Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,460 members, 7,781,326 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:32 PM

#endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / #endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality (449 Views)

Sex With Dog: Kemi Olunloyo Exposes The Reason Behind It / Mob Set A Motorcycle Thief Ablaze Behind Police Station (photos) / Dolapo Badmus Reacts To Police Brutality, Gives Stern Warning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

#endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality by olite93(m): 2:22pm On Nov 01, 2020
Hi all. happy new month and hope you're having a great Sunday.

Lemme share:

I had opportunity to speak to a member of the now defunct F-SARS here in Lagos, he was kind enough to share some information with me about the real reason behind police brutality in Nigeria.

I asked him, Mr Femi (not real name) why do fellow poor Nigerians(police officers) harass, maim, and sometimes kill fellow poor Nigerians some of whom are innocent and the guilty one's are just victims of their own Fatherland.

He said "the truth is that they themselves aren't monsters and killers but are also victims in the matter."
He made me understand that in his division, there are 6 tactical teams, these teams must deliver 20k each to d DPO weekly. (20,000 * 6 = 120,000 * 4weeks = 500k free money). For them to meetup, they have to do what we see them doing. That's why when they accost you and you try to stand up to them or refuse to comply they harass and brutalize the fellow. They do this unchecked because they know when they're asked, the DPO will defend them and d matter will be swept under the rug.

I compared this with what we see in stations; we all know that bail is supposed to be free but in Nigeria it's not esp. for the poor and helpless.

Over time the officers become comfortable with the money they make(them no fit give oga pass d 20k na) that's why we see them over using their powers.

This is not exclusive to the police department but other government agencies in the country.

I think if all government office holders at all levels start declaring their full assets before assuming office, and they're monitored by a transparent auditor, then maybe we'll see significant reduction in corruption and crime in our nation.

This needs to be across all levels of position big or small.

WE HAVE TOO MANY SELFISH PEOPLE AT THE HELMS OF POWER AND THEY'RE FRUSTRATING THE FEW GOOD PEOPLE THEREBY MAKING EVIL MORE LUCRATIVE.

A RICH CRIMINALS IS SEEN AS A ROLE MODEL WHILE THE MODEST ARE SPIT ON BECAUSE OUR VALUE SYSTEM HAS BEEN CORRUPTED AND WE WORSHIP MONEY OVER GOOD DEEDS.

My two kobo
God bless Nigeria.

@lalasticlala
@mynd44
@oam4j

Please lets know how true this is cos I'm sure we have police officers who are no users
Re: #endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality by SAMBARRY: 2:34pm On Nov 01, 2020
Ñigerian Police are despised by their oppressors and hated by the general public yet they choose to defend and protect their oppressors

I have no pity for police.theyre like lepers.they are not people you go close to or allow them close to you.theres no kind of evil they cannot do to force Money out of you

And you know what ,the people they're slaving away for and going to the streets for to bring money to them don't care about your welfare.whether your children are going to good schools, whether you are living talkless of health insurance.yet these nonentities called police would rather put their lives on the line to defend their tyrant masters

Tufiakwa
Re: #endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality by TecM0: 2:36pm On Nov 01, 2020
cool

Well it's no secret police makes returns to the DPO, while DPO makes returns to the Area Commander and Police Commissioner

However a very important point to note here is, Police Stations have poor allocation from the federal government, a station recieves less than 10k a month as running cost, sometimes they pay them nothing

A typical police station requires stationaries, bail application form, crime diary, statement form and many more, and police need money to print it...

A station to function requires an opreational vehicle with atleast 20 litters of fuel daily for patrol

Since they work 24/7 they require an active Generator to be fuelled and serviced

In other to make money to run the Station and also go home with enough money, the DPO uses 3 critical department,

MTD, (Motoring and Transport Department); a smart DPO knows out of 100 Nigerian Drivers on the road, 80% are guilty of one traffic offences or the other, some don't have drivers licence some have expired particulars, most don't follow traffic rules... This are number one money making prey, as guilty drivers prefer paying bribe than going to a magistrate court to pay fine

CID (criminal investigation department); plain cloth officers, this are the ones that prey on yahoo boys, they know things are hard and many youths have now turned from legit to yahoo, and the police simply search and prey on yahoo boys... It's easy money for them, and they always get victims quickly

PCRC; Police community relations committee..... This department goes to the land Lord and tenant CDA association to solicit for money, they go to rich men to beg for money, they offer protection to rich people for money,

*** About excessive use of force ****

*A criminal is reported to you as a police for breaking into people's shop at night, shops don't have CCTV, Police Station don't have Finger print and forensic test facility, yet the criminals insist they took nothing.... Most Police officers resort to torture at this point

Re: #endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality by Pierocash(m): 3:24pm On Nov 01, 2020
Police brutality isn't tied to the returns they make. When you know you aren't accountable to anybody, you behave as it pleases you, . they are laws unto themselves because they know there will be no consequences for their action.

When you have issue with one small girl,and he goes to call her boyfriend who happens to be a SARS man, he comes beat you up,brutalises you and threaten to shoot you without caring whether you are innocent or not. Is that action tied to the return they make?

They are simply power drunk, and have no respect for people ,that has nothing to do with returns.

Is it because of 20k return that will make SARS men to arrest an innocent person, take him to ATM and withdraw 200k,500k etc?

The guys are criminals using their uniform as immunity simple

1 Like

Re: #endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality by slawormiir: 3:27pm On Nov 01, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Nice one op

1 Like

Re: #endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality by Mcuzy(m): 4:10pm On Nov 01, 2020
Which victims?
Let me share a family's member latest experience with the Nigerian police.:
A man living in my aunt's compound died inside his house,and he was discovered when the Landlord went to draw rent and they found out it was locked on the inside.so they broke the door, called the family and the police.
The police arrested everyone livi in the compound and refused to listen to the dead man's family members to release the innocent. They were asked to pay ten thousand each but after much bargaining it was brought down to five thousand. They paid for every single person living in the compound (both available and unaware) Even people who travelled were asked to pay when they returned and one man who refused was arrested and he paid twenty thousand to free himself.
And they call themselves victims.
Bleep them
Re: #endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality by olite93(m): 8:11pm On Nov 01, 2020
TecM0:
cool

Well it's no secret police makes returns to the DPO, while DPO makes returns to the Area Commander and Police Commissioner

However a very important point to note here is, Police Stations have poor allocation from the federal government, a station recieves less than 10k a month as running cost, sometimes they pay them nothing

A typical police station requires stationaries, bail application form, crime diary, statement form and many more, and police need money to print it...

A station to function requires an opreational vehicle with atleast 20 litters of fuel daily for patrol

Since they work 24/7 they require an active Generator to be fuelled and serviced

In other to make money to run the Station and also go home with enough money, the DPO uses 3 critical department,

MTD, (Motoring and Transport Department); a smart DPO knows out of 100 Nigerian Drivers on the road, 80% are guilty of one traffic offences or the other, some don't have drivers licence some have expired particulars, most don't follow traffic rules... This are number one money making prey, as guilty drivers prefer paying bribe than going to a magistrate court to pay fine

CID (criminal investigation department); plain cloth officers, this are the ones that prey on yahoo boys, they know things are hard and many youths have now turned from legit to yahoo, and the police simply search and prey on yahoo boys... It's easy money for them, and they always get victims quickly

PCRC; Police community relations committee..... This department goes to the land Lord and tenant CDA association to solicit for money, they go to rich men to beg for money, they offer protection to rich people for money,

*** About excessive use of force ****

*A criminal is reported to you as a police for breaking into people's shop at night, shops don't have CCTV, Police Station don't have Finger print and forensic test facility, yet the criminals insist they took nothing.... Most Police officers resort to torture at this point

Then you've just given the endsars looters an excuse for their actions. If they're underfunded, let them protest. No excuse for crime esp at d expense of fellow Nigerians that are relatives to these officers.
Re: #endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality by TecM0: 8:12pm On Nov 01, 2020
olite93:

Then you've just given the endsars looters an excuse for their actions. If they're underfunded, let them protest. No excuse for crime esp at d expense of fellow Nigerians that are relatives to these officers.

You ask for an honest contribution to your thread and I gave you an insight,
Re: #endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality by olite93(m): 8:13pm On Nov 01, 2020
Pierocash:
Police brutality isn't tied to the returns they make. When you know you aren't accountable to anybody, you behave as it pleases you, . they are laws unto themselves because they know there will be no consequences for their action.

When you have issue with one small girl,and he goes to call her boyfriend who happens to be a SARS man, he comes beat you up,brutalises you and threaten to shoot you without caring whether you are innocent or not. Is that action tied to the return they make?

They are simply power drunk, and have no respect for people ,that has nothing to do with returns.

Is it because of 20k return that will make SARS men to arrest an innocent person, take him to ATM and withdraw 200k,500k etc?

The guys are criminals using their uniform as immunity simple

I concur. But some are just victims too.
Re: #endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality by olite93(m): 8:16pm On Nov 01, 2020
Mcuzy:
Which victims?
Let me share a family's member latest experience with the Nigerian police.:
A man living in my aunt's compound died inside his house,and he was discovered when the Landlord went to draw rent and they found out it was locked on the inside.so they broke the door, called the family and the police.
The police arrested everyone livi in the compound and refused to listen to the dead man's family members to release the innocent. They were asked to pay ten thousand each but after much bargaining it was brought down to five thousand. They paid for every single person living in the compound (both available and unaware) Even people who travelled were asked to pay when they returned and one man who refused was arrested and he paid twenty thousand to free himself.
And they call themselves victims.
Bleep them

When evil is not checked from the onset it spreads like wild fire...

1 Like

Re: #endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality by olite93(m): 8:20pm On Nov 01, 2020
TecM0:

You ask for an honest contribution to your thread and I gave you an insight,

Very wise and honest contribution. I believe there's always a reason for an action but it doesn't justify their brutality, and extortion.
Re: #endsars: The Real Reason Behind Police Brutality by olite93(m): 8:29am On Nov 02, 2020
The police force should be overhauled and reformed. It in no way meets intl standard

(1) (Reply)

Soldier Dragged For Stoning A Civilian In Lagos State / Ex-banker Bags One Year Jail Term For N11m ATM Fraud(photo) / Attention: Someone Is Trying To Phish My Information For Fraudulent Activities.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.