Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,767 members, 7,802,344 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Installing A New OS With Another OS - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Installing A New OS With Another OS (2826 Views)

A Fully Free Desktop OS (Is This A New OS?) / Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive / How Do I Re-load Apple Os With Xp? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Installing A New OS With Another OS by maxjax(m): 8:18pm On Jun 25, 2007
Please guys and computer gurus, thanks in advance.

I want to install a new OS to my existing Windows Vista.

I don't want to loose both Windows Vista And Windows XP.

Please tell me the steps to take guys. Thanks.
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by kpomkwem(m): 8:47pm On Jun 25, 2007
This article might help. It shows how to dual boot XP and Vista:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6157570.html
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by ima1(f): 5:59am On Jun 26, 2007
make sure u have xp on ur system 1st b4 installing vista
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by maxjax(m): 6:25am On Jun 26, 2007
I already hav vista in d system, and nw i want xp but dnt wanna loose d vista. Get it!
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by kemiluv(f): 9:55am On Jun 26, 2007
Is ur system partitioned? If not. U'll need to partition ur system first to be able to dual boot and then u load xp first before vista. This is no problem if u have the installation disks for ur vista and xp available. Because in the process of creating ur partitions u'll have to format ur system and lose everything u've got on it. Do u get it
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by emirategun(m): 11:35am On Jun 26, 2007
The rule of the thumb here is always to load a previous/earlier version before the more recent one, otherwise the Vista gets corrupted. So every previous explanation is spot on.
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by taofeekcom(m): 11:51am On Jun 26, 2007
well,to the best of my knowledge, you don't need to lose any data because u want to dual boot,technology has far advanced more than that.what u really need to do,if your hard disk is not already partitioned then you can partition it using partition Magic software (probably 8.0 version or later version ,hope it works with vista cos some softwares are not compatible with vista,but if it is windows XP you have on your PC before ,you can conveniently partition with partition magic 8.0 before you now install vista on the other partition) ,you can then load the XP CD ,the 2 partitions will be highlighted when the SETUP gets to a stage,You will the select the partition in which u want the installation of the new OS.

For more Call:08053331257      Email: taofeecomsc@yahoo.co.uk  

Good lock.
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by Dynast(m): 11:55am On Jun 26, 2007
The basic fact is to install two operating system in the same machine
Lower OS must be installed before the higher one, in this case you have to install WinXp first b4 installing Vista.
Now that you ve installed Vista first You can get another HDD and install Xp and during booting you enter setup and choose either of the 2 hard disk you want to boot from
the 2 HDD should be connected 2 diff IDE channel and set the jumper to master
Alternatively using an Os ghosting software to ghost WinXp into the HDD containing the Vista after creating a folder it will reside if the HDD does not hav more than one partition, u can modify the AUTOEXEC file to invoke that Win XP at booting or you can write a batch file that will be able to copy essentail files to ur win registry and as well enable it to be called up at booting so that you can select either of the operating sys to boot into.
B4 u follow this second option you must back up all essential files as you may not yet be used to this option.
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by inze(m): 4:00pm On Jun 26, 2007
Seriously and confidently speaking, if you stick to Dynast, taofeekcom and kemiluv's advice, you won't miss a track.

Best of luck

I n z e
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by mrdan(m): 4:10pm On Jun 26, 2007
Hi, If u already have vista installed, no problem just follow the instructions at dis site, they guide you on what 2 do.

www.pro-networks.org/forum/about88231.html

had the same problem wit my laptop, followed der advise and it worked, am using vista n xp pro together.
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by wormedup(m): 7:35pm On Jun 27, 2007
taofeekcom:

well,to the best of my knowledge, you don't need to lose any data because u want to dual boot,technology has far advanced more than that.what u really need to do,if your hard disk is not already partitioned then you can partition it using partition Magic software (probably 8.0 version or later version ,hope it works with vista because some softwares are not compatible with vista,but if it is windows XP you have on your PC before ,you can conveniently partition with partition magic 8.0 before you now install vista on the other partition) ,you can then load the XP CD ,the 2 partitions will be highlighted when the SETUP gets to a stage,You will the select the partition in which u want the installation of the new OS.

For more Call:08053331257 Email: taofeecomsc@yahoo.co.uk

Good lock.

this would be for a desktop and not a laptop right ?

and to all; i think we are not considering warranty validity with dual boot. i know HP does that a lot.

anyways, the link from mrdan says it all cool
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by bjcisse: 9:54am On Jun 28, 2007
I think if you go with the above solutions the gurus in the house has give, you will be fine, but if you re an advance user, and u run vista first or you have partition your entire hard drive to install vista, you can always find your way around it without formating your hard drive to dualboot both vista & Xp. All the above recommendations are right and that's microsoft recommendation for standard users,

For Advance users, you can either have any of the vista or xp boot first, run fresh startup installation, i.e boot from the installation CD, follow the installation procedures and insist you want to install the os on same partition but different installation folders, In your C: drive where you have your windows installation folder, i.e "WINDOWS", You can specify different folder to sit the new install os and proceed with your installation. Remember the both os will use the same boo.ini file
. when installation finish, go an manipulate your boo.ini files (becarefull in this area as you may stop your both os from starting up) to change the time limit and the order of boot process.

waiver: DO NOT FOLLOW THE ABOVE STEP IF YOU RE NOT AN ADVANCE USER OF MICROSOFT WINDOWS OS
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by RuuDie(m): 3:37pm On Jun 28, 2007
guys, need advice. didn't wanna start a new thread since they're somewhat related!

i've got this Acer Aspire 3000 laptop, dual boot --- WinXp professional and WinXp home; the latter came pre-installed on the system.

problem is whenever i'm working with the WinXp professional and electricity supply goes out the system hangs - it just stops working but doesn't go off until the battery's run down !
checked to see if the battery is recognized by the OS and it is, so am at a loss ! there anybody that could help ?
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by drkchoclit(f): 8:08pm On Jul 02, 2007
Kind of on the same theme, how about "dual booting" my desktop that has (gasp) Windows 2000 and I want to add XP?

I refuse to upgrade to Vista yet.
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by osteen(m): 2:01pm On Jul 03, 2007
well u have all the right suggestion on how to do the task but note that when u use partition magic to create partition in a hdd that have be partition previously u still stand d risk of lossing ur data, so back up ur user file be4 u attempt taofeekcoms experiment cheesy
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by maxjax(m): 9:59am On Jul 05, 2007
exactly!!!!
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by RuuDie(m): 11:19am On Jul 05, 2007
hey guys, got more issues - just got cause to restore my Xp Home OS and did but now i can't access the Xp Professional OS on the other partition c'os the multi-boot menu option don't come up; what do i do ?
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by Tini(m): 6:42pm On Jul 06, 2007
There is no boot.ini file anymore. you can use the cmd line tool even beter. So, here was my (resolved) problem. I laptop came with vista preinstalled,I ran into a few compatability issues so i wanted to still use windows xp.i decided to partition the hard I used the build in partition maker to first
shrink the size of my current partition,
and second
format the empty space as ntfs

then i installed windows xp (from boot)

Now, that made it apear that windows vista was gone, as it would not be posible to put in into windows xps boot.ini file

i could get vista up by puting in the dvd and repairing it

i could get xp back up by puting in the xp cd and repairing it

it was clear the only option was to use vistas boot manager.

SO, i will tell you how to ADD xp (or anything else really) to your vista booter.

1. Open a Command Prompt window with elevated privileges.

The Command Prompt window must have elevated privileges, even if you are a member of the Administrator group on the computer.

Click the Start button, point to All Programs, and then click Accessories.

Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run Elevated. (aka run as administrator)

Next, see what you have to work with

type in
"bcdedit /enum all"

This will pop up all the bits of things you can add and use (hopefully you will see something like "windows legacy os" or "earlier version of windows"
that is the one you will be interested in

right now, make note of the identifier (copy it)
you will need it later, it will be somehting like "{

8602c25-5097-11da-99de-000802209f1b}

after
you know what you want to add, you need to copy your current

configuration

to do this
tpye in

"bcdedit /copy {current} /d AnyName" and obv you can change
"anyname" to "whateveryouwant"

now here is the quicy
part

we need to add our {8602c25-5097 etc} to apear
after our {current} configuration
so, we need to add the
option for windows xp to apear below the windows
vista

to do this
"bcdedit /displayorder
{current} {instert your big number here}" where that umber i had you
copy earlier
is suposed to go in the second
bracket

After all these steps completed,you should reboot your computer.
Re: Installing A New OS With Another OS by Ralvy(m): 2:54pm On Jul 16, 2007
well,to the best of my knowledge, you don't need to lose any data because u want to dual boot,technology has far advanced more than that.what u really need to do,if your hard disk is not already partitioned then you can partition it using partition Magic software (probably 8.0 version or later version ,hope it works with vista because some softwares are not compatible with vista,but if it is windows XP you have on your PC before ,you can conveniently partition with partition magic 8.0 before you now install vista on the other partition) ,you can then load the XP CD ,the 2 partitions will be highlighted when the SETUP gets to a stage,You will the select the partition in which u want the installation of the new OS.

For more Call:08053331257 Email: taofeecomsc@yahoo.co.uk

Good lock.

This is not possible. For instance you have an 80GB HDD and you installed Vista, the installation will use up 95% of the hard disk space if you do not partition the drive before installing windows, so my guy - backup, format and partiton your drive properly maybe 50% of the HDD for each partition and you will get your Operating system running fine.  Make sure your system spec. meets the requirements in order not to mess your sysyem up.
In my case, I use a HP Advent Duo, 2GB ram, 200GB HDD, Double Processor and I use all these operating systems;
Windows Vista, Windows XP Unlimited, Ubuntu 6.06lts and Ubuntu 6.10. My system still runs fine with optimized performance.

(1) (Reply)

Glo-1 Submarine Cable / How To Download Youtube Videos / The Possibilty Of Browsing The Internet With Dstv, Hitv, Mytv, Trendtv Decoders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.