Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. (9964 Views)

Chew That Watermelon Seed. / Why Ar Some Meats Hard 2 Chew? / People Who Chew Poundy And Other Solid Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by lalaboi(m): 6:01pm On Apr 06, 2011
Not when i dey drink garri with am. . even when i dey chop rice with am, i dey eat em equally, .

Maybe because some ppl value meat so much they'd rather enjoy it last grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by GeorgeD1(m): 8:40pm On Apr 06, 2011
hmmm! boi boi is back! grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Phate07(m): 9:33pm On Apr 06, 2011

I guess it is part of our imbibed habits. And many peeps cannot let go of such habits.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by lalaboi(m): 9:58pm On Apr 06, 2011
lalaboi:

Not when i dey drink garri with am. . even when i dey chop rice with am, i dey eat em equally, .

Maybe because some ppl value meat so much they'd rather enjoy it last grin

Dont be a mallam, . You don start with your wahala. . aboki grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by mamagee3(f): 11:40pm On Apr 06, 2011
Phate07:

I guess it is part of our imbibed habits. And many peeps cannot let go of such habits.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by aribisala0(m): 12:20am On Apr 07, 2011
i think maybe the pre-intimacy analogy might be useful here. generally you don't just dive in and start thrusting you have to create an enabling environment.

it is the same with meat . it is more difficult to digest than carbohydrates
so you have to inform your belle that it might have work to do by first sending down some garri etc
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Pweety4me(f): 12:54am On Apr 07, 2011
^Hmmm
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by GeorgeD1(m): 11:04am On Apr 07, 2011
arbisalao,
that your pre-intimacy analogy doesn't seem to tally with the topic under discussion.besides not every peep has time for pre-intimacy these days.most prefer to go in direct! grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Brite02(m): 12:28am On Apr 08, 2011
lalaboi:

Dont be a mallam, . You don start with your wahala. . aboki grin

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin tongue
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Nobody: 5:42am On Apr 08, 2011
think maybe the pre-intimacy analogy might be useful here

not really.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by GeorgeD1(m): 2:56pm On Apr 08, 2011
maybe arbisalao always like 'eating' his babes! grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by aribisala0(m): 3:25pm On Apr 08, 2011
George_D:

maybe arbisalao always like 'eating' his babes! grin
well, i have a good diet lipsrsealed
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by GeorgeD1(m): 3:33pm On Apr 08, 2011
i trust that you do my brother.i hope the whites do taste better than our black wenches? grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by aribisala0(m): 3:44pm On Apr 08, 2011
why would you hope a thing like that?? disgraceful. shocked
would you want  white men to taste better than you??
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by presido1: 6:08pm On Apr 08, 2011
Thatz cos as a child when you eat together with your brothers, the meat will be shared after the meal. The smallest will share the meat cos he will be the last to collect. Funny those old days. Habit formed from childhood is not easy to let go.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by GeorgeD1(m): 7:45pm On Apr 08, 2011
aribisala0:

why would you hope a thing like that?? disgraceful. shocked
would you want  white men to taste better than you??

grin smiley
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by obowunmi(m): 7:48pm On Apr 08, 2011
presido1:

Thatz cos as a child when you eat together with your brothers, the meat will be shared after the meal. The smallest will share the meat cos he will be the last to collect. Funny those old days. Habit formed from childhood is not easy to let go.

at least you shared meat. What about those that didn't have meat to share ? grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Apr 08, 2011
i still eat meat last, no biggie.

i dont feel the need to rebel in that manner.

and i think its probably better to just eat meat alone if you're so inclined and yearning for it. This might be easier for people overseas than in nigeria, unless you're very rich. Steak, burgers, etc are readily available abroad though overeating meat isnt even too healthy as they say.

if you eat the meat first, will you still feel like eating the rest of the meal.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by GeorgeD1(m): 5:33pm On Apr 09, 2011
mama-put has a 'cure' for this age old modesty: serve the meat (assorted) in one bowl and serve the main meal in another.eat the meat as you eat the pounded yam.simple! grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Eltonluigi(m): 5:50pm On Apr 09, 2011
Oh boi u dey here!, i don't 'eat out' too much but i think if u don't hv d luxury of 2-3 meat u just gotta raise d 'trophy' last lol! wink
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Nobody: 9:03pm On Apr 10, 2011
Its some Nigerian thing

When little and off on holidays to my grand ma's.

Used to get slapped on the wrist cos I liked to have my meat inbetween meals

Reason why. . .dunno

Now I still eat it whenever I feel like tongue
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by GeorgeD1(m): 9:53am On Apr 11, 2011
donspony, don't be a spoilt child. wink
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by aribisala0(m): 4:20pm On Apr 11, 2011
seriously; traditionally meat beef animal protein generally was quite expensive and most people didn't have any except on special occasions so we were trained to delay that particular gratification as long as possible. i read somewhere that on average an argentinian eats about one and a half kilos of meat weekly. wow.compared to us that is a lot . probably more than the average nigerian family.

anyway, if  you have ten pieces  with your meal  e.g eran wewe ,shaki,bokoto,abodi,edo,tinko,ogunfe etc you would mix it up and not wait till the end. it is not usual in nigeria to give that much to children because,
well, i guess ibori must have had a lot of meat as a kid grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 13, 2011
George_D:

donspony, don't be a spoilt child. wink

lol, trust.

Nowhere near a spoilt child at all cool
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Nobody: 11:16pm On Apr 13, 2011
From Childhood, my mom always made me do that.

One of her reason was that, if i eat all the meat before the rice and stew, if a visitor comes in, he/she will think she serve us food without meat.

That made sense to me sha!
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by Nobody: 11:18pm On Apr 13, 2011
Yeah, makes sense.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by flourishfx(m): 12:20pm On Apr 14, 2011
u c my people,lets not say because d meat is expensive.
its all abt d mindset from d days off old,wen we were young.
wen u eat ur meat first u hav done a wrong thing,bt wen u eat it last ,yes, u have followed d norm.
c, dis is poverty mentality,4hortage mentality dat our parent of old carried and plante d in2 us,tank God for abundance now.dis is how other things re been learnt 4rm dem and carried in2 adulthood,making it look like dats how its supposed b,wen i eat ,i eat everything 2geda, it makes d meal so alive,delicious,i like eating jollof rice with pieces of fish or meat scattered all over.
wat would u say den wen u re presented wit chicken/goat pepper soup,will u say u will drink all d water/soup first b4 start 2 eat the meat.no way,i will devour all 2geda.
most people eat meat first or along wit d food wen dey re outside (free food) bt wen dey re in their homes,det eat it last, some do dat because dey dnt know wen dey will eat such food again
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by GeorgeD1(m): 7:11pm On Apr 14, 2011
not all meat is expensive, flourishfx. at least vulture is not! grin
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by flourishfx(m): 8:41pm On Apr 14, 2011
like i said,its a mindset thing,a certain kind of mentality.even if its as cheap as N50,weda na kpomo,fried fish sold along d road at N10,N20,even fish head,sharky,chicken feet,bonga,pork tail or nose,donkey,hoarse or dog meat,snake meat,tortise,antelop,rabbit, name it,d same thing will be done.(eat d meat last)

and u know, d funny tin abt dis is dat ,no mata how u don belle full,space must dey to shurkin d meat or fish. part of wat i do 4 a living is catering & decoration ,i cover events,attend functions after doing my job, i c d same tin,even adults. u cant try dat method of eatin ur fish or meat last with my wife or else at d end of d whole meal u wont find anytin at all
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by aribisala0(m): 9:14pm On Apr 14, 2011
dependsonhowmuchmeatyouhave
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by MyJoe: 6:14pm On Apr 20, 2011
odiaero:
@Op, I eat along with meats, it is only does who have one meat   in the food that do wait to eat the meat last
Not necessarily.

I think the possible reasons are:

1. Habit: Someone who grew up in a "traditional" home back in the days when in the evening everyone dipped their hand into the same bowl may carry it as a habit into his adulthood. You know in that sort of arrangement you finish the food before the meat is then "shared" out to everyone by "baba".

2. Concentration or order: Some people have such a sense of order that they may subconsciously carry it over to anything they do. (Read a short story titled "Broken Routine" by Frederick Forsyth to get the sense of the kind of person I am talking about). So he may like to finish his eba, drain the soup, before proceeding meticulously to his meat.

3.  Value: Some may value their meat so much and believe the best is to be reserved for the last.

4.  Appetite: Some people lose appetite if they pause, for any reason, while eating the main course. This happens to me.

The fourth reason is important if you belch frequently.
4.  Stomach order: If you suffer from any gastrointestinal disorder or find you belch frequently after eating, it may be a good idea to start paying attention to how you eat. I would suggest that if it is convenient, you eat your main meal at one go, then eat your meat, before drinking any water. This is because pausing in between your meal to spend a considerable time battling a piece of "kanda", chewing away at meat, or gulping water may increase your chances of belching.
Re: Give Me A Good Reason Why People Chew Meat Last When Eating. by GeorgeD1(m): 7:08pm On Apr 21, 2011
hmmm! what an advice! smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bukateria ("Buka") Food! / What Do Think About Suya ? / What Can I Do With "old" Puff Puff?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.