Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,031 members, 7,807,055 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:02 AM

Nta Back In The Dayz - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nta Back In The Dayz (4620 Views)

NTA And AIT Now Praising GMB!!! / NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / What Is Primetime Jamz About These Dayz- 2face? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nta Back In The Dayz by lysaa(f): 3:16pm On Mar 10, 2011
Found this online. .guess some of you would share the same view. .

Over the last few years, Nigerian television has hit the slumps, but it used to have good and memorable times. So I tried to remember the days when men were men, when cable meant just a wire, and satellite dish did not exist, the pre- "Rich also cry" era, the good old days of NTA. Before I torture you with suspense or bore you to madness, here are the programs I remember growing up with. I tried rating them the way I enjoyed them but you are allowed to rate them otherwise.

1. Things Fall Apart - Who could forget the epic performance and the rich culture which was summed up into a 13 episode program, in my view the best production to ever come out of Nigeria and a show of what the entertainment industry can be with money and commitment. Much respect must be given to the writer, Chinua Achebe.

2.Checkmate- But for the richness in culture of no.1, this would have been my favourite, the mix and blend of the Fuji household with the Haartroopes' and and then bringing into light RMD. Each time I see a girl have a bad hair day, the word Nnkemji still comes to mind.

3. The Village Headmaster - Maybe because it was a long time since I watched this made me feel it was no.3, but no one born from the late 60's to early 80's would have said they didn't grow up with this epic show, which boasted of characters like Eleyinmi, Counsellor Balogun, the Headmaster, Garuba and a host of others. Other names like Kokosari also came from this show. Always to be remembered, a classic on it's own.

4.Behind The Clouds- This show was clouded by the death of an epic character, Nosa, which started the beginning of the end of this show. Based in the northern part of Nigeria, set at a time where politics did not dictate everything nor did religion. This was a beautiful show which had the drama and comedy all in it.

5. Fortunes- This was the Sunset beach of Nigerian programming, all actors guilty of over acting and playing roles which were really not the everyday role, yet for some reason, you were glued to you TV every Sunday to watch it. It did boast of having two former Miss Nigeria's (Regina Askia and Liz Benson) and there were flashy cars in the program and believe it or not, it had a good story line and was sometimes well acted, but the editors should be shot, imagine showing a retake scene on broadcast

6. The New Masquerade- I don't think this show really needs any introduction or explanation with characters like Clarus and Giringory. You know not until a few years back did I know it was actually supposed to be Gregory. Anyway, set in the southern part of Nigeria, and maybe the longest running program on Nigerian TV (between it and The Village Headmaster) this was and idea 30-minute comedy which had Chief Zebrudaya, Chief Dr. Jegede Shokoya, Akpena an a few other characters. If I took one thing from this show, it was the comment "Son of the Soil".

7. Mirror In The Sun- I was very young when this was running so forgive me if I don't remember much of it except the presence of Claron Chukwura in it. But I believe it was quite interesting.

8. Tales By Moonlight- For we young ones (at that time), this was our Sunday version of Sesame Street. A lot of the animal stories always had the cunning tortoise in them, but this was highly entertaining, and could almost take me off Voltron, almost though.

9. Cock Crow At Dawn- I hardly remember much of the story line to this as well, except it was set in the northern part of Nigeria, and I love the scenery at the beginning of the program with the waterfall and all, what a shame tourism was not developed in Nigeria.

10.Jaguar- The sunning Jaguar with wife race, I can't remember the name of his side kick though. Another 30-minute sitcom that was entertaining . Beautiful acting.

11.Aluwe- A spin off from Baba Mero, who died sometime and was replaced Aluwe, another fantastic 30-minute sitcom that made it in any language. Till today if you watch them on tape, they are still as funny as ever.

12. Jaguar Nana's Daughter- Another 13 series from the good writer Cyprin Ekuwesi. Don't remember much except that Jaguar Nana and her daughter were reunited sometime in the show and Achebe's daughter plays the daughter.

13. Basi & Co.- Another 30 minutes of comedy from the man who dreamt of being a millionaire, characters like Segi and Madam-the-Madam just to mention a few kept you laughing for half an hour. This was written by an acclaimed writer, the late Ken-Saro Wiwa, such talent, lost.

14. Abiku- Quite a popular showing on the Nigerian TV broadcast. This was just a 2 hour drama telling the story of the supernatural. Whatever happened to the pretty half-cast girl that was in it? Anyway, quite entertaining. For those who don't understand , "abiku" stands for "born-dead".

15. The Third Eye- After having some showing in a film like Ashanti abroad, Olu Jacobs decided to come back within his people to act, thereby bringing out the third eye with other people like Yomi Adeyemi-Wilson. Not bad for a Wednesday production.

16. The Evil Encounter- This was the baptism of horror films for a lot of us. Thanks to a few ideas pushed into my head, this film scared me more than it really should, but then again, it formed a foundation, since then of course, I have gone on to watch Evil dead, ET and Nightmare on Elm Street amongst others, but Jimi Odumosu, I had to say, did a good job (at that time of course).

17. Fiery Force- One of the early attempts of Nigerians at action films. Coming around the time we also decided to sing "Joy of Living" by Africa to Africa. Anyway, back to the film, not a bad production, and they were actually attempting to shoot the gun, not throw the bullet out of the gun like some cheap productions I have been watching nowadays, and the story line was well researched, showing how armed robbers did operate in those days. Another Jimi Odumosu production.

18. Igodo- This is a very recent production, probably, about three years ago, I was mighty impressed with almost everything about it, both storyline and acting, and also its richness in culture. I only ranked it so low, cause it is quite recent, but trust me if you ever go to Nigeria visiting or know a Nigerian movie store, please, ask for it, you would enjoy it, no matter where you come from. Makes you wonder why we don't have representation at the Movie festivals.

19. Wings Against My Soul- Don't remember much of this, was young when the production came on air, but it was quite entertaining at that time and did get a good audience.

20. Adio Family- Also, one of the early production of comedy and drama. The part I remember most of this program, was always in the beginning of the show, when a motor vehicle driver would be telling a vehicle driver to fly over him. Nice epic production.

21. Maggie Kitchen- This had mouth watering delicacies from different parts of the country and was a fantastic show to watch; production by Funmi Adeoye, it was ironic that we shared the same surname and people thought we were related, well, we were since it had positive repercussions if you get my meaning (and don't judge, you'll do the same too). nice show too.

22. Ripples- This program started well, then drowned into obscurity and is now almost forgotten, though it brought out people like Barbara Soky out again after her time in Mirror in the Sun.

Please add more.

1 Like

Re: Nta Back In The Dayz by Seun(m): 9:29am On Mar 11, 2011
Source?
Re: Nta Back In The Dayz by benedo(m): 6:21pm On Mar 11, 2011
You forgot,

Bellos'Way starring the very talented late Wale Ogunyemi

Why Worry starring the one eyed why worry the barber, which i beleive(not so sure) was acted by Akin Lewis

Hotel De Jordan of Idemudia fame from Nta Benin

There were quite a lot of others then especially in Nta Ibadan and i am not so sure which ones were on the Nta Network then

How nice it would be to have Nigerian Classic Tv slotĀ  or station to revisit these gems which can be collected from the archives of Nta stations
Re: Nta Back In The Dayz by lysaa(f): 12:29am On Mar 17, 2011
Good ones there tho i must confess i don't know most of them. LOL
Re: Nta Back In The Dayz by aliyud: 11:07pm On Mar 22, 2011
Just from the list, its easy to see how naija local programming has gone to sh*t lately,
Don't blame the cable programming, Nigerian media needs saving sad
Re: Nta Back In The Dayz by eghost247(m): 4:40am On Mar 23, 2011
Sighs memories!!!
Re: Nta Back In The Dayz by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 13, 2011
1.VOLTRON.

2.BIRDMAN.

3.TALES BY MOONLIGHT.

4.NEWSLINE.

5.SUPERTED.
Re: Nta Back In The Dayz by Dolemite(f): 9:18pm On Apr 13, 2011
Kobo close was cool. grin

1 Like

Re: Nta Back In The Dayz by akunta(f): 10:39am On Apr 14, 2011
hmmmmmmmm fond memories wink
in addition, 2 our nija soaps,
i rem waiting for 4pm for national anthem and then cartoons like
tom & jerry, Danger mouse etc.
those were the days, though i wudnt trade it for DSTV
wud like to see some of those old soaps anyhw sha grin
Re: Nta Back In The Dayz by lobell: 4:57pm On Dec 04, 2013
Jaguar's side kick was Useni!

I was in love with Nnkemji...those eyes!

was it 'rooter crow at dawn or 'cock crow at dawn'?

Abiku was one hell of a scary movie...always had nightmares after watching but always watched it whenever it was aired

Checkmate was fun...I loved especially chief's family scenes ... 'ma gbegi fun eh'

Nice programming, cant remember the last time I watched NTA
Re: Nta Back In The Dayz by topelenege: 4:53pm On Aug 23, 2022
Good old days.
Re: Nta Back In The Dayz by fulanifilot(m): 9:08am On Apr 13
I'm even looking for one old NTA lifestyle programme series called "Musiclip" (showcase of trendy music). Can anyone help me with info on it and its host (one handsome dark Yoruba guy).

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Got Talent Season 2 / Amstel Box Office 2 Online Application Form / Comic Actors Sanyeri And Oleyo Dethrone Mr. Latin And Babasuwe As King Of Comedy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.