Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,893 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. (5561 Views)

My 2-Year-Old Daughter Is Using Foul Words / The Father Of My 2 Kids Took Them Away From Me Unlawfully, Deceitfully / Body Of 2-year-old Boy Trapped In Well For 12 Days Is Found In Spain(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Xundi73: 2:13pm On Nov 03, 2020
patani:

Scientifically, a child has ability to learn and speak up to 5 languages while growing up. Although, it is recommended that we speak our indigenous language to our children as they are genetically inclined towards it...However, 2 years is too early to be worried about a child speaking, I will advise youw wait till he is 4 years old before being bordered..If at this time he is nt speaking, then you can consider speech therapist

Thanks
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Moonlightsun117: 2:50pm On Nov 03, 2020
Pls allow the boy everybody at his own pace. My daughter at 2 also have sesame challenge but I don't bother, because I know she will talk since she has started saying some few word. To tell something funny she walked at 7 months. So relax
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by olaniyisal: 6:32pm On Dec 20, 2020
Any update
Hope he has improved now

Xundi73:
Greetings,

My family has become very worried because our 2 year old (27 months) son doesn't talk yet and doesn't seem interested in making effort to talk.

The only word he says almost correctly is BYE whenever someone is leaving the house. However he has his own version of 'daddy' (ampu) & 'mommy' (mei).

He is smart however, but just not interested in talking and sometimes it appears he does not understand when you give him instructions, other times he'd do exactly what you ask him to do. He plays well with his older siblings who started talking well before 2.

We have ruled out hearing issues as he seems to hear when music or sounds he likes come on tv, he would start dancing to music he likes even if he's not seeing the TV.

Has anyone here had experience like this? Should we be more worried? What can we do to help our son start talking.

Mods please help put this on front page so we can get enough help/opinions - thanks.

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Xundi73: 6:02pm On Jan 08, 2021
Unfortunately he hasn't improved yet on issue of speaking but he grows and develops normal, so we are being patient until he is 3 years.

Thanks for checking on us.
olaniyisal:
Any update
Hope he has improved now

Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by mutter(f): 8:45pm On Jan 08, 2021
Please get your child examined.
It's very important that you rule out any condition that the child might.
My son is autistic and it only became obvious when he was getting to like 2.
He started saying some words but the language didn't develop. Also selected Intrest, he only reacted ro things and sounds that interested him.
Autism comes in different forms.
Early diagnosis andbsupport can change a story around.
At age 5 he was diagnosed as being mentally hadicaped and was non verbal.
At age 6 to 7 he was talking and diagonsised as above average... However he still need to develop in certain areas.

I explained my experience in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mqUuN5-Q2I

1 Like

Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Angelacruz: 9:09pm On Jan 08, 2021
Xundi73:
Greetings,

My family has become very worried because our 2 year old (27 months) son doesn't talk yet and doesn't seem interested in making effort to talk.

The only word he says almost correctly is BYE whenever someone is leaving the house. However he has his own version of 'daddy' (ampu) & 'mommy' (mei).

He is smart however, but just not interested in talking and sometimes it appears he does not understand when you give him instructions, other times he'd do exactly what you ask him to do. He plays well with his older siblings who started talking well before 2.

We have ruled out hearing issues as he seems to hear when music or sounds he likes come on tv, he would start dancing to music he likes even if he's not seeing the TV.

Has anyone here had experience like this? Should we be more worried? What can we do to help our son start talking.

Mods please help put this on front page so we can get enough help/opinions - thanks.

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
he will speak well when that stage come...there are three language development stages children pass through. The babbling stage,.The one word at a time stage eg bye,come.Two words at a time stage eg need water,me food etc Third stage are three words at a time eg I want rice,I am hungry etc.Madam pls don't stress your self...infants have different stages of language development.Moreover,he is still in his infant stage.Continue interacting with him with time,he will speak well.

1 Like

Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Angelacruz: 9:16pm On Jan 08, 2021
Xundi73:

No one has pressured the child and no one will. I'm seeking opinions to calm my wife's worries. Thank you.
Tell her to read on language development in infants. She should don't pressurize d infant
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by missphumby(f): 6:49pm On Oct 21, 2021
I have a similar situation, is your child talking now

1 Like

Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by bsalawu: 2:22am On Oct 22, 2021
Broz, nothing to worry about... trust me! He will speck. Children differ.

My Son is a living example. Don’t waste money ooo. As far as you said he says Bye... baba no worry yourself!

Go on youtube on Nigeria Info Fm page... watch the interview and people’s experience! I think 2-3 months ago. Once you hear other people experiences, you go clam down say no Lele
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Xundi73: 1:56am On Dec 06, 2021
missphumby:
I have a similar situation, is your child talking now
No he hasn't started talking yet, but he continues to grow and develop normal with no signs of disability or deformity - so we are consoled by that and have given him all the time and love he needs to learn to speak/language on his own pace.

Just like us, be hopeful that yours will speak too, at his/her own time. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Xundi73: 1:57am On Dec 06, 2021
bsalawu:
Broz, nothing to worry about... trust me! He will speck. Children differ.

My Son is a living example. Don’t waste money ooo. As far as you said he says Bye... baba no worry yourself!

Go on youtube on Nigeria Info Fm page... watch the interview and people’s experience! I think 2-3 months ago. Once you hear other people experiences, you go clam down say no Lele

Thanks for this, we appreciate.
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Detonator: 11:53am On Feb 03, 2022
Xundi73:

Thanks for this, we appreciate.
Same situation here with my 2 years +.
She rhyme all her nursery songs, can open gallery and play her favourite on phone
She just started school and can rhyme the national Anthem within 2 weeks but still no talking apart from bye bye, biscuit, water , I'm fine (vua fan).
She is very playful and mix easily with other kids
No hearing problems or being detached
She does not gesture but will bring her can of biscuits and be shouting biscuits when she feels hungry
So far we are waiting patiently

1 Like

Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by 1F30M4(f): 1:28pm On Feb 03, 2022
Couldn't help but chuckle while reading through especially the dancing part cos I can somehow relate to that grin grin grin They're always so full of energy. OP, how's the little chap doing?

1 Like

Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by nat138: 6:13pm On Feb 03, 2022
Xundi73:

No he hasn't started talking yet, but he continues to grow and develop normal with no signs of disability or deformity - so we are consoled by that and have given him all the time and love he needs to learn to speak/language on his own pace.

Just like us, be hopeful that yours will speak too, at his/her own time. Thanks

I know this is an old thread but from my observations, despite advise given to have your child medically checked, you have not responded to any of those as to whether you've sought such interventions, it is okay to be positive that children develop differently, however what harm could medically checking out the child do? Won't you rather he is given the all clear medically and you know it is just a waiting game for when he is ready to talk? Your initial post was made when the child was 2, if he is almost 4 years old and the same issue persists, I will suggest you conduct all checks (his hearing, his tongue and even other mental development checks). Has he started school yet or his siblings are still the only children he interacts with?

1 Like

Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by TheCongo2: 2:48am On Feb 04, 2022
Xundi73:

Thanks.
When he wants something, he pulls the nearest person by the hand, lead you to where the item is and points, when you ask what he wants and he perceives you are waiting for him to make a sound, he gets very frustrated.

So long as he can communicate using gestures, there is no much to worry about.
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by TheCongo2: 2:53am On Feb 04, 2022
eyinjuege:

You should be very worried. Take him to a paediatrician. I hope he doesnt have a tongue tie and I hope his hearing is OK too. One of the commonest causes of speech delay is when a child can't hear properly, so they don't know words.
By age 2, they should have a vocabulary of at LEAST a 100 words (whether english or your native tongue)

Tongue tie can't limit someone to know many words. It can only affect them to speak properly.

100 words by 2 year old? Please, enough with this pressure on kids. Each child develops at his own pace.

At least I would agree with you when it comes to hearing test.
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by TheCongo2: 2:55am On Feb 04, 2022
Oizee:
very smart baby , abeg Liv, he's only taking his time

I have heard that as well
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by TheCongo2: 3:02am On Feb 04, 2022
mutter:
Please get your child examined.
It's very important that you rule out any condition that the child might.
My son is autistic and it only became obvious when he was getting to like 2.
He started saying some words but the language didn't develop. Also selected Intrest, he only reacted ro things and sounds that interested him.
Autism comes in different forms.
Early diagnosis andbsupport can change a story around.
At age 5 he was diagnosed as being mentally hadicaped and was non verbal.
At age 6 to 7 he was talking and diagonsised as above average... However he still need to develop in certain areas.

I explained my experience in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mqUuN5-Q2I

Your son was no verbal at 5.
Does he talk properly now ?
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by justified007: 6:55am On Feb 04, 2022
Xundi73:

Thank you, his all-round development is impeccable. He walked at 11 months, he has grown almost full set of child-teeth and seems tall for his age. Just his lack of interest to learn to talk or even blab

His ability to say bye and to move to dance when he hears songs he likes has made us rule out deafness or being mute (dumb).

I have encouraged the mother to worry less, let him take as much time as he needs and when school reopens we will enroll him into school before worrying about possible deformity if he still doesn't want talk when he is more than 3 years

Go and enrol that boy is school sir and be playing lots of nursery rhymes for him . Nothing is wrong with him and you will be surprised by the time he start talking grin grin grin

That's how my friends child refused to walk at 18 months and hates to be made to stand talkless of encouraging him to walk, the boy will be crying ni but he knew everyone's name at that point and he will be shouting our names . They just woke up one day and saw him walking ni

1 Like

Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Xundi73: 5:57am On Feb 09, 2022
nat138:

I know this is an old thread but from my observations, despite advise given to have your child medically checked, you have not responded to any of those as to whether you've sought such interventions, it is okay to be positive that children develop differently, however what harm could medically checking out the child do? Won't you rather he is given the all clear medically and you know it is just a waiting game for when he is ready to talk? Your initial post was made when the child was 2, if he is almost 4 years old and the same issue persists, I will suggest you conduct all checks (his hearing, his tongue and even other mental development checks). Has he started school yet or his siblings are still the only children he interacts with?

Thank you for this; we have done hearing tests and all that you mentioned and nothing was seen to be wrong.

He's almost 4 now, growing up well/normal but still can't speak. He has an android tablet and he has mastered all the games and apps on it and play them like a pro - at least he's cognitive is good (for me).

The other good part is, he mixes and plays well with his siblings and they seem to understand him even without him voicing out his words.
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Xundi73: 5:58am On Feb 09, 2022
1F30M4:
Couldn't help but chuckle while reading through especially the dancing part cos I can somehow relate to that grin grin grin They're always so full of energy. OP, how's the little chap doing?

Growing up well/normal just doesn't speak yet
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Xundi73: 6:02am On Feb 09, 2022
justified007:

Go and enrol that boy is school sir and be playing lots of nursery rhymes for him . Nothing is wrong with him and you will be surprised by the time he start talking grin grin grin

That's how my friends child refused to walk at 18 months and hates to be made to stand talkless of encouraging him to walk, the boy will be crying ni but he knew everyone's name at that point and he will be shouting our names . They just woke up one day and saw him walking ni

This is his second year in school. There's definitely some lag because of the communication issues but he's started writing numbers and some letters now.

He's growing up well generally and doesn't show any sign of deformity except for the speech/language issues
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by kiddkash(m): 4:26pm On Feb 09, 2022
is the child making irregular noises?
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Oyindidi(f): 9:44pm On Feb 09, 2022
Xundi73:

Thanks for your comments.
1. I just registered today, I have used nairaland as a guest member for some time.
2. I opened this to seek opinions to calm the wife's mind. I'm not at all worried like her. I myself didn't stand or walk until I was more than a year old.
3. I don't expect perfect diction or a sentence from him. If you read our worries objectively you'd have seen the part that I mentioned he is not interested in talking or making efforts at all.

Again thanks for your comment
The mother no be your wife, I go confuse too if I be your 2 years old son. The story be like fake story
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Xundi73: 2:54am On Feb 20, 2022
Oyindidi:
The mother no be your wife, I go confuse too if I be your 2 years old son. The story be like fake story
Thanks. Please move on with your confusion/confused mind.

1 Like

Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Xundi73: 2:57am On Feb 20, 2022
kiddkash:
is the child making irregular noises?
Yes... In trying to communicate, he ends up 'speaking in tongues'
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by eyinjuege: 6:42am On Feb 20, 2022
Xundi73:

Thank you for this; we have done hearing tests and all that you mentioned and nothing was seen to be wrong.

He's almost 4 now, growing up well/normal but still can't speak. He has an android tablet and he has mastered all the games and apps on it and play them like a pro - at least he's cognitive is good (for me).

The other good part is, he mixes and plays well with his siblings and they seem to understand him even without him voicing out his words.

What have the paediatricians said about him?
I hope they have seen and assessed him. If not, make that a priority please.
He may just be on the autistic spectrum and may have the mild form.
Though it's reassuring that he is able to play well with his siblings, but is he able to play well with other children or he's a loner?
What does his class teacher think about his behaviour in school?
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Amazinggrace71: 12:46pm On Mar 22, 2022
Xundi73:
Greetings,

Mynd44
Lalasticlala

Try Suprabrain. My sister uses it for her autistic son and we're seeing some nice improvements in his speech. It may help you
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by johhbekeboh09: 2:33pm On Mar 22, 2022
Xundi73:
Greetings,

Mynd44
Lalasticlala

Does your family speak many languages?!
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by ridbay(m): 7:34am On Sep 12, 2022
Hi, I'm experiencing the same with my boy.. He's 2 years..

Could you please give us updates?
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by Lamanii22(f): 12:56am On Sep 16, 2022
Hello I’m experiencing this with my almost 2yrs old daughter, she recognizes and understands things, watches her favorite nursery rhymes but she’s not talking plus she’s clingy to me and kind of shy…. How far with your son now Op?
Re: Help, My 2 Year Old Does Not Talk Yet. by LalastiklaIa(m): 2:55am On Sep 16, 2022
I didn't start talking until I was 4. Now I am more eloquent than those that started at 1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Have A Confession " I Slept With My Foaster Father And Now Am Carrying His : / 1 Million Dollars ($1m ) To Sleep With Your Wife For Just One Night / The Never-Let-Go Loving Father (Inspirational Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.