Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago (3287 Views)

Meet Jacob Odulate: The Man Who Invented Alabukun Over 100 Years Ago (pic) / I Have Slept With Over 100 Women – 22 Year Old Lesbian Confesses (video) / He Met Me In My Mom's Shop 10 Years Ago,Now This Is Happening; Lady Reveals.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by rainerboy1010: 8:46pm On Oct 26, 2020
JACOB ODULATE, THE MAN WHO INVENTED ALABUKUN POWDER.

The story you are about to read is about a Nigerian who shook the whole world and the pharmaceutical industry in his days. However, his constituency-Nigeria forgets him. But let’s celebrate him today because if he had been alive today, he would probably offer solution to covid 19. Enjoy your reading and don’t forget to pass your comments.

Alabukun, one of the oldest drugs in Nigeria and even still very relevant and popular today. However, not many know the Jacob Odulate aka Blessed Jacob, a Nigerian pharmacist, inventor and entrepreneur, the brain behind the brand.

The Alabukun powder is like St. Louis sugar, a product deep in Nigeria’s pop culture. Without any advert or commercial, Alabukun remains insanely popular among generations in Nigeria. It has remained relevant through the years and it is very much a household name.

The medicinal powder which is cheap was discovered by a man called Jacob Sogboyega Odulate. He was born in 1884 in Ikorodu. When he was 14 years old, Odulate was determined to make a name for himself. He trekked from Lagos to Abeokuta in three months.

He then start his pharmaceutical business in the rocky city. In 1918 Jacob Sogboyega Odulate, the Blessed Jacob, sat at the work table in his laboratory, writing the notes which contained the formula for what would ultimately be known as his famous patented medicine, Alabukun Powder that is used to treat everything from a migraine to Myocardial Infarction.

Odulate’s laboratory was located in Sapon, Abeokuta in Ogun state. It was there he mixed ingredients from Liverpool which include acetylsalicylic acid and caffeine to create the powder. A packet of Alabukun is said to contain “760 mg of acetylsalicylic acid and 60 mg of caffeine making a total of 820 mg.”

The success of Odulate’s drug is down to the fact that it is a mix of European and traditional medicine. Throughout its 10 decades of existence, Alabukun has never been advertised but it is still very much in demand.

One reason why Alabukun was not advertised was because of its ingredients. It would have made it impossible for it to be in commercials. Pharmacists would have forced the drug out of business.

Another reason for Alabukun not having commercials was because it was wildly popular when it came out. There was a huge demand from consumers.

The enduring success of the Alabukun brand is now interwoven into the fabric of modern Nigeria medical history. The Alabukun Powder in particular is displayed and sold in thousands of pharmacies, markets and roadside stalls all over Nigeria. In many states in Nigeria, Alabukun powder is considered to be the obligatory cure-all for almost every ailment.

In neighbouring countries such as Benin Republic, Ghana and Cameroon, the eye-catching Alabukun brand is to be seen advertised everywhere. Alabukun products are sold in several towns and cities in the USA, the UK, in Europe, Brazil, Jamaica, even as far away as China. You can buy Alabukun products on-line, off-line, under-bridges and over-expressways.

Apart from making the drugs, the energetic Blessed Jacob also produced other brands like Alabukun mentholine, other preparations and an annual journal called Alabukun Almanac which was widely distributed in Abeokuta and eventually all over Nigeria between the 1920s and 1950s.

He sent his children to study at some of the best universities in Durham, Newcastle, United States of America and London. e.g Miss Folake Odulate (later to become Chief. Mrs. Folake Solanke) who is the first female lawyer in Nigeria to wear the silk and she also became the first female Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN). In 1966, she established the first law firm by a Nigerian female at Ibadan, Oyo State and named it Alabukun Chambers in honour of her great father.

He died in 1962 at age 78.

Alabukun is 102 years old this year. No Nigerian product comes to mind that is a century old and still relevant.
Didun ni iranti olododo

https://oblongmedia.net/2020/05/28/jacob-odulate-the-man-who-invented-alabukun-powder/

Mynd44

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by daviesmania(m): 8:51pm On Oct 26, 2020
This powder good for subsiding highness well well....

6 Likes

Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by rainerboy1010: 8:58pm On Oct 26, 2020
daviesmania:
This powder good for subsiding highness well well....

You don't use am abi

1.Jacob Sogboyega Odulate aka Blessed Jacob was born into a polygamous family in 1884.

2.He was originally from Ikorodu in Lagos State but later moved to the neighbouring Ogun State.

3.At age 14, he trekked for three months from Ikorodu before reaching Abeokuta to establish himself.

4. Blessed Jacob managed to create a brand from what served as his consulting room and workshop in Abeokuta. His modest headquarters was at the Sapon Area, not far from where he later built his famous three-storey building in Ijemo Agbadu.

5.In 1918, he invented the legendary Alabukun powder which is now a hit in the world’s most populous nation and in other West African nations.

6.He sent his children to study at some of the best universities in Durham, Newcastle, United States of America and London. e.g Mrs. Folake Odulate (later to become Chief. Mrs. Folake Solanke) who is the first female lawyer in Nigeria to wear the silk and she also became the first female Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN). In 1966, she established the first law firm by a Nigerian female at Ibadan, Oyo State and named it Alabukun Chambers in honour of her great father.

7. Apart from making the drugs, the energetic Blessed Jacob also produced other brands like Alabukun mentholine, other preparations and an annual journal called Alabukun Almanac which was widely distributed in Abeokuta and eventually all over Nigeria between the 1920s and 1950s.

8.He died in 1962 at age 78.

1 Like

Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by Wawelexy(m): 9:22pm On Oct 26, 2020
Alabukun with 7up: cures headache
Alabukun with water: cures body pain
Alabukun with pap: cures high temperature
Alabukun with bear: hold quick ejaculation
Alabukun with gin: strong erection
Alabukun with soda: lungs cleanser for smokers
Alabukun with honey+lime: general medication.

Disclaimer: the combination listed above is not from a professional medical practional. But this has been what i hv learnt from people around me for over 3 decades while growing up and its been working, so, consumption of any this combination(excluding water, pap and 7up) is at ur own risk...

Thank you pa Jacobs, continue to rest in the bossom of the Almighty.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by Openbusiness: 9:29pm On Oct 26, 2020
Wow, nice one. We drink alabukun tire those days. Anything wey dey worry you, na alabukun be the answer. He bitter pass bitterleaf grin

3 Likes

Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by Yomit71(m): 9:54pm On Oct 26, 2020
great
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by sorority11(m): 12:34am On Oct 27, 2020
These are the things we need to be seeing in front page.
A man as at that period 1912 knew what entrepreneurship was, he started without government help, build his company to a recognizable brand.

He Was willing to trek 3 months just to establish his startup.

He might not be born with a silver spoon, but he sure ate in a silver platter.

These are the type of men we need to study in history in secondary, the man that birthed his own "Nigeria Dream"

Let the youths sit down and be waiting for government to give them work, or be waiting for foodstuff to drop at their doorstep. Or to be depending on tradermoni, marketmoni and all that.

The youth needs to arise and create startups that will cause a disruptive effect in the economy and better each others life.

Look at China with lots of startup. Their independent day is 1st October same as us. Both countries are astral twin.

"Wake up china , you wake the world"
"Wake up Nigeria, you change the world" .

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by sorority11(m): 12:36am On Oct 27, 2020
A man as at that period 1912 knew what entrepreneurship was, he started without government help, build his company to a recognizable brand.

These are the type of men we need to study in history in secondary, the man that birthed his own "Nigeria Dream"

Let the youth sit down and be waiting for government to give them work, or be waiting for foodstuff to drop at their doorstep. Or to be depending on tradermoni, marketmoni and all that.

The youth needs to arise and create startups that will cause a disruptive effect in the economy and better each others life.

Look at China with lots of startup. Their independent day is 1st October same as us. Both countries are astral twin.

Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by ghettochild(m): 8:15am On Oct 27, 2020
sorority11:

Let the youths sit down and be waiting for government to give them work, or be waiting for foodstuff to drop at their doorstep. Or to be depending on tradermoni, marketmoni and all that.

Plus that time. Nothing like government tax

2 Likes

Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by TheSERAPH: 8:18am On Oct 27, 2020

God bless your generation. Nigerians appreciates

your invention.

Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by rainerboy1010: 8:34am On Oct 27, 2020
sorority11:

They said I should call mynd44...oya over to you make I receive alart
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by tobechi74: 8:43am On Oct 27, 2020
Yoruba man with an Igbo brain
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by rainerboy1010: 8:50am On Oct 27, 2020
tobechi74:
Yoruba man with an Igbo brain

Which .....brain?

100 years ago on a no get this brain
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by Maxxim: 8:56am On Oct 27, 2020
Wow
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by rainerboy1010: 9:45am On Oct 27, 2020
Maxxim:
Wow

E shock you.....

Lol this is made in Nigeria by Nigerians
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by paulolee(m): 9:51am On Oct 27, 2020
nice one....the man is a genius because that alabukun de heal almost all pains BT I de enjoy am well wen I use am take calm my highness.
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by TheFacelessMan: 10:57am On Oct 27, 2020
shocked

Many years back, I went with this gentleman to the Forbidden Forest (Igbo Irunmole) to get the formula for this cure-all drug.

This is how it went down....

[img]https:///media/10-27-2020/K24SCf.gif[/img]

4 Likes

Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by juniorstar(m): 12:36pm On Oct 27, 2020
the highest level of human existence is creation, of something the world needs.
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by rainerboy1010: 1:25pm On Oct 27, 2020
paulolee:
nice one....the man is a genius because that alabukun de heal almost all pains BT I de enjoy am well wen I use am take calm my highness.

Watin be highness ?
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by HelenBee(f): 1:33pm On Oct 27, 2020
Alabukun suppresses my tooth ache but I find it difficult to sleep after using it.

4 Likes

Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by kayusely70(m): 1:35pm On Oct 27, 2020
Very True. The Drug Is Efficacious.
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by dhebo(m): 2:23pm On Oct 27, 2020
HelenBee:
Alabukun suppresses my tooth ache but I find it difficult to sleep after using it.
....the caffeine there works for alertness which makes sleeping difficult
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by HelenBee(f): 2:34pm On Oct 27, 2020
dhebo:
....the caffeine there works for alertness which makes sleeping difficult
That explains it then, thank you.

5 Likes

Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by Emarvel(m): 3:01pm On Oct 27, 2020
Very informative....
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by doggedfighter(f): 3:12pm On Oct 27, 2020
Never used it
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by davillian(m): 4:59pm On Oct 27, 2020
The only reason why it still sells is because of the amount of drunkards we have in the country....

Drug for drunkards...
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by sulakishop(m): 5:34pm On Oct 27, 2020
Interesting
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by Blackmoran(m): 5:46pm On Oct 27, 2020
during hang over just take one sachet of it and thank me later
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by Maxxim: 6:20pm On Oct 27, 2020
rainerboy1010:

E shock you.....

Lol this is made in Nigeria by Nigerians
E shock me oh
Yeah that so fascinating I like his story, experience like his always gives us the reassurance that there's always light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks for sharing
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by good4all40: 7:09pm On Oct 27, 2020
This is Front page worthy pls
Re: Jacob Odulate, The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder Over 100 Years Ago by Vulcanheph(m): 7:40pm On Oct 27, 2020
I can't remember how many times this powder has saved me both when I'm sick and when I'm high.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Get Free Pussy / Guys, Can You Hug Another Guy In Public? / E Get As Hookup Girl Go Bleep You And Bleep Your Dick And You Go Fall In Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.