Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,192 members, 7,780,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:25 PM

A Career In Investment Banking Or IT Industry? Please Advice Me. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Career In Investment Banking Or IT Industry? Please Advice Me. (310 Views)

This Happened In My New Work Place. Please advice / Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking / My Salary Is Way Lower Than My Colleagues, I Am In Pains!! (please Advice) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Career In Investment Banking Or IT Industry? Please Advice Me. by LegitBoyy: 1:03pm On Oct 25, 2020
Hello Nairalanders,

I am a legal practitioner with 2 years of professional working experience in a law firm in Nigeria. I am on the verge of a move to the United Kingdom by early next year, so I am trying as much as possible to upskill myself in preparation for the labour market over there. I have conducted an extensive research and I realized that lawyers are not in high demand in the United Kingdom generally and qualifying as a lawyer can be a very stressful venture and this does not even guarantee a job as an immigrant. I plan to still qualify as a solicitor over there though but I am trying to be as flexible as possible.

So I am considering alternative careers in either IT industry or Investment Banking or finance generally. I have a theoretical knowledge of mergers and acquisition processes, private equity, and corporate finance. I was also the best student in Economics in secondary school and my maths skills was not that bad in secondary school too. Do you think I can successfully switch from core law practice to investment banking with my educational background in humanities and having not done any calculation in 8 years? Alternatively, I am also considering switching to IT not because I have a particular proficiency there but I believe I can acquire the necessary skills if I have to do so.

Given my educational background, experience, and job prospects abroad, which will you advise that switch to ?

I will appreciate insights and views from experienced people on this platform.

Thank you.
Re: A Career In Investment Banking Or IT Industry? Please Advice Me. by Nicoswit(m): 1:42pm On Oct 25, 2020
I think the best is still I.T...I.T has a lot of fields such as data science,cybersecurity,programmers,software developers...i will advice to make a deep research on the best field that will be easy for you and at the same time in high demand in u.k....shalom
Re: A Career In Investment Banking Or IT Industry? Please Advice Me. by LegitBoyy: 3:05pm On Oct 25, 2020
Nicoswit:
I think the best is still I.T...I.T has a lot of fields such as data science,cybersecurity,programmers,software developers...i will advice to make a deep research on the best field that will be easy for you and at the same time in high demand in u.k....shalom

Thanks for your insight.
Re: A Career In Investment Banking Or IT Industry? Please Advice Me. by LegitBoyy: 7:02am On Oct 26, 2020
Comments please sad

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Best Answer If A Girl Asks What Do You Want From Me? / Is 'echoke'ing You? / I Need A Mentor In IT Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.