Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,858 members, 7,806,429 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? (10074 Views)

Most Of The Global Layoffs Have Been In Tech / Indians Are Not Joking In Tech See Photo � / Can You Survive If You Stopped Working In Tech? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:04pm On Oct 29, 2020
I started this thread because of the other thread a nairalander made about monetizing his skills.

Most people who learn programming start this way. HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React or angular or Vue and Node or python and Django. This are all great technologies but there aren't any easy to make money with. Getting a job with the MERN stack nowadays isn't easy. Node only powers 0.9 percent of websites globally and yet everyone wants to learn it. Hng internship everyone wanted Nodejs. 90 percent of the tech industry still uses relational and MySQL databases yet people are killing themselves over nosql databases like MongoDB and of recently graphql.

If you look on the freelance market, Upwork, Fiverr, freelancer et al and also look at the general job market you would see that there aren't that many opportunities for those stacks. The thing that gives people money, the things a junior developer can start to use to put money in their pocket isn't taught. Go and look up WordPress plugin development from youtube and there's just like two videos that explain the process. If you really want to get deeper into that, get ready to read your eyes out on the WordPress documentation. It's also the same thing with WordPress theme development. Magento is also another hot area. The largest E commerce platform in the world yet it's not taught anywhere. Shopify isn't also taught anywhere. Shopify uses liquid as its own programming language base. When was the last time you heard about this or saw anyone teaching or using it. Even the resources to learn these stuffs are very scanty.

I am presently working on a Shopify website and instead of coding a review page, I recommended to the client that we buy an app that does the same thing from the Shopify store. Would you believe a Shopify app which is basically just a JavaScript touch carousel that displays your reviews on your home page has 5 dollar monthly subscription with more than 10000 users. The theme the client is using. I had to rewrite most of the CSS. He bought it for 200 USD. I wonder how the theme was even accepted on Shopify. I mean this guys are banking low key and this are technologies no one talks about or even looks at. Everyone is MERN stack, MERN stack. If you mention WordPress they fit kill you or remove your head. Why does the tech industry hide where people can make money from men?

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by Karleb(m): 5:30pm On Oct 29, 2020
It's called shinning object syndrome and we are all guilty of it.

Adam Wathan a backend developer who once worked with Taylor Otwell on Laravel had to quit his job to focus on Tailwindcss, a css framework, because he was making so much money from it.

That is why it's good to know fundamentals though, if you know php as is, you'd be able to tackle any framework or package, so far its php.

I do wonder why people go into AI directly in Nigeria without the knowledge of web or mobile app development, wetin you go dey chop before your AI job comes?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:37pm On Oct 29, 2020
Karleb:
It's called shinning object syndrome and we are all guilty of it.

Adam Wathan a backend developer who once worked with Taylor Otwell on Laravel had to quit his job to focus on Tailwindcss, a css framework, because he was making so much money from it.

That is why it's good to know fundamentals though, if you know php as is, you'd be able to tackle any framework or package, so far its php.

I do wonder why people go into AI directly in Nigeria without the knowledge of web or mobile app development, wetin you go dey chop before your AI job comes?
Bros exactly. The unshiny and unattractive things are what gives money o.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by plat0: 5:43pm On Oct 29, 2020
Bro, this phenomenon is not peculiar to the tech industry, discretion is actually encouraged in businesses to prevent saturation. Most rich and successful people attained their financial standing by working on a classified info/industry before it hits satiety(nothing stays hidden forever).

A couple of years back, some group of Nigerians made a ton of money from Upwork, fiverr, and other similar platforms because that info was not within reach of everybody, heck, at the time, getting jobs on those platform was a walk in the park because the available jobs outweighed the supply of freelancers. After a couple of years because of the deluge of participants on those platforms, the registration process became stricter and getting jobs got harder.

Bro, if you desire unprecedented wealth, you have to protect your TRADE SECRET, its just how the world works.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:59pm On Oct 29, 2020
plat0:
Bro, this phenomenon is not peculiar to the tech industry, discretion is actually encouraged in businesses to prevent saturation. Most rich and successful people attained their financial standing by acting on a classified info/industry before it hits satiety(nothing stays hidden forever).

A couple of years back, some group of Nigerians made a ton of money from Upwork, fiverr, and other similar platforms because that info was not within reach of everybody, heck, at the time, getting jobs on those platform was a walk in the park because the available jobs outweighed the supply of freelancers. After a couple of years because of the deluge of participants on those platforms, the registration process became stricter and getting jobs got harder.

Bro, if you desire unprecedented wealth, you have to protect your TRADE SECRET, its just how the world works.

Upwork has never been easy ever. They used to give 60 connects before for free and if you don't get a job there you get your account banned. They stopped banning accounts once they got rid of free connects. There's still a ton of money to be made on Upwork but it requires a huge investment on your part both in terms of money and time. The funny thing is that most of these technologies have been there for ages but are even made fun of by other developers. Walk into a group of developers and tell them that you are a WordPress developer and watch them laugh at you yet how many of them can build a custom WordPress theme from scratch. People dont even know that you can use React and angular to build WordPress themes now through the WordPress rest API
. This site https://atlantadumpsters.com/ was made with WordPress. Just look at how slick the animations are. This was a custom theme job and I heard the owners paid 10000 USD for it.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by Carmal90(m): 6:06pm On Oct 29, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
I started this thread because of the other thread a nairalander made about monetizing his skills.

Most people who learn programming start this way. HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React or angular or Vue and Node or python and Django. This are all great technologies but there aren't any easy to make money with. Getting a job with the MERN stack nowadays isn't easy. Node only powers 0.9 percent of websites globally and yet everyone wants to learn it. Hng internship everyone wanted Nodejs. 90 percent of the tech industry still uses relational and MySQL databases yet people are killing themselves over nosql databases like MongoDB and of recently graphql.

If you look on the freelance market, Upwork, Fiverr, freelancer et al and also look at the general job market you would see that there aren't that many opportunities for those stacks. The thing that gives people money, the things a junior developer can start to use to put money in their pocket isn't taught. Go and look up WordPress plugin development from youtube and there's just like two videos that explain the process. If you really want to get deeper into that, get ready to read your eyes out on the WordPress documentation. It's also the same thing with WordPress theme development. Magento is also another hot area. The largest E commerce platform in the world yet it's not taught anywhere. Shopify isn't also taught anywhere. Shopify uses liquid as its own programming language base. When was the last time you heard about this or saw anyone teaching or using it. Even the resources to learn these stuffs are very scanty.

I am presently working on a Shopify website and instead of coding a review page, I recommended to the client that we buy an app that does the same thing from the Shopify store. Would you believe a Shopify app which is basically just a JavaScript touch carousel that displays your reviews on your home page has 5 dollar monthly subscription with more than 10000 users. The theme the client is using. I had to rewrite most of the CSS. He bought it for 200 USD. I wonder how the theme was even accepted on Shopify. I mean this guys are banking low key and this are technologies no one talks about or even looks at. Everyone is MERN stack, MERN stack. If you mention WordPress they fit kill you or remove your head. Why does the tech industry hide where people can make money from men?

So I should start learning WordPress??

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by plat0: 6:36pm On Oct 29, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Upwork has never been easy ever. They used to give 60 connects before for free and if you don't get a job there you get your account banned. They stopped banning accounts once they got rid of free connects. There's still a ton of money to be made on Upwork but it requires a huge investment on your part both in terms of money and time. The funny thing is that most of these technologies have been there for ages but are even made fun of by other developers. Walk into a group of developers and tell them that you are a WordPress developer and watch them laugh at you yet how many of them can build a custom WordPress theme from scratch. People dont even know that you can use React and angular to build WordPress themes now through the WordPress rest API
. This site https://atlantadumpsters.com/ was made with WordPress. Just look at how slick the animations are. This was a custom theme job and I heard the owners paid 10000 USD for it.
There is money to be made but you need a keen eye to discover gold mines and tenancity.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:41pm On Oct 29, 2020
plat0:
There is money to be made but you need a keen eye to discover gold mines and tenancity.
My own is that even the resources to even learn the things aren't that much and the ones there are rubbish. WordPress theme development courses on Udemy are so few and rubbish old outdated crap. YouTube story. Shopify the same thing. The guys who even know it are hoarding the knowledge whereas the ones that you can't make money with MERN stack and co courses full ground yapa. Enter youtube you will even see how to build youtube with MERN stack.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by plat0: 6:43pm On Oct 29, 2020
Carmal90:

So I should start learning WordPress??
Learn WordPress theme and plugin development, and PHP.
In the past week, I have seen four openings for PHP developers with compensations ranging from 300k-700k(full time employment) in a code club group. Those positions are unfilled because everyone is learning Nodejs and Django.

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by plat0: 6:45pm On Oct 29, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

My own is that even the resources to even learn the things aren't that much and the ones there are rubbish. WordPress theme development courses on Udemy are so few and rubbish old outdated crap. YouTube story. Shopify the same thing. The guys who even know it are hoarding the knowledge whereas the ones that you can't make money with MERN stack and co courses full ground yapa. Enter youtube you will even see how to build youtube with MERN stack.
we go use DOCS, it'll take some time but we move grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by plat0: 6:46pm On Oct 29, 2020
Hello Engineers,

Please I need mid level and senior software engineers proficient is both PHP using MySQL database. Please i would appreciate strong applications/referrals.

2 days onsite 3 days remote.

300k - 700k

Recruitwitholive@gmail.com

Thank you.
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:49pm On Oct 29, 2020
plat0:
Hello Engineers,

Please I need mid level and senior software engineers proficient is both PHP using MySQL database. Please i would appreciate strong applications/referrals.

300k - 700k

Thank you.Hello Engineers,

300k - 700k

Thank you.
Bro yesterday I saw a job on Upwork. They were willing to pay 50 USD an hour for a Magento developer. I saved that job post it still had less than 5 proposals till now. I don't know anything about Magento so I can't apply plus they wanted someone that has at least the least Magento certification.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by Carmal90(m): 7:47pm On Oct 29, 2020
plat0:
Learn WordPress theme and plugin development, and PHP.
In the past week, I have seen four openings for PHP developers with compensations ranging from 300k-700k(full time employment) in a local code club watsapp group. Those positions are unfilled because everybody is learning Nodejs and Django.
Pls any suggestions on where to learn from?
Search YouTube, scanty information
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by MrJavaS: 8:17pm On Oct 29, 2020
True talk...I asked a top udemy instructor on whether he would teach PHP and he said no and never.

The best bet is to come up with a good idea and use tech stacks like MERN or MEVN to complete it and earn your money.
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by mcjohny(m): 8:36pm On Oct 29, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by jaycpu(m): 4:06am On Oct 30, 2020
is there any cheap way to host these stacks? I mean u can get a cheap server for php sites to host at relatively cheap price. any availability for the MERN stack

MrJavaS:
True talk...I asked a top udemy instructor on whether he would teach PHP and he said no and never.

The best bet is to come up with a good idea and use tech stacks like MERN or MEVN to complete it and earn your money.
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:47am On Oct 30, 2020
MrJavaS:

The only way to make money with the MERN stack is to get a job or build your own startup. Startups are hard and there's a 95 percent chance of failure. If one needs a team of developers to build an idea, to me they have already failed. This WordPress, Shopify and Magento stuff is something a developer can use few hours of their time to build and they are already part of an ecosystem. Imagine building a useful wordpress plugin with a freemium model. Plugin has like 10000 downloads and you even start charging 5 dollars a month for advanced features and like 1000 people pay. That's 5000 USD a month from one plugin. WordPress advertises your plugins. You don't need SEO, you don't need a whole development team, you don't need frontend or backend or UI and UX designers and all of that to do a plugin. The koko is the knowledge to even learn to build and develop a useful plugin in hidden from the public. Not much videos and courses so you need to read your eyes out and ask questions out there.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by Winnerrrr(m): 9:51am On Oct 30, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

The only way to make money with the MERN stack is to get a job or build your own startup. Startups are hard and there's a 95 percent chance of failure. If one needs a team of developers to build an idea, to me they have already failed. This WordPress, Shopify and Magento stuff is something a developer can use few hours of their time to build and they are already part of an ecosystem. Imagine building a useful wordpress plugin with a freemium model. Plugin has like 10000 downloads and you even start charging 5 dollars a month for advanced features and like 1000 people pay. That's 5000 USD a month from one plugin. WordPress advertises your plugins. You don't need SEO, you don't need a whole development team, you don't need frontend or backend or UI and UX designers and all of that to do a plugin. The koko is the knowledge to even learn to build and develop a useful plugin in hidden from the public. Not much videos and courses so you need to read your eyes out and ask questions out there.

Apt!

This actually rings a bell, there is this guy check him out syedbalkhi.com, he owns an 8 figure online businesses and all he does is selling WordPress plugins.

I also think if we can spare some few thousands and run Facebook Ads getting clients won't be a problem.

I saw a Job on Upwork, the guy needs a static website with a fixed price of $300.

Imagine that, even if it's 100 USD only per website, 6 customers a month will be damn okay.
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by MrJavaS: 11:06am On Oct 30, 2020
jaycpu:
is there any cheap way to host these stacks? I mean u can get a cheap server for php sites to host at relatively cheap price. any availability for the MERN stack

Yea...a site know as whogohost actually hosts node.js apps cheaply. Also heroku is a free hosting service

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by MrJavaS: 11:15am On Oct 30, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

You are right bro. But even though there's a 95% chance of failure one needs to try. That others tried and failed doesn't mean one should give up.

Hanging on to obsolete technology isn't the way. The MERN or MEVN is overtaking the likes of WordPress and PHP. It'll take time though. Unless one is only after the money. It's no use devoting time to learning the likes of PHP or WordPress (You're not even considered a developer sef)

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by Karleb(m): 11:20am On Oct 30, 2020
MrJavaS:

You are right bro. But even though there's a 95% chance of failure one needs to try. That others tried and failed doesn't mean one should give up.

Hanging on to obsolete technology isn't the way. The MERN or MEVN is overtaking the likes of WordPress and PHP. It'll take time though. Unless one is only after the money. It's no use devoting time to learning the likes of PHP or WordPress (You're not even considered a developer sef)

I disagree. WordPress isn't going anywhere soon.

And why the hate for PHP?
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:43am On Oct 30, 2020
MrJavaS:

Overtaking yet node is still at 0.9 percent after ten years. MongoDB has less than 2 percent market share. PHP still powers 80 percent of websites and WordPress 33 percent. Even scala an obscure language has a greater market share than Nodejs at 1.9 percent.
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by Karleb(m): 11:57am On Oct 30, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Overtaking yet node is still at 0.9 percent after ten years. MongoDB has less than 2 percent market share. PHP still powers 80 percent of websites and WordPress 33 percent. Even scala an obscure language has a greater market share than Nodejs at 1.9 percent.

I don't really get it.

Ask them why they hate PHP and they don't have a genuine reason.

A true developer never hate any language.
If tomorrow I will need to learn Matlab to add value (make money), I will!

I've been hearing PHP is dead since I can remember but PHP 8 is coming before year end.

Many developer like to live in a perceived future while neglecting what is going on now.

Na them sabi o.

You see that PHP and MYSQL, it is a devine marriage made from above, nothing can ever separate them. cheesy

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by naijasensei: 1:20pm On Oct 30, 2020
MrJavaS:

PHP outdated? Don't make me laugh. You are probably referring to old versions of PHP (3, 4, and 5). PHP7 is lit, PHP8 will also be dropping this year. If you tell me PHP was crap before - no problem, if you tell me PHP made it easy to write unsafe code before - I would agree with you, but calling PHP outdated - no way, that is a declaration of war.
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by naijasensei: 1:45pm On Oct 30, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I actually align with @plat0 here. The main thing I always remember is - solve people's problems, while using the best tools available at your disposal. Businesses do not care about your tech stack, they care about results.
For example, PHP was built for the web - so it excels there. I would be crazy trying to create a CLI app, or worse yet a desktop GUI app with PHP - it is possible, but not worth it. If I want to dabble into data science - Python would be my go to. Every tech stack has its own niche where it will excel.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by Sulele04(m): 2:39pm On Oct 30, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Bros exactly. The unshiny and unattractive things are what gives money o.
Bro i must say you are spot on.
Blockchain programming is the one of the highest paid programming jobs, i know someone paid about 1m just to build blockchains, but there is very few resources before i could see a good course about blockchain i sweat shocked.
but now I have download solidity and its ide so i am now ready to start learning blockchain programming

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by MrJavaS: 5:15pm On Oct 30, 2020
Karleb:

I don't really get it.

Ask them why they hate PHP and they don't have a genuine reason.

A true developer never hate any language.
If tomorrow I will need to learn Matlab to add value (make money), I will!

I've been hearing PHP is dead since I can remember but PHP 8 is coming before year end.

Many developer like to live in a perceived future while neglecting what is going on now.

Na them sabi o.

You see that PHP and MYSQL, it is a devine marriage made from above, nothing can ever separate them. cheesy

Well I guess one has to just learn PHP and mySQL too. What's the use of being broke.

I still don't get why it is not recommended to be learned at this time
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by Anonime1105(m): 6:05pm On Oct 30, 2020
Reading this thread has opened my eyes to some possibilities.....

cheesy cheesy wink
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by Anonime1105(m): 6:06pm On Oct 30, 2020
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 30, 2020
I agree with op. When you check sites like fiverr and Upwork, you'll see that a vast majority of the freelance web jobs are for PHP, wordpress and some other random tech. NodeJs, django etc are usually not that much.
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by Africangiants(m): 3:25am On Oct 31, 2020
Fiverr is a great place to start money making online. Here i state 12 gigs that is easy and without skills basically. checkout this video and enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUaIHUG-XHk
Re: Why Is It That The Things That Give Money In Tech Are Always Hidden? by talk2hb1(m): 8:37am On Oct 31, 2020
PHP is dead yet it still food on our table, PHP still funds our account, Abeg dead man putting money for person akkant died. I have been doing PHP for almost 10years, Abeg grin

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

LEARN ETHICAL HACKING,TIPS AND TRICKS / What Does It Take To Develop An Ecommerce Site Like Ebay & Amazon / Shocking Discovery: Bitcoin Private Keys Are The Transaction Hashes You See.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.