Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,111 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

IPPIS: FG Paid Some Professors N8,000 As Monthly Salary – Abiodun Ogunyemi - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / IPPIS: FG Paid Some Professors N8,000 As Monthly Salary – Abiodun Ogunyemi (35993 Views)

Strike: We Haven’t Exempted ASUU From IPPIS – FG / IPPIS: FG Says Lecturers Enrolling, Despite ASUU’s Opposition / IPPIS: FG Tells ASUU No Agency Must Oppose Payment System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IPPIS: FG Paid Some Professors N8,000 As Monthly Salary – Abiodun Ogunyemi by BafanaBafana: 10:46am On Oct 31, 2020
Decimus:

Most of them take huge loans to marry third wife, buy Cars or renovate their in-laws house. It's only natural that when salaries are paid, the necessary deductions would be made and what's left it's what's left.
Keep quiet.
When IPPS was tested recently, my VC received 60k as salary. A messenger, my neighbour received 400k.
If you don't know ask
Re: IPPIS: FG Paid Some Professors N8,000 As Monthly Salary – Abiodun Ogunyemi by otokx(m): 4:38pm On Oct 31, 2020
BafanaBafana:

Keep quiet.
When IPPS was tested recently, my VC received 60k as salary. A messenger, my neighbour received 400k.
If you don't know ask

This lie is meant to enter the guineas book of world records.
Re: IPPIS: FG Paid Some Professors N8,000 As Monthly Salary – Abiodun Ogunyemi by AAA593: 4:42pm On Oct 31, 2020
The national leadership of University Teachers Association of Ghana- UTAG and the Ghana Association of University Administrators-GAUA has called on government to withdraw its decision to migrate its members onto the Controller and Accountant General’s payroll.

UTAG and GAUA find this intention of government as “one of the several strategies being employed to micromanage universities from afar using emoluments as key modus to whip universities into line when they attempt to assert their independence”.

They have both described the move as needless highlighting a number of untold hardships they believe can befall their members with this new development.

In a release issued on October 28, 2020, the leadership of the two associations argues on the basis that “there is virtually no problem with the present payroll systems of public universities for which the migration seeks to resolve”; adding that some institutions like the “UPSA and GIJ who are already on the Electronic Salary Pay Voucher (ESPV), has revealed that some of their allowances have been taken off”.

They also expressed concerns on some deductions, including loan repayments and monthly dues to UTAG and GAUA, which will attract a service charge of up to 3%.

Additionally, the associations have raised concerns of a possible “convoluted bureaucratic process in the event of an individual having one problem or another bordering on one’s salary”.

Moreover, it is believed that “the setting up of the Personnel Processing Section (PPS) alone for the universities is not a guarantee for eliminating the numerous problems envisaged by members and will mean a complete change in the already established business processes of Human Resource”.
The associations have also expressed fears of this new development “crippling the developmental activities invested by members in terms of financial and human resources and will serve as a means for Government to take over the IGFs of public universities”.
In this regard, they have proposed what they believe to be a more friendly and reliable alternative of CAGD introducing a “certification program for universities that must necessarily be renewed annually subject to the norms of CAGD”.

By this arrangement, universities would not be migrated to any centralised system as is being practiced already by the Security Services and CAGD would not necessarily have to be burdened by managing payroll of public universities. This they believe “will not only save cost and time, but also improve efficiency in service delivery at CAGD”.

UTAG and GAUA have called on government to rescind its decision of migrating payrolls of public universities onto the Government of Ghana mechanised payroll and also requested fast-track processes to remove UPSA and GIJ from the IPPD2 platform.

They have also called for the return payment of their members in the School of Public Health, University of Ghana, to what other members of the University of Ghana are currently having.

They added that failure on the part of government to comply with their request will give them no other option than to “advise themselves”.
https://reportghana.com/gaua-utag-oppose-migration-of-university-staff-onto-govt-mechanised-payroll/
Re: IPPIS: FG Paid Some Professors N8,000 As Monthly Salary – Abiodun Ogunyemi by AAA593: 4:46pm On Oct 31, 2020
You'll see people blaming this government almost in every sector but when it comes to ASUU, the government is right.
Re: IPPIS: FG Paid Some Professors N8,000 As Monthly Salary – Abiodun Ogunyemi by AAA593: 5:11pm On Oct 31, 2020
*ASUU STRIKE, INSINCERE GOVERNMENT AND THE PUBLIC THAT REFUSED TO BE SCHOOLED...*

What interests me about our people is the fact that it is so easy for us to take sides with our oppressors depending on where our loyalty lies at that moment. They asked why ASUU is on strike but never asked why education is never a priority of the government and why the government refused to honour an agreement they willingly signed. A lot have been written about ASUU and the current strike action but same questions that have already been addressed are still popping up on the same issues. Should we just give up on those that have refused to be schooled? As Teachers, we can’t just give up on you. We’ll still assume that you genuinely don’t know and still asking the questions to know.
Even though IPPIS seems to have taken the centre stage of the struggle, some of the reasons why ASUU is on strike at the moment are:

- Implementation of 2019 MoA,
- The release of the 1.1 trillion naira Revitalization funds as agreed in 2013 MoU,
- The release of Earned Academic Allowance (EAA),
- Renegotiation of 2009 agreement. This renegotiation include the salary package of Lecturers,
Then, the added distraction called IPPIS and the payment of the withheld salaries.

There are lots of questions on the “University Autonomy” and the funding of public universities. There was a question that “How can you claim to be autonomous when you are funded by FG?” It is called “public university” because it is funded with PUBLIC FUNDS and it is autonomous because University is a system that need to be shielded from external political influence and interference. That is why NASS found it necessary to enact the Universities Autonomy Act No. 1, 2007. "The Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment) Act 2003 (otherwise called the Universities Autonomy Act No. 1, 2007) enacted by the National Assembly and signed into law on 10th July 2003 and later gazetted by the Federal Republic of Nigerian Official Gazette No. 10, Volume 94 of 12th January 2007 as Act No. 1 of 2000, has vested the powers of managing personnel and payroll system issues in the hands of each university’s Governing Council".

That means that by this Act and Nigerian law, the University's Governing Council, the managers of personnel and payroll system of the university, chaired by an appointee of Federal Government are empowered by law to hire Adjunct and Visiting Professors if the need arises but Buhari's government policy wants to abolish it.

Meanwhile, the university has different management levels to checkmate the excesses in the system if properly utilized by the government who retains the ultimate power of control over the Universities. The management headed by the VC oversees the affairs of the university. The University Council hires the VC after due process, oversees the activities of the university management, is vested with the powers of managing personnel and payroll system and can fire the VC if the need arises. The Visitor (President) hires the University Council Chairman, frequently sends visitation panels to the universities to check the activities of the management and council and can fire the council chairman or even dissolve the entire council members if the need arises.

So, public university draws its funding from public funds and is autonomous (freedom to govern self) to liberate the Universities from the bureaucracy of the Civil Service and to enable the Council exercise its powers and perform its functions without undue external interference or influence.

There was also this question that “How can ASUU be dictating to his employer on how they should be paid?” The University Autonomy Act; Section 2AA states that: “The powers of the Council shall be exercised, as in the Law and Statutes of each University and to this extent ESTABLISHMENT CIRCULARS THAT ARE INCONSISTENT WITH THE LAWS AND STATUTES OF THE UNIVERSITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO THE UNIVERSITIES.” and Section 2AAA states that: “
Re: IPPIS: FG Paid Some Professors N8,000 As Monthly Salary – Abiodun Ogunyemi by Decimus: 10:23pm On Oct 31, 2020
proffemi:

All ramifications? I hope you're not a Science or Engineering graduate making such a sweeping and patently false statement. Research funding? Infrastructure? Student facilities? I can tell you with 100% confidence that every single federal university has improved significantly in at least one of those areas over the last 20 years.

Don't be slow. Saying they are improving is hardly the same as saying they are world class or even of acceptable standard. That they still remain in relatively bad states despite the increased funding and interventions should tell you how bad things were, and how much is really needed to take them to world-class standards.

People get so selective about hiding information when they are lying freely. Mention at least one of those your two universities unless you're afraid or ashamed. I am in Obafemi Awolowo University for example. I'm neither proud of, nor ashamed of that fact. Challenge me, and I will tell you some of what TETFUND has done in my university. Mention your own university, and I will do same for it.
Lol, I spent 5 years there.
Upload the pictures of the bathrooms or toilets and let's compare it with how they were 20 years ago.

Upload the pictures of white house that's not really white anymore.

Ask those students going for practicals, how many students per table/ apparatus.

How many Lecture halls do Law department have?

Do you know how level one students do pack themselves inside 1000 seaters like Sardine?

In OAU, people go to receive lectures in an open field in sport complex, even Law students.

It's in OAU you see law students dragging lecture halls with Medical students at HSLT.

My Dad actually chose the school for me then, cos it's also his Alma mater. I could remember when my mum was buying my things then, he was like i don't need all these buckets that there's Shower in Angola. grin

My Alma mater in the North is even more organised and well structured than OAU but the place is still nothing to write home about.
But OAU is one of the fastest decaying Federal universites, even though ogunbode tried to decongest the hostels and did some patch works in the name of renovation.

The only thing that improved in OAU is security, i could go to my bank at 2am to use the ATM, from when it was behind the library before they moved it to banking area.
Re: IPPIS: FG Paid Some Professors N8,000 As Monthly Salary – Abiodun Ogunyemi by proffemi: 4:54am On Nov 01, 2020
Decimus:
Lol, I spent 5 years there.

You are so ignorant, even if sincere in your ignorance. Fortunately, you attended this same OAU, and even more fortunately, you admitted it. You've obviously been assessing your “improvement” over the few years you spent here, and your very limited experience. This is why people are warned not to judge based on limited personal or anecdotal evidence, but people like you will obviously never learn.

Chief, when WE say the system has improved, it’s because we know what it was like in the “glory” days of the late 70s and early 80s. We know how bad it got in the late 80’s and early 90’s and so we can speak confidently about how it has improved slowly but steadily since that time. People like you who are comparative children in terms of their history with the system should keep quiet and listen to reason from their elders, rather than argue blindly. It is almost comical how you have selected the worst possible points to make your case.

Upload the pictures of the bathrooms or toilets and let's compare it with how they were 20 years ago.
I do not need to upload any pictures. All you need to know is that a male hostel like Angola used to OFFICIALLY allocate 9 students to a room 20 years ago. This number OFFICIALLY went up to 13 a few years later, with squatting an accepted fact. Now, the official allocation is between 4 and 6 MAXIMUM in any male room on campus. Squatting is strictly forbidden. Tell me, is that an improvement or not Interestingly, you yourself grudgingly admit this improvement below. I can only hope you are capable of appreciating irony.

Upload the pictures of white house that's not really white anymore.
For your information, the whole of White House was painted TWICE within those 20 years. You’re only saying it isn’t white because, again, you are basically a child in this system. You don’t even know when it almost became gray years ago. For your information, as it stands today, White House is white by any fair Nigerian standard. Thank God you are in OAUTHC; you can either drive down or take a cab down there to solve your double vision problem.

Ask those students going for practicals, how many students per table/ apparatus.
Many departments have improved in this area, some dramatically. In Department of Physics (a convenient starting point since you mentioned White House), almost all the undergraduate laboratories now have air conditioners. They did not have this 20 years ago. Needless to say, their equipment is also generally better. I’m not saying they are adequate. But certainly better. That department now has a 100 kVA Mikano generator. Power blackouts rarely affect their labs now from what I’m told. In the same White House, Geology now also has a 250 kVA Mikano generator. Also procured in the last 20 years. In our area in Computer, there are now at least FOUR new building blocks that did not exist 20 years ago, filled with new equipment including postgraduate labs that did not exist 20 years ago. I can also confidently say that for the Faculty of Technology practical classes that still hold, the number of students per table HAS REDUCED in the last 20 years.

How many Lecture halls do Law department have?
This is a surprisingly ignorant question from an alumnus who works so close to campus. Law now has a moot court that is one of the largest single-floor structures on OAU campus. Built in the last 5 years. Needless to say, there are literally DOZENS more lecture rooms and theaters on campus built in the last 20 years, most of which the Law students have access to.

Do you know how level one students do pack themselves inside 1000 seaters like Sardine?
This still happens, but if you were not so young, you would know that it was far more rampant 20 years ago. It is quite rare these days, given the large number of huge lecture theaters built in the last 20 years. There are actually few unmanageably* huge classes on campus. That students of those few courses have to be packed inside the lecture rooms is a statement on the NUC’s aggressive push to increase the intake, and says nothing about the relative improvement in the state of facilities.

In OAU, people go to receive lectures in an open field in sport complex, even Law students.
This is so rare now, that I can call “bullshit”. Due to the aforementioned new lecture theaters, this scenario basically doesn’t happen anymore unless outdoor learning has some role in the class itself, or it was unscheduled.

It's in OAU you see law students dragging lecture halls with Medical students at HSLT.
You never learn. Still insisting on judging the world based on your limited personal experiences. Obviously you made this statement because you were confined to your small world in the biological sciences area, and used to witness lecture clashes. Unfortunately for you, we’re talking about improvements here, right? The situation has improved TREMENDOUSLY over the last 20 years. I personally used to teach at least one course in HSLTC per semester back then. Now, I do not even know when last I went near there, because we have access to at least THREE new 500 /1000-seater lecture theaters.

But OAU is one of the fastest decaying Federal universities, even though ogunbode tried to decongest the hostels and did some patch works in the name of renovation.
Again, a shockingly ignorant and sweeping statement. How many of them have you ever visited? Have you, per chance, ever stepped into UNN? Of any of at least a dozen other federal universities that OAU is night-and-day better than in terms of facilities?

The only thing that improved in OAU is security, i could go to my bank at 2am to use the ATM, from when it was behind the library before they moved it to banking area.
This again shows how young you are. ATM "behind" library and “Banking area” allows me to fix your generation quite easily, and understand your plight and limited scope. Interestingly, Security in one area where I cannot confidently argue that there has been an improvement. The new contract staff at the gates are not as well-trained or competent as the old hands. But more to the point you ignorantly raised, the real Great Ife OLD students will confidently tell you that security in OAU has ALWAYS been generally top notch (bar the Iwilade et al incident).

Look, I don’t know how to wrap this up. The little I have written above are just a tiny fraction of the improvements in OAU over the period in question. I have not mentioned the multiple research/policy centers and structures that did not exist back then. I did not mention that fact that local research grants (URC and TETFUND) amounted to between 2 and 10 mullion pa back then, but now typically reach well over N300 million.

It is of course disappointing that someone like you who has been ranting about the state of the universities has proved to be so shockingly out of touch with the state of even you own alma mater. And yet, you’ve been making so much mouth. Shameful, really.

The takeaway is this: the universities have improved over the last 20 years. This is incontrovertible. But they are still far from where they need to be, hence ASUU’s crusade. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: IPPIS: FG Paid Some Professors N8,000 As Monthly Salary – Abiodun Ogunyemi by BafanaBafana: 5:04am On Nov 01, 2020
otokx:

This lie is meant to enter the guineas book of world records.
Go and prepare for your JAMB please, I no get your time.
Re: IPPIS: FG Paid Some Professors N8,000 As Monthly Salary – Abiodun Ogunyemi by NairaMaster1(m): 10:50am On Nov 01, 2020
frog12:
you just make me laff!

I tell you bros. The man go wear glasses the yan Buhari up and down. When him eye cleared him no need glasses again.
Re: IPPIS: FG Paid Some Professors N8,000 As Monthly Salary – Abiodun Ogunyemi by Mires: 2:17pm On Nov 01, 2020
Decimus:

In Nigerian universities
Connection
Etc

I'm saying what i know. I attended two Federal universites in two different regions.
If you like, attend six federal Universities from the six geo-political zones. Your points as displayed are baseless.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ahmad Idris Kareka Graduates With 1st Class From Shenyang University Technology / UNIJOS Student Stabbed To Death By Hoodlums (Graphic Photos) / Team UNIBEN Wins International Award For Vehicle Innovation.(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.