Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,571 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

If Your Parents Asked You To Steal, Would You Obey Them? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Your Parents Asked You To Steal, Would You Obey Them? (293 Views)

The Two Greatest Commandments: How Do You Obey Them? / Churches Should Obey The Government's Social Distancing And Lockdown Order / Do You Think God Can Restore You If You Obey Him? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Your Parents Asked You To Steal, Would You Obey Them? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:31am On Oct 25, 2020
If Your Parents Asked You To Steal, Would You Obey Them?

Earlier this month, on the first day of the month (October) to be precise, the nation marked her 60th independence anniversary, However the general mood was not so much of celebration and jubilation, but one of sadness, frustration, regrets, disappointments, missed opportunities, as the nation had made only but little if any significant progress since then, with corruption being central to that outcome having seriously impeded the nation's growth.

And talk about corruption in the nation would not be complete without speaking of the role played by our Parents.

Of course, those responsible for the rape and plundering of our national Treasury have been parents more or less, but that's not the angle we'd be looking at from here, but that of a parent's influence over the actions and decisions of their children.

Now many believe that children ought to be obedient to their parents and consider anything else to be rebelliousness. Some even use the Bible to back up that view, as they also view the disobedience of one's parents as rebelliousness towards God.

But then, what if the parents of someone asks him to do something wrong, for instance, steal? Does that mean the child should still obey them even if it's wrong to do so?

Some may say, "no parent would ever ask his child to steal", but that would be tantamount to living in denial of the obvious reality of life, as even some armed-robbers are parents, so what stops them from bringing up their children in their own way?

Even the SARS which Nigerian youths were determined to end because of brutality, consists of many parents. Some of whom were responsible for the brutality faced by Nigerians. And the major basis of their brutality is a corrupted and selfish mentality as it's often connected with a forceful attempt to extort and collect bribes from Nigerians, which occasionally results in fatalities and deaths. So what makes it impossible for such ones to demand the same of their children?

The average Nigeria is said to be corrupt, which is obviously true to a considerable extent, so that makes parents to be culpable as well. So it's no doubt very possible for such a parent to ask his child to steal or to cheat. Interestingly a Nairalander confirmed this only recently in a thread he shared, when he said that his father asked him to join internet fraud. But in that case what should the child do?

Should he just obey the parent because he is bound to do so as some believe because it is his parent? Or should he disobey because what the parent asked him to do was wrong?

Perhaps this was the reason that God instead of instructing children to obey their parents said in His commandments to His people, that they should honor them, because He very well knows that it could come down to this, since humans were generally evil. So despite being parents that doesn't stop them from being evil and hence asking their children to do something which goes against His commandments like stealing:

"Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee." Deuteronomy 5:16 (KJV)

"Thou shall not steal" Deuteronomy 5:19

Hence God demand for obedience from His people was only with respect to Himself not their parents. But He just commanded that they honored them, so that even when parents were evil and asked them to do something that goes contrary to God's commandments, they could still honor them without having to obey them.

I believe that God also used that occasion to showed His people who ought to be their master, because as Jesus said, "No man cannot serve two masters". Matthew 6:24

So when one finds himself in such a position, the decision one makes proves who really is his master. If it be his parents or God.

Jonathan found himself in such a position when his evil parent, Saul, commanded him to disobey God and kill David who God had appointed to be king of Israel in his father's place, but he proved who his master was when he said:

"Let not the king sin against his servant, against David; because he hath not sinned against thee, and because his works have been to thee-ward very good:
For he did put his life in his hand, and slew the Philistine, and the LORD wrought a great salvation for all Israel: thou sawest it, and didst rejoice: wherefore then wilt thou sin against innocent blood, to slay David without a cause?"
1 Samuel 19:4-5

So he hence proved his Master was God and not his parents by the decision he made to disobey the instructions of his evil father called Saul instructions because it went contrary to the commandment of God.

Although it wasn't an easy decision for him to make as that almost got him killed, that's the price he had to pay to prove that God was his Master.

Jesus said:

Luke 14:26-27 (KJV)

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Luke 14:26-27 (KJV)

Hence Jesus showed if anyone wants to become His disciple, that God has to be the Master of the person's life above everything and anyone else, including his parents.

Therefore the question actually also determines who the Master of the person life is. If the person whose parents asks him to steal or do anything wrong and contrary to God's commandment, obeys his parent, then his master is his parents.

But if the person disobeys the parents instead, his Master is God.

Right now, Nigeria needs people whose Master is not their parents or any other persons including themselves but God, because with such Nigerians the issues of stealing, cheating, fraud, looting, bribery and ultimately corruption which has deviled this country for so long would become history.

#endpolicebrutalities
#endcorruption
#endstealing
#endfraud
#endinjustice
#endoppression
#enddomesticviolence
#endrape
#endritualkillings
#endbadgovernance

God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: If Your Parents Asked You To Steal, Would You Obey Them? by ignis: 8:33am On Oct 25, 2020
Jamb question
Re: If Your Parents Asked You To Steal, Would You Obey Them? by jesusjnr2020(m): 8:43am On Oct 25, 2020
ignis:
Jamb question
No reality question.

Today you protest #endsars because of brutalities and corrupt practices. Tomorrow you as a parent can't tell your children to follow their example because they make money as a result.

So the decisions we make today as such affect our lives in one way or another.
Re: If Your Parents Asked You To Steal, Would You Obey Them? by GolDRoger: 9:13am On Oct 25, 2020
Op if your parents tells you to go and stand in the middle of road, will you do it??

If you can answer this then u have got the answer you are looking for
Re: If Your Parents Asked You To Steal, Would You Obey Them? by jesusjnr2020(m): 9:20am On Oct 25, 2020
GolDRoger:
Op if your parents tells you to go and stand in the middle of road, will you do it??

If you can answer this then u have got the answer you are looking for
Okay. Thanks.

Of course I wouldn't obey them.

1 Like

Re: If Your Parents Asked You To Steal, Would You Obey Them? by appishani1(m): 9:50am On Oct 25, 2020
Are my parents bigger than God again what type of stupid question is this
Re: If Your Parents Asked You To Steal, Would You Obey Them? by ABOVEDELAW: 10:32am On Oct 25, 2020
WHAT A QUESTION, THE BIBLE ONLY TOLD CHILDREN TO OBEY THEIR PARENTS IN WHAT IS GOOD.

(1) (Reply)

Join Me To Celebrate Jesus! / Preaching In Motor Parks: Hustle Or Envangelism / Please Help Me Out...i Am Confused..Please Save me from this..I am tired

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.