Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,989 members, 7,806,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? (30627 Views)

Parents Rush To Pick Children From FGC Kwali Due To Terror Alert / Nigerian Parents Pay For Their Kids To Learn British Accent / Rochas Foundation Of Africa Empowers Over 13,000 African Kids Through Project 55 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by smokeyupu(m): 3:43pm On Oct 28, 2020
I have no idea why they do it!!
My ten years old son felt terrible when his class mate was taken from primary 6 to JSS1.
Though he didn't say you could see it in his actions. He stopped walking to school with the girl.
Thank God he's in JSS now but she's just 10 in JSS 2.
I hate the practice...

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by emmaitive(m): 3:44pm On Oct 28, 2020
For empty pride i guess

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by daddy001: 3:46pm On Oct 28, 2020
JIMMY1393:

And what makes medicine so guaranteed ? undecided ...no job is a guaranteed job as far as I'm concerned
He's right, at least 80% guarantee assured with Medicine or Nursing

3 Likes

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by JIMMY1393: 3:47pm On Oct 28, 2020
ModestGal:
I finished university at age 19
I don't think I was rushed, it just happened naturally, I was the best in my classes and thus the need to promote me, and when I registered for primary school exam, I passed more than all my seniors, so parents just allowed me to go to JSS1
I will be clocking 24 soon and yet, no Job even after finishing both Undergraduate and post graduate at 22. Not just graduating but graduating as the best student in both, what if I was still in 300level? Or I'm just graduating with a second class lower at age 24? It means I would never find a job in Nigeria.
Well, I don't hope getting any Job anymore, I have passed that age, I have bigger dreams now, very big ones.
I just look at my classmates but can't help pitying them, especially those doing their PHD already, they have no hope, no single hope

Useless country called Nigeria

There was someone in my department just like you...finished same age and immediately did his master's...finished masters by 20 and just like you he was smart....not sure if he has a job now cos as you know life moves on and I'm not one to be following up on everybody's life...also I find it hard to believe you haven't found a job even with all your academic excellence..
May I ask what course you studied if you don't mind ?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by favinvest: 3:48pm On Oct 28, 2020
have u ever gone for an interview that they said graduate trainee with Msc with age 23yrs and below??

meanwhile the govt. 6-3-3-4 system doesn't take into account the period of time for Jamb/post-UME plus ASUU strike..

so parents have decided to wise up in order to help their kids.

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by JIMMY1393: 3:49pm On Oct 28, 2020
daddy001:
He's right, at least 80% guarantee assured with Medicine or Nursing
It still isn't guaranteed...guaranteed means it's a sure deal...it has a high probability of work after but not guaranteed

4 Likes

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Benwallt(m): 3:55pm On Oct 28, 2020
hydrogen1:
@Benwallt . Please where is your sourse of information. I could not see the screenshot of her claimed that shes alive or not. Please we shold be careful with some baseless informations from some BLOGGERS as some of them hes been paid to cause confussion. @Benwall. please forward your sourse of information. You wont go unpunish if you are a confutionist.
vanguard
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by vickydevoka(m): 4:01pm On Oct 28, 2020
Farki:
The job market is very competitive these days. All those people who say that you should graduate at at least 25 are either living in a fantasy land or didn't pursue higher education.

Aside from medicine there is no such thing as guaranteed employment after school again.
Nursing, school teacher n pastors de get work

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 28, 2020
Cherubeyes:
I would very much like to hear from you

They don’t want to pay school fees
They are competing with their village members
They are silly
They are putting their children at a disadvantage
They know ASUU will turn 3 year degree to 30years
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by vickydevoka(m): 4:03pm On Oct 28, 2020
Freedom22222:
They want to see their children succeeding faster

Moreover

As 2020 is coming to an end and due to the financial crises many people faced during the recent Pandemic,

So I've decided to do something Crazy as a Payback to my society!

I want to teach people for 'FREE' (give them the SKILL-SET) on how to Trade FOREX, Cryptocurrency, Shares (US&UK), Commodities and Bonds Profitably ($) by just using their sMart pHone, and also help them ‘Grow’ their money (Capital) at least by doubling it monthly till they are able to trade and make good PROFITs ($) single-handedly (and this would give them financial freedom as soon as possible)

That means you start “EARNING” immediately you are done with your Trade set-up while you are still Learning.

Hit me up on my WhatsApp *0*8*1*8*5*1*1*4*2*2*1 and let's get started now.

#OneLove.
Y can't u quietly make it n become a billionaire. Dont u want to lyk dangote . Millionaires self no de teach person how to make money online
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by nedu2000(m): 4:04pm On Oct 28, 2020
So that they hustle early enough and make money. Life is short.
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Babastrong(m): 4:08pm On Oct 28, 2020
May my children never search for jobs, If the reasons the parent rush their children to school is because of job with age limit.
my children will always be employers not employees.
poor daddy train their children to become employee. While the rich daddy train their children to become employers.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Farki: 4:09pm On Oct 28, 2020
JIMMY1393:

And what makes medicine so guaranteed ? undecided ...no job is a guaranteed job as far as I'm concerned

In Nigeria there's a massive shortage of doctors, really all over the world there's a serious need for doctors.

Plus in order to have a licence you need to be practicing even after school.
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Farki: 4:11pm On Oct 28, 2020
vickydevoka:

Nursing, school teacher n pastors de get work

Is pastor a job grin
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by NiCurious: 4:11pm On Oct 28, 2020
Gerrard59:

Then tell companies not to advertise vacancies with age cap at 25 in a country plagued by endless strikes in her universities.
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by peacettw: 4:19pm On Oct 28, 2020
Cherubeyes:
I would very much like to hear from you

Went through the same thing. I graduated quite early knowing nothing about life but books. Unfortunately, I learnt quickly that being emotionally intelligent trumps being book smart.

Now I take things easy, and I don't care anymore about grabbing everything in sight. I simply want to live my life in peace. As for my kids, I let them be. Heavens won't fall if they aren't the best among their peers. As long as they are in the top 15th percentile, I am content.

Life goes on

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by endy83: 4:28pm On Oct 28, 2020
The reasons are simple,age for employment now are 23 to 25yrs (private or oil companies) while govt.employment is 25 to 35yrs. Tell me when u enter at the age of 25yrs after WAEC and JAMB problem.when u enter higher institution both internal and external strike will give u additional years to ur 4,5,6 or 7yrs course,plus 3 or 4yrs of unemploy,ur yrs will be more than 35yrs. Then who will employ u after yrs of wastage. So it is better for child to start early and finish on time. A child of 8 to 9yrs should be in jss1 minus plus at age of 20yrs the child be out of higher institution. My child at the age of 9 to 10yrs is going to jss2 now.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by peacettw: 4:28pm On Oct 28, 2020
JIMMY1393:

Emmm. Not true. Medicine and Nursing are pretty much guaranteed now.

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by IMASTEX: 4:33pm On Oct 28, 2020
Karleb:
They do it for the competition.

"My son is 19 and he is in 400L" grin

"My daughter is 21 and she has an M. Sc." grin

These sort of things freak women more.
You're right. Know of someone in school then, his parents pushed him & also decided his course. He finally dropout in 400L. He has to restart another course from 100L, luckily for him restarting experience made him who he is today.
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by StrongInBed: 4:33pm On Oct 28, 2020
DrObum:

I bet you've never been to the east sef but you've a loud ignorant opinion.

SAID ONE ILLITERATE WE ARE AHEAD IN EVERY HUMAN ENDEAVOUR INCLUDING ALL HIS TRIBESMEN
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by youngoldman(m): 4:33pm On Oct 28, 2020
Stay der ehn, with d way ASUU dey increase years spent in uni... Except u dey go private, if not enter early ooo
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by MrHyde: 4:36pm On Oct 28, 2020
Our population is at a disadvantage here, that's why recruiters are reducing the trainee age limit.
At a certain age, you can almost not get a graduate trainee job in a reputable company.

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Strugglingman: 4:38pm On Oct 28, 2020
anthonyuncle:
so that at da age of 25,

they must've graduates with 7yrs experience
grin

You dey craze ,I swear
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 28, 2020
isaiah4life:
when you want to apply for a graduate trainee position as a fresh graduate and they post age limit 22-23 then you will thank parents for rushing their kids.
Exactly. I really don't blame these parents that rush their kids, I would do the same, with the nature of things now and the economy.

1 Like

Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Sirfemisky: 4:52pm On Oct 28, 2020
Any hope for me. 30years still in 300level hnd1.. Doing conputer sci
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by MorataFC: 4:53pm On Oct 28, 2020
femi4:
1. School fees is high

2. Employable age range has been reduced to 23-26

I lost access bank job due to age (27yrs)
hmmm, sorry bro
Better one are coming
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Flytime: 4:58pm On Oct 28, 2020
Godpikin4real:
I have a son whoz 8yrs now. When he started nursery school, I noticed he waz very good verbally, he could recite all nursery rhymes, tell all bible stories, states&capital, local government and their chairmen, etc. The challenge he had waz he didn't like writing. If u tell him 2 write 1-10, if u see drama dis boi would act. This went on and on till I decided 2 engage his class teacher. He improved a bit buhh noticed he later relented. When he waz in nursery two going 2 primary one, I told his class teacher I'd like him to repeat nursery two as I was in no competition with anyone. She replied and said "mba, MBA, MBA(no! No!!no!!!) U see psychomotor skills, he's got it buhh locomotor is lacking. Leave him alone, he'll do well in his next class." So, I left him. The next class, he waz always submitting empty books buhh when he brings his assignments home, the brain tasking ones, he'll explain it well to me and I'd b able 2 take him up from there.

One day, I went for open day in their school and what I saw wasn't impressive. All his note books only had dates written in them, no notes copies therein including English studies except mathematics. I said 2 myself where does this boi want 2 go in this world with only quoting and cramming? I waz disappointed in myself as his mum, himself who didn't want 2 write and his class teacher who couldn't deliver. Even in law, dat requires a lot of quoting and cramming, they'll still say u "put it down in black and white". I decided within me there and then; this boi would repeat this class if datz all it takes him 2 b able 2 write.

Hez in Pry 3 now and hez doing very very well. When i went to check up on him in his new class, his class teacher said there haz been gr8 improvement even him, he say it at home dat my teacher said i have really picked up. I told him if u do very well. I told him "If u impress me, you'd go to secondary school from pry 4 buhh if not, he'd go from pry 5. Mbok, I'm not here 2 impress anyone, I only want d best for our son.
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Litmus: 5:14pm On Oct 28, 2020
femi4:
1. School fees is high

2. Employable age range has been reduced to 23-26

I lost access bank job due to age (27yrs)

27 (Nigerian age) lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by walkwithgod(m): 5:21pm On Oct 28, 2020
So that they can brag amongst thier peers..look at my daughter...she has masters and pHd...she's just 18 years old.

Black man mentality.
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by vickydevoka(m): 5:32pm On Oct 28, 2020
Farki:

Is pastor a job grin
I knw no.
If my father is a pastor in a church n my teacher ask us to write down our fathers profession, wat will I write?
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by subcbouy: 5:33pm On Oct 28, 2020
I have a nephew who just finished his NYSC at 21 yrs. Born in '99. I entered uni at 22yrs. Life is "sharp sharp" these days.
Re: Why Do MOST Nigerian Parents Rush Their Kids Through School? by Geofavor(m): 5:47pm On Oct 28, 2020
isaiah4life:
when you want to apply for a graduate trainee position as a fresh graduate and they post age limit 22-23 then you will thank parents for rushing their kids.
Nonsensical mindset

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

N45m For The Family Of Electrocuted Oluchi Anekwe UNILAG Student As Compensation / Funny Ways Kids Are Taught In Schools(share Your Experience) / Nigerian Universities Compared With Football Clubs, The Result Is Amazing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.