Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,254 members, 7,807,874 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier (18364 Views)

Schooling Abroad: Is It Only Meant 4 D Rich? / Study Abroad Is The Only Way Through In Nigeria Now / Bsc In Nigeria Msc In Abroad Is It Ok (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by vislabraye(m): 3:47pm On Mar 14, 2011
For Naija, things they opposite direction. If one is leaving abroad or financially stable, he will pass very well. It's only hussling and schooling that makes it tough.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by nethacker(m): 3:48pm On Mar 14, 2011
vislabraye:

For Naija, things they opposite direction. If one is leaving abroad or financially stable, he will pass very well. It's only hussling and schooling that makes it tough.
u think so? lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by armyofone(m): 6:08pm On Mar 14, 2011
true, it is much more harder if you working and schooling. most students do work and school unlike naija where the guys spend their evening visiting female hostels and the gals spend theirs cooking ogbono today, egusi tmr, stew next.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by nethacker(m): 6:45pm On Mar 14, 2011
armyofone:

true, it is much more harder if you working and schooling. most students do work and school unlike naija where the guys spend their evening visiting female hostels and the gals spend theirs cooking ogbono today, egusi tmr, stew next.
^^^^^ grin grin grin grin , so true grin
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by ladygaga(f): 9:50pm On Mar 15, 2011
want to know pls if you have the resources don't even think about the 9ja system not for you or your children!

THATS THE HONEST TRUTH I SWEAR, TOPS MY KIDS WILL HAVE THEIR SECONDARY SCH EDUCATION BUT UNIVERSITY IS A NO NO HERE, I HAVE REALISED THAT, THE EARLIER U DO THE BETTER,
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by nethacker(m): 9:51pm On Mar 15, 2011
ladygaga:

THATS THE HONEST TRUTH I SWEAR, TOPS MY KIDS WILL HAVE THEIR SECONDARY SCH EDUCATION BUT UNIVERSITY IS A NO NO HERE, I HAVE REALISED THAT, THE EARLIER U DO THE BETTER,
i jst cant shout , LOL grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by ladygaga(f): 10:09pm On Mar 15, 2011
Nigerian students, where art thou? I don't know about overseas, but here in uniben, i know it's not easy for me. Most things being learnt here in Nigerian uni is by the student's self effort.
Concerning the tuition fees, it's not like people don't want to pay but in the end, the lecturers don't come to class (yet, they'll want to strike). You may see them a week to exams that's why i sometimes appreciate some Nigerian graduates who really worked for what they wanted and not going through the back door. Coupled with the mentality our leaders have about education, can you blame the Nigeria uni?

true
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by ladygaga(f): 10:43pm On Mar 15, 2011
i dont even know where to start from and what to say really, i dnt know the condition of things abroad as i havent bn there and do not have friends studying there either, but its really a sorry and sad case here

over here, the lecturers particularly want you to fail, they take so much delight in you failing , they even tell it to ur face point blank and go extra mile to do dat e.g by not coming to class, giving u some photocopied rubbish to read, giving you some crazy assignments out of ur syllabus, 'releasing' more handouts like a week or few days to exam, imagine, a lecturer who hasnt bn to class in like a month, comes to class one day (say 30 minutes to the end of class) takes attendance and says thats 10marks, incompetent lecturers who do not even know wht they are saying , lecturers who hate to be challenged , greedy lecturers who wld encourage students to pat N2500 to pass a course, they ll make the course so difficult just so u ll cme and pay,
i read maths nd computer sc frm fut minna, thankgod for the math part tho cos all the cpt sc lecturers there are whack, they know nothin, i realised that on tym and squarely faced my mathematics jeje ( i havent seen my final year second semester result, but my cgpa as of first semester 500l was 3.4)

you know its painful when you watch your ability squashed and you can do nothing bout it, when u know u could have better grades if not for some wicked lecturers who have made the system rot, when you know you are better than the retard next to you who has bought his 2.1 certificate and walks freely abt with his head high i could go on and on , i for one know very well that if i had studied in a foreign school i would have been better off work or no work, over here, absolutely nothing works

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by nethacker(m): 10:58pm On Mar 15, 2011
ladygaga:

i dont even know where to start from and what to say really, i dnt know the condition of things abroad as i havent bn there and do not have friends studying there either, but its really a sorry and sad case here

over here, the lecturers particularly want you to fail, they take so much delight in you failing , they even tell it to your face point blank and go extra mile to do dat e.g by not coming to class, giving u some photocopied rubbish to read, giving you some crazy assignments out of your syllabus, 'releasing' more handouts like a week or few days to exam, imagine, a lecturer who hasnt bn to class in like a month, comes to class one day (say 30 minutes to the end of class) takes attendance and says thats 10marks, incompetent lecturers who do not even know wht they are saying , lecturers who hate to be challenged , greedy lecturers who wld encourage students to pat N2500 to pass a course, they ll make the course so difficult just so u ll cme and pay,
i read maths nd computer sc frm fut minna, thankgod for the math part tho cos all the cpt sc lecturers there are whack, they know nothin, i realised that on tym and squarely faced my mathematics jeje ( i havent seen my final year second semester result, but my cgpa as of first semester 500l was 3.4)

you know its painful when you watch your ability squashed and you can do nothing bout it, when u know u could have better grades if not for some wicked lecturers who have made the system rot, when you know you are better than the not-so-smart person next to you who has bought his 2.1 certificate and walks freely abt with his head high i could go on and on , i for one know very well that if i had studied in a foreign school i would have been better off work or no work, over here, absolutely nothing works
^^ ouuuch!! touching embarassed cry cry lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by ladygaga(f): 11:03pm On Mar 15, 2011
I TELL YOU MY GUY, I AM NOT REGRETTING IT!!!

i envy you oh jare lol
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by IshuHabib(f): 8:57am On Mar 16, 2011
i always wonder how pple dat study in nigeria communicate wth their lecturers wthout intrnet, in abroad thngs r alot easier, no strikes, easy communication, less harrsmnt by lecturers, exposure, nd less distraction, no weddng or events to keep u busy, jst my own opinion, msnt b dsame for u guys wink
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by IshuHabib(f): 8:59am On Mar 16, 2011
*abroad, delete *in* plzz
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Odeomi: 8:01pm On Mar 16, 2011
From my experience, US is easier than Nigeria. I am not sure of graduate school in Nigeria. I left Nigeria in 1998 after so many strikes. I was in the 400 levels and president of student union.  I had to start all over after I waited for two years and the school refused to send my transcript. A payback for my union activities.  It wasn't a total lose as I was able to enroll in computer science.  I study business admin in Nigeria because I did not meet the cut off point for Computer science. "Cut off point", another dream killer in Nigeria.  Thanks to America my wife is able to become a lawyer. She was unable to meet cut off point for law and end up studying history in Nigeria,came to US and went to law school here
I notice that most professors here actually teach you and want you to know what they are teaching you especially in science and math. In Nigeria most of the lecturers are just proving their knowledge of  the subject but fail to passing on the knowledge. If you are the type that wanted to know why x+y is XY and not just because the professor said so, you will find things to be very hard in Nigeria. The availability of reading material is also a great advantage. If you are intellectually curious, the resources are here to meet your need.
The major setback in America is that you have to combine work and study. That can be very stressful.
I don't know if things have changed in Nigeria as of today. One of the reason I am reluctant to relocate back home is the education of my children. i don't want them to go through the stress i went through in Nigeria. In my day, getting JAMB form is a hurdle then the cut off point hurdle. in America you seat for SAT and you use the result to apply for as many school as you want. you can study the course of your dream. There is no 1st choice, second choice restriction
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by chamber2(m): 8:14pm On Mar 16, 2011
From my experience, US is easier than Nigeria. I am not sure of graduate school in Nigeria. I left Nigeria in 1998 after so many strikes. I was in the 400 levels and president of student union. I had to start all over after I waited for two years and the school refused to send my transcript. A payback for my union activities. It wasn't a total lose as I was able to enroll in computer science. I study business admin in Nigeria because I did not meet the cut off point for Computer science. "Cut off point", another dream killer in Nigeria. Thanks to America my wife is able to become a lawyer. She was unable to meet cut off point for law and end up studying history in Nigeria,came to US and went to law school here
I notice that most professors here actually teach you and want you to know what they are teaching you especially in science and math. In Nigeria most of the lecturers are just proving their knowledge of the subject but fail to passing on the knowledge. If you are the type that wanted to know why x+y is XY and not just because the professor said so, you will find things to be very hard in Nigeria. The availability of reading material is also a great advantage. If you are intellectually curious, the resources are here to meet your need.
The major setback in America is that you have to combine work and study. That can be very stressful.
I don't know if things have changed in Nigeria as of today. One of the reason I am reluctant to relocate back home is the education of my children. i don't want them to go through the stress i went through in Nigeria. In my day, getting JAMB form is a hurdle then the cut off point hurdle. in America you seat for SAT and you use the result to apply for as many school as you want. you can study the course of your dream. There is no 1st choice, second choice restriction

My brother,you said it all.In fact,as I am typing now a call came 4rm my swrt heart who is in her finals in a 9ja uni that she wanted to run an experiment with her final year project samples but could not just because there is NO LIGHT,and the UNIVERSITY does not have GENERATOR.What could be harder than this?She left home 7am and went back 6 pm after waiting in vain for PHCN to bring light.This is pathetic. But in the US and UK,just mention anything and it will be made available in the required quantity.To me i don't somebody schooling and at the same time working as stress.Infact it is fun.Most Nigeria students are looking for this opportunity.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Odeomi: 9:42pm On Mar 16, 2011
sexylisa:

i am a usa educated registered nurse. I am originally from Ghana and schooled up to high school there. The education in the usa is much more difficult than Ghana. Nursing is very easy in Ghana and no offence, they don't know a lot of things. I had to take chem, anatomy and physiology, biochem, and math classes with students that were planning to go to med sch and pharmacy sch. I have classess in sociology, psychology, speech, english, foreign language, political science, economics, philosophy, business etc before i was qualified to take my nursing classes. A lot is required of students abroad than back home. A lot of assignments, research, interviews and practicals are required. For instance, a US trained nurse is expected to know the functions of all medications given, expected to know if the doctor is wrong in prescribing something and both will be accountable if the nurse gives a wrong medicine a doc ordered. I have friends taht went to college back home who used to argue with me over this issue and they all agreed after they started school here. Some of them could not even make it through the competitive programs. My younger sister did her high school here and they were teaching them college level math and science which i never had back home.

@SexyLisa,
it is true that nursing is a little bit challenging so are most college degrees. as for the fact that they don't know anything, you are wrong. you probably went to a community college for your nursing. 80% of American born coming out of high school who went to community college are below average or average, their smart counterparts went to four years college.  Community colleges also serve adult students that have been out of school for a long time, the rest are immigrants working one or two jobs to make ends meet. My sister is RN and of the same opinion like you.  You will notice that those you went to nursing school with perform better than those you took general college classes with. Your nursing 101 c;classmates are more serious than your English 101 students. In Nigeria, some of those people cannot even get into pre ND talk less of pre degree
As for the college challenges as stated by some contributors. the purpose of college is to impact knowledge. Everything you are learning is for you to become a professional. They run colleges with tax payers’ money and the tuition you pay, they want you to get the value for your money. I don't consider course requirement as difficult as long as the resources to meet the requirements is easily available. In Nigeria, we look at degree. in US they look at the combination of skill and degree. The schools have a reputation. they don't want to produce students that will give them bad reputation. The school want employer to hire you and for them employer to come back to the school and hire more graduates. if they let out poorly prepared students that will not happen
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Ndipe(m): 10:32pm On Mar 16, 2011
Odeomi:

@SexyLisa,
it is true that nursing is a little bit challenging so are most college degrees. as for the fact that they don't know anything, you are wrong. you probably went to a community college for your nursing. 80% of American born coming out of high school who went to community college are below average or average, their smart counterparts went to four years college.  Community colleges also serve adult students that have been out of school for a long time, the rest are immigrants working one or two jobs to make ends meet. My sister is RN and of the same opinion like you.  You will notice that those you went to nursing school with perform better than those you took general college classes with. Your nursing 101 c;classmates are more serious than your English 101 students. In Nigeria, some of those people cannot even get into pre ND talk less of pre degree
As for the college challenges as stated by some contributors. the purpose of college is to impact knowledge. Everything you are learning is for you to become a professional. They run colleges with tax payers’ money and the tuition you pay, they want you to get the value for your money. I don't consider course requirement as difficult as long as the resources to meet the requirements is easily available. In Nigeria, we look at degree. in US they look at the combination of skill and degree. The schools have a reputation. they don't want to produce students that will give them bad reputation. The school want employer to hire you and for them employer to come back to the school and hire more graduates. if they let out poorly prepared students that will not happen

WRONG! People choose to go to community college, due to compelling reasons like affordability. That was a rash conclusion and smacks of superiority complex.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by kedge: 2:39pm On Aug 06, 2013
STUDY ABROAD JUST GOT EASIER

With contacts in Uk, USA, Canada, Newzealand, Barcelona, Sweden, Geneva, Cyprus, Turkey, Malaysia, Dubai, Edinburgh, Dublin, and Mauritius, KEDGE CONSULTING makes admission process a lot easier.

For more information and free counseling contact KEDGE CONSULTING LIMITED on info@kedgeconsultingltd.com, Julius: 08174610296, Nkechi : 08174610298, Shola:08033608831 visit our website www.kedgeconsultingltd.com.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by HARFORDSTUDY: 10:44pm On Apr 29, 2016
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by HARFORDSTUDY: 11:47pm On May 08, 2016
HOW TO CHOOSE THE MOST SUITABLE UNIVERSITY IN CHINA / STUDY IN CHINA

Generally, choosing a reputable and the most suitable university is often difficult without counsel but that of China is obviously the most difficult with over two thousand universities in the country. Although studying in China as an international student is a life-long experience with numerous future benefits. It is understandable and necessary that ambitious international students who wants to build a giant career must invest in foreign education and with no doubt, education in China is a priority for those in the medical and technology field just like the West. Although some countries like China also offer cheap study abroad education like studying in Ukraine at a lowest cost of $1500 per session.

Again, China has hit a mark of investing 4% of its GDP on education in 2012 and even in multiplication in 2016. The New York Times revealed that China has invested more than US$250 billion in HUMAN CAPITAL annually, which incorporate education subsidy for a vision to bridge the gap in education which relate to Harford Educational Limited. Thence the founder of Harford Educational Limited, DR. ISRAEL OLUWASEYIDAYO IDRIS has requested all developing countries including sub-Sahara countries to emulate this from China. In another words, the Chinese universities and colleges are increasing aggressively and has amplified in double in the concluding decade to more than 2,409. Notwithstanding, the country has a five-year strategy aim including a tenacious spotlight on advancing or inventing technologies will lead the competitive global technology market (with the WEST), no idea is lost means subsiding education for people from rural or low-income countries to China's urban areas

China has hit twenty-seven universities in the QS World University Rankings® 2014/15 and substantially more in the QS University Rankings: Asia 2015. The top universities in China are: Peking University (7th in Asia; 57th in the world); Tsinghua University (11th in Asia; 47th in the world); Fudan University (16th in Asia; 71st in the world); University of Science and Technology of China (23rd in Asia; 147th in the world); Shanghai Jiao Tong University (24th in Asia; 104th in the world);Nanjing University (26th in Asia; 162nd in the world); Zhejiang University (35th in Asia; 144th in the world); Beijing Normal University(40th in Asia; 240th in the world) and Sun Yat-Sen University(48th in Asia; 321st in the world).

Living in China

Beyond any doubt, for an economy that is growing aggressively, the living cost in China is not quite as cheap as before. Fortunately, the tuition is as low as US$3,500 per year in Beijing. And the expensive cities in China including Shanghai (China’s most expensive city), is approximated to be half that of New York (source: Numbeo).

Accommodation pricing is between US$200 to US$300 per month, however transportation is very cheap.

Admission to universities in China

To apply for a place at a university in China, international students should click here or email us (with required documents for upload).

Chinese (Student) x-visa

Chinese study visa is only given after securing admission in a Chinese university thereafter you apply with your admission package and supporting documents at your home Chinese consulate.

Author: Anyim Oma Ijeoma

Read more http://harfordedu.com/lorem-ipsum-dolor-sit-met/item/20-how-to-choose-the-right-university-in-china-education-in-china

STUDY IN UKRAINE www.harfordedu.com
study in china http://harfordedu.com/the-universities-and-the-faculties/choose-the-university/module-positions
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Chinny90: 4:37am On Oct 20, 2021
Hello Mr Ayoalade.. how do I reach out to you please
ayoalade:
Studying overseas definitely is not as easy as a lot of people would have thought. At the end of the day you are faced with many issues that, if you're not strong willed (thank God that we all came from Nigeria), it is enough to want to make you quit. You deal with issues of racism on one hand, understanding the alien system, trying to deal with working part time (and for some of us full time) and combining that with your studies, trying to take care of the people back home (not all of us were born with silver spoon). You are a student and at the same time your families and students are looking up to you to take care of them, the amount of responsibility can be overwhelming. Amidst all of these, you also have to deal with incliment weather (I'm sure those who have experienced winter can attest to this), one that you never experienced before.

Now, having said that, the joy of studying overseas can be numerous. You have all the best resources for your success, books are readily available (you don't have to worry about buying prof's notes). Laboratories are well equipped and up to standard, access to up-to-date technological tools that will aid your studies are also readily available. Moreover, you cannot even put a value on the exposure to other cultures, people and ideas. Also, noteworthy is that fact that you never have to worry about NEPA. The environment is created to bring out the best in you academically. You also have professors that are easily approachable and if you're a woman, you don't have to worry about constant harrasment by lecturers (not that any society is completely immune to that).

The other thing is that if you deserve an A, an you work hard for an A, the profs are excited to give you your mark. There is no such thing as it being a taboo to graduate with first class standing. I mean graduating Summa Cum Laude or Magna Cum Laude is not a rarity as it is the case in Nigeria where people often bost that "he's the only one to have graduate 1st class in the history of the department". You get what you right worked for at the end of the day, and I believe that is very rewarding.

In terms of the volume of work, while it can be overwhelming if you're studying overseas, it is not, within the context of the academic standard an anomaly. In fact, anything less will be an indication of a substandard education. The reality is that, Nigeria can do the same if only we can get our acts together. We need to create the culture where students will see that there every action from day one will ultimately affect their overall performance - attendance in classes, papers and other continuous assessments tools count not just the almighty final examination - which results in cramming and regurgitation.

Studying in Nigeria is not easy because you have to deal with everything that goes contrary to a normal society where the goal of the school is to graduate top notch students. Studying overseas is challenging as you have to deal with adapting to a new environment, deal with pressure from within and without and ultimately having it at the back of your mind that you're here to succeed and failure is not an option.

Believe, me, this is coming from someone that studied a year at UI, and have gone through complete undergraduate and graduate studies in North America.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Flood Takes Over Government Technical College Abak, Akwa Ibom State / Factional Presidents Emerge In NANS / FG Sacks 12 Auchi Poly Randy Lecturers After Punch Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.