Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,519 members, 7,801,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo (47293 Views)

Gunmen Trapped Inside Jos Prison After Attacking The Correctional Centre / Nine Fleeing Inmates From Oweri Correctional Centre Re-Arrested In Ghana / 17-Year-Old Boy Released From Correctional Centre By Kogi Chief Judge (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by EngrHumble(m): 8:10am On Oct 25, 2020
A total of 25 inmates, out of the 1,900 inmates, who escaped from Oko and Sapele Road Correctional Centre popularly called White House, Benin last Monday when hoodlums masquerading as #EndSARS protesters stormed the two prisons, have voluntarily surrendered themselves to the authorities.

One of the inmates, who gave his name as Alex Ose, 40, a taxi driver, said that he has been awaiting trial since 2014 when he was arrested for armed robbery in the Edo State capital of Benin.

Ose, from Esan, Edo State and a father of four said that he decided to heed the call of Edo State Governor Godwin Obaseki and surrender himself because he is innocent of the charges against him and was supremely sure that he will be vindicated by the court.

The awaiting trial inmate, one of the 1,900 escapees who spoke with Tribune Online, however, confessed that the escape provided him a perfect opportunity to be home with his wife and children, adding that he ran in the ensuing bedlam when the protesters stormed the correctional centre and ordered them to escape.

The inmate pleaded: “I am innocent of the allegations against me. I was framed up. I am appealing to Governor Obaseki to look into my case. I have every opportunity to run but chose to surrender myself because I am not guilty. The governor should please look seriously into my case. I am innocent.”

A source at Sapele Road Correctional Centre who would not want his name in print said that one of the escaped prisoners was shot on the leg and caught on Wednesday when he was sighted near the correctional centre but took to his heels when he was ordered to surrender himself to the authorities.

The source disclosed that two out of the 25 inmates who returned were from Oko Medium Correctional Centre along Airport Road, Benin, assuring that they will be returned to Oko when the situation returns to normal.

According to him, the Department of State Security (DSS), the police and officials of the Nigerian Correctional Services (NCS) will soon commence a massive manhunt for the runaway inmates once Governor Obaseki one week grace for them to return expires.

He reminded that those who escaped from lawful prison custody risked being sentenced for extra seven years if caught while those who willingly surrendered themselves will be shown mercy as promised by Governor Obaseki.

The NCS officer said: “We have a way of arresting runaway prisoners. We will swing into action once the protest calms down. The earlier they return on their own, the better for them. Those who are re-arrested will be retried and sentenced to extra seven years if convicted. So, it is in their own interest to return as the governor has given them an extra one week of grace to return.”

https://tribuneonlineng.com/25-escaped-inmates-return-to-correctional-centre-in-edo/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by Emmanuelhector(m): 8:12am On Oct 25, 2020
Only those that has less than 6 months to serve will take such decision

295 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by luv2rolly(m): 8:13am On Oct 25, 2020
Good for them, if not a quick trial I guess a State pardon awaits them..

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by Kingsasian(m): 8:13am On Oct 25, 2020
Seriously Abi na the ones wey no get hope return.

35 Likes

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by daddytime(m): 8:13am On Oct 25, 2020
Eyyyaaaa

Perhaps the outside seemed more unfriendly to them.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by Zionmdde: 8:19am On Oct 25, 2020
good
I wish a lot of dem made videos and let d world know of their predicament before returning . this will make people fight for their release.
all innocent inmates should return before they become guilty on the ground of escaping detention. It's better to await justice dan to live d rest of ur life running

176 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by kuuljay(m): 8:20am On Oct 25, 2020
What is tinubu name doing in the.news...i don tired of this name

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by luv2rolly(m): 8:22am On Oct 25, 2020
Emmanuelhector:
Only those that has less than 6 months to serve will take such decision

This one you de think like that abi you be one of them?

10 Likes

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by lawalosky(m): 8:34am On Oct 25, 2020
they beter return honorably o.
by the time there names, address and photos are uploaded online, your guest is as good as mine

1 Like

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by majamajic(m): 8:39am On Oct 25, 2020
Life imprisoned ones can't come back

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by swiz123(m): 8:49am On Oct 25, 2020
This is surely a contender for worst fake news for 2020.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by godforus(m): 8:53am On Oct 25, 2020
swiz123:
This is surely a contender for worst fake news for 2020.

Gov't damanage control. Trying to psycholoyically put it into our minds they still reserve fear, respect and authority.

No correctional services inmate in this Nigeria will ever return. That rotten place, malaria-infested, without toilet facilities and staple food.

Mtchew

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by swiz123(m): 8:55am On Oct 25, 2020
godforus:

Gov't damanage control. Trying to psycholoyically put it into our minds they still reserve fear, respect and authority.

No correctional services inmate in this Nigeria will ever return. That rotten place, malaria-infested, without toilet facilities and staple food.

Mtchew

You might even be shocked that the prison Warden doesn't have precise details of those inmates.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by slimfit1(m): 8:58am On Oct 25, 2020
They talk as if they have the facility to get these people, they are bluffing mate. DSS to talking where is Shekaru? The only know how to chase innocent people always running from serious battle.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by mightyhazel: 9:43am On Oct 25, 2020
majamajic:
Life imprisoned ones can't come back
their sentences might be commuted to between 3 and 10 years. better that lifing when caught again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by mightyhazel: 9:46am On Oct 25, 2020
slimfit1:
They talk as if they have the facility to get these people, they are bluffing mate. DSS to talking where is Shekaru? The only know how to chase innocent people always running from serious battle.
Do they have resources and supports to live like shekau..?

This is their opportunity to chance some leniency /clemency and live normal lives in tge nearer future.. like someone said,the innocent ones can state their cases now via videos. the guilty but penitent ones can appeal for clemency.
Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by homosapien(m): 11:27am On Oct 25, 2020
slimfit1:

Try and commit a criminal offense, then you know if the state has the resources to hunt you down.

Security agencies chose to look the other way necessary doesn't make them incompetent.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by majamajic(m): 11:39am On Oct 25, 2020
mightyhazel:
their sentences might be commuted to between 3 and 10 years. better that lifing when caught again

Nigeria get data ?
Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by soundOsonic: 12:38pm On Oct 25, 2020
Those whose sentence is between 1-10years remaining will return to complete theirs, I don't expect anyone on death row or life imprisonment to return.
If you are a prisoner and your remaining years is less than 10, it is wise you return o, if you are caught, your sentence will double and you will regret escaping.

5 Likes

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 25, 2020
grin
Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by slimfit1(m): 4:03pm On Oct 25, 2020
homosapien:

Try and commit a criminal offense, then you know if the state has the resources to hunt you down.

Security agencies chose to look the other way necessary doesn't make them incompetent.

They are incompetent abeg

1 Like

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by homosapien(m): 4:06pm On Oct 25, 2020
slimfit1:

They are incompetent abeg

Totally disagree with that submission.

10 Likes

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by slimfit1(m): 8:08pm On Oct 25, 2020
homosapien:

Totally disagree with that submission.

They are not trained 80% of them are never going to be caught.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by DenreleDave(m): 9:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
undecided

According to him, the Department of State Security (DSS), the police and officials of the Nigerian Correctional Services (NCS) will soon commence a massive manhunt for the runaway inmates once Governor Obaseki one week grace for them to return expires.

I pity innocent people wey dem go pack for street oooo...

If u dey Benin and u no dey among, better get sense and find sumwer safe ooo

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
Well that's the best thing to do
Them fit run but them no fit hide that one sure
But this news shock me for libido sha grin

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
liars
Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by Slynation(m): 9:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
"A source at Sapele Road Correctional Centre who would not want his name in print said that one of the escaped prisoners was shot on the leg and caught on Wednesday when he was sighted near the correctional centre but took to his heels when he was ordered to surrender himself to the authorities"

This people thought everyone in Nigeria is still wearing diapers, according to this statement, nobody caught a wounded suspects who was shot on the leg, suspects with chains and this season Arsenal's new kit (that prison must be nice) before this week runs out, another news will pop up saying all suspects have been rearrested...grin grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by iamleumas: 9:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
The innocent is always brave. May God help us. If the court find you not guilty of the charges, Sue them for N1b damage.

Meanwhile...,
Are you looking for a platform where you can easily Download Life Changing Christian Sermons, eBooks & Worship Songs for FREE??
Visit Naijasermon.com to download over 5,000+ Messages & Worship Songs by - Apostle Joshua Selman, Arome Osayi, Mike Orokpo, Bro. Gbile Akanni, Bishop David Oyedepo, Theophilus Sunday, Lawrence Oyor, and many other ministers.
Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by Kuginzi: 9:38pm On Oct 25, 2020
They humble themselves
Re: 25 Escaped Inmates Return To Correctional Centre In Edo by ATEAMS: 9:38pm On Oct 25, 2020
Oyyana

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Wisdom Joseph On The Run After Strangling His Wife To Death In Abuja (Photos) / Photos Of Slain Bandits In Kaduna ( Graphics) / Thief Caught Stealing From Redeemed Church In Lagos, Beaten & Paraded Unclad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.