Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,191 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:23 AM

#WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes (57443 Views)

Okonjo-Iweala: Swiss Newspapers Call New WTO DG ’66-Year-Old Grandmother' / WTO DG: Okonjo-Iweala, Myung-Hee React To WTO's Formal Announcement / WTO DG: Okonjo-Iweala, 4 Others Sail Through First Round (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by laiza(m): 8:00pm On Oct 28, 2020
I really wish Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was contesting under a different citizenship. Nigeria don't deserve her at all, just like the country doesn't deserve many people.

The countries that have endorsed Okonjo mostly do so out of spite to the US and not because they thought she is the best person for the job. If Trump isn't the president of America I can bet you the South Korean candidate would be cruising to victory as we speak. Most of these counties don't give a shit about Nigeria and they certainly don't care about who is most qualified for the job, they only care what the DG would do for them and what allies they would get in the long run.

There are some couple of things the United States would never want and I am certain they share the thoughts of some countries as well. Top on the list is Iran being a member of the WTO or China getting tax waivers. As things stands the countries that have endorsed Okonjo did so because they all have something in common which isn't the love of country or their love for her but simply their hatred for Trump which is understandable and completely justified but she still doesn't stand a chance against South Korea.

The United States does not trust Nigeria, heck they don't even trust Africans because they see Africa as a colony of China now and we would do Chinese bidding. Secondly is the issue of corruption and the growing rate of Islam in African countries. This doesn't go well with American ideology at all.

In all honesty I wish for a better Nigeria and perhaps maybe we could be considered for the job on merit instead of politics and on one hand I want her to win but on the other hand I don't want a Nigerian to be the DG, not with this set of leaders that we have. Of what benefit is the position to Nigerian economy and how does that translates to the lives of Nigerian youth? I don't see the correlation. Take a look at AfDB and see how that is playing out. Kenya is doing better, in fact the whole of East Africa is better than West Africa in terms of direct impact of AfDB to their region. It's not that it doesn't get to West Africa but all the countries in West Africa believe Nigeria is limiting their chances of success at anything and it's due to the corruption and the people. They simply just hate us for the sins of our leaders.

I really wish she gets the job if it will help the common man on the street and at least change our dear country.

6 Likes

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by Seebrian(m): 8:00pm On Oct 28, 2020
Congratulations Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala as the first female WTO DG. I don talk my own and na so ego be.
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by jrusky(m): 8:04pm On Oct 28, 2020
For all of you supporting the bitch called Trump here comes again his demonic agenda against anything Africa or black.

Where are those pooh heads ipig now come and defend your trump as usual.

Nonsense people.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by CSTRR: 8:04pm On Oct 28, 2020
Nigerian-Americans should dedicate a fund to lobbyists.
It's critical If they and by extension NIgeria will ever enjoy the milk of America.

If we had an effective Nigerian lobby group in Washington, trump would not have included Nigeria in his immigration ban.

The moment he tries it, he will get series of calls from congress men and women warning him not to take food from their table.

4 Likes

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by StrongInBed: 8:05pm On Oct 28, 2020
Ambassador Roberto Carvalho de Azevêdo
Roberto Azevedo in 2020.jpeg
6th Director-General of the World Trade Organization
In office
1 September 2013 – 31 August 2020
Preceded by Pascal Lamy
Succeeded by Ngozi Okonjo Iweala
Personal details
Born Roberto Carvalho de Azevêdo
3 October 1957 (age 63)
Salvador, Brazil
Political party Independent
Spouse(s) Maria Nazareth Farani
Children 2
Education University of Brasília
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by Cantonese: 8:06pm On Oct 28, 2020
Koulture:
cool

USA under Trump is something else,yet Igbos or igbos see him as their messiah,the same way they tried to stop akinwunmi adeshina of Afdb.

They might be wondering how a lady from a corrupt shithole like Nigeria will be in charge of a sensitive position like the WTO.

"Messiah"? But your people constitute a greater percentage of Nigerians living in America and faking the American accent.

Trump's foreign policy makes America first.That encourages their people to protect their interests first and never call their country "shithole".

America may veto her nomination but the process does not entirely depend on their vote. As of today she has secured the votes of 106 countries out of 164. This includes China and the EU countries.

Irrespective of the perception of the rest of the world against Nigeria, such positions will help to enhance our image.

1 Like

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by dohyn(m): 8:06pm On Oct 28, 2020
If his approach to trade differs from the WTO, then he should withdraw the US from the Organisation. Afterall, he has taken the US out of other organisations too.

So, what's the excuse for his opposition to Adeshina too? Call a spade a spade and not a garden tool abeg.

Sanchez01:

It is not a racial issue but ideals. Trump's approach to trade negates that of the WTO and NOI. He has a narrow view on trade which has worked for him a lot. The US must have studied NOI to understand her approach which they have found not to align with Trump's. Given the chance, they will to bring someone who will favour them onboard.

It is more of interest and not some colour or racial issue.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by One4me: 8:07pm On Oct 28, 2020
Juliusmalema:
Good but Mr fergie001 your topic is misleading

US didn't veto anything but sticks on their preferred candidate.

after all China, EU and Japan sticks with Iweala and China alone contributes to 12.4% trade statistics while US China has 12% of trade.....

US will have to swallow their pride this time around. They are just kicking unnecessarily.

China, EU even Japan are a whole lot of strong backing plus over 90 countries joined together.

The title is correct and let me explain how it will happen between now and Nov. 9th:

Trump will detail Mike pompeo to start calling every "vulnerable country" and THREATEN THEM, WITH SANCTION IF POSSIBLE, to withdraw their support for the more acceptable candidate (NOI) and vote for the South Korean, on election day.

Most of these countries can do without US support!

Imagine if countries like Bahrain, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Liberia, Egypt, Australia, Iraq, UAE, UK, E.U countries, etc were ready to vote for NOI, what do you think will happen on election day?
Even the so-called strong countries will "trade-away" their Votes, for something in return from the USA! Remember what happened at the UN Security Council when Libya was to be invaded by US-led NATO and RUSSIA vowed to VETO it?
Russia gave up that Veto (and abstained, instead of voting "against" it,) IN EXCHANGE FOR WTO Membership! Yes, same WTO.

Trump is a racists and he has established that over and over again hence, l just cant how foolish some black people can be, to still be fooled by his Optics
l pray NOI wins, we need it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by NSK4U(m): 8:09pm On Oct 28, 2020
The tougher the contest, the more merrier the victory.

I'm fully convinced of beautiful outcome for Dr Iweala.

1 Like

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by dagbas: 8:13pm On Oct 28, 2020
US will give her a nod as a united state citizen
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by TrebleChamp(m): 8:14pm On Oct 28, 2020
CSTRR:

Yes, under Obama. A democrat.

Interests is permanent.
You see, you are right jàre...

1 Like

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by Eriokanmi: 8:15pm On Oct 28, 2020
GamalNasser:
Well Trump's always knows what he is doing ...she just needs to assure the White house that she would protect American interest over Chinese interest ...Trump doesn't want another chinese puppet like the man in WHO
I think you're right but you also look at Chinese contributions too, which is huge. It would be very difficult for US to veto in this case.
However, those guys knew why they moved the date to after US election grin. If biden wins, its a goooooal for NOI

FYI, biden stands a brighter chance in winning this election from all indicators.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by One4me: 8:15pm On Oct 28, 2020
CSTRR:
Nigerian-Americans should dedicate a fund to lobbyists.
It's critical If they and by extension NIgeria will ever enjoy the milk of America.

If we had an effective Nigerian lobby group in Washington, trump would not have included Nigeria in his immigration ban.

The moment he tries it, he will get series of calls from congress men and women warning him not to take food from their table.

You are correct 100%!
That is how Israel gets all her wishes to be done, by America.
America, is as corrupt as they get but in America, BRIBERY is not called Corruption, they call it "LOBBYING"
. undecided grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by membranus: 8:16pm On Oct 28, 2020
Sterope:
Isn't she American?

Does she look or dress like a true American to you?

She is an hybrid American, therefore Trump, who is a rabid racist, will not support her.

You Igbos better pray that Trump (your hero) is voted out Nov. 3.

Otherwise there goes your kinswoman WTO's leadership.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by Bluntemperor: 8:19pm On Oct 28, 2020
Koulture:
cool

USA under Trump is something else,yet Igbos or igbos see him as their messiah,the same way they tried to stop akinwunmi adeshina of Afdb.

They might be wondering how a lady from a corrupt shithole like Nigeria will be in charge of a sensitive position like the WTO.

Your comments is indeed noted with defined truth!
While i congratulate Madam Iweala and wish her success for her tenacity but it's also on record that she was denying Nigeria as a place of birth,which is not smart enough-playing Mr Trump Card who bears no relevance to the Africa as a Continent!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by GamalNasser: 8:22pm On Oct 28, 2020
Eriokanmi:
I think you're right but you also look at Chinese contributions too, which is huge. It would be very difficult for US to veto in this case.
However, those guys knew why they moved the date to after US election grin. If biden wins, its a goooooal for NOI

FYI, biden stands a brighter chance in winning this election from all indicators.

Biden win ? grin grin grin don't tell me you have been watching CNN cheesy
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by One4me: 8:23pm On Oct 28, 2020
Eriokanmi:

As unfortunate as it is, as as disaster as it will become, Trump will be re-elected, not because he will win the majority of the Vote (he never won that the first time anyways), but because he will be manipulated to win the Electoral Collgege.
All the actions Trump has been taking, is to ensure his victory at the Electoral college.
Narrow margins, here and there, is all he needs and he knows it.

Many People will be angry when he is declared the winner and we can only pray for America, because the injustice and corruption will be so obvious. Trump is so corrossive a person, he is like 'Sniper', it will kill some Cockroaches but will also kill many humans, in the wrong hands.

And the WTO is not just about 'Veto', the big Powers will never agree to one candidate.
It will all boil down to Voting and the US has set machinery in motion, with that statement, that everybody who benefits from it, should fall-in-line or get whipped back into line.

Just dey watch.

The Blackman is not only screwed, we screw ourselves most of the time.
NOI would make a wonderful WTO Leader, in my own opinion.
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by SweetiliciousD: 8:24pm On Oct 28, 2020
Bluntemperor:

While i congratulate Madam Iweala and wish her success for her tenacity but it's also on record that she was denying Nigeria as a place of birth,which is not smart enough-playing Mr Trump Card who bears no relevance to the Africa as a Continent!

NOI's pedigree towers higher than all the unprintable words you mentioned there.

Be reminded that WTO politics is not Nigerian corrupt and stone-age politics.

Congrats to NOI for a historic feat.
Congrats to Obj and GEJ
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by Ebenezer202I: 8:26pm On Oct 28, 2020
Koulture:
cool

you're so right
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by hardbody: 8:26pm On Oct 28, 2020
Koulture:
cool

How is this now tied to Igbo? I am one and have detested that white supremacist and his foreign ideologies as they pertain to blacks and particularly Nigeria, so why are you now tribalizing your thoughts? You see why una matter dey tire even the oyinbo wey all of us suppose dey against
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by One4me: 8:27pm On Oct 28, 2020
Bluntemperor:

While i congratulate Madam Iweala and wish her success for her tenacity but it's also on record that she was denying Nigeria as a place of birth, which is not smart enough-playing Mr Trump Card who bears no relevance to the Africa as a Continent!

Please dont say this sort of thing, without any evidence to support you statement, many people will take it for the truth, on face value.
Denying one's place of birth and country is not a small thing and l dont think she did that
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by modsfucker: 8:30pm On Oct 28, 2020
tholhusomhie:
Her rejection by USA may be related to our "Oga @ d top" personality. I still pray she wins sha cos my mother, wife and daughters are women.

Initially you guys said she was nominated by the US not Buhari, and now all of a sudden it's not the US again but Buhari’s personality is preventing the US from supporting her... Your mumu is classical I swear... You'll forever remain slaves of the US.

2 Likes

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by fof1: 8:30pm On Oct 28, 2020
donphilopus:
I thought she just acquired a US citizenship last month?Why are they now trying to frustrate her? It's obvious Trump's administration doesn't like anything relating to Nigeria. Same Trump and his goons attempted to remove Akinwunmi Adeshina of AfDB on trumped-up corruption charges yet some Nigerians think Trump is the best thing since sliced bread. Our mumu go soon do.

US will Fail in Trump's Quest to oust her

2 Likes

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by Kennyswagz1(m): 8:31pm On Oct 28, 2020
GamalNasser:

Biden win ? grin grin grin don't tell me you have been watching CNN cheesy
that guy dey deceive himself
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by Eriokanmi: 8:32pm On Oct 28, 2020
One4me:

As unfortunate as it is, as as disaster as it will become, Trump will be re-elected, not because he will win the majprity of the Vote (he never wont that the first time anyways), but because he will be manipulated to win the Electoral Collgege.
All the actions Trump has been taking, is to ensure his victory at the Electoral college.
Narrow margins, here and there is all he needs and he knows it.

Many People will be angry when he is declared the winner and we can only pray for America, because the injustice and corruption will be so obvious. Trump is so corrossive person, he is like 'Sniper', it will kill some Cockroaches but will also kill many humans, in the wrong hands.

And the WTO is not just about Veto, the big Powers will never agree to one candidate.
It will boils down to Voting and the US has set machinery in motion, with that statement, that everybody who benefits from it, should fall-in-line or get whipped back into line.

Just dey watch.

NOI would make a wonderful WTO Leader, inmy own opinion.
You said trump would win again right? Space booked. Next week we are here again grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by membranus: 8:32pm On Oct 28, 2020
One4me:

As unfortunate as it is, as as disaster as it will become, Trump will be re-elected, not because he will win the majprity of the Vote (he never wont that the first time anyways), but because he will be manipulated to win the Electoral Collgege.
Narrow margins, here and there is all he needs and he knows it.

Many People will be angry when he is declared the winner and we can only pray for America, because the injustice and corruption will be so obvious. Trump is so corrossive person, he is like 'Sniper', it will kill some Cockroaches but will also kill many humans, in the wrong hands.

And the WTO is not just about Veto, the big Powers will never agree to one candidate.
It will boils down to Voting and the US has set machinery in motion, with that statement, that everybody who benefits from it, should fall-in-line or get whipped back into line.

Just dey watch.

NOI would make a wonderful WTO Leader, inmy own opinion.

You missed it when you used the phrase "manipulated to win electoral college"

America is not Nigeria, no one dares to manipulate any election in the US.

Unless they want to sniff jail.

1 Like

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by Emekaonline: 8:33pm On Oct 28, 2020
donphilopus:
I thought she just acquired a US citizenship last month?Why are they now trying to frustrate her? It's obvious Trump's administration doesn't like anything relating to Nigeria. Same Trump and his goons attempted to remove Akinwunmi Adeshina of AfDB on trumped-up corruption charges yet some Nigerians think Trump is the best thing since sliced bread. Our mumu go soon do.

That is a lession to those fake jews that are diehard trump supporters. I always tell the ignoramuses that Trump doesnt give a damn to anybody in africa. The man is a bloody racist but our lousy tenants will not agree

3 Likes

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by linearity: 8:33pm On Oct 28, 2020
Sanchez01:

DO NOT ABUSE THE WORD 'VETO'. The United States already vetoed (negated or opposed) her candidature. All that is left is to flex the power, which I am not sure they have the power to do.

I am not knowledgeable as to what happens when a candidate is opposed during the WTO selection process but the one thing I know is that the US will frustrate NOI if they cannot remove her. It is always about interest to the US.

Again, the US did not negate her candidature, she is still a candidate.

The US only exercised their rights just like the other 60 member countries to vote against her. The currents votes are 104 for NOI and 64 for YOO, even if the US had joined the 104 member states to vote for her, and there are 63 for YOO, there will still be no consensus candidate and the person that get the most votes on Nov 9 will get the job.

No worries, by Nov 4; Trump’s powers will start withering and international affairs will be the least of his worries....The US will come around.

1 Like

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by Sterope(f): 8:34pm On Oct 28, 2020
I am not Igbo undecided

Easy on the bigotry.

membranus:

Does she look or dress like a true American to you?

She is an hybrid American, therefore Trump, who is a rabid racist, will not support her.

You Igbos better pray that Trump (your hero) is voted out Nov. 3.

Otherwise there goes your kinswoman WTO's leadership.

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by Seebrian(m): 8:35pm On Oct 28, 2020
Congratulations Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala as the first female WTO DG.
Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by Emekaonline: 8:36pm On Oct 28, 2020
jrusky:
For all of you supporting the bitch called Trump here comes again his demonic agenda against anything Africa or black.

Where are those pooh heads ipig now come and defend your trump as usual.

Nonsense people.

That is a lession to those fake Nigerian jews that are diehard trump supporters. I always tell the ignoramuses that Trump doesnt give a damn to anybody in africa. The man is a bloody racist but our lousy tenants will not agree

1 Like

Re: #WTO-DG: Okonjo-Iweala Suggested As New WTO Chief, But US Vetoes by membranus: 8:36pm On Oct 28, 2020
Sterope:
I am not Igbo undecided

Easy on the bigotry.

Noted for sterope.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Imo State Guber: Rochas Okorocha Has Won! / Youths Dragged Down Tinubu’s Banner In Ogun State (Photos) / Pictures Of Political Thugs Arrested In Rivers By The Military.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.