Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,385 members, 7,800,777 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) (66374 Views)

Asteroid Twice World's Tallest Building Will Pass Through Earth On Friday (Pics) / Asteroid Strikes Earth Off The Coast Of Iceland / Ancient Egyptian Mummy Unearthed With Shining Gold Tongue After 2000 Years (Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 30, 2020
Researchers from the University of Hawaii have warned that an asteroid dubbed the ‘god of Chaos’ could smash into Earth in 2068

The idea of an enormous asteroid colliding with Earth may sound like a plot from a science fiction blockbuster, but it could become a reality in just 48 years.

Researchers from the University of Hawaii have warned that an asteroid dubbed the ‘God of Chaos’ could smash into Earth in 2068.

The asteroid, officially called Apophis, is estimated to measure 340 metres in diameter. That means the space rock could be even bigger than the Eiffel Tower!

In the study, the researchers observed Apophis speeding up due to ‘non-uniform thermal radiation’.

All asteroids radiate energy from sunlight as heat, in order to maintain a constant temperature. In the process, this slightly alters the orbit of the asteroid.

And the way in which Apophis is doing this indicates that it could speed up enough to collide with Earth in 2068.

However, that won’t be the first time the asteroid comes dangerously close to our planet.

On April 13 2029, Apophis will be so close to Earth that it will be visible with the naked eye.

Dave Tholen, who led the study, said: “We have known for some time that an impact with Earth is not possible during the 2029 close approach.

“The new observations we obtained with the Subaru telescope earlier this year were good enough to reveal the Yarkovsky acceleration of Apophis, and they show that the asteroid is drifting away from a purely gravitational orbit by about 170 meters per year, which is enough to keep the 2068 impact scenario in play.”

During the passing in 2029, NASA will closely monitor Apophis.

Marina Brozović, a radar scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, said: “The Apophis close approach in 2029 will be an incredible opportunity for science.

“We’ll observe the asteroid with both optical and radar telescopes. With radar observations, we might be able to see surface details that are only a few meters in size.”

If Apophis is found to be on a collision course for Earth in 2068, NASA has several tactics up its sleeve to prevent a collision.

It explained: “One of the techniques suggested for deflecting an asteroid includes nuclear fusion weapons set off above the surface to slightly change the asteroid’s velocity without fracturing it.

“High speed neutrons from the explosion would irradiate a shell of material on the surface of the asteroid facing the explosion. The material in this surface shell would then expand and blow off, thus producing a recoil upon the asteroid itself.

“A very modest velocity change in the asteroid’s motion (only a few millimeters per second), acting over several years, can cause the asteroid to miss the Earth entirely. However, the trick is to gently nudge the asteroid out of harm’s way and not to blow it up.

“This latter option, though popular in the movies, only creates a bigger problem when all the pieces encounter the Earth.

“Another option that has been discussed includes the establishment of large solar sails on a small threatening object so that the pressure of sunlight could eventually redirect the object away from its predicted Earth collision.”
Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/huge-god-chaos-asteroid-speeding-22923323

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Blakjewelry(m): 9:56pm On Oct 30, 2020
48 years is still far na, by then we must have thought of what to do with it

256 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Ever8090: 10:04pm On Oct 30, 2020
So what should we do?..shift the earth to avoid the collision or what...?

658 Likes 44 Shares

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by starbuck(f): 10:10pm On Oct 30, 2020
Nothing to worry about undecided undecided since there's every possibility that i might not be alive then

175 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Peterjnr123: 10:13pm On Oct 30, 2020
Rubbish science...this earth is perfect and built by a wise God... God will not be heartless and foolish to create a world and also create another things to crash in anytime...

180 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by iamyemiakins(m): 10:29pm On Oct 30, 2020
We can't feel it in Nigeria, we're still facing the smashing Buhari and his cohorts are doing to us currently.

119 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Goahead(m): 10:33pm On Oct 30, 2020
starbuck:
Nothing to worry about undecided undecided since there's every possibility that i might not be alive then
How about your offsprings?

The name "god of chaos" is an overkill when you consider modern nukes in the arsenals of Russia and the US militaries that have the potential of decimating an area the size of France.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by starbuck(f): 10:34pm On Oct 30, 2020
Goahead:
How about your offsprings?

They must have learned how to fend for themselves..

123 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Whitecoal711: 10:36pm On Oct 30, 2020
If na only Nigeria no hope, na to just extinct like the dinosaurs
rather we go busy dey throw ethnic blame,
even fight before e hit us
you go dey hear things like,na Yoruba or ignore or Hausa,
I with the few good people wey believe in God and love pray make God have mercy and open our eyes and shower us with love

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Notatribalist(m): 10:39pm On Oct 30, 2020
starbuck:
You kids will be alive

10 Likes

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Arthurity1(m): 10:46pm On Oct 30, 2020
Peterjnr123:
Rubbish science...this earth is perfect and built by a wise God... God will not be heartless and foolish to create a world and also create another things to crash in anytime...
My guy, cool your rubbish down... We are one push of a button away from the end of all life on earth incase you don't know.

33 Likes

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by starbuck(f): 10:46pm On Oct 30, 2020
Notatribalist:
You kids will be alive

They can take care of themselves when that time comes because they must have been parents or grandparents

8 Likes

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Notatribalist(m): 10:54pm On Oct 30, 2020
starbuck:

They can take care of themselves when that time comes because they must have been parents or grandparents
From the look on your picture you seems to be in your twenties, why do you think you wont be around 48 years time?

7 Likes

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by starbuck(f): 10:57pm On Oct 30, 2020
Notatribalist:
From the look on your picture you seems to be in your twenties, why do you think you wont be around 48 years time?

Stop judging me by my picture cry cry, no be me creat myself... I am in my 30s and my 1st issue is already 11 years

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Goahead(m): 11:00pm On Oct 30, 2020
starbuck:

They must have learned how to fend for themselves..
"Learned" from you how to stay alive from asteroids smashing into earth?

4 Likes

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 30, 2020
Ever8090:
So what should we do?..shift the earth to avoid the clash or what...
grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Righteousness89(m): 11:58pm On Oct 30, 2020
Brothers/ Sisters! The Scientist can only operate based on Capacity the Almighty GOD allows them..

The Scientist are Flesh and Blood like me and you ! They also need Help as Events of the times has overwhelmed and Overshadowed them Completely...

We are Privileged to Have the Guide to Humanity!
We are Privileged to Have the Handbook Inspired by the CREATOR of All things!
The HOLY BIBLE has all we need to know of the times we are in!
From the Holy Bible! All Events Happening now are pointing to the Return of JESUS CHRIST..
All Events are Pointing to the RAPTURE of the Saints!
Please there is Need to Humble yourself and be Prepared for it..

After the RAPTURE! The things that would hit this Earth is way beyond Asteroids!
Go Read the Book of Revelation so you will have a knowledge of the things that hit the Earth! It is Humanly Unexplainable!!

Just Humble yourself, Surrender to JESUS so as not to be Here to Experience all that!

He/She that Hath Ears to Hear, Should Hear!

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by pozehnani(f): 12:03am On Oct 31, 2020
So long a post. Summary please!
Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by IdeeEsperanza(m): 12:26am On Oct 31, 2020
All lies! Believe it at your own ignorance.
Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Slimdan360: 12:28am On Oct 31, 2020
starbuck:

Stop judging me by my picture cry cry, no be me creat myself... I am in my 30s and my 1st issue is already 11 years
even if u are 40yrs old self plus 48yrs is just 88yrs,don't u want to click 90?
Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by starbuck(f): 12:31am On Oct 31, 2020
Slimdan360:

even if u are 40yrs old self plus 48yrs is just 88yrs,don't u want to click 90?

Gone is the era when one attains that age... I am not trying to be pessimistic but it's just the obvious

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Slimdan360: 12:34am On Oct 31, 2020
starbuck:

Gone is the era when one attains that age... I am not trying to be pessimistic but it's just the obvious
lol,I still see old people in this era,pls stop using your mouth to seal your fate

2 Likes

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by starbuck(f): 12:36am On Oct 31, 2020
Slimdan360:

lol,I still see old people in this era,pls stop using your mouth to seal your fate

Like i said earlier, I am not trying to be pessimistic, the old people you still see in this era, are they not our parents and grandparents

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Slimdan360: 12:43am On Oct 31, 2020
starbuck:

Like i said earlier, I am not trying to be pessimistic, the old people you still see in this era, are they not our parents and grandparents
were they not once like us,forget it,no matter how bad the world get, people will still grow old.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Cooldipoo(m): 1:58am On Oct 31, 2020
I am happy to introduce to you our range of portable energy solutions. Available for sale is a LiFePo4 battery-powered portable inverter system with a higher energy density than the traditional lead acid batteries many use for their inverter system over the years.

LiFePo4 stores more energy than than lead acid using the same physical sapce and can discharge more energy faster too, thus power more appliances for longer periods of time.

It has higher depth of discharge and effective capacity which guarantee longer life span and value for money. Higher efficiency means it charges faster and deliver more energy with a lifetime several times that of lead acid.

It’s usually the right decision to install a lithium battery given the many advantages of the technology – longer lifetime, higher efficiencies, and higher energy density. We have designed this setup with you in mind as it meet the basic daily needs of many business and family. NOW YOU CAN FINALLY BE IN CONTROL OF YOUR POWER SITUATION TO THE AMAZEMENT OF EVERYONE AROUND YOU, SAY BYE-BYE TO THE GENERATOR NOISE!

Our setup comes with with 1 year warranty & 10 years expected lifespan of the battery. It can power your;
LED Tv and Decoder (10hrs),
Laptop (16hrs),
Phone (at least 168hrs), Rechargeable fan (12 hrs)
Light, CCTV for many hours e.t.c.

It is solar compliant as it can be easily recharged with 150watt solar panel. Also available are lightening fast QC 3.0 fast charging powerbank and Wireless powerbank for your high end phones.

Contact us today https:///2348065316307 www.cooldipo.com
Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Hintona(f): 4:30am On Oct 31, 2020
Can I control this one like thunder? 'cause there's somebody's head that needs to be broken.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by eteebanky: 4:31am On Oct 31, 2020
we don't care in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by chinaka98295: 5:30am On Oct 31, 2020
:even if u are 40yrs old self plus 48yrs is just 88yrs,don't u want to click 90?Gone is the era when one attains that age... I am not trying to be pessimistic but it's just the obvious
Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by IKWUADA(m): 5:49am On Oct 31, 2020
Peterjnr123:
Go and read ur bible

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 31, 2020
Let it HIT it let's all rest

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by ruggedtimi(m): 6:37am On Oct 31, 2020
2068-Me: my grandson in my days NASA warned us about this collision.

4 Likes

Re: Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) by Snowfancy(m): 6:52am On Oct 31, 2020
what's the use of the atomic bombs and nukes you guys have been creating all over the world?
use it and destroy that thing before it gets near and thank me later shikenan!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow / 'Female Vampire' Shackled To Prevent Her Re-Incarnation Found In Poland (Graphic / Wandering Crocodile Captured On The Street Of Lagos (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.