Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,897 members, 7,798,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:36 PM

What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? (59085 Views)

Oshiomhole Leads Rally With Shouts Of "Jagaban" (Video) / Moment Tinubu Touched Down In Warri Amidst Shouts Of "Jagaban" (video) / 'Disciples Of Jagaban' Storm Abuja For Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Eastlink(m): 8:32am On Nov 02, 2020
Ibadansun1:
Borgu were known as Bariba which once was a tribute state to Oyo empire.

Yes, Bariba are hausa cousins.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borgu

Bariba as a name is even Hausa. Baribawa is the full meaning, just like Nupeci and Yaribawa. Bariba is the name of the people, Borgu is their emirate, while Borgu LGA is the headquaters of Borgu emirate. Borgu emirates consist of several tribes, which includes the Bariba, Nupe, Fulani and many others. In Kwara state for instance, Baruten is seen as the remnant of Borgu emirate. Borgu emirate stretches from Benin republic, to Kwara north and up to parts of Niger state.

In the old Oyo empire, Borgu was an independent kingdom that had the same status as Nupe. Both were allies to Oyo. In fact, when Nupe under Tsoede invaded Oyo, it was in Borgu Kingdom Oyo people fled to. When Oyo finally got themselves after year's of rebuilding, that a new Alafin rose and took the battle to Nupe. Oyo never conquered Borgu. Rather both were allies who helped advanced the Oyo empire. However, when the Fulani began their Jihad, the trio of Nupe, Borgu and Oyo fell to the jihadist.

It was even said that Nupe and Borgu never really fell to Dan Fodio, but rather a few Nupe and Borgu sons solicited the flag from Sokoto to which they used in claiming their kingdoms to the Islamic fold. But when the deed was achieved, the Fulani sons within plotted their removal and installed Fulani Emirs in both Kingdoms, similar to what happened in Ilorin.

After cementing their claim to the throne, each Emir rallied the indigenes of both Borgu and Nupe to match towards Oyo. In fact, the army Alimi/Afonja used in fighting Oyo was gotten from the bulk of Nupe and Borgu kingdoms. Even when Oyo fell, it was these two kingdoms that continued the match down south, terrorizing Yorubaland until they were defeated in the hands of Ibadan warriors at Oshogbo.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by ElValiente(m): 8:42am On Nov 02, 2020
I love Nairaland. Learning.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by sinkhole: 8:43am On Nov 02, 2020
2by40ft:
'Ja gaban' Literally means pull forward in Hausa.
As title = Leader of any expedition
this reminds me of a Yoruba word "je gaba" grin
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Eastlink(m): 8:46am On Nov 02, 2020
yarimo:
BORGU is in north central, a local government in niger state. kainji dam is located in BORGU. the late emir haliru dantoro who was senator when bola Ahmed Tinubu was senator also . the late emir was BUHARI best friend.
You are right. Borgu is a local government in Niger state. The present Kainji falls under it. However, Borgu was once under Kwara until the people asked to be joined to Niger state in 1991. The Borgu emirates spreads from Niger to Kwara. As a matter of fact, Kwara North Senatorial zone falls under the old Borgu emirate. There’s even a Shonga Emirate in Edu local Government of Kwara north. I guess, this Emirate oversea the people of the whole Kwara north if I’m not mistaken. During our NYSC camp in Edu, the Emir of Shonga (A good man and former Army Colonel) who spoke fluent Yoruba visited us. He told us he’s the paramount ruler of the towns in Kwara north and that the old Oyo we knew about is what is known as Shonga.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Ibadansun1: 8:53am On Nov 02, 2020
Eastlink:
Bariba as a name is even Hausa. Baribawa is the full meaning, just like Nupeci and Yaribawa. Bariba is the name of the people, Borgu is their emirate, while Baruten is the headquaters of Borgu emirate. Borgu emirate stretches from Benin republic, to Kwara north and up to parts of Niger state.

In the old Oyo empire, Borgu was an independent kingdom that had the same status as Nupe. Both were allies to Oyo. In fact, when Nupe under Tsoede invaded Oyo, it was in Borgu Kingdom Oyo people fled to. When Oyo finally got themselves after year's of rebuilding, that a new Alafin rose and took the battle to Nupe. Oyo never conquered Borgu. Rather both were allies who helped advanced the Oyo empire. However, when the Fulani began their Jihad, the trio of Nupe, Borgu and Oyo fell to the jihadist.

It was even said that Nupe and Borgu never really fell to Dan Fodio, but rather a few Nupe and Borgu sons solicited the flag from Sokoto to which they used in claiming their kingdoms to the Islamic fold. But when they deed was been achieved, the Fulani sons plotted their removal and installed Fulani Emirs in both Kingdoms.

After cementing their claim to the throne, each Emir rallied the indigenes of both Borgu and Nupe to match towards Oyo. In fact, the army Alimi/Afonja used in fighting Oyo was gotten from the bulk of Nupe and Borgu kingdoms. Even when Oyo fell, it was these two kingdoms that continued the match down south, terrorizing Yorubaland until they were defeated in the hands of Ibadan warriors at Oshogbo.
You are mixing things up and history.

First of all, Nupe raided Oyo in different century from Fulani conquest of ilorin.

The Nupe were rightfully defeated after Oyo re grouped and pushed Nupe towards River Niger.

Borgu fell into Uthman Dafadio hands when Oyo army was defeated in Ilorin.

Why do you think Bariba have an Emire today?

Oyo army had the chief of army of Bariba nicknamed the wolf. I think it was emire shitta that defeated Oyo army because other Yoruba army generals like Ijesha left Oyo army alone in a crucial moment because they felt Baribas were given to prominent role in the Oyo army.

The relationship between Oyo and Bariba is even more pronounced in current Oyo state as some towns in Oyo state was founded by Baribas.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Ibadansun1: 8:56am On Nov 02, 2020
EdoDefence:

They were in alliance not slavery under the Oyo Kingdom
Even in their Wikipedia page they acknowledged that they gained their independence in 18 century. cheesy

Dahomey of Fon tribe and Borgu of Bariba paid homage to Oyo before 18 century.

Even majority of today Ewe.

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by EdoDefence: 8:59am On Nov 02, 2020
Ibadansun1:
Even in their Wikipedia page they acknowledged that they gained their independence in 18 century. cheesy

Dahomey of Fon tribe and Borgu of Bariba paid homage to Oyo before 18 century.

Even majority of today Ewe.

You do realise that anyone can put up a Wikipedia page?

Wikipedia is not a qualified resource for information.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Fash20: 8:59am On Nov 02, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

In his miserable life,no one know that fool in igboland.

Even though i don't like him, i won't say his life is miserable. The dude literarily owns Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Ibadansun1: 9:02am On Nov 02, 2020
EdoDefence:

You do realise that anyone can put up a Wikipedia page?

Wikipedia is not a qualified resource for information.
If you read about Bariba history you will find out the truth

Besides, if it was a lie the Baribas themselves would have removed it from their Wikipedia page all these while sir.

I hope you know that.

Even in your source, reference was made to various Vessel states of Oyo empire.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by EdoDefence: 9:05am On Nov 02, 2020
Ibadansun1:
If you read about Bariba history you will find out the truth

Besides, if it was a lie the Baribas themselves would have removed it from their Wikipedia page all these while sir.

I hope you know that.

Even in your source, reference was made to various Vessel states of Oyo empire.

There is little to nothing most people can do. Before you can remove already placed fabrications on Wikipedia you need to prove it and which will be very difficult in this type of country we live in
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Eastlink(m): 9:08am On Nov 02, 2020
Ibadansun1:
You are mixing things up and history.

First of all, Nupe raided Oyo in different century from Fulani conquest of ilorin.

The Nupe were rightfully defeated after Oyo re grouped and pushed Nupe towards River Niger.

Borgu fell into Uthman Dafadio hands when Oyo army was defeated in Ilorin.

Why do you think Bariba have an Emire today?

Oyo army had the chief of army of Bariba nicknamed the wolf. I think it was emire shitta that defeated Oyo army because other Yoruba army generals like Ijesha left Oyo army alone in a crucial moment because they felt Baribas were given to prominent role in the Oyo army.

The relationship between Oyo and Bariba is even more pronounced in current Oyo state as some towns in Oyo state was founded by Baribas.

I actually did my NYSC in Kwara. I knew all these history first hand as a Librarian in KWHA. Borgu, Bida and Ilorin we're not actually conquered in the same way like Kano Emirate. Each of them invited the Jihadist. In the case of Bida and Borgu, both collected Jihad flags from Dan Fodio. In simple sense, Borgu as an emirate was not even recognized until 1954 when the British joined Kaima and Bussa emirate to form it. The recognized emirate by Sokoto in that axis was Lafiaji before the Emir was demoted to a chief by the British. Today Lafiaji as a chiefdom falls under Shonga Emirate created when Borgu town joined Niger.

In the case of Ilorin, it was not recognized as an emirate until the coming of Sultan Bello (Heir to Usman Dan Fodio).

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by NgwalandAbia(m): 9:09am On Nov 02, 2020
Fash20:

Even though i don't like him, i won't say his life is miserable. The dude literarily owns Lagos.

I don't think so,his power ends with touts and his family.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Ibadansun1: 9:12am On Nov 02, 2020
Eastlink:
I actually did my NYSC in Kwara. I knew all these history first hand as a Librarian in KWHA. Borgu, Bida and Ilorin we're not actually conquered in the same way like Kano Emirate. Each of them invited the Jihadist. In the case of Bida and Borgu, both collected Jihad flags from Dan Fodio. Borgu as an emirate was not recognized until 1954 when the British joined Kaima and Bussa emirate to form it.

In the case of Ilorin, it was not recognized as an emirate until the coming of Sultan Bello (Heir to Usman Dan Fodio).
Sir Borgu was actually conquered sir

It was when Oyo was conquered than Baribas were conquered.

And Yes Ilorin was never recognized as an Emirate until the arrival of British on Nigerian soil.

Borgu is even far larger than Bruten and Kaima in kwara state, they occupy a decent portion of Western Niger state and Northern Benin republic.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Kyase(m): 9:14am On Nov 02, 2020
EdoDefence:

You mean your father?
Haba na
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Fash20: 9:15am On Nov 02, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

I don't think so,his power ends with touts and his family.

I guess you don't know how powerful he is in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Ibadansun1: 9:16am On Nov 02, 2020
EdoDefence:

There is little to nothing most people can do. Before you can remove already placed fabrications on Wikipedia you need to prove it and which will be very difficult in this type of country we live in
Actually Borgu are not only in Nigeria sir.

They make a decent percentage of Northern Benin Republic.

And before you can also add any information to Wikipedia, you have to back it up with a reference, so if the source is fraudulent, it can be removed in a seconds once it is reported.

Bariba and Dahomey were vessel states to Oyo empire.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by SpicyMimi(f): 9:17am On Nov 02, 2020
samunaka:
jagaban means the Slayer of PDP and the tamer of the IPOB lions
I think I’ll go with this grin though not a fan of Tinubu lol but I know other parties find him as a big threat lol

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by kalvoken(m): 9:17am On Nov 02, 2020
King of agberos. Shikina

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by NgwalandAbia(m): 9:18am On Nov 02, 2020
Fash20:

I guess you don't know how powerful he is in Lagos.

I don't care,how many is he feeding in Lagos..let him go and contest for another term if he is that powerful.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Xisnin(m): 9:19am On Nov 02, 2020
Eastlink:
Are you sure about this? Jagaban has an Hausa meaning and was used in the Fulani emirate of Borgu (part in present Benin republic). It has nothing to do with Oyo empire. As a matter of fact, apart from Bida emirate, they formed the main marauders that terrorized Yorubaland after the fall of Oyo.

The Borgu emirate is headquartered in Baruten in Kwara state and once ruled present Kwara north senatorial zone upwards towards Kainji in Niger state. It took Lord Lugard both blood and firepower to conquer them. Infact they mounted the highest resistance than any other emirate in the ancient Fulani sultanate. Even more than Kano and Sokoto.
He is right. Borgu was a vassal state to Oyo at some point. Many kingdoms formerly under Oyo empire also harrassed it when it fell.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Fash20: 9:20am On Nov 02, 2020
Ibadansun1:
Sir Borgu was actually conquered sir

It was when Oyo was conquered than Baribas were conquered.

And Yes Ilorin was never recognized as an Emirate until the arrival of British on Nigerian soil.

Borgu is even far larger than Bruten and Kaima in kwara state, they occupy a decent portion of Western Niger state and Northern Benin republic.

Just imagine the way the British redrew aftican boders. Having you closest culturally related ethnic group in another country and sharing your country with those you have nothing in common with just because of their selfish gain

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by zanshi: 9:21am On Nov 02, 2020
Name of a Gambari spy

Name of a slave
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by wisdomkid: 9:21am On Nov 02, 2020
samunaka:

After everything, you are still supporting this man?
AFRICA and AFRICANS... How we create our own problems and expect salvation from the white man.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by bobbybrown007: 9:22am On Nov 02, 2020
why go far when u can see it clearly, Just Accidentally Gain Addmission into Big Accumulating weath of Nigeria, sense will nt kill me. thats jagaban 4 u

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Dayoebe(m): 9:23am On Nov 02, 2020
Mere title of mere man
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Fash20: 9:23am On Nov 02, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

I don't care,how many is he feeding in Lagos..let him go and contest for another term if he is that powerful.

That's not possible now. He can say who and who doesn't become the next governor of Lagos.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by RightToReject(m): 9:24am On Nov 02, 2020
Jagaban as a word (formed from the Borgu word/phrase and title Ja a gabar) is a chieftaincy title equivalent in meaning and rank to the Yoruba word and title Asiwaju. Their meaning in English is leader of warriors/leaders.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by seanwilliam(m): 9:27am On Nov 02, 2020
EdoDefence:

You Afonjas and fabrication of history, Borgu was never under Oyo Kingdom and Oyo was never an Empire undecided
who told u oyo was never an empire? Who is feeding you that bullcrap??

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by Realmeks: 9:27am On Nov 02, 2020
Idiot Afonja person
samunaka:
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by mrmachine: 9:28am On Nov 02, 2020
yarimo:
BORGU was never under oyo kingdom
Borgu used to. In fact, the Soun Ogbomoso came from Bariba, he was given land when he overcame a dissident that was disturbing Oyo mesi in those days.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by lugo99(m): 9:28am On Nov 02, 2020
It means eruku, gangsta,animal in french it's called le' zanimo
Re: What Is The Meaning Of JAGABAN? by EdoDefence: 9:29am On Nov 02, 2020
seanwilliam:
who told u oyo was never an empire? Who is feeding you that bullcrap??

Oyo was a kingdom

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Official Fuel Price At Total Filling Station Today 12 May, 2016 Photo / Kiki Osinbajo Steps Out In Gucci Outfit (photos) / Caption This Photo Of Handshake Between Buhari And Ngige

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.