

You can train his cognitive skills by making him recite numbers till 10 or 20 but literacy should be focused on his oral skills (pronunciation, speaking in full sentences) and his receptive abilities (listening). Reading books to children is very beneficial. Make a habit of it by reading bedtime stories. There will come a time (usually around the age of 4) when he will ask about letters and will want to write his name all by himself. This is where the power of intrinsic motivation kicks in and the time to teach him how to write the first words. Don't rush it.

Train his memory by teaching him short poems for children, rhymes and songs. Children love it.

Do not underestimate the potential of fine arts in the early development. It also helps develop fine motor skills and creativity which will lay the foundation for problem solving skills.

Don't beat the child. Children love to learn. Beatings will make him hate it. Don't destroy the eagerness in him by doing what is not age appropriate. Use his natural curiosity to make learning fun.

Well in Nigeria that is what most schools use and they start from1yr+ in kindergarten to learn recitation of alphabet and numbers. Then identification of objects through pictures and what they can see around like I said earlier on.

It's like a competition among schools now taking the babies to Cambridge level but then most times it the parents who push these schools to do these things.

It is well.
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by pozehnani(f): 8:45am On Oct 23, 2020
otipoju:

Lol. There is no rush to anywhere. Childhood is ultra important. 3 years...let her enjoy her life.

Lol.. yes o my dear but it still you parents that won't allow us to rest.
Some parents expect so much from a toddler especially when they see a rare child doing excellent stuff. Theyll be like "lagbajas child can count london bridge railings, if you don't make child count it as well I'll remove him from this school" huh?? Lol... So, thats what we are facing these days. But I'm equal to the task. If you want it rush rush, we do rush rush. Lol.
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by yvelchstores(f): 8:56am On Oct 23, 2020
Even you didn't read at 3.watch those videos at your peril

1 Like

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by ayotukanmi(f): 9:11am On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read
pls Help
concerned Daddy

thank u
Dear OP,
Please go through this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3388640/life-teacher
And if you have anymore question, please mention the owner of the thread on a dead thread(because she doesn't take Pm's) . She's an educator, somebody I would trust anyday anytime.
Shalom
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by DrFunmisticGlow: 9:30am On Oct 23, 2020
Is it me, or a 3year old child too young to go to nursery?

3year old should still be in playgroup and learning rhymes. A 3 year old not being able to write ABC

Please at OP. You and your wife should take it easy. The child will develop at his pace.

3 Likes

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by Mindlog: 9:35am On Oct 23, 2020
Hathor5:

What kind of British curriculum are you talking about? Formal education in GB begins at age 5.

kenny1111
At age 3 a child is unable to think in abstract terms. Even if you drill the child to identify letters and numbers, he will not understand the concept behind them so take it easy. At this age teaching should be play-based and you should take advantage of the child's natural curiosity to discover the world around him.

Teach him about flowers, trees, animals, colors, food, cars, weather, the sun, the moon, the stars, anything that arouses his curiosity. Encourage the child to ask questions.

Make sure the child gets to move a lot and also focus on the development of fine motor skills meaning that you should help the child use his hands by making him play with dough or help you cook or do gardening. Get him construction games (building blocks) and help him hold pencils appropriately (something that is often neglected). Pay attention to how he eats and brushes his teeth and encourage him to do better.

You can train his cognitive skills by making him recite numbers till 10 or 20 but literacy should be focused on his oral skills (pronunciation, speaking in full sentences) and his receptive abilities (listening). Reading books to children is very beneficial. Make a habit of it by reading bedtime stories. There will come a time (usually around the age of 4) when he will ask about letters and will want to write his name all by himself. This is where the power of intrinsic motivation kicks in and the time to teach him how to write the first words. Don't rush it.

Train his memory by teaching him short poems for children, rhymes and songs. Children love it.

Do not underestimate the potential of fine arts in the early development. It also helps develop fine motor skills and creativity which will lay the foundation for problem solving skills.

Don't beat the child. Children love to learn. Beatings will make him hate it. Don't destroy the eagerness in him by doing what is not age appropriate. Use his natural curiosity to make learning fun.

Well written. Am furthering studies in clinical child psychology and hope to get certifications in play therapy along the way because play is the natural language of children.

1 Like

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by neyofather(m): 12:38pm On Oct 23, 2020
Pls try and change the school.
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by LadySarah: 12:45pm On Oct 23, 2020
DrFunmisticGlow:
Is it me, or a 3year old child too young to go to nursery?

3year old should still be in playgroup and learning rhymes. A 3 year old not being able to write ABC

Please at OP. You and your wife should take it easy. The child will develop at his pace.

hmm. Don't mind the nonsense going on in Nigerian private schools.
2 yrs is playgroupoo even that playgroup they will not let them play only to be bombarding me with homeworks everyday.
I jejely do it for my children because I have already warned them not to force them if they don't want to learn nor flog them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by Hathor5(f): 1:11pm On Oct 23, 2020
pozehnani:

Well in Nigeria that is what most schools use and they start from1yr+ in kindergarten to learn recitation of alphabet and numbers. Then identification of objects through pictures and what they can see around like I said earlier on.

It's like a competition among schools now taking the babies to Cambridge level but then most times it the parents who push these schools to do these things.

It is well.

Parents do not have the necessary qualifications to dictate the curriculum but the Ministry of Education may not have them either. grin

2 Likes

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by Hathor5(f): 1:11pm On Oct 23, 2020
Mindlog:

Well written. Am furthering studies in clinical child psychology and hope to get certifications in play therapy along the way because play is the natural language of children.

Very interesting subject.
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by pozehnani(f): 1:18pm On Oct 23, 2020
Hathor5:

Parents do not have the necessary qualifications to dictate the curriculum but the Ministry of Education may not have them either. grin

You'll be surprised it's the parents who dictate what the schools should do these days and it so disturbing as these school owners who are scared of losing pupils keep bending the rules due to threats from these same parents to withdraw their wards from the school. So, it's a case of "he who plays the Piper dictates the tune."

1 Like

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by GboyegaD(m): 1:26pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3
I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.
pls Help
concerned Daddy

posted this on Other Educstion sections as well so as to have a wider views and opinions

thank u

Please give him time and stop comparing his performance with others. He sure will catch up at the right time. Beating does not increase IQ nor intelligence.
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by Hathor5(f): 1:27pm On Oct 23, 2020
pozehnani:

You'll be surprised it's the parents who dictate what the schools should do these days and it so disturbing as these school owners who are scared of losing pupils keep bending the rules due to threats from these same parents to withdraw their wards from the school. So, it's a case of "he who plays the Piper dictates the tune."

Like I said, this is actually the job of the Ministers of Education but in Nigeria any idiot who has money can open a school and run it without the necessary qualifications and concepts. If schools are profit organizations without any overseeing boards monitoring them, expect chaos.
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by pozehnani(f): 1:32pm On Oct 23, 2020
Hathor5:

Like I said, this is actually the job of the Ministers of Education but in Nigeria any idiot who has money can open a school and run it without the necessary qualifications and concepts. If schools are profit organizations without any overseeing boards monitoring them, expect chaos.

Lol.. Hathor5 please I can't laugh. It's a serious matter down here.

Which Minister of Education? Inspect what? Is our Educational system working?
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by Hathor5(f): 1:37pm On Oct 23, 2020
pozehnani:

Lol.. Hathor5 please I can't laugh. It's a serious matter down here.

Which Minister of Education? Inspect what? Is our Educational system working?

I know. This is what I am trying to say.

The only thing you can do is have enough expertise to explain to these parents what is age appropriate.

2 Likes

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by pozehnani(f): 1:38pm On Oct 23, 2020
Hathor5:

I know. This is what I am trying to say.

The only thing you can do is have enough expertise to explain to these parents what is age appropriate.

Sure. You're right.
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by DrFunmisticGlow: 2:08pm On Oct 23, 2020
Read this story to my mum and she had this to say.

Back in her time, you didn't enter primary school until your hand could cross over your head and touch the other ear. That was like age 6 or 7. Don't let reading and writing be the only way you use to measure your child's intelligence.

She also recounts the story of how my cousin got admission in my primary school. My primary school was and still is the best, most affordable school in area. It was a Catholic school,the nuns were strict, and the propietress was a white lady. So my aunt took her first daughter to write thier entry exams at the age of 5 into their nursery class. But wasn't accepted.

My mom and aunt refused to believe that she could fail her entrance exams and made a ruckus in the school,so she was told that the reason why the girl failed, was because her exam sheet was blank. She didn't write anything, and just kept looking around at everybody even though the teacher kept asking her to write. I don't think her little mind had realised the importance of the situation, (that she was in an entrance exam). We then joked that maybe she thought she was in a party, since everyone wore mufty to the exam.

My mum, aunt and my dad were able to convince the teachers and head mistress to let her rewrite the exam, but of course, this time, she was alone. She wrote when asked to this time and she said the teacher told her that she scored very high marks hence got the admission.

She also recounted how my little sister the in primary 1(now in the same primary school that we all went to)noticed that her grades were slipping. Turns out, she wrote rubbish on her notes frequently, lines not straight and letters and numbers scattered everywhere, her teacher would then flog her instead(the lady was also my primary one teacher too). she later became too afraid to do her classwork, and chose to stop writing in her book everytime or get her patner to help her.

There were warning signs at home though, apart from the fact that she continued to write rubbish at her assignment, I noticed that if we dictated the assignment to her, she would write it down correctly, but it was never on the line. We also kept noticing that whenever watching TV, she would come directly in front of the TV to watch and block everybody's view.

My mum before they resumed the next term took all her kids to an eye clinic that was doing free check-up for children at the time. It was there we discovered, that sis was extremely short sighted and needed glasses. It was the reason she could not see the board especially as she sat at the middle of the class, not in front as my mom requested.(back then wearing glasses was rare as most children were from low-middle income households)

When she resumed next term, her grades improved significantly. But what deteriorated was her relationship with that teacher, as we came to find out in the coming years.

So the morals of this story is that,

1. Be patient with your child, their pace is different.

2. Are you sure the boy is seeing properly?

3. Beating a child never helps.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by eyinjuege: 3:35pm On Oct 23, 2020
Hathor5:

kenny1111

Thanks
saved me writing an epistle.
Nigerian schools enjoy making children cram things, and then dump it on paper cheesy
Please make una allow children be children biko

3 Likes

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by blank(f): 4:41pm On Oct 23, 2020
pozehnani:

SMH..
Wait until you see her mate commanding letters and writing artistically by what time youll have made her pixa grip stiffened. Then you'll know the importance of doing things at the right time.

You better go and enroll her now.

Lol. What are they commanding the letters to do?
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by blank(f): 4:51pm On Oct 23, 2020
3 years is still early. Allow him to learn via playing. Please stop beating him. Let him colour, cut out shapes with a pair of scissors, and most importantly, please can you read to him. Read together, use imagination to make up stories. That's how he will learn. Anytime you're climbing steps, count each step together. When you take walks together, point out the colours of the trees, grass etc. Make it fun and not a chore.

1 Like

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by pozehnani(f): 5:16pm On Oct 23, 2020
blank:

Lol. What are they commanding the letters to do?

grin lol

I mean writing and blending sounds to build two letter words.
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by mylovee: 7:47am On Oct 24, 2020
A child will start learning when he is ready to learn. You need to encourage him him and make the teaching fun. With time, he will be the first person to get his books for learning. I am a living example and my five years old son did the same and today, he has started putting things together and even teaching his baby sister.
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by MummyAA: 9:41am On Oct 24, 2020
Don't worry dear, I still remember when my son can't write figure 2 and almost everybody in his class could do that then. I became worried too but today he comes top in his class.

Summary of what I said is don't always judge at this early stage but keep teaching and guiding him , he may end up becoming the smartest.
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by bjprodint(f): 1:11pm On Oct 24, 2020
the problem is not the child or the school,the problem is the mum and u.you both didnt start teaching d child early.my daughter learnt how to write number 1-3 from home before starting school at age 2.
she wrote number 1 to 5 at first week of resumption,her teacher was amazed,although she couldnt talk r call me mummy at that age.

i did my home work as a mother before sending her to school and i continued helping her at home.

i made her love books on time without using force

1 Like

Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by LadySarah: 5:21pm On Oct 24, 2020
bjprodint:
the problem is not the child or the school,the problem is the mum and u.you both didnt start teaching d child early.my daughter learnt how to write number 1-3 from home before starting school at age 2.
she wrote number 1 to 5 at first week of resumption,her teacher was amazed,although she couldnt talk r call me mummy at that age.

i did my home work as a mother before sending her to school and i continued helping her at home.

i made her love books on time without using force

try it with your son and give us feedback and be very truthful at it.

Nothing is wrong with that child .
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by Toeyean1507(f): 8:54pm On Oct 24, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3
I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls Help
concerned Daddy

posted this on Other Educstion sections as well so as to have a wider views and opinions

thank u
Hello sir. Thanks for trying to be a good father.
My suggestion to you is that you and his mum should desist from flogging him and introduce pre writing skills(curves, dash, stroke and slants) to him.
You can employ a tutor who is very good at the Montessori method of teaching too.
I believe with time, he will improve.
Re: My 3 Years Old Son Cant Read Nor Write, Help Pls by CanadianNaija: 8:13pm On Oct 25, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

thank u

It’s in Nigeria they do this over sabi. What does a 3 years old really know about reading or writing? At that age they should be more interested in singing and rhymes.

In most developed countries, school starts at 5years because that’s when their brains are developed enough to retain that kind of information. All the early school we have been attending in Nigerians where has that gotten the country?

Please ask your wife to stop beating the poor child so he doesn’t come to associate learning with pain.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Married With Weak Erections And Erectile Dysfunction. / For Women: How To Secure Your Marriage / Woman Stabs Husband To Death At Their Home (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.