Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,013 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:54 AM

Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday (7087 Views)

MURIC To Law School: "Do Not Sandwich Salah Day For Us" / Ruling On Fasting On Your Birthday And On The Birthday Of The Prophet / Islam's Prophet Muhammad's 'Timeless' Pandemic Advice Goes Viral In 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by Realismailakabir: 1:11am On Oct 23, 2020
Question

Is it permissible to fast on the birthday of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) on the basis of the hadeeth in Saheeh Muslim, al-Nasaa’i and Abu Dawood, which says that when he (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was asked about fasting on Mondays, he said: “That is the day on which I was born…”

Praise be to Allah.

Firstly: 

Muslim (1162) narrated from Abu Qataadah al-Ansaari (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was asked about fasting on Mondays and he said: “On (that day) I was born and on it Revelation came down to me.” 

Al-Tirmidhi (747) narrated, in a hadeeth that he classed as hasan, from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Deeds are presented (to Allah) on Monday and Thursday and I like my deeds to be presented when I am fasting.”

Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi. 

From the saheeh hadeeths quoted above, it is clear that just as the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) fasted on Mondays out of gratitude for the blessing of his birth on this day, he also fasted it because of its virtue, because the Revelation came down to him on that day, and on that day deeds are presented to Allah. So he (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) liked his deeds to be taken up when he was fasting. The fact that he was born on that day was one of several reasons for fasting that day. 

If a person fasts on Mondays, as the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) did, hoping for forgiveness on that day, out of gratitude for the blessings that Allah bestowed upon His slaves on the day – the greatest of which blessings is the birth of His Prophet and His sending him – and hoping to be among the people who are forgiven on that day, then this is something good and is in accordance with what is proven of the Sunnah of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him). But he should not single out one week for that to the exclusion of others, or one month to the exclusion of others. Rather he should do that as much as he can on a permanent basis. 

With regard to singling out one day of the year for fasting it, in celebration of the birth of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), this is an innovation (bid‘ah) that is contrary to the Sunnah of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him). The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) fasted on Mondays, and no other day, but from year to the next, his birthday may come on that day or any other day of the week.  

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/137931/fasting-on-his-birthday-and-on-the-birthday-of-the-prophet-blessings-and-peace-of-allah-be-upon-him

3 Likes

Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by Realismailakabir: 1:17am On Oct 23, 2020
Summary to the Answer: it is Sunnah to fast every monday and thursday of the week because it was the day (monday) the holy prophet was born. but if the annual birthday falls on anyday of week i.e. tuesday it is not permissible to fast in respect of that. because the holy prophet never do that and didn't command us to. and if it falls (his birthday) on monday or thursday we can fast not in respect of his born-day but because it is usual to fast on it every week. may Allah guide us.

6 Likes

Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by Kherdija(f): 7:03am On Oct 23, 2020
Ameen ya Rabby.Jazakallah khairan

1 Like

Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by Jikolo9: 10:27am On Oct 23, 2020
Allah guide us

1 Like

Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by Oxtonguy: 10:30am On Oct 23, 2020
smiley
Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by sunshineV(f): 10:31am On Oct 23, 2020
how many times he don fast on my birthday?

14 Likes

Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by zeeprince(m): 10:33am On Oct 23, 2020
may Allah protect us from this fitna in our country and keep all of us intact.

4 Likes

Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by abdulizom(m): 10:40am On Oct 23, 2020
Jazakumullahu khairan, may Allah reward you
Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by ANTIlSLAM(m): 10:48am On Oct 23, 2020
Muhammad that wasn't circumcised needs your fasting right? Quran/hadith has finish you slaves

2 Likes

Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 23, 2020
You are on your own on this man. Playing with things higher than your IQ
Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by fatymore(f): 10:52am On Oct 23, 2020
Please...

Leave whosoever derail the thread to dwell in their foolishness.

Giving them an audience is tantamount to derailing the thread too. If we can ignore them, they will get tired and stop.

May Allah ease our affairs and make Nigeria habitable for us.

Jazakum lahi khayran

4 Likes

Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by ume1000: 11:17am On Oct 23, 2020
Anytime I see an Islamic thread ,I get fascinated by the numbers of blessings said when Mohammeds name is mentioned , Muslims are the worst fanatic on earth

Is Mohammed cursed ?

How does your blessings help a dead man for Christ sake

5 Likes

Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by Predator1: 11:33am On Oct 23, 2020
Nice write up. May Allah increase you in knowledge and understanding. Keep up the good work.
Jummah Mubarak.

1 Like

Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by FuckOsuPigs: 12:14pm On Oct 23, 2020
ume1000:
Anytime I see an Islamic thread ,I get fascinated by the numbers of blessings said when Mohammeds name is mentioned , Muslims are the worst fanatic on earth

Is Mohammed cursed ?

How does your blessings help a dead man for Christ sake

Sheybi you are a Christian abi? And that's what your bible tells you? Wehdone!
Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by ume1000: 12:31pm On Oct 23, 2020
FuckOsuPigs:

Sheybi you are a Christian abi? And that's what your bible tells you? Wehdone!

The Bible does not support creepy nonsense

If you call Mohammed name 1000 you would say peace be unto him 1000 times

The lot of you are in a trance

1 Like

Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by hayzed1090: 12:37pm On Oct 23, 2020
You are on your own on this man. Playing with things higher than your IQ

You hardly see muslims commenting on xtian threads but you find it so difficult to mind your own business when it comes to islamic threads. Funny enough , you claim to be very smart with high IQ.
Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 23, 2020
you are as dumb as your fucking illiterates pedophile prophet cheesy grin grin☺️☺️ how will your modafucker Allah give me peace while terrorising the whole world grin grin
Allah (SAW) AKA See We Terrorist is a caveman Arabic idol grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
well, Alhamdulila I'm a Muslim..to you My brother, May The Achitect of Creation, Allah, bring you peace..
Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by FuckOsuPigs: 3:01pm On Oct 23, 2020
ume1000:

The Bible does not support creepy nonsense

If you call Mohammed name 1000 you would say peace be unto him 1000 times

The lot of you are in a trance

Same for Jesus, same for Moses, same for Noah and all other prophets. You can google it. We say peace be upon them...alayi salaam. That's what we say for them.

But, you can say whatever you like. Like I said, you are a Christian, I needn't worry myself about your opinion.
Re: Singling Out A Day For Fasting On Prophet Muhammad Saw's Birthday by mjabdulk: 3:24pm On Oct 23, 2020
Celebrating birthday of Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu alyhi wasallaam) is prohibited in Islam.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Eid Al Adha ? / Ruling on Saying the Takbeer (Allaahu Akbar) loudly behind the Imam / The Fatal Error Of Allah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.