Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:54 AM

Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ (2628 Views)

FAAN Condemns Abdulaziz Yari For Violating COVID19 Rules At Airport / Rivers Releases 22 Exxonmobil Staff Arrested For Violating Lockdown Order / Top Presidency Aides Denied Access To Aso Villa After Violating NCDC Guidelines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by hybrid77: 6:48pm On Oct 27, 2020
In enforcing the 48-hour curfew imposed by the Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, to stem the activities of hoodlums in the state, some soldiers on Saturday reportedly forced a medical doctor, Raphael Onyemekehia, to swim in a pool of muddy water along the Effurun-Warri Road in Uvwie Local Government Area of the state.

The incident happened around 11 a.m. when the doctor was on his way to the clinic, the victim and the state’s medical association said.

The soldiers forced the doctor to swim inside the muddy water at gunpoint while he was heading for work.

Mr Onyemekehia, a consultant physician, reportedly identified himself to the soldiers with his identity card before he was ordered to enter the gutter and swim for allegedly violating the curfew.

The soldiers allegedly told the medical doctor that nobody was exempted from the curfew by the order given to them.

But Governor Ifeanyi Okowa had while declaring the curfew exempted essential workers including medical workers from the restriction of movement owing to the violence that greeted the #EndSARS protests across the country.

However, the soldiers told the doctor that he violated the state-wide curfew declared by the state governor.

They reportedly threatened to shoot him if he failed to swim in the gutter.

A dejected Mr Onyemekehia was said to have swum for about 30 minutes before a senior military officer who ran into the group saved him from further humiliation.

The military authorities are yet to react to the allegations.

Allegations
Mr Onyemekehia confirmed the incident but directed this reporter to speak with his union, whom he said he had reported to.

The state chairman of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), Emmanuel Nwose, confirmed the development.

Mr Nwose disclosed that he had reported the incident to Mr Okowa.

He demanded that the perpetrators be fished out and prosecuted by the military authorities to serve as a warning to overzealous soldiers.

The NMA chairman said, “On his way to work he was beaten up by soldiers at Airport Junction in Effurun around 11 am today (Saturday). The victim is Raphael Onyemekehia, a consultant physician. He reported to us and said the soldiers were without their name tags.

“When he got to the checkpoint, he showed them his ID card and told them he was going to work but they refused him passage. Thereafter, they ordered him to swim in the murky water inside the gutter. Since they pointed a gun at him, he had no option than to enter the water to swim.

“While he was swimming, they were flogging him until a superior officer came and told them to allow him to go home. He sustained injuries. This is not acceptable to us. As doctors, we are essential workers and when we say we want to attend to patients, we should be allowed to do that.

“What we (NMA) are demanding is that those military personnel should be identified and brought to book. If nothing is done about this, we will be forced to withdraw our services until our member gets justice.

“We are calling on the Delta State Government and the military authorities to fish out the soldiers that committed this crime and with necessary disciplinary action taken against them. Our members must be duly compensated or we will call for the withdrawal of our services.”

The 3 Battalion of the Nigerian Army, Effurun, has no spokesperson. A military contact in the 16 Brigade, Charles Ekeocha, told our reporter to come to the barracks “to make any inquiry” as he is not the spokesperson.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/422943-soldiers-force-doctor-to-swim-in-mud-for-violating-curfew-nma.html
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by Yameater(m): 6:48pm On Oct 27, 2020
Na waooooo
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by hybrid77: 6:49pm On Oct 27, 2020
Lalasticlala

Just to be clear, i drove past some soldiers at Express way, Udu, warri, despite heavy security presence.

They requested for my ID which i quickly gave to them..they were respectful and essured that i got to my destination.

I am a doctor and i have to say that, throughout the curfew, i have gone about my daily activities without any form of embarrassment whatsoever.

I am just ashamed that a colleague was humiliated so badly..

The bad eggs in the military may ignite the second wave of #EndSars>>#EndArmyBrutality..

All thanks to the Army for keeping us safe..

11 Likes

Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by puremaker7(m): 6:51pm On Oct 27, 2020
Lol
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by vanbonattel: 6:53pm On Oct 27, 2020
If you check very well, they might be soldiers from repentant boko harm.

7 Likes

Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by OfficialAwol(m): 6:54pm On Oct 27, 2020
O wrong nau!

Medical Doctors
Pastors
Media men
Those transporting Agricultural and Petroleum products are usually exempt from these things na.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by Jeromejnr(m): 6:54pm On Oct 27, 2020
Doctorflaky, what do you have to say?
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by vanbonattel: 6:55pm On Oct 27, 2020
OfficialAwol:
O wrong nau!

Medical Doctors
Pastors
Media men
Those transporting Agricultural and Petroleum products are usually exempt from these things na.

What goes around usually stays around, when they did it to innocent IPOB members, the country jubiliated, one day, state governors will be swimming in muddy waters in this zoo.

11 Likes

Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by Iconstar: 6:55pm On Oct 27, 2020
So bad
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by NaMe4: 6:56pm On Oct 27, 2020
If those soldiers are not fished out, they (NMA) should withdraw their services. The case MUST be seen to a logical conclusion. No room for madness and impunity in this Country anymore.

If essential workers are brutalised, you can imagine what would happen to other citizens.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by capitalzero: 6:56pm On Oct 27, 2020
hybrid77:
In enforcing the 48-hour curfew imposed by the Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, to stem the activities of hoodlums in the state, some soldiers on Saturday reportedly forced a medical doctor, Raphael Onyemekehia, to swim in a pool of muddy water along the Effurun-Warri Road in Uvwie Local Government Area of the state.

The incident happened around 11 a.m. when the doctor was on his way to the clinic, the victim and the state’s medical association said.

The soldiers forced the doctor to swim inside the muddy water at gunpoint while he was heading for work.

Mr Onyemekehia, a consultant physician, reportedly identified himself to the soldiers with his identity card before he was ordered to enter the gutter and swim for allegedly violating the curfew.

The soldiers allegedly told the medical doctor that nobody was exempted from the curfew by the order given to them.

But Governor Ifeanyi Okowa had while declaring the curfew exempted essential workers including medical workers from the restriction of movement owing to the violence that greeted the #EndSARS protests across the country.

However, the soldiers told the doctor that he violated the state-wide curfew declared by the state governor.

They reportedly threatened to shoot him if he failed to swim in the gutter.

A dejected Mr Onyemekehia was said to have swum for about 30 minutes before a senior military officer who ran into the group saved him from further humiliation.

The military authorities are yet to react to the allegations.

Allegations
Mr Onyemekehia confirmed the incident but directed this reporter to speak with his union, whom he said he had reported to.

The state chairman of the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), Emmanuel Nwose, confirmed the development.

Mr Nwose disclosed that he had reported the incident to Mr Okowa.

He demanded that the perpetrators be fished out and prosecuted by the military authorities to serve as a warning to overzealous soldiers.

The NMA chairman said, “On his way to work he was beaten up by soldiers at Airport Junction in Effurun around 11 am today (Saturday). The victim is Raphael Onyemekehia, a consultant physician. He reported to us and said the soldiers were without their name tags.

“When he got to the checkpoint, he showed them his ID card and told them he was going to work but they refused him passage. Thereafter, they ordered him to swim in the murky water inside the gutter. Since they pointed a gun at him, he had no option than to enter the water to swim.

“While he was swimming, they were flogging him until a superior officer came and told them to allow him to go home. He sustained injuries. This is not acceptable to us. As doctors, we are essential workers and when we say we want to attend to patients, we should be allowed to do that.

“What we (NMA) are demanding is that those military personnel should be identified and brought to book. If nothing is done about this, we will be forced to withdraw our services until our member gets justice.

“We are calling on the Delta State Government and the military authorities to fish out the soldiers that committed this crime and with necessary disciplinary action taken against them. Our members must be duly compensated or we will call for the withdrawal of our services.”

The 3 Battalion of the Nigerian Army, Effurun, has no spokesperson. A military contact in the 16 Brigade, Charles Ekeocha, told our reporter to come to the barracks “to make any inquiry” as he is not the spokesperson.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/422943-soldiers-force-doctor-to-swim-in-mud-for-violating-curfew-nma.html

Doctors think they are immune to dehumanization by security agents . NMA and Johesu were silent during endsars protests. Shame on them .
By now brutalities by security agents should be on the list of public health hazards

3 Likes

Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by Hedonisco: 6:57pm On Oct 27, 2020
These are the kinds of cowardly, deranged and idiotic animals we have in our armed forces. Till today Boko Haram deals with them mercilessly, but they are ever ready to demonstrate 'strength' on unarmed and unthreatening Nigerians.

That said, most Nigerians are cowards anyway. That's why you would obey these illiterate and smelly bastards and subject yourself to indignity. In broad daylight on a busy road you will swim in the gutter because one nonentity who was born in one ghetto somewhere but later became a soldier 'ordered' you to. He has a gun, and so fucking what? Better for them to kill you there. Stand your fucking ground. If one, two, three.. Less than 10 persons stand their ground and 'die there' than to obey the humiliating instructions of some miserable fools, then the revolution would be complete.

3 Likes

Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by Passionate888: 6:57pm On Oct 27, 2020
#endarmybrutality
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by vanbonattel: 6:59pm On Oct 27, 2020
NaMe4:
If those soldiers are not fished out, they (NMA) should withdraw their services. The case MUST be seen to a logical conclusion. No room for madness and impunity in this Country anymore.

If essential workers are brutalised, you can imagine what would happen to other citizens.

When we said it was wrong in Abia state, nobody paid attention, now it's happening everywhere.

Good morning this evening Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by Bkayyy: 7:00pm On Oct 27, 2020
But I heard that yoruba doctors swim very well.
You can easily recognize the doctor in the picture. He is the one doing butterfly stroke.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by adadike(f): 7:00pm On Oct 27, 2020
Am very sure they are Hausa / Fulani soldiers. Stupid illiterates.

4 Likes

Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by GallantDuke(m): 7:00pm On Oct 27, 2020
Why?
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by vanbonattel: 7:00pm On Oct 27, 2020
capitalzero:

Doctors think they are immune to dehumanization by security agents . NMA and Johesu were silent during endsars protests. Shame on them .
By now brutalities by security agents should be on the list of public health hazards

They were also silent when the first case on IPOB broke out, they thought it didn't concern them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by realstars: 7:04pm On Oct 27, 2020
Crazy And illiterate Fulani Soldiers
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by naijaking1: 7:12pm On Oct 27, 2020
When did swimming in mud become the SOP for soldier to punish civilians?

Burutai will be remembered for indiscipline in the military.
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by jlinkd78(m): 7:17pm On Oct 27, 2020
Too bad
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by nairavsdollars(f): 7:19pm On Oct 27, 2020
Honestly, I dont pity soldiers killed by Boko Haram
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by mightyhazel: 7:21pm On Oct 27, 2020
Barbaric.. what if he had an emergency?... say one of the soldiers relative dying or something.

2moro now when this one nurse a grudge for the military,sb will starr calling him unpatriotic
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by We4all: 7:36pm On Oct 27, 2020
hybrid77:
Lalasticlala

Just to be clear, i drove past some soldiers at Express way, Udu, warri, despite heavy security presence.

They requested for my ID which i quickly gave to them..they were respectful and essured that i got to my destination.

I am a doctor and i have to say that, throughout the curfew, i have gone about my daily activities without any form of embarrassment whatsoever.

The bad eggs in the military may ignite the second wave of #EndSars>>#EndArmyBrutality..

Really? I detest 90% of Nigerian doctors. They are egoistic with nothing upstairs.
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by CodeTemplar: 7:44pm On Oct 27, 2020
Same brutality they just finish protesting against. I am sure they will be quota system folks who do it to feel superior and tell their people as bedtime stories in village.
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by hybrid77: 7:48pm On Oct 27, 2020
We4all:

Really? I detest 90% of Nigerian doctors. They are egoistic with nothing upstairs.

Lol..why the hate?

I tried giving you a firsthand experience and all you do M is insult me and my colleagues.

Not fair..please learn to love..
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by suremanpatriot: 7:52pm On Oct 27, 2020
Bkayyy:
But I heard that yoruba doctors swim very well.
You can easily recognize the doctor in the picture. He is the one doing butterfly stroke.
yu are likin rubbish dumb heads
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by suremanpatriot: 7:55pm On Oct 27, 2020
those renegade crakhead soldiers must be prosecuted and dismissed if this story is true. angry
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by suremanpatriot: 7:55pm On Oct 27, 2020
those renegade crakhead soldiers must be prosecuted and dismissed if this story is true.angry
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by edoairways: 7:57pm On Oct 27, 2020
hybrid77:
Lalasticlala

So you see why many Nigerians protested against endsars which was later hijacked
Re: Soldiers Force Doctor To Swim In Mud For ‘violating Curfew’ by edoairways: 7:59pm On Oct 27, 2020
capitalzero:

But their members treated protesters, some even offered free treatment

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet Nairalander Whoose Report Led To Nnamdi Kanu Account Been Blocked PHOTOS / ESN: When Wisdom Begets Foolishness / The North Is Indeed POWERFUL! The ALPHA MALE Of Nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.